Posted Jan. 16, 2013
AVMA honor roll member
Alex J. Bermudez
Dr. Bermudez (IL ’86), 55, Columbia, Mo., died Oct. 8, 2012. He was director of the Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory and an associate professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathobiology at the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine.
Following graduation and after completing an avian medicine internship at the North Carolina State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Dr. Bermudez joined the University of Connecticut-Storrs as an assistant professor in the Department of Pathobiology. From 1989-1991, he served as an assistant professor in the departments of Poultry Science and Veterinary Preventive Medicine at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Bermudez then joined the veterinary faculty at Missouri-Columbia as an assistant professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathology. He was named associate professor in 1997 and took over directorship of the VMDL in 2005.
Dr. Bermudez was president of the American College of Poultry Veterinarians at the time of his death, having served in the same capacity from 1998-1999 and as its representative to the American Board of Veterinary Specialties from 2001-2007. He was an associate editor for Poultry Science for 10 years and served on the editorial board of Avian Diseases. Dr. Bermudez also served on the editorial board of the Avian Disease Manual and was a contributing author to the 10th, 11th, and 12th editions of “Diseases of Poultry.” He was a member of the American Association of Avian Pathologists and served on several of its committees. Dr. Bermudez was also a member of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, World Veterinary Poultry Association, and Poultry Science Association. His wife, Lisa; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the International Community Church, 1107 University Ave., Columbia, MO 65201; or University of Missouri, W210 Vet Med Building, Columbia, MO 65211 (with the memo line of checks notated to College of Veterinary Medicine, in memory of Alex Bermudez).
Norbert A. Dahlke
Dr. Dahlke (ISU ’46), 88, Oshkosh, Wis., died July 11, 2012. Retired since 1984, he established Northern States Feeder Pigs, a livestock business in Saulk Center, Minn., in 1978. Earlier in his career, Dr. Dahlke owned a practice in Waupaca, Wis., and served as chief executive officer of the Wisconsin Feeder Pig Marketing Cooperative. He was a past president of the National Feeder Pig Disease Association and Wisconsin Valley VMA.
Dr. Dahlke served on the board of directors of the Wisconsin Veterinary Health Committee and was a member of the Wisconsin Agricultural Animal Health Committee and Black Wolf Wildlife Association. He was also active with the Nature Conservancy, National Wildlife Federation, and Ducks Unlimited. Dr. Dahlke is survived by a son and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer’s Foundation of America, 322 Eighth Ave., 7th floor, New York, NY 10001.
Karl K. Dockery Sr.
Dr. Dockery (GA ’53), 83, Douglas, Ga., died Oct. 7, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned Dockery Veterinary Hospital in Douglas for 57 years. Dr. Dockery was a member of the Georgia and South Georgia VMAs. His wife, Mirtie; two sons; and two daughters survive him. One son, Dr. Karl K. Dockery Jr. (GA ’78), is a mixed animal veterinarian in Albany, Ga.
William I. Gay
Dr. Gay (COR ’50), 86, Adamstown, Md., died Oct. 11, 2012. A diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, he was director of the National Institutes of Health Division of Research Resources’ Animal Resources Program prior to retirement in 1988. Following graduation, Dr. Gay practiced small animal medicine on Long Island, N.Y., for two years. He then joined the Walter Reed Army Medical Center, where he served as chief of the Department of Animal Husbandry. In 1954, Dr. Gay began his career with the NIH in its Division of Research Services’ Laboratory Aids Branch. He went on to serve as chief of the branch’s Animal Hospital Section in 1955, was named assistant chief of the branch in 1962, and was appointed chief of the branch in 1967.
