Posted July 1, 2013
AVMA honor roll member
William H. Brunn
Dr. Brunn (MSU ’47), 88, Silver Spring, Md., died March 12, 2013. Prior to retirement in 1990, he practiced small animal medicine at Ambassador Animal Hospital in Silver Spring. Earlier in his career, Dr. Brunn served in the Army and practiced in Canton, Ohio. He was a member of the District of Columbia VMA. Dr. Brunn is survived by three sons.
Robert K. Gubser
Dr. Gubser (ISU ’55), 81, Panora, Iowa, died March 6, 2013. He practiced mainly large animal medicine in Bagley, Iowa, from 1957-1970. After that, Dr. Gubser served as a senior bank official for several years. From 1994 until retirement in 2009, he managed farms and sold real estate. Dr. Gubser was a veteran of the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of 1st lieutenant. His wife, Vicki; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Companion Animal Fund, Iowa State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, 1600 S. 16th St., Room 1528 LVMC, Ames, IA 50011.
Lloyd T. Harris
Dr. Harris (AUB ’75), 64, Emerald Isle, N.C., died April 21, 2013. A small animal practitioner, he began his career at Jacksonville Veterinary Hospital in Jack-sonville, N.C. Dr. Harris later co-established College View Veterinary Clinic and Coastal Veterinary Emergency Clinic in Jacksonville. He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and North Carolina VMA. Dr. Harris served on the Onslow County Board of Health and was a member of the advisory councils of Northwoods Elementary and Northwoods Park Middle schools. He was also a member of the Jacksonville Rotary Club. Dr. Harris is survived by his wife, Lane, and two sons. Memorials may be made to Carolina Animal Protection Society, P.O. Box 32, Jacksonville, NC 28541; Swansboro United Methodist Church–Ministry Center Fund, 665 W. Corbett Ave., Swansboro, NC 28584; or Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
Max J. Herman
Dr. Herman (UP ’59), 81, Collegeville, Pa., died April 24, 2013. A diplomate of the American Veterinary Dental College, he founded Animal Dental Clinic in Norristown, Pa., in 1998. Following graduation, Dr. Herman served as a captain in the Air Force. In 1963, he established Trooper Veterinary Hospital in Norristown. During his career, Dr. Herman also worked with the Elmwood Park Zoo and co-founded the American Museum of Veterinary Medicine. In 2004, the University of Pennsylvania honored him for his work with the zoo, and the Pennsylvania VMA recognized his role in co-founding the museum in 2005. Dr. Herman was a past president of the Rotary Club of Norristown and a Paul Harris Fellow. His wife, Judy; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Dr. Herman’s son, Dr. Michael J. Herman (UP ’81), is a small animal veterinarian in Norristown. Memorials may be made to Rotary Foundation, c/o Rotary Club of Norristown, P.O. Box 119, Oaks, PA 19456; or University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Office of Development and Alumni Relations, 3800 Spruce St., Suite 172E, Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Jean E. Hooks
Dr. Hooks (IL ’70), 66, St. George, Utah, died Feb. 8, 2013. A small animal practitioner, she owned Zion Veterinary Clinic in Hurricane, Utah. Following graduation, Dr. Hooks became the first woman to be commissioned in the Army Veterinary Corps, serving as a captain during the Vietnam War. She later worked in Maryland and trained search and rescue dogs for more than 20 years. Dr. Hooks is survived by her daughter. Memorials may be made to Morris Animal Foundation, 10200 E. Girard Ave., Suite B430, Denver, CO 80231.
Thomas F. Hubert
Dr. Hubert (TEX ’58), 78, George West, Texas, died March 26, 2013. A retired mixed animal practitioner, he had owned Hubert Veterinary Hospital in George West and Alice, Texas, and co-owned Alamosa Animal Hospital in Alice, during his career. Dr. Hubert also farmed and ranched. He was a member of the Texas and Corpus Christi VMAs. Active in civic life, Dr. Hubert served as a director of the First National Bank of George West and was a member of the George West Independent School District board of directors. He is survived by his wife, Dee Ann, and four sons. Dr. Hubert’s granddaughter, Dr. Amanda H. Smith (TEX ’10), is a small animal veterinarian in Buda, Texas, and his nephew, Dr. Francis A. Hubert (TEX ’88), practices small animal medicine in Corpus Christi.
