AVMA honor roll member
Elwyn L. Church
Dr. Church (KSU ’49), 86, Beach, N.D., died June 27, 2013. Prior to retirement in 1988, he worked for the Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service for 21 years. During that time, Dr. Church served as a veterinary medical officer and foreign animal disease diagnostician, was a member of task forces on hog cholera and Newcastle disease, and helped in the efforts to eradicate diseases such as tuberculosis and brucellosis. Early in his career, Dr. Church practiced mixed animal medicine in Battle Creek, Neb. He is survived by a son and two daughters; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren. Dr. Church’s brother, Dr. Douglas Church (KSU ’55), is a veterinarian in Salem, Ore.
Cecil R. Johnson
Dr. Johnson (IL ’52), 91, Decatur, Ill., died Aug. 4, 2013. He practiced large animal medicine in the greater Blue Mound and Decatur areas of Illinois for 40 years, focusing on equine medicine toward the end of his career. Dr. Johnson was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. He served in the Navy during World War II. Memorials may be made to the Humane Society of Decatur and Macon County, 2890 N. Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, Decatur, IL 62526; Homeward Bound Pet Shelter, 1720 Huston Drive, Decatur, IL 62526; or Kingdom Hall of Jehovah’s Witnesses, 876 W. Pershing Road, Decatur, IL 62526.
Leo J. Kirkegaard
Dr. Kirkegaard (ISU ’51), 89, Sioux City, Iowa, died July 11, 2013. He founded South Omaha Animal Hospital in Omaha, Neb., and practiced mixed animal medicine prior to retirement in 1982. Dr. Kirkegaard also co-owned the Animal Emergency Clinic in Omaha. He was a Navy veteran of World War II. Dr. Kirkegaard is survived by two daughters; eight grandchildren; and nine great-grandchildren. Memorials in his name may be made to the Siouxland Humane Society, 1015 Tri-View Ave., Sioux City, IA 51103.
Clyde E. Lanfair
Dr. Lanfair (COR ’43), 92, Bennington, Vt., died June 5, 2013. Prior to retirement in 1991, he owned a mixed animal practice in Bennington. Earlier in his career, Dr. Lanfair served as a livestock inspector for the state of Vermont. He is survived by his wife, Beatrice; two sons; two stepsons; and three stepdaughters.
Michael T. Lender
Dr. Lender (OSU ’73), 68, Orange, Conn., died July 10, 2013. A small animal veterinarian, he founded Orange Veterinary Hospital, where he practiced for almost 40 years. Early in his career, Dr. Lender worked at Fairport Animal Hospital in Orange. He was a member of the Connecticut VMA. Dr. Lender’s wife, Marilyn; three daughters; and a son survive him.
Dr. Motta (COR ’53), 90, Highland Village, Texas, died July 2, 2013. A mixed animal practitioner, he founded New Bedford Veterinary Hospital in New Bedford, Mass., where he practiced until retirement in 1992. During his career, Dr. Motta also served as the city’s inspector of animals and was the on-call veterinarian for the Buttonwood Park Zoo. He served in the Marine Corps during World War II. Dr. Motta was active with the Boy Scouts. He is survived by his wife, Sylvia; three sons and two daughters; 12 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Theodore B. Patek
Dr. Patek (ISU ’49), 89, Yuma, Ariz., died April 1, 2013. He practiced primarily large animal medicine in Randolph, Wis., for 40 years prior to retirement. Dr. Patek was a lifetime member of the Dodge County VMA. He served in the Navy during World War II. Dr. Patek is survived by a daughter; four sons; and four grandchildren.
James L. Voss
Dr. Voss (COL ’58), 79, Fort Collins, Colo., died July 12, 2013. Prior to retirement in 2001, he was dean of the Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences for 15 years. As dean, Dr. Voss fostered a successful period of growth in terms of buildings, research funding, faculty numbers, postgraduate training, and impact of the college on the veterinary profession. Under his guidance, the college also established its Veterinary Teaching Hospital, which was subsequently named in his honor.
Dr. Voss began his career at Colorado State in 1958 as an ambulatory veterinarian. He went on to head the clinical sciences department at the College of Veterinary Medicine prior to becoming dean in 1986. Known for his expertise in equine medicine and his contributions to equine research, Dr. Voss was a past president of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. He was also a past president of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges and the Colorado VMA. Dr. Voss served on the AVMA Council on Education from 1997-2001. He received several honors, including the AAEP Distinguished Life Membership Award in 2002 and the CSU Honor Alumnus Award in 2004.
Dr. Voss is survived by his wife, Kathleen; two sons and a daughter; and seven grandchildren. One son, Dr. Edward D. Voss (KSU ’91), is a veterinarian in Chandler, Ariz. Memorials may be made to Colorado State University/Equine Reproduction Laboratory, CVMBS Dean’s Office, Colorado State University, 1601 Campus Delivery, Fort Collins, CO 80523.