Posted May 15, 2013
AVMA honor roll member
William D. Allen
Dr. Allen (GA ’57), 80, St. Simons Island, Ga., died March 24, 2013. A small animal practitioner, he was the founder of Pleasant Hill Animal Hospital and Medlock Bridge Animal Hospital in Georgia’s Gwinnett County. Early in his career, Dr. Allen worked in Oakridge, Tenn., and founded Doraville Animal Hospital in Duluth, Ga. His wife, Christina; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Cornerstone Club of the United Methodist Church Children’s Home, 500 S. Columbia Drive, Decatur, GA 30030; or Hospice of the Golden Isles, 1692 Glynco Parkway, Brunswick, GA 31525.
Harry H. Berrier Jr.
Dr. Berrier (KSU ’45), 95, Columbia, Mo., died March 10, 2013. He was associate professor emeritus of veterinary pathology and clinical toxicology at the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine since 1982.
Following graduation, Dr. Berrier joined the Army. During his military career, he served initially as a food inspector, later conducting biological and chemical research at Dugway Proving Ground in Utah. After serving in the Army, Dr.
Berrier practiced in Odesso, Mo., for two years before joining the veterinary faculty at Missouri-Columbia in 1948. During his tenure, he earned his master’s in veterinary pathology (1960) from the university. In later years, Dr. Berrier transferred from the Army Reserve to the Air Force, retiring from the military as a colonel in 1977. In the mid-1970s, he also began producing barbecue sauce, establishing the brand Show-Me BBQ Sauce. He continued the business in retirement.
Dr. Berrier was a founder and a past president of the American Society of Veterinary Clinical Pathology, a fellow of the American College of Veterinary Toxicologists, and a member of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians and Missouri VMA. He authored the book “Diagnostic Aids in the Practice of Medicine.” In 2004, Kansas State University honored Dr. Berrier with the Veterinary Medical Alumni Association Recognition Award. He was the recipient of the Honorary Membership Award of the Missouri Academy of Veterinary Practice in 2009.
In civic life, Dr. Berrier was a 16-year board member of the Missouri Symphony Society and was active with the Little Dixie Kiwanis Club for 30 years. He and his wife, Lina, were honored by the Missouri Department of Conservation as Conservationists of the Year in 2006 and were named members of the Light Brigade by the Salvation Army in 2011.
Dr. Berrier is survived by his wife. Memorials may be made to the Missouri Department of Conservation, Berrier Trust Fund, P.O. Box 180, Jefferson City, MO 65102; First Baptist Church, 1112 E. Broadway, Columbia, MO 65201; Student Scholarship Fund, University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine, c/o Director of Advancement, W210 Veterinary Medical Building, Columbia, MO 65211; or Missouri Symphony Society, 203 S. 9th St., Columbia, MO 65201.
Robert D. Bluntzer
Dr. Bluntzer (TEX ’59), 83, Corpus Christi, Texas, died Feb. 6, 2013. He owned Bluntzer Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Corpus Christi. Dr. Bluntzer was a veteran of the Army. He is survived by his wife, Josephine; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to Sisters of the Incarnate Word, 2930 S. Alameda, Corpus Christi, TX 78404; Bluntzer Spirit Center, 2930 S. Alameda St., Corpus Christi, TX 78404; or PALS Animal Shelter, 1101 Navigation Blvd., Corpus Christi, TX 78407.
Dr. Brown (UP ’44), 92, West Hazleton, Pa., died April 4, 2013. He practiced mixed animal medicine at West Hazleton Small Animal Clinic for 40 years. Dr. Brown was an Army veteran of World War II. He is survived by two sons. Memorials may be made to United Children’s Homes Inc., 107 Madison Ave., West Hazleton, PA 18201.
Ann Schola Clark
Dr. Clark (OSU ’64), 73, Palatine, Ill., died March 24, 2013.
The 20th woman to graduate from The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Clark received the Distinguished Service Award from the Association for Women Veterinarians in 1998 for her contributions to advancing the status of women in the veterinary profession. Her career began in private practice with the Horres Animal Hospital in Charleston, S.C., and then Ross Veterinary Hospital in Washington, D.C. In 1974, she became a drug reviewer for the Food and Drug Administration’s Bureau of Veterinary Medicine in the Division of New Animal Drugs.