John F. Krob
Dr. Krob (ISU ’53), 83, Tipton, Iowa, died Feb. 1, 2013. A mixed animal veterinarian, he practiced at Tipton Veterinary Clinic for 38 years. Dr. Krob was a member of the Iowa VMA. A veteran of the Korean War, he served as a 1st lieutenant in the Air Force. Dr. Krob was active with the Tipton Lions Club. His wife, Carolyn; three daughters; and three sons survive him.
Arthur O. Lindblom Jr.
Dr. Lindblom (COR ’53), 88, Palm Harbor, Fla., died March 14, 2013. Prior to retirement, he served as director of veterinary services for Florida’s Pinellas County for 16 years. Early in his career, Dr. Lindblom practiced mixed animal medicine in Ashville, N.Y. He was a Navy veteran of World War II. Dr. Lindblom is survived by his wife, Ethel; two sons; and a daughter.
Robert A. Mavian
Dr. Mavian (COR ’62), 76, Ossining, N.Y., died April 20, 2013. A small animal veterinarian, he established Millwood Animal Hospital in Millwood, N.Y., where he practiced until 2011. Earlier in his career, Dr. Mavian worked in Kentucky and in New York state at Long Island and Briarcliff Manor. His wife, Barbara; a daughter; and a son survive him.
Jeffrey W. Miller
Dr. Miller (OSU ’75), 64, Lake Helen, Fla., died Feb. 4, 2013. He was a partner at Deltona Animal Medical Center and Pine Ridge Pet Hospital, small animal practices in Deltona, Fla. Dr. Miller’s wife, Janet; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the ALS Association, 1275 K. St. N.W., Suite 1050, Washington, DC 20005; or Mayo Clinic, Department of Development, 200 First St. S.W., Rochester, MN 55905.
Marla A. Minuskin
Dr. Minuskin (IL ’85), 53, Chicago, died May 3, 2013. A small animal practitioner, she co-founded Family Pet Animal Hospital in Chicago. Dr. Minuskin was a member of the Chicago VMA.
James R. O’Connor Jr.
Dr. O’Connor (COR ’69), 67, Hamptonburgh, N.Y., died Dec. 13, 2012. He owned Washingtonville Animal Hospital in Washingtonville, N.Y., for more than 40 years, initially practicing mixed animal medicine and later focusing on small animals. With a special interest in equine medicine, Dr. O’Connor also served as primary veterinarian for Big Apple Farms, a Thoroughbred farm in Goshen, N.Y., in the 1980s. Dr. O’Connor’s wife, Joyce; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, St. Jude Tribute Program, P.O. Box 1000, Department 142, Memphis, TN 38101; FISH of Blooming Grove (providing social services), P.O. Box 202, Washingtonville, NY 10992; or Blooming Grove Humane Society, 2741 Route 94, Washingtonville, NY 10992.
James F. Palmer
Dr. Palmer (IL ’53), 86, Bozeman, Mont., died April 22, 2013. From 1972 until retirement, he worked for the Department of Agriculture. During that time, Dr. Palmer served two years in Australia with the USDA’s foreign programs unit. Earlier in his career, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Roseville, Ill., and served as a veterinarian for the state of Hawaii, focusing on swine disease control. Dr. Palmer was an Army veteran of World War II. During his time in Roseville, he served as president of its school board. Dr. Palmer’s three sons and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Gallatin Mental Health Center, 699 Farmhouse Lane, Bozeman, MT 59715.
Morris L. Povar
Dr. Povar (COR ’44), 93, Boca Raton, Fla., died March 22, 2013. In 1970, he joined the faculty of Brown University in Providence, R.I., where he spent the last 20 years of his career. During his tenure, Dr. Povar was a professor of psychology and medical science, served as a laboratory animal veterinarian, and directed animal care facilities that he helped design and deploy. He also conducted research and authored articles on eye movement in rhesus monkeys, development of implantable teeth, and anti-retroviral vaccines.
Following graduation, Dr. Povar served in the Army during World War II, attaining the rank of captain. He then joined his late brother, Dr. Ralph Povar, in practice in East Providence, co-owning first a mixed practice and then co-establishing Povar Animal Hospital, a small animal practice. In retirement, Dr. Povar volunteered at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton, working on the university’s animal research program and facilities and serving more than 20 years on its Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee. He was a past president of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science and American Society for Laboratory Animal Practitioners. In 2011, Florida Atlantic University honored Dr. Povar with its Presidential Distinguished Service Medallion.
His wife, Lotte; a daughter; and a son survive him. Dr. Povar’s nephew, Dr. Mark Povar (MSU ’67), is a small animal veterinarian in East Providence. Memorials may be made to Brown University, 75 Waterman St., Providence, RI 02906.