Dr. Gay subsequently served as acting associate director of the National Institute of General Medical Sciences, and, in 1970, he became associate director of extramural programs for the NIH National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. He was involved with the early stages of the NIAID’s HIV/AIDS research program, overseeing the evolution and growth of the NIH’s involvement in AIDS research. Dr. Gay later took over directorship of extramural programs, serving in that capacity until his appointment in 1980 as director of the NIH-DRR Animal Resources Program. As director of the program, he administered the activities of the NIH’s Regional Primate Research Centers and the laboratory animal sciences program, including upgrading institutional animal resources, supporting facilities engaged in the diagnosis and control of animal disease, training specialists in laboratory animal science, and developing colonies of laboratory animal models.
Following his retirement from the NIH, Dr. Gay served as a veterinary consultant with various biotechnology organizations in the United States. Active in organized veterinary medicine, he was a past president of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science and District of Columbia VMA and was a member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science. Dr. Gay chaired the Animal Care Panel on Ethical Considerations in the Care and Use of Laboratory Animals, which led to the preparation of the NIH guide in 1963. He received the AALAS Griffin Award in 1971, and, in 1975, he was honored by the NIH for his leadership in the management of the NIAID’s extramural programs and development of innovative methods for assessing ongoing special emphasis programs.
Dr. Gay is survived by his wife, Millicent.
Ward D. Gilbertson
Dr. Gilbertson (MIN ’55), 86, East Grand Forks, Minn., died Sept. 27, 2012. He was a mixed animal veterinarian. Dr. Gilbertson’s wife, Carolyn, survives him.
Earl E. Grass
Dr. Grass (MIN ’53), 84, Fair Oaks, Calif., died Oct. 30, 2012. He worked for the Department of Agriculture for more than 35 years prior to retirement in 1988. During that time, Dr. Grass earned a Master of Public Health degree from the University of Minnesota in 1966, served as a regional epidemiologist in Fair Oaks, and worked in poultry services in Hyattsville, Md. He also served on several animal disease task forces and supervised the importation of horses for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. Dr. Grass was a member of the Sacramento Valley VMA. He served in the Army from 1946-1947. Dr. Grass is survived by his wife, Margaret; three daughters; and two sons.
Joe D. Green
Dr. Green (COL ’44), 99, Boulder, Colo., died Oct. 27, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he practiced at Boulder Veterinary Hospital from 1949 until retirement in 1981. Earlier in his career, Dr. Green worked in Wisconsin and Oklahoma. He was a past president of the Boulder Lions Club. Dr. Green’s son and daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Humane Society of Boulder Valley, 2323 55th St., Boulder, CO 80301.
Fred J. Hander
Dr. Hander (TEX ’57), 81, Fort Smith, Ark., died Oct. 9, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he served primarily Arkansas’ Logan and Franklin counties for almost 30 years, based out of Paris and Booneville. Dr. Hander was a past president of the Arkansas VMA and served two terms on the Arkansas Veterinary Medical Examining Board. In 1984, he was named Arkansas Veterinarian of the Year. Dr. Hander volunteered with the Sebastian County Humane Society animal shelter, served on the Paris School Board, and was a member of the board of directors of the Arkansas Native Plant Society and Arkansas Audubon Society. He also served as the Sebastian County representative for the Area Agency on Aging and was active with the Boy Scouts of America. Dr. Hander is survived by his wife, Helen; two daughters; a son; and two stepdaughters. Memorials may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 116 N. 12th St., Fort Smith, AR 72901.
Robert A. Harwood
Dr. Harwood (KSU ’71), 65, Chanute, Kan., died Oct. 24, 2012. A small animal practitioner, he established Harwood Animal Hospital in Chanute in 1982. Earlier in his career, Dr. Harwood served as a captain in the Air Force and practiced at Animal Medical Center in Chanute. He volunteered as a trail veterinarian for the Iditarod Trail and Kuskokwim 300 Sled Dog races in Alaska and the Grand Portage Passage Sled Dog Race in Minnesota and Canada. Dr. Harwood was a member of the Kansas VMA.