In 1976, Dr. Clark joined the AVMA staff as an assistant editor in the Publications Division, progressing to associate editor. She played a key role in initiating and directing the JAVMA feature “Career Pathways in Veterinary Medicine.” She provided staff support for the former AVMA Committee on the Human-Animal Bond. In 1989, she was named the first director of the new AVMA Career Development Center. Dr. Clark, who held a master’s in business administration, also started the Placement Service within the career center. Her final position at retirement was as a trust representative for the AVMA Group Health & Life Insurance Trust in Chicago.
Dr. Clark received the Distinguished Alumnus Award from The Ohio State University in 1992 and was inducted as a Distinguished Practitioner of the National Academies of Practice in 1997. Her last several years were spent rescuing English Bulldogs, her passion. She is survived by a son.
Memorial contributions in Dr. Clark’s memory may be directed to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Equine Support Fund, 1900 Coffey Road, VMAB 125L, Columbus, OH 43210.
John J. Drives
Dr. Drives (MSU ’60), 82, Lake Havasu City, Ariz., died Jan. 27, 2013. He had owned a practice in Sheboygan, Wis., where he practiced for more than 30 years, beginning with mixed animal medicine and later focusing on small animals. Dr. Drives was a past president of the Sheboygan County Humane Society and Lions Club. He was also a member of the Elks Club. Dr. Drives was a veteran of the Army. His wife, Shari, and three children survive him. Memorials may be made to the K-9 Unit, Mohave County Sheriff Department, 600 W. Beale St., Kingman, AZ 86404; or Mount Olive Lutheran Church, 2170 Havasupai Blvd., Lake Havasu City, AZ 86403.
Richard E. Forrest
Dr. Forrest (COR ’61), 79, Dalton Gardens, Idaho, died April 6, 2013. He owned Essex Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice in Essex, Vt., from 1984 until retirement in 1997. Dr. Forrest began his career as a mixed animal practitioner at Shrewsbury Animal Hospital in Shrewsbury, Mass. From 1965-1970, he owned Holly Hill Animal Hospital in Holly Hill, Fla. He then was a partner in the Community Animal Hospital in Poughkeepsie, N.Y. Dr. Forrest served in the Marine Corps during the Korean War. He is survived by his wife, June; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to Hospice of North Idaho, 9493 N. Government Way, Hayden, ID 83835.
James D. Gandy
Dr. Gandy (TEX ’51), 92, Brownwood, Texas, died March 6, 2013. He served as a federal veterinarian for 15 years after retiring from his mixed animal practice in Brownwood in 1995. Early in his career, Dr. Gandy worked in Killeen, Texas, for 10 years. He was a past president of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards. Dr. Gandy served in the Army Air Corps during World War II. He received the American Theater ribbon and Asiatic Pacific Theater with three Bronze Star ribbon, Philippine Liberation and Good Conduct medals, and Air Medal with one Bronze Cluster and two Overseas Bars. Dr. Gandy was a past member of the Brownwood School Board and a member of the Masonic Lodge. His wife, Maisie, and two sons survive him. Dr. Gandy’s nephew, Dr. Scott Briers (TEX ’96), is a mixed animal veterinarian in Conroe, Texas.
Richard F. Hansen
Dr. Hansen (MSU ’53), 89, Safety Harbor, Fla., died Jan. 17, 2013. A mixed animal practitioner, he was a partner at Lynwood Animal Hospital in Lowell, Mass. Early in his career, he worked in Vermont. Dr. Hansen served in the Army during World War II. He was a member of the Lions Club and Masonic Lodge. Dr. Hansen is survived by his wife, Dorothy Ann, and a son. Memorials may be made to Blood Donor Lab, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 75 Francis St., Boston, MA 02155; or Suncoast Hospice House, Palm Harbor, FL 34684.
Donald M. Henness
Dr. Henness (COL ’57), 89, Evansville, Ind., died Jan. 29, 2013. He retired in 1986 as associate director of clinical studies at Mead Johnson in Indiana. Dr. Henness began his career practicing mixed animal medicine in Saratoga, Wyo., serving as deputy state veterinarian at the same time. He later worked as a veterinary pathologist in Fresno, Calif., and served as a research veterinarian and headed the Department of Veterinary Research at Wm. S. Merrell Chemical Company in Ashland, Ohio. In 1966, Dr. Henness joined E.R. Squibb & Sons as director of veterinary research at the Squibb Institute for Medical Research in New Brunswick, N.J. He went on to serve as principal investigator in the Department of Toxicology at Mead Johnson in Evansville, later serving as vivarium director and senior clinical investigator.
