July 01, 2013

 

 Obituaries

Posted June 19, 2013

 

AVMA member
AVMA honor roll member
Nonmember

 

Anthony W.P. Basher
Dr. Basher (LON ’81), 54, Tucson, Ariz., died Nov. 9, 2012. Following graduation from the Royal Veterinary College at the University of London in 1981, he worked at the college; practiced small animal medicine in Calgary, Alberta; and was a professor and clinician at the Atlantic Veterinary College on Prince Edward Island in Canada. In 1996, Dr. Basher joined The Veterinary Specialty Hospital in Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., where he practiced for 15 years. Most recently, he was working for Eye Care for Animals at clinics in Tucson, Ariz., and in California at Temecula and Santa Monica.

During his career, Dr. Basher consulted for the San Diego Zoo and SeaWorld San Diego and worked with rescue groups in that city. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons and American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists, he was a member of the Royal College of Veterinary Surgeons, British Small Animal Veterinary Association, Canadian VMA, and San Diego County VMA. Dr. Basher’s former wife, Dr. Kim Basher (PEI ’97), is a small animal veterinarian in Boulder, Colo. Memorials may be made to the Coral Reef Alliance, Coral Membership, 351 California St., Suite 650, San Francisco, CA 94104, www.coral.org; or Snow Leopard Trust, 4649 Sunnyside Ave. N., Suite 325, Seattle, WA 98103, www.snowleopard.org

Mark A. Cunningham
Dr. Cunningham (PUR ’82), 56, Lebanon, Ind., died Jan. 5, 2013. He owned All Animals Veterinary Clinic, a mixed animal practice in Lebanon, since 1991. Earlier in his career, Dr. Cunningham practiced in Seymour, Ind. He was a member of the Indiana VMA. A past member of the Boone County Health Board, he was active with the 4-H Club. Dr. Cunningham’s wife, Beverly; two daughters; and a son survive him. One daughter, Dr. Devin N. Kistler (PUR ’11), has practiced at All Animals Veterinary Clinic since 2011. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Mark Cunningham 4-H Memorial Fund, 1300 E. 100 S., Lebanon, IN 46052.

Donald E. DeTray
Dr. DeTray (OSU ’40), 95, Hilo, Hawaii, died April 5, 2013. He retired in 1973 as regional livestock adviser for the Inter-African Bureau for Animal Resources after a 22-year involvement with efforts to eradicate rinderpest. At retirement, Dr. DeTray saw near completion of the 12-year Joint Campaign Against Rinderpest in Africa, a program put together by several countries and the United Nations, in which he played an important role. He began his career in private practice in Ohio with his father, the late Dr. Ervin DeTray. In 1947, Dr. DeTray joined the Department of Agriculture, moving to Mexico soon after to work on foot-and-mouth disease control. He was then stationed in Beltsville, Md., where he conducted research on brucellosis for a few years.

In 1951, Dr. DeTray joined the staff of what was known as the USDA Animal Disease and Parasite Research Division and worked for 10 years at the Kabete and Muguga Veterinary Research laboratories in Kenya, researching rinderpest and African swine fever. He then returned to the United States and served as assistant to the director of the ADPRD, and, in 1963, was named associate director of the division. He returned to Africa in 1966, representing the U.S. Agency for International Development. In his new role, Dr. DeTray assisted with the efforts against rinderpest and ASF and coordinated animal disease programs in several countries, including Nigeria, Kenya, and Ethiopia. He also served as a consultant with the USDA during this time.

He retired to Medford, Ore. Dr. DeTray is survived by two sons.
 
Duane F. Diemer
Dr. Diemer (ISU ’56), 80, Britt, Iowa, died April 2, 2013. He owned a mixed animal practice in Britt for almost 50 years. Dr. Diemer served on the Britt School Board and City Council and was a member of the Britt Chamber of Commerce and Rotary Club. His wife, Beverly; two sons; and a daughter survive him. One son, Dr. James D. Diemer (ISU ’82), is a mixed animal veterinarian in Britt.

