Critical care specialists designate trauma centers
Posted May 29, 2013
The American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care has provisionally designated nine veterinary hospitals as veterinary trauma centers in a new initiative to improve outcomes in small animal trauma cases.
The ACVECC Veterinary Committee on Trauma seeks to create a network of lead hospitals that will seed development of trauma systems nationally. The hospitals will work collaboratively to define high standards of care and disseminate information.
The expectations for veterinary trauma centers in terms of patient care include providing around-the-clock care for every aspect of case management and availability of specialists seven days a week for consultation in the fields of emergency and critical care, surgery, and radiology.
The ACVECC designated the following as veterinary trauma centers:
- Southern California Veterinary Specialty Hospital, Irvine
- VCA West Los Angeles Animal Hospital
- BluePearl Veterinary Partners, Tampa, Fla.
- University of Illinois Veterinary Teaching Hospital, Urbana
- Foster Hospital for Small Animals at the Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, North Grafton, Mass.
- University of Minnesota Veterinary Medical Center, St. Paul
- North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Raleigh
- Oradell Animal Hospital, Paramus, N.J.
- University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Philadelphia