Dr. Henness was a Marine Corps veteran of World War II. He is survived by his wife, Nora, and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Salvation Army, 1040 N. Fulton Ave., Evansville, IN 47724.
Joe B. Jolliffe
Dr. Jolliffe (OKL ’58), 84, Kingwood, W.Va., died March 25, 2013. He practiced large animal medicine in West Virginia’s Preston County for 54 years and served as veterinarian for the Preston County Buckwheat Festival. For the past 25 years, Dr. Jolliffe also operated Jolliffe Nursery (plants) in Knob Fork, W.Va. He was a past member of the West Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine and a past president of the West Virginia VMA. Dr. Jolliffe’s wife, Ann, and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Stillwater, OK 74078; or Best Friends Animal Society, 5001 Angel Canyon Road, Kanab, UT 84741.
John M. Key
Dr. Key (AUB ’66), 83, Smyrna, Tenn., died April 9, 2013. A small animal practitioner, he founded Smyrna Animal Clinic in 1976. Earlier in his career, Dr. Key worked for the state of Tennessee as a meat inspector and did relief work in Tennessee at Nashville and Knoxville. His son and daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Beesley Foundation, 2215 Keeneland Commercial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37127; or New Vision Baptist Church, Dominican Republic October Missions Trip, 1750 N. Thompson Lane, Murfreesboro, TN 37129.
Terry W. Lee
Dr. Lee (TEX ’70), 65, College Station, Texas, died Jan. 30, 2013. A small animal practitioner, he owned Custer Parkway Animal Hospital in Plano, Texas, and was a founder of Emergency Animal Clinic of Collin County. Dr. Lee is survived by his wife, Georgianne; a son; and a daughter.
William O. May Jr.
Dr. May (GA ’63), 74, Moultrie, Ga., died Jan. 6, 2013. He joined the Air Force after graduation, retiring in 1993 as chairman of the Department of Military Public Health and Occupational Medicine at the Brooks AFB School of Aerospace Medicine in San Antonio. During his military service, Dr. May earned a master’s in public health from the University of Missouri (1970) and served on the Norton AFB Inspector General Hospital Team, providing guidance and assistance to Air Force facilities worldwide. He attained the rank of colonel.
Dr. May was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine. His wife, Rosemary; a son; and a daughter survive him.
Wesley V. Metzler
Dr. Metzler (COL ’72), 73, Colorado Springs, Colo., died Jan. 12, 2013. Prior to retirement in 2010, he was president and chief executive officer of the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region in Colorado Springs. Following graduation, Dr. Metzler practiced mixed animal medicine in Estes Park, Colo. During that time, he also established a boarding kennel in the area. From 1990-1993, Dr. Metzler worked at the Homer Brown Veterinary Hospital in Colorado Springs. He then joined the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region as executive director. Dr. Metzler served on the Animal Care and Use Committee for the National Western Stock Show and Rodeo in Denver from 2003-2005. He was a member of the Colorado VMA and Colorado Springs Area VMS. Dr. Metzler received several honors, including the Larimer County Humanitarian Award in 1977 and the Denver Dumb Friends League’s Sheilagh R. Malo Humanitarian Award in 2009. In 2010, the on-site surgery center of the Pikes Peak humane society was named after him.
Active in civic life, Dr. Metzler was a past president of the Estes Park School Board and Estes Rotary Club. He was also a member of the Broadmoor Rotary Club and Colorado Springs Executives Association. Dr. Metzler is survived by his wife, Sharol; a son; and three stepsons. Memorials toward the Wesley V. Metzler, DVM Fund may be made to Pikes Peak Community Foundation, 730 N. Nevada Ave., Colorado Springs, CO 80903.
