Your assistance is needed to ensure timely publication of death notices. At your earliest convenience, please report the death of a colleague or relative to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, ext 232; e-mail at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9239.
||Francis W. Andrews |
Dr. Andrews (COL '39), 90, Eugene, Ore., died Oct. 15, 2001. From 1949 until retirement in 1976, he practiced in Fort Jones, Calif. Following graduation, Dr. Andrews worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Boise, Idaho. Later, he practiced in Stayton, Ore. From 1976–1977 Dr. Andrews did development work in Cameroon, West Africa.
He was a member of the California VMA and the Oregon VMA. A World War II veteran, Dr. Andrews served as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps in the South Pacific Theatre. He is survived by his wife, Anne; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Holt International Children's Service, 1197 City View, Eugene, OR 97401.
||Ronald C. Banning |
Dr. Banning (OSU '68), 59, Bowie, Md., died Sept. 7, 2001. An equine practitioner, he was the president of Delaware Equine Consultation and Services Inc., in Bowie for 33 years. Dr. Banning was a past president of the Maryland Standard bred Breeders Association. He also served on the board of the Cloverleaf Standard bred Owners Association at Rosecraft Raceway in Fort Washington, Md.
Dr. Banning's wife, Beverly; two daughters; and a son survive him.
||Neal E. Chapin |
Dr. Chapin (ISU '52), 76, Lena, Ill., died Nov. 7, 2001. Prior to retirement in 1986, he was a partner at Lena Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Chapin is survived by his wife, Florence, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Neal E. Chapin Scholarship, Citizens State Bank, 102 West Main St., Lena, IL 61048.
||Marvin E. Epperson |
Dr. Epperson (ONT '33), 94, Galion, Ohio, died Aug. 20, 2001. Prior to retirement, he practiced in Galion. In 1945, Dr. Epperson began raising Aberdeen Angus cattle and Standardbred horses. A member of the Ohio VMA, he served as president in 1969. Dr. Epperson was also a member of the Crawford County VMA and the North Central Ohio VMA. He was on the Ohio Veterinary Medical Board for 11 years and served as president in 1983. Dr. Epperson received its Distinguished Service Award the same year.
Dr. Epperson was on the board of trustees of the Iberia Volunteer Fire Department until 2001. He was active in the Crawford County Humane Society, and supported agricultural exchange students. He is survived by his wife, Harriett, and two sons. One son, Dr. M. Boyd Epperson (OSU '58), is a veterinarian at Horizon Animal Hospital in Galion. Dr. Epperson's grandson, Dr. William B. Epperson (OSU '85), is a veterinarian in Volga, S.D.
Memorials may be made to the Crawford County Humane Society, 3590 State Route 98, P.O. Box 727, Bucyrus, OH, 44820, or First United Methodist Church, c/o Mark A. Schneider Funeral Home, 303 Portland Way N., Galion, OH 44833.
||Theron Goodson |
Dr. Goodson (TUS '72), 64, Reston, Va., died Sept. 25, 2001. He owned Market Street Animal Clinic in Leesburg, Va., for 22 years. Prior to that, Dr. Goodson owned Tall Oaks Animal Clinic in Reston for 10 years. He made house calls for elderly clients, and he also taught veterinary technology program courses at Northern Virginia Community College in Sterling. Dr. Goodson was a member of the Virginia VMA and the District of Columbia Academy of Veterinary Medicine. He served in the Air Force.
Dr. Goodson's wife, Wynetta; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to National Educational Humane Society, c/o Anna Briggs, P.O. Box 837, Leesburg, VA 20178.
||Karl S. Grady |
Dr. Grady (OSU '54), 76, Cincinnati, died Nov. 14, 2001. A small animal practitioner for 46 years, he owned Grady Veterinary Hospital in Cincinnati. Dr. Grady was a member of the Ohio VMA and a past chair of its Ethics Committee. He was also a member of the Ohio Veterinary Medical Board. Dr. Grady was a past president of the Cincinnati VMA and served as liaison representative between the association and the local SPCA. In 1970 and 1978, he received the Leadership Award and the Meritorious Award from the Ohio VMA, respectively. A member of the Kentucky VMA, Dr. Grady received the association's Distinguished Service Award in Oct 2001.
