Posted Oct. 31, 2012
William C. Bogenschultz
Dr. Bogenschultz (KSU ’60), 81, Sheboygan, Wis., died Sept. 9, 2012. In 1960, he co-founded Animal Clinic in Sheboygan, where he worked for 33 years prior to retirement, first practicing mixed animal medicine, and, later, focusing on small animals. Dr. Bogenschultz served on the board of directors of the Sheboygan County Humane Society and was a past president of the Northeastern Wisconsin VMA. He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and Wisconsin VMA. The WVMA honored Dr. Bogenschultz with a Meritorious Service Award in 1987 and a 50-year Award in 2010. Active in civic life, he was a member of the Rotary Club, Boy Scouts of America, and People to People Ambassador Program. Dr. Bogenschultz served in the Air Force from 1951-1955 during the Korean War. He is survived by his wife, Shirley; two daughters; and four sons.
Stillman B. Clark
Dr. Clark (COR ’56), 82, Fairport, N.Y., died June 3, 2012. A small animal veterinarian, he founded Clark Animal Hospital in Penfield, N.Y., in 1965. Dr. Clark co-facilitated the Pet Loss Support Group at the Humane Society of Monroe County’s Lollypop Farm for several years. Early in his career, he practiced in Maryland and Vermont. Dr. Clark’s wife, Joyce; three daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Heifer International, 1 World Ave., Little Rock, AR 72202; or the Veterinary Class of 1956 Scholarship Fund, with checks payable to Cornell University, Box 223623, Pittsburgh, PA 15251.
Dr. Covitz (COR ’63), 73, Cheshire, Conn., died July 21, 2012.
James A. Downard
Dr. Downard (ISU ’51), 91, Michigantown, Ind., died June 5, 2012. He worked for the Department of Agriculture from 1964-1987. Earlier in his career, Dr. Downard was in mixed animal practice in Greenfield, Ill. He served as a first lieutenant in the Army Air Corps during World War II and received the Distinguished Flying Cross, four Oakleaf Clusters, the Air Medal, and the European-African-Mideast Service Medal. Dr. Downard was a member of the Michigantown Lions Club. His wife, Mary, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Michigantown Christian Church, 108 W. 2nd St., Michigantown, IN 46