Posted March 15, 2017
AVMA honor roll member
Frederick W. Besancon
Dr. Besancon (Michigan State ’43), 97, East Tawas, Michigan, died Jan. 11, 2017. He practiced small animal medicine in Michigan, in Detroit and Tawas City, for 30 years. Dr. Besancon later worked for the U.S. Department of Agiculture and Michigan Department of Agriculture for 10 years. He was a lifetime member of the Michigan VMA and was founding secretary-treasurer of the Northeastern Michigan VMA. Dr. Besancon served in the Army Medical Administrative Corps and Navy during World War II. His two sons, four grandchildren, and seven great-grandchildren survive him.
Don A. Boardman Jr.
Dr. Boardman (Cornell ’43), 95, Blossvale, New York, died Dec. 10, 2016. Following graduation, he served as a captain with the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II. From 1947 until retirement in 1996, Dr. Boardman practiced in Rome, New York, initially in mixed animal practice, focusing later on small animals. He also served as a meat inspector for the city of Rome, Oneida County, and the state of New York for 28 years.
Dr. Boardman was a member of the Central New York VMA and the American Legion. He is survived by his wife, Shirley Herder; two sons, three daughters, and a stepson; 10 grandchildren; several great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandchild. Memorials may be made to Sylvan Beach Union Chapel, P.O. Box 182, North Bay, NY 13123.
Clarence M. Burgher
Dr. Burgher (Cornell ’58), 86, Lewisburg, Pennsylvania, died Jan. 10, 2017. In 1960, he established Flower 202 Animal Hospital in Branchburg, New Jersey, where he practiced small animal medicine until retirement. During that time, Dr. Burgher also headed the Department of Laboratory Animal Care at E.R. Squibb Company in New Brunswick, New Jersey, for five years; was a research associate at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons; and consulted for several pharmaceutical companies. Early in his career, he practiced mixed animal medicine at Combs Animal Hospital in Shrewsbury, New Jersey, and Raritan Hospital for Animals in Edison, New Jersey. Dr. Burgher served on the board of directors of the Appalachian Horse Help and Rescue Association and was a member of the New Jersey and Metropolitan New Jersey VMAs and the Rotary Club. He served in the Army Medical Corps from 1948-1952. Dr. Burgher’s longtime companion, Lorraine Poore; three sons and two daughters; six grandchildren; and a great-grandchild survive him. Memorials may be made to Heifer International Inc., One World Ave., Little Rock, AR 72202.
Kenneth R. Butcher
Dr. Butcher (Michigan State ’57), 84, Hart, Michigan, died Jan. 19, 2017. Following graduation, he founded Hart Animal Clinic, where he practiced until retirement in 1995. Dr. Butcher served on the board of directors of Oceana Hospital and Hart Public Schools. He is survived by his wife, MaryJo; two daughters and two sons; eight grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren. Memorials may be made to Crystal Valley Care Fund, P.O. Box 451, Hart MI 49420; Hart Area Public Library, 415 S. State St., Hart, MI 49420; or Harbor Hospice 1050 W. Western Ave., Suite 400, Muskegon MI 49441.
Stewart C. Ellis
Dr. Ellis (Iowa State ’49), 91, Cold Spring, Minnesota, died Nov. 12, 2016. He was the founder of Cold Spring Veterinary Clinic and St. Joseph Veterinary Clinic in St. Joseph, Minnesota. Early in his career, Dr. Ellis served in the Army Veterinary Corps and worked in Minnesota at Bricelyn and Minneota. He was a founding member of the Rocori School Board. Dr. Ellis’ wife, Tildy; three sons; and eight grandchildren survive him.
Joseph J. Foerner
Dr. Foerner (Illinois ’65), 75, Plano, Illinois, died Nov. 7, 2016. An equine veterinarian, he was a partner at Illinois Equine Hospital in Naperville, Illinois, until semiretirement in 2003. Dr. Foerner was later on staff at the University of Wisconsin Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital and Morrie Waud Equine Clinic in Delavan, Wisconsin. He also served as a consultant for Critter Care Veterinary Services in Plano; the Brookfield Zoo in Brookfield, Illinois; Lincoln Park Zoo and Shedd Aquarium in Chicago; and Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus. A past president of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Dr. Foerner was known for his expertise in equine arthroscopic surgery. He served on the AVMA Council on Veterinary Service from 1998-2002 and was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and Illinois State VMA, serving on several of their committees. In 1996, he received the Searle Animal Health Practitioner Research Award for accomplishments in veterinary medical research. Dr. Foerner is survived by his wife, Dr. Kim Peterson (Minnesota ’93), a small animal practitioner in Plano; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Orthopedic Research Center, Office of Advancement, 1680 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523; Marmion Academy, 1000 Butterfield Road, Aurora, IL 60502; or Aurora Central Catholic Heritage Fund, 1255 N. Edgelawn Drive, Aurora, IL 60506.