He furthered the veterinary profession in the academic and industrial communities as a member of the May Institute, and the Children's Hospital Research Foundation, as a staff member of the Medical School of the University of Cincinnati and Procter & Gamble, and as a consultant to the Richardson-Merrell Company.
Dr. Grady was a World War II veteran, a gunmen on a B-25 Mitchell bomber. He is survived by his wife, Jean; two sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Hospice of Cincinnati, 4310 Cooper Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242; or Save the Animals Foundation, P.O. Box 9356, Cincinnati, OH 45209.
||Roger V. Jessup |
Dr. Jessup (COL '47), 80, Glendale, Calif., died Aug. 3, 2001. Before retirement, he practiced equine medicine for 18 years. Prior to that, Dr. Jessup was involved with Jessup Breeders, an artificial insemination business for cattle that he co-founded. Early in his career, he practiced at Jessup Farms, a family-owned dairy.
During the latter portion of his career, Dr. Jessup donated his time to the Sheriff and Police horse divisions and was a volunteer at the 1984 Olympic equestrian events held in Los Angeles. His wife, Cheryl; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Ducks Unlimited, D/U Conservation Endowment, c/o Jon Rich, One Waterfowl Way, Memphis, TN 38120.
||Mark A. Quilty Jr. |
Dr. Quilty (AUB '43), 82, Lafayette, La., died Aug. 16, 2001. He was a large animal practitioner. During his 34-year career, Dr. Quilty served as chief veterinarian for Delta Downs racetrack in Vinton, La., for 17 years. A member of the Louisiana VMA, he was appointed by three governors to represent the association on the Louisiana Agriculture Commission. Dr. Quilty was a board member of the Lake Charles Water Company. His wife, Rose; a son; a daughter; a stepson; and two stepdaughters survive him.
||Wallace J. Rilett |
Dr. Rilett (MSU '53), 74, Mount Vernon, Iowa, died Nov. 27, 2001. Before retiring in 1989, he was a field sales veterinarian with Fort Dodge Laboratories. Following graduation, Dr. Rilett worked for the state of Wisconsin as a regional veterinarian for five counties in southeastern Wisconsin. Later, he practiced in Poplar Grove, Ill.
Dr. Rilett was a member of the Eastern Iowa VMA. His wife, Dorothy; two sons; and two daughters survive him.
||Lowell H. Roberts |
Dr. Roberts (ISU '60), 65, Yakima, Wash., died Sept. 10, 2001. Recently retired, he had worked for the Department of Agriculture as the inspector-in-charge at Washington Beef Inc., in Toppenish, Wash., for 15 years. Following graduation, Dr. Roberts practiced large animal medicine in Coming, Iowa.
||Daniel L. Thomas |
Dr. Thomas (OSU '52), 84, Wooster, Ohio, died Aug. 19, 2001. Prior to retirement, he had practiced in Wooster since 1954. From 1952–1954 Dr. Thomas worked at the Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center in Wooster. He spent almost two years in Tunisia with the U.S. Agency for International Development from 1967–1968. During his career, Dr. Thomas also served for one month in Rwanda, Africa, for the United Nations.
A member of the Ohio VMA, Dr. Thomas served on many of its committees. He was a past president of the Wooster Kiwanis Club. Dr. Thomas' wife, Virginia; a son; and a daughter survive him. His brother, Dr. William L. Thomas (OSU '54), is a veterinarian in Ashley, Ohio. Memorials may be made to Pilot Dogs (guide dogs for the qualified sightless), c/o James Pitman, Wooster Noon Lions, 8839 Fox Lake Road, Sterling, OH 44276; or the Ohio VMA, 3168 Riverside Drive, Columbus, OH 43221.
||David B. Walrath |
Dr. Walrath (GA '64), 69, De Funiak Springs, Fla., died Aug. 27, 2001. From 1990 until his death, he owned Aidmore Animal Clinic in De Funiak Springs. He also operated a satellite clinic in Freeport, Fla. Prior to that, Dr. Walrath worked for the Department of Agriculture as an inspector for four years. From 1969–1986 he owned English Plaza Animal Hospital in Homestead, Fla. Following graduation, Dr. Walrath established North Augusta Animal Hospital in North Augusta, S.C., practicing there for five years.
He was a member of the Florida VMA. Dr. Walrath was an Air Force veteran. His wife, Janet; three sons; and a daughter survive him.