Active in civic life, he was also a member of the Kiwanis Club, chaired the Neosho Memorial Regional Medical Center board of trustees, was a past president of the Hospital Foundation Board, and volunteered with the Boy Scouts of America and 4-H Club. Dr. Harwood was the Kiwanis Family of Builders runner-up in 1993 and 1994 and received the Chanute Partner in Progress Award in 2010. His wife, Susan; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Neosho Memorial Regional Medical Center Foundation, P.O. Box 426, Chanute, KS 66720; or First United Methodist Church Bridges to the Future Campaign, 202 S. Lincoln Ave., Chanute, KS 66720.
Sam J. Holman
Dr. Holman (ISU ’51), 93, Aberdeen, S.D., died Nov. 9, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he practiced in South Dakota at Wessington Springs and Aberdeen for 53 years. Dr. Holman was a lifetime member of the South Dakota VMA and a past member of the South Dakota Livestock Sanitary Board. He also served as Jerauld County coroner.
Dr. Holman was a World War II veteran of the Navy who participated in the battles of Tassafaronga and Iwo Jima. He received the Silver Star, Purple Heart, and a Presidential Unit Citation. Dr. Holman is survived by his wife, Jacintha, and five children.
Ralph C. Knowles
Dr. Knowles (COL ’50), 85, Vero Beach, Fla., died June 16, 2012. He began his career as a staff veterinarian at Arvada Veterinary Hospital in Arvada, Colo. In 1953, Dr. Knowles established his own practice in Denver focusing on dairy cattle and horses. From 1955-1982, he worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. Dr. Knowles served as a field veterinarian in Wyoming; was an assistant veterinarian in Kansas; served as a staff veterinarian in Washington, D.C.; and in 1964, was named chief staff veterinarian in equine diseases.
In 1982, he joined the Maryland Department of Agriculture, serving as assistant state veterinarian until 1984. Dr. Knowles then worked three years as manager of veterinary services for Identification Devices Inc. in Colorado. From 1982-1987, he also spent a few months each year in Europe and South America, working on treatment of babesiasis in horses. His career from 1987-1997 included consulting for Taymar Inc. and Destron/IDI in Colorado, fieldwork with the MDA in the diagnosis and epidemiology of diseases in livestock and poultry, and an equine practice focusing on babesiacidal treatment of horses. At various times, he also consulted on infectious equine diseases for the Canadian Department of Agriculture, Dominican Republic government, Mexican government, and a group of Venezuelan Thoroughbred breeders. Dr. Knowles remained a veterinary consultant until his death.
Dr. Knowles authored and co-authored several articles on equine infectious diseases and equine identification, including chapters on exotic equine diseases in the 3rd and 4th editions of “Equine Medicine and Surgery.” He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and received the AAEP Distinguished Life Member Award in 1998. In 1999, he won the U.S. Animal Health Association’s National Assembly Award for his outstanding contributions to animal health. Dr. Knowles’ wife, Kathleen, and a daughter survive him.
Leonard W. Mohney
Dr. Mohney (KSU ’43), 92, Wichita, Kan., died Nov. 12, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1990, he owned a mixed animal practice in Pratt, Kan. Early in his career, Dr. Mohney served as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II. He trained Belgian draft horses and was a member of the Kansas VMA and Pratt Saddle Club. Dr. Mohney was also a member of the Pratt Rotary Club and was active with the Boy Scouts of America. His wife, Betty; two daughters; and a son survive him.
Arthur J. Neves
Dr. Neves (CAL ’65), 71, Willows, Calif., died June 2, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned Willows Animal Hospital. Early in his career, Dr. Neves served in the Army; worked in Salinas, Calif.; served as a resident veterinarian at the El Capitan Ranch; and prac-ticed in California at Santa Cruz, Paso Robles, and San Luis Obispo. He was a member of the California and North Valley VMAs, American Association of Equine Practitioners, Society for Theriogenology, Academy of Rural Veterinarians, and National, California, and Glenn Colusa cattlemen’s associations. Dr. Neves is survived by his wife, Margaret, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the University of California-Davis Foundation, UC-Davis Gift Administration, 1460 Drew Ave., Suite 100, Davis, CA 95618; or Enloe Cancer Center, c/o Enloe Foundation, 249 W. 6th Ave., Chico, CA 95926.