Stephen K. Ellis
Dr. Ellis (COR ’70), 67, Vassalboro, Maine, died April 10, 2013. From 1980 until retirement in 2009, he worked for the De-partment of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. During that time, Dr. Ellis was involved with animal disease control in the United States, South America, and western Europe. Toward the end of his career, he led a successful campaign to control infectious salmon anemia in Maine. Prior to joining the USDA, Dr. Ellis practiced small animal medicine in Plattsburgh, N.Y.; served as a partner in a large animal practice in Oakfield, N.Y.; and worked for the Maine Department of Agriculture. An avid orchard grower, he volunteered at the Maine Coastal Botanic Gardens and was active with the Friends of Baxter State Park.

Dr. Ellis is survived by his life partner, Rose Rodrigue; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Augusta Nature Education Center, P.O. Box 5335, Augusta, ME 04332; Friends of Baxter State Park, P.O. Box 609, Union, ME 04862; or Maine Appalachian Trail Club, P.O. Box 283, Augusta, ME 04332.
 
Gregory J. Fleming
Dr. Fleming (PEI ’98), 46, Lake Buena Vista, Fla., died March 9, 2013. A diplomate of the American College of Zoological Medicine, he was a veterinarian with Disney’s Animal Kingdom in Orlando, Fla. Dr. Fleming was active with the Turtle Survival Alliance and was a past member of the TSA Steering Committee. He was known for his expertise in turtle breeding, managing one of the few successful breeding groups of Sulawesi Forest Turtles in the United States. Memorials toward a scholarship fund in Dr. Fleming’s name may be made c/o Jennifer Robson, P.O. Box 1120, Carstairs, Alberta, Canada TOM ONO.

John D. Goebel
Dr. Goebel (COR ’45), 89, Palm Beach Gardens, Fla., died Feb. 7, 2013. He practiced mixed animal medicine in New City, N.Y., for almost 50 years, first at County Animal Hospital and later at Goebel Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Goebel was an Army veteran of World War II. He is survived by his wife, Shirley; a daughter; and two sons. Memorials may be made to Another Step Inc., 706 Executive Blvd., Valley Cottage, NY 10989.
 
Elbert B. Jasper
Dr. Jasper (OSU ’49), 89, Berea, Ohio, died March 5, 2013. Prior to retirement in 1971, he worked for the Department of Ag-riculture in animal inspection and quarantine services. Early in his career, Dr. Jasper did tuberculosis testing in southwest Ohio and served as an assistant veterinarian for the state of Tennessee. He was a member of the Cleveland Zoological Society, Great Lakes Historical Society, and Masonic Lodge. Dr. Jasper served in the Army during World War II. Memorials may be made to Columbia United Methodist Church, 25453 Royalton Road, Columbia Station, OH 44028.

John O. Mason
Dr. Mason (UP ’53), 86, Boone, N.C., died April 30, 2013. Prior to retirement in 1988, he owned a mixed animal practice in Norwich, N.Y., for more than 30 years. Dr. Mason was an Army veteran of World War II. His wife, June, and four sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Medi Home Hospice, 136 Furman Road, Suite 2, Boone, NC 28607; or Hospitality House, P.O. Box 309, Boone, NC 28607.

David K. Rice
Dr. Rice (UP ’45), 91, Warren, Pa., died Nov. 30, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1992, he owned a practice in Warren, initially focusing on small animal medicine and later working with large animals. Dr. Rice was a past president of the Pennsylvania VMA and served on the Pennsylvania State Board of Veterinary Medicine for six years. He was a veteran of the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of captain.