Joseph M. Glenn
Dr. Glenn (Minnesota ’57), 86, Rio Verde, Arizona, died Sept. 15, 2016. He began his career practicing mixed animal medicine in Waconia, Minnesota. In 1966, Dr. Glenn moved to Mound, Minnesota, where he established Westonka Animal Hospital, practicing small animal medicine until retirement in 1992. He served on the Minnesota Board of Veterinary Medicine from 1990-1998 and was a lifetime member of the Minnesota VMA. Dr. Glenn was a past president of the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Society and the Mound Rotary Club. His wife, Jeanne; four sons and a daughter; and 11 grandchildren survive him. Memorials may be made to Animal Humane Society, Donor Services Department, 845 Meadow Lane N., Golden Valley, MN 55422.
Debra J. Kalkwarf
Dr. Kalkwarf (Purdue ’93), 49, Springboro, Ohio, died Jan. 11, 2017. She most recently worked as an emergency veterinarian for MedVet in Ohio at Cincinnati and Dayton. Earlier, Dr. Kalkwarf practiced small animal medicine in Ohio and Chicago. Her two brothers survive her. Memorials may be made to Purdue University College of Veterinary Medicine, Scholarship Fund, 625 Harrison St., West Lafayette, IN 47907; Warren County Humane Society, 230 Cook Road, Lebanon, OH 45036; or American Cancer Society, 2808 Reading Road, Cincinnati, OH 45206.
Walter M. Klein
Dr. Klein (Cornell ’45), 94, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, died Nov. 5, 2016. In 1962, he moved to Eau Claire, where he practiced mixed animal medicine until retirement in 1984. During that time, Dr. Klein co-owned Eau Claire Animal Hospital before establishing his own practice, The Ark. Earlier, he owned practices in Albany, New York; Spring Valley, Wisconsin; and Elmwood, Wisconsin. Dr. Klein helped raise funds for the establishment of the Eau Claire County Humane Association. A member of the Wisconsin VMA, he received a 50-year award in 2001. Dr. Klein was a past president of the Muscular Dystrophy Association and was active with the Young Men’s Christian Association and Girl Scouts.
His wife, Susan; a son, two daughters, and three stepchildren; three grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren survive him. Memorials may be made to the Eau Claire County Humane Association, 3900 Old Town Hall Road, Eau Claire, WI 54701; Jean Klein Memorial Fund, University of Wisconsin-Eau Claire Foundation Inc., Schofield Hall 214, 105 Garfield Ave., P.O. Box 4004, Eau Claire, WI 54702; or Muscular Dystrophy Association, P.O. Box 97075, Washington, DC 20077.
Bernard J. Lauhoff
Dr. Lauhoff (Missouri ’62), 84, Rancho Palos Verdes, California, died Feb. 9, 2017. He practiced primarily small animal medicine in California. Dr. Lauhoff was a life member of the California VMA and served on its insurance and wellness committees for many years. He was a veteran of the Air Force. Dr. Lauhoff is survived by his wife, Gloria; a daughter and a son; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Earl Keith Leitch
Dr. Leitch (Guelph ’62), 80, Wainwright, Alberta, died Dec. 17, 2016. A mixed animal veterinarian, he began his career in Punnichy, Saskatchewan. In 1963, Dr. Leitch moved to Wainwright, practicing at what would subsequently become Wainwright Veterinary Clinic. He took ownership of the practice in 1967, retiring in 1994. During that time, Dr. Leitch taught for a year in the large animal clinic at the University of Saskatchewan Western College of Veterinary Medicine, for which he was voted professor of the year. Dr. Leitch served on several committees of the Alberta VMA and was named Alberta Veterinarian of the Year in 1990. He was a member of the Wainwright Stampede Association and a founding member of the Wainwright Feeders Association. In 1994, the Wainwright Chamber of Commerce named him Citizen of the Year. He is survived by his wife, Dianne; two sons and a daughter; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Ralph B. Lind
Dr. Lind (Ohio State ’46), 93, Avon, Ohio, died Dec. 19, 2016. He founded and served as partner at Stark Animal Hospital in Canton, Ohio, where he initially practiced large animal medicine, focusing later on small animals. Dr. Lind was a member of the Ohio and Stark County VMAs. He was also a member of the Canton Rotary Club. Dr. Lind served in the Army during World War II. His two daughters, nine grandchildren, and several great-grandchildren survive him. Memorials may be made to Christian Community School, 35716 Royalton Road, North Eaton, OH 44044.