Frank H. Olvey
Dr. Olvey (COL ’36), 100, Wickenburg, Ariz., died Oct. 28, 2012. He began his career with what was known as the Bureau of Animal Industry in the Department of Agriculture, first as a junior veterinarian in Missouri and later as a meat inspector in Chicago. Dr. Olvey then joined the veterinary faculty of the University of Missouri-Columbia as an instructor. In 1939, he moved to Phoenix, where he practiced large animal medicine before joining the Army Veterinary Corps in 1940. During his service, Dr. Olvey served as station veterinarian in Arizona; was command veterinarian in Egypt, Libya, and Iran; and worked in meat inspection in New Jersey. He ended his military career in 1946 with the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Dr. Olvey went on to practice large animal medicine in Iowa before accepting a position in Phoenix in 1947, taking care of cattle for a feedlot company for almost 10 years. He then joined the International Cooperation Administration in Washington, D.C., and was assigned to Ecuador. Dr. Olvey went on to work for the U.S. Agency for International Development in Iran and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization in Lebanon. In the early 1970s, he practiced large animal medicine in Phoenix for a few years, later serving as a veterinarian at the Turf Paradise racetrack in Phoenix. Dr. Olvey then worked for USDA Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, stationed in Mali. Following his resignation from the USDA in the early 1980s, he practiced large animal medicine in Wickenburg until retirement.
Dr. Olvey was a life member and a past president of the Arizona VMA and a member of the Arizona Academy of Practice and Central Arizona VMA. In 2012, Dr. Olvey was honored with the AzVMA Distinguished Member Award. He is survived by three sons and two daughters.
Max A. Pachar Sr.
Dr. Pachar (TEX ’49), 90, Orange, Texas, died March 3, 2013. A small animal practitioner, he owned Pachar Veterinary Hospital in Orange for 50 years prior to retirement in 1999. Dr. Pachar served on the Texas State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners for six years in the 1960s. He was a member of the Texas and Southeast Texas VMAs. Dr. Pachar’s former practice, which still bears his name, recently earned the TVMA Heritage Practice Award. He was an Army Air Corps veteran of World War II, serving in the European theater. Dr. Pachar attained the rank of 1st lieutenant. His wife, Justine; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to First Christian Church, 611 N. 9th, Orange, TX 77630; or SETX Hospice, 912 W. Cherry, Orange, TX 77630.
Robert P. Raemsch
Dr. Raemsch (COR ’50), 89, Boscawen, N.H., died Jan. 25, 2013. He practiced in Syracuse, N.Y., prior to retirement in 1985. Earlier in his career, Dr. Raemsch worked in Albion, N.Y. He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II. Dr. Raemsch is survived by two sons and two daughters.
William S. Rokus
Dr. Rokus (UP ’65), 83, Leesburg, Va., died Feb. 3, 2013. He owned a mixed animal practice in Leesburg from 1965-2003. Dr. Rokus was an Army veteran of the Korean War. His two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Friends of the Thomas Balch Library, P.O. Box 2184, Leesburg, VA 20177; or University of Pennsylvania Raker-Tulleners Endowed Fund for Veterinary Research, New Bolton Center, 382 W. Street Road, Kennett Square, PA 19348.
Wallace L. Vermeer
Dr. Vermeer (ISU ’56), 84, Orange City, Iowa, died March 19, 2013. He owned a large animal practice in Orange City. Dr. Vermeer is survived by three sons and a daughter.
Thomas E. White Jr.
Dr. White (TEX ’64), 74, Natchitoches, La., died March 8, 2013. He owned Natchitoches Animal Hospital, a mixed animal practice, for 49 years. Dr. White also owned a broodmare practice in Coushatta, La. He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and Louisiana VMA and was active with the Natchitoches Humane Society and Hope for Paws. Dr. White is survived by his wife, Linda; two sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Hope for Paws, P.O. Box 2525, Natchitoches, LA 71457; or Women’s Resource Center, 107 North St., Natchitoches, LA 71457.
Kathryn L. Wilkinson
Dr. Wilkinson (LSU ’96), 43, Denham Springs, La., died Jan. 8, 2013. During her 17-year career, she practiced mixed animal medicine at Jones Creek Animal Hospital in Baton Rouge, La., and Live Oak Animal Hospital in Denham Springs. Dr. Wilkinson is survived by her husband, Ricky; three sons; and two daughters.
Please report the death of a veterinarian promptly to the JAVMA News staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email at firstname.lastname@example.org; or fax at (847) 925-9329.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified
within six months of the date of death.