Active in civic life, Dr. Rice was a past president of the Pennsylvania State Association of County Commissioners and a past chair of the Warren County Board of Commissioners. He served on the Conewango Township and Warren County school boards. Dr. Rice’s wife, Alice; three sons; and a daughter survive him. One son, Dr. Robert M. Rice (UP ’73), is a veterinarian in Rockville, Md. Memorials may be made to Hospice of Warren County, 2 W. Crescent Park, Warren, PA 16365; Rouse Memorial Fund, 701 Rouse Ave., Youngsville, PA 16371; or Irvine Presbyterian Church, National Forge Road, Irvine, PA 16329.

Susan Saueressig-Riegel
Dr. Saueressig-Riegel (MUN ’53), 88, St. Louis, Mo., died Feb. 8, 2013. She moved to the United States in 1955 following her graduation from Ludwig Maximillan University in Munich and joined the Humane Society of Missouri in St. Louis. During her 55-year career with the HSMO, Dr. Saueressig-Riegel served as chief of veterinary services for 32 years. She wrote the “Ask the Pet Doctor” column for the St. Louis Globe-Democrat from 1979-1985 and campaigned for the need to spay and neuter pets. In 1972, Dr. Saueressig-Riegel was named Woman Veterinarian of the Year by what is now known as the Association for Women Veterinarians Foundation. She was honored as a leader and inducted into the Young Women’s Christian Association Metro St. Louis Academy of Leaders in 1983. Dr. Saueressig-Riegel is survived by her husband, Dr. Richard T. Riegel (MO ’57), a small animal veterinarian in St. Louis. Memorials toward the Cinderella/Chief Fund may be made to the Humane Society of Missouri, 1201 Macklind Ave., St. Louis, MO 63110.

James A. Walsdorf
Dr. Walsdorf (KSU ’56), 86, New Holstein, Wis., died March 10, 2013. From 1956 until retirement in 1987, he practiced large animal medicine at St. Anna Veterinary Clinic, a practice founded by his father, the late Dr. I.A. Walsdorf in St. Anna, Wis., in 1921. Dr. Walsdorf was a lifetime member of the Wisconsin VMA. Active in civic life, he was a 50-year charter member of the East Shore Lions Club and volunteered with Meals on Wheels. Dr. Walsdorf’s wife, Ruth; three daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials toward diabetes research may be made c/o Charmaine Jankowski, Director of Fund Development, St. Nicholas Hospital, 3100 Superior Ave., Sheboygan, WI 53081.

George D. Whitney
Dr. Whitney (AUB ’43), 94, Brattleboro, Vt., died Feb. 21, 2013. Following graduation, he co-founded a practice with his father, the late Dr. Leon F. Whitney, in Orange, Conn., where he practiced mostly small animal medicine for 50 years. Dr. Whitney also helped establish the New Haven Central Hospital for Veterinary Medicine in New Haven, Conn. Known for his expertise in herpetology, he was a member of the Eastern States Herpetological League and Connecticut Herpetological Society. Dr. Whitney was also a member of the Connecticut VMA, Naugatuck Valley Audobon Society, and Coalition to Abolish the Leghold Trap. He was a past president of the Orange Rotary Club and was active with the Brattleboro Rotary Club. Dr. Whitney’s three daughters and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Visiting Nurse Association and Hospice of Vermont and New Hampshire, P.O. Box 976, White River Junction, VT 05001; or The Brattleboro Historical Society, 230 Main St., #301, Brattleboro, VT 05301.

Claude G. Wilkes
Dr. Wilkes (GA ’52), 90, Jefferson, Ga., died Jan. 26, 2013. From 1965 until retirement in 1986, he worked nationwide as a technical field specialist, first with Merck Sharp & Dohme and later with A.H. Robins and Roche. Dr. Wilkes began his career in mixed animal practice in Virginia, Kentucky, and Tennessee. After obtaining his Master of Science degree in public health and parasitology at the University of North Carolina in 1960, he took over the operation of the North Carolina state poultry laboratory in Murphy. From 1964-1965, Dr. Wilkes worked at the state of Georgia poultry laboratory in Gainsville, Ga.