Kelly A. Rada
Dr. Rada (OSU ’02), 38, Toledo, Ohio, died Sept. 25, 2012. She worked for Humane Ohio in Toledo. Earlier in her career, Dr. Rada practiced in Florida, working at St. John’s Veterinary Clinic, Jacksonville Humane Society, Miami Dade Animal Services, First Coast No More Homeless Pets, and Flagler Humane Society. She also established Shelter Vet to Go in 2005. Dr. Rada was an advocate of spaying and neutering and volunteered with the Prevent a Litter Society and the Rota Animal Welfare League. She co-authored “Feeling Stares: Places, Persons, and Pets” and the “Miller-Rada Commitment to Pets Scale.” Memorials, with the memo line of the check notated to Dr. Kelly, may be made to the Dr. Kelly Rada “Spay it Forward” Memorial Fund, c/o Humane Ohio, 3131 Tremainsville Road, Toledo, OH 43613.
E. Byron Range Jr.
Dr. Range (TEX ’51), 91, Big Spring, Texas, died Sept. 28, 2012. During his career, he practiced mostly large animal medicine in Texas and taught in Texas and Oklahoma. Dr. Range was a member of the Texas VMA and was active with the Lions and Kiwanis clubs and Boy Scouts of America. He was an Army Air Corps veteran of World War II.
Dr. Range’s wife, Jean; three sons; and a daughter survive him.
David E. Simington
Dr. Simington (CAL ’62), 82, Hemet, Calif., died Sept. 13, 2012. He was an equine practitioner, establishing a practice in Saugus, Calif., following graduation. Dr. Simington also founded the Hemet Raptor Rehab Center and was part of the veterinary team for the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. During his career, he took care of animals at Disney Studios and Africa U.S.A. and served as an attending veterinarian on the movie “Seabiscuit.”
Dr. Simington is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA 95616; Trout Unlimited, 1300 N. 17th St., Suite 500, Arlington, VA 22209; or Stand up to Cancer, 1801 W. Olympic Blvd., Pasadena, CA 91199.
Gail D. Williams
Dr. Williams (MIN ’66), 70, Presho, S.D., died Oct. 10, 2012. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he worked for Eli Lilly and Company in Greenfield, Ind., prior to retirement in 2005. In retirement, Dr. Williams raised Hereford cattle. Early in his career, he taught at the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences. Dr. Williams’ wife, Debbie; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to The Gideon’s International, P.O. Box 140800, Nashville, TN 37214.
Jack H. Williamson
Dr. Williamson (TEX ’50), 87, Spring Branch, Texas, died Oct. 29, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he owned Williamson Animal Clinic in Beaumont, Texas, prior to retirement in 1997. Early in his career, Dr. Williamson practiced in Mineola, Texas. He was an Army veteran of World War II. Dr. Williamson is survived by two daughters and a son.
Jon R. Witt
Dr. Witt (ISU ’66), 70, Osage, Iowa, died Nov. 3, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he practiced in Osage since 1980. Dr. Witt also farmed and co-owned J&J Auctions. Early in his career, he worked in Melbourne, Iowa. Dr. Witt was a member of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians, Iowa Pork Council, and Iowa VMA. He taught at the World Wide College of Auctioneering for 33 years. Dr. Witt was a past president of the Osage Chamber of Commerce. He is survived by his wife, Jan; two daughters; and a son.
Dr. Wolff (OSU ’57), 80, Brunswick, Ohio, died Oct. 23, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1996, he practiced in Brunswick, initially as a mixed animal veterinarian and later focusing on small animals. In retirement, Dr. Wolff volunteered with the Humane Society VMA’s Rural Area Veterinary Services. He was a veteran of the Army. Dr. Wolff’s wife, Martha; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Brunswick Food Pantry, 1255 N. Carpenter Road, Brunswick, OH 44212.