Donald W. MacDonald
Dr. MacDonald (Guelph ’54), 86, Edmonton, Alberta, died Jan. 9, 2017. He worked as an animal pathologist for the province of Alberta from 1967 until retirement in 1992. Following graduation, Dr. MacDonald established a practice in Daysland, Alberta. He later moved his practice to Lacombe, Alberta. Dr. MacDonald was a life member of the Alberta VMA. His wife, Jean; two sons; and a grandchild survive him. Memorials may be made to the Alberta Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 17904 118 Ave. NW, Edmonton, AB T5S 2W3, Canada.
Frank E. McClelland Jr.
Dr. McClelland (Cornell ’40), 98, Arden, North Carolina, died Dec. 29, 2016. Following graduation, he joined his late father and brother, Drs. Frank E. McClelland Sr. (Cornell ’09) and Robert McClelland (Cornell ’34), in small animal practice at McClelland Veterinary Hospital in Buffalo, New York. Dr. McClelland subsequently served as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps for five years before returning to practice. He was a past president of the New York State VMS, Niagara Frontier Veterinary Society, and Buffalo Academy of Veterinary Medicine, and a charter member of the New York State Association of Professions. In 1990, Dr. McClelland received an NYSVMS Distinguished Life Service Award. He was a past chair of the Delaware Family YMCA and was active with the Buffalo Rotary Club. Dr. McClelland’s two sons and a daughter survive him.
Donald L. Piermattei
Dr. Piermattei (Michigan State ’54), 85, Carr, Colorado, died Jan. 28, 2017. A past president of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, he was professor emeritus of veterinary surgery in the Department of Clinical Sciences and a former chief of small animal surgery at the Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences. Following graduation, Dr. Piermattei served two years in the Army Veterinary Corps. From 1956-1960, he worked as an instructor in the small animal clinic at the Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Piermattei subsequently spent two years in small animal practice in North Carolina before joining the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences as an assistant professor of veterinary medicine and surgery. In 1964, he became an associate professor. Dr. Piermattei was awarded a fellowship by the National Institutes of Health in 1966 to pursue postgraduate training in surgery at Colorado State University. He earned a doctorate in experimental surgery at CSU in 1970. Having joined the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine faculty as a professor in the Department of Veterinary Surgery and Radiology and head of small animal surgery in 1969, Dr. Piermattei went on to chair the department in 1971. In 1972, he left Minnesota for Colorado, conducting a referral surgical practice in Denver for seven years while maintaining an adjunct position at Colorado State University. Dr. Piermattei returned to full-time teaching at CSU in 1980, retiring in 1992. He continued to maintain a part-time surgical practice in Loveland, Colorado, until 2008.
A former editor of the ACVS journal, Veterinary Surgery, Dr. Piermattei co-authored “An Atlas of Surgical Approaches to the Bones of the Dog and Cat” and “A Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Treatment.” He was a past president of the Veterinary Orthopedic Society and served on the scientific advisory panel of the Morris Animal Foundation. Dr. Piermattei was also a past president of AOVET, a nonprofit organization representing a global network of surgeons, scientists, and other relevant groups highly specialized in the field of veterinary surgery of the musculoskeletal system. He received several honors, including the TAMU Faculty Distinguished Teaching Award and what is now known as the Zoetis Distinguished Veterinary Teacher Award in 1966, the MSU CVM Outstanding Alumnus and Distinguished Postdoctoral Veterinary Alumnus awards in 1980 and 1999, the World Small Animal Veterinary Association Saki Paatsama Award in 2002, and the ACVS Founders Award for Career Achievement in 2009.
Dr. Piermattei is survived by his wife, Marcia, and a son. Memorials may be made to Larimer County Humane Society, 5137 S. College Ave., Fort Collins, CO 80525.
Robert M. Sauer
Dr. Sauer (Pennsylvania ’52), 88, Potomac, Maryland, died Oct. 23, 2016. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he was a senior pathologist and vice president at Pathco, a veterinary toxicological pathology consulting firm in Ijamsville, Maryland, from 1983-1998. Dr. Sauer also consulted as a veterinary pathologist with several companies and government programs throughout his career.
Following graduation, he worked two years as a field veterinarian with the New Jersey Bureau of Animal Industry. During that time, Dr. Sauer also began teaching at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, where he eventually became an associate professor of pathology and headed the university’s pathology laboratory. He later moved to the Washington, D.C., area, working as a pathologist at the Smithsonian Institution’s National Zoological Park from 1968-1974 and serving as a clinical professor of pathology at the George Washington University School of Medicine from 1969-1976. Prior to joining Pathco in 1983, Dr. Sauer was chief of veterinary sciences at the Gillette Medical Evaluation Laboratories in Rockville, Maryland.
He is survived by his wife, Dr. Dawn G. Goodman (Pennsylvania ’69), a consultant in toxicological pathology; two sons and two daughters; five grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.