A veteran of World War II, he served as a captain in the Army Air Corps. Dr. Wilkes is survived by his wife, Nina Jonette; a daughter; and a son. Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.

George O. Winegar
Dr. Winegar (MSU ’62), 78, Howell, Mich., died April 20, 2013. Following graduation, he joined the Veterinary Services division of the Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service as a veterinary medical officer in south-central Michigan. Dr. Winegar’s work at the time focused on the eradication of bovine brucellosis and bovine tuberculosis. From 1967-1973, he served as the USDA representative at Michigan State University, working on a tuberculosis research project. During that time, Dr. Winegar also obtained his master’s in microbiology from the university and worked as an epidemiologist and diagnostician during a hog cholera outbreak in Virginia. From 1973-1975, he served with the USDA in Nicaragua, Honduras, and El Salvador, in the prevention, control, and eradication of foreign animal diseases.

He then returned to the United States, working with the USDA in Michigan from 1975-1983. In those years, Dr. Winegar directed field operations during a hog cholera outbreak in New England, served as the agency adviser to the Dominican Republic during an outbreak of African swine fever, tested cattle for importation into the United States from Brazil, and traveled to Chile to develop an ASF prevention program and to Argentina to evaluate its foot-and-mouth disease vaccine.

From 1983-1990, Dr. Winegar served as leader of the USDA’s export animal staff in Hyattsville, Md., analyzing and negotiating export animal health protocols with other countries. He served as assistant deputy administrator of veterinary services in Washington, D.C., from 1990 until retirement in 1995.

In retirement, Dr. Winegar contracted with the Michigan Department of Agriculture’s Animal Disease Control Division in epidemiology. He was active with the U.S. Animal Health Association, serving as vice chair of its import-export committee for several years. Dr. Winegar was a past president of the Animal Transport Association and served on the board of directors of the Livestock Exporters Association. He was a member of the Farm Bureau, National Association of Federal Veterinarians, and Livingston County Farm Association. In 2012, he was inducted into the American Veterinary Epidemiological Society. Dr. Winegar was a past president of the Livingston County Genealogical Society and a member of the Howell Masonic Lodge and Farmers Club. He is survived by his wife, Lois; a daughter; and three sons. Memorials in his name may be made to the Fowlerville Alumni Association, 6436 N. Burkhart Road, Howell, MI 48855; or Livingston County Genealogical Society, P.O. Box 1073, Howell, MI 48844.

William G. Winkler
Dr. Winkler (TEX ’61), 81, Stone Mountain, Ga., died March 17, 2013. From 1986 until retirement in 1988, he was deputy di-rector of the Global Intelligence Service Division of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta. During his 25-year tenure with the CDC, Dr. Winkler served as chief of the Viral and Rickettsial Zoonoses Branch and was liaison officer for veterinarians. His work focused on rabies epidemiology and ecology and the human rabies vaccination. Dr. Winkler was a past chair of the U.S. Animal Health Association Rabies Committee, an honorary life member of the National Association of State Public Health Veterinarians, and a member of the American Veterinary Epidemiology Society. He served as a  captain in the Commissioned Corps of the United States Public Health Service and was a lieutenant in the Air Force. Dr. Winkler received an Outstanding Service Medal from the USPHS, an Outstanding Alumnus Award from the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, and a World Health Rabies Award. In 1989, he was the recipient of the AVMA Public Service Award in recognition of outstanding achievements in public health and regulatory veterinary medicine. Dr. Winkler is survived by his wife, Elaine, and three sons. One son, Dr. Kevin P. Winkler (GA ’89), is a veterinary surgeon in Atlanta.
 

Obituary notifications

Please report the death of a veterinarian promptly to the
JAVMA News staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754;
email at news@avma.org; or fax at (847) 925-9329.

For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified
within six months of the date of death.