Posted on February 27, 2013
AVMA honor roll member
Marion D. Bliler
Dr. Bliler (IL ’59), 78, Taylorville, Ill., died Nov. 8, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he co-owned North Side Veterinary Clinic in Taylorville, practicing in the area for more than 50 years. Dr. Bliler was active with the 4-H Club and the National FFA Organization. He is survived by his wife, Elaine; three daughters; and two sons. Memorials may be made to Davis Memorial Christian Church, 1500 W. Franklin St., Taylorville, IL 62568; or Taylorville FFA Chapter, 815 W. Springfield Road, Taylorville, IL 62568.
Howard W. Cargill
Dr. Cargill (TEX ’50), 85, Bryan, Texas, died Nov. 12, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he co-owned El Cerrito Animal Clinic with his late brother, Dr. Bobby J. Cargill (see obituary, Dec 1, 2012), prior to retirement in 1992. Earlier in his career, Dr. Cargill owned a practice in Brazos Valley, Texas, and worked at Bryan Animal Clinic. He was a past president of the Brazos Valley VMA and Brazos County Producers Cooperative Association. Dr. Cargill was also a past president of the Bryan Rotary Club. He served in the Army during World War II. Dr. Cargill’s wife, Irene; two sons; and two daughters survive him. One son, Dr. Thomas H. Cargill (TEX ’77), owns El Cerrito Animal Clinic. Memorials may be made to First Baptist Church Library, 3100 Cambridge Drive, Bryan, TX 77802.
G. Dudley Collins
Dr. Collins (ONT ’56), 80, Ancaster, Ontario, died July 21, 2012. He co-owned Mountain Animal Hospital in Hamilton, Ontario, prior to retirement in 1994. Dr. Collins was also the founder of the Ancaster Pet Cemetery. His wife, Laurene; four sons; a stepson; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Bob Kemp Hospice, 277 Stone Church E., Hamilton, ON L9B 1B1, Canada.
George F. Dixon
Dr. Dixon (OSU ’43), 92, Nevis, Minn., died Nov. 15, 2012. He was an Army veterinarian for 31 years, retiring with the rank of colonel. During that time, Dr. Dixon served on the faculty of the Army Meat and Dairy Hygiene School in Chicago, was an instructor in the Department of Veterinary Science at the Army Medical Service School at Fort Sam Houston, and served as chief of the Standards and Animal Branch of the Veterinary Division in the Office of the Surgeon General. He received the Legion of Merit with one Oak Leaf Cluster for his service. In retirement, Dr. Dixon worked for Hill’s Pet Nutrition for several years.
He is survived by his wife, Frances; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Hospice Foundation of America, 1710 Rhode Island Ave. N.W., #400, Washington, DC 20036; www.hospicefoundation.org
Gaylord H. French Jr.
Dr. French (OKL ’63), 74, Crozet, Va., died Sept. 28, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he practiced at Allied Animal Hospital in Richmond, Va. Dr. French bred Angus cattle and was a member of the North Carolina Angus Association. He served in the Air Force from 1963-1965. Dr. French’s two daughters survive him.
Boynton A. Grover
Dr. Grover (COR ’43), 92, Bonita Springs, Fla., died Nov. 8, 2012. Prior to retirement in the mid-1980s, he practiced in Haverhill, Mass., focusing initially on large animals and then switching to small animals. Dr. Grover served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II. Active in civic life, he was a past member of the Haverhill Chamber of Commerce, a past chair of the Whittier District Boy Scouts, and a past president of the Haverhill Rotary Club. Dr. Grover is survived by three daughters.
Kenneth S. Ishimoto
Dr. Ishimoto (MSU ’57), 83, Kaneohe, Hawaii, died Nov. 1, 2012. He owned small animal practices in Hawaii at Kailua and Kaneohe prior to retirement. Dr. Ishimoto was a member of the Hawaii VMA and was active with the Kaneohe Rotary Club and Kaneohe Business Association. He served in the Army during the Korean War. Dr. Ishimoto is survived by his wife, Nancy, and three daughters.
Kenneth L. Kuttler
Dr. Kuttler (COL ’45), 88, College Station, Texas, died Nov. 13, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1986, he worked for the Department of Agriculture in Maryland and Moscow, Idaho. Earlier in his career, Dr. Kuttler chaired the Department of Veterinary Science at the University of Nevada and was a professor of veterinary microbiology at the Texas A&M University Agricultural Experiment Station.
While on a two-year sabbatical from the University of Nevada, he worked for the Rockefeller Foundation at the University of East Africa in Kenya, where he taught clinical pathology and conducted research on immunization methods for anaplasmosis.
Dr. Kuttler was a past president of the Society for Tropical Veterinary Medicine. In 1969, he was honored by the Texas VMA for outstanding work in teaching and research. Dr. Kuttler was an Army veteran of the Korean War, attaining the rank of captain. His wife, Joanne; four sons; and a daughter survive him.
Albert P. Pontick
Dr. Pontick (COR ’39), 98, Boynton Beach, Fla., died July 24, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned East Hampton Animal Hospital in East Hampton, N.Y., from 1941 until 1976. Earlier in his career, Dr. Pontick practiced in Rochester, N.Y. He was a past member of the East Hampton School Board and a member of the Lions Club. Dr. Pontick is survived by two daughters and a son. Memorials may be made to the Lighthouse for the Blind, 111 E. 59th St., New York, NY 10022.
Dr. Stucki (WSU ’56), 85, Escondido, Calif., died July 26, 2012. An equine veterinarian, he practiced in Southern California for many years. Dr. Stucki is survived by nine children.
John E. Tartaglione
Dr. Tartaglione (UP ’64), 75, Blakeslee, Pa., died Nov. 15, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned East Stroudsburg Veterinary Hospital in East Stroudsburg, Pa., for 35 years prior to retirement in the early 2000s. Dr. Tartaglione’s wife, Elaine; three daughters; and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Alzheimer’s Association--Greater Pennsylvania Chapter, 3544 N. Progress Ave., Suite 205, Harrisburg, PA 17110; or Monroe Animal League, 112 N. 8th St., Stroudsburg, PA 18360.
Dale E. Walters
Dr. Walters (OSU ’52), 85, Delaware, Ohio, died Nov. 6, 2012. He practiced large animal medicine in Delaware for 60 years. Dr. Walters also owned Sugar Valley Farm, where he raised racehorses. He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, Ohio VMA, U.S. Trotting Association, and Ohio Harness Horsemen’s Association. Dr. Walters served in the Navy from 1946-1947. His wife, Evelyn; a daughter; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Old Stone Presbyterian Church, 41 Hodges Road, Delaware, OH 43015.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be
notified within six months of the date of death
via a toll-free phone call at
(800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754;
email at email@example.com;
or fax at (847) 925-9329.