William D. Segula
Dr. Segula (MSU ’55), 84, Milford, Mich., died March 6, 2013. He is survived by two daughters and a son.
Laura E. Smiley-Rogatz
Dr. Smiley-Rogatz (COR ’87), 59, Blue Bell, Pa., died May 15, 2013. A small animal veterinarian, she co-owned Gwynedd Veterinary Hospital in Landsdale, Pa., with her husband, Dr. William Rogatz (COR ’82). Dr. Smiley-Rogatz was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine. She is survived by her husband and a son. Memorials may be made to Stray Cat Blues Inc
., P.O. Box 8, Colmar, PA 18915 ; or World Wildlife Fund,
1250 24th St. N.W., Washington, DC 20037.
Charles L. Smith
Dr. Smith (AUB ’49), 90, Huntsville, Ala., died Nov. 21, 2012. He owned Smith Animal Hospital in Huntsville, where he practiced mixed animal medicine for almost 55 years. During that time, Dr. Smith also organized rabies clinics in Alabama’s Madison County. He was a member of the Rotary Club. Dr. Smith’s son survives him. Memorials in honor of Dr. Charles L. and Ann Riley Smith may be made to First United Methodist Church, 120 Greene St. S.E., Huntsville, AL 35801; or Floyd Fann State Veterans Home, 2701 Meridian St., Huntsville, AL 35811.
Lecreca A. Taliaferro
Dr. Taliaferro (TEX ’94), 46, Haslet, Texas, died May 8, 2013. A small animal practitioner, she owned Elite Veterinary Care in Hurst, Texas, and served as a consultant for pet behavioral issues. Dr. Taliaferro is survived by her husband, Chuck, and two daughters. Memorials in her name may be made to the LST Family Scholarship, FirstBank Southwest, P.O. Box 929, Perryton, TX 79070.
Edward M. Taylor
Dr. Taylor (GA ’71), 66, Big Canoe, Ga., died May 1, 2013. A diplomate of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners and a past president of the Academy of Veterinary Dentistry, he owned Virginia Veterinary Dentistry in Crozet, Va., since 2006. Prior to that, Dr. Taylor owned Powers Ferry Animal Hospital and Crabapple Animal Hospital, small animal practices in Atlanta and Alpharetta, Ga, respectively. During his career, he volunteered dental services at the Belize Zoo, Belize City. Dr. Taylor’s wife, Dr. Lynne S. Taylor (UP ’78), a public health veterinarian for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Charlottesville-Albemarle Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 3355 Berkmar Drive, Charlottesville, VA 22901; Wildlife Center of Virginia, 1800 S. Delphine Ave., Waynesboro, VA 22980; Big Canoe Animal Rescue, Big Canoe, GA 30143; or Belize Zoo, Belize City, Belize.
Kenneth D. Weide
Dr. Weide (KSU ’58), 79, Lincoln, Neb., died March 31, 2013. From 1984 until retirement in 1998, he was executive director of the Western Veterinary Conference. Following graduation, Dr. Weide practiced mixed animal medicine in Platte City, Mo. From 1959-1962, he served as an instructor at the Ohio Agricultural Experiment Station. After earning his doctorate in veterinary pathology from Michigan State University in 1962, Dr. Weide joined the faculty of Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine as an associate professor of pathology and served as the first director of the Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory. In 1967, he was appointed head of the Department of Veterinary Science and first director of the Animal Disease Research and Diagnostic Laboratory at South Dakota State University. From 1971-1973, Dr. Weide served as the first extension veterinarian at Arizona State University. He was named dean of the MU College of Veterinary Medicine in 1973, serving in that position until 1981. Dr. Weide remained on the faculty of the University of Missouri-Columbia until 1986, during which time he began his service as executive director of the Western Veterinary Conference.
He was a past president of the WVC, a past chairman of the North Central Conference of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, and a past secretary of the Kansas Swine Repopulation Association. Dr. Weide also served as a consultant to the Kansas State Board of Health and was an honorary member of the Arizona Academy of Veterinary Practice. He is survived by a daughter and two sons. Contributions toward a memorial in his name at Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine may be made c/o Lee R. Weide, 834 County Road 2400, Crete, NE 68333.
Please report the death of a veterinarian promptly to the JAVMA News staff via
a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email at email@example.com; or fax at (847) 925-9329.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified within six months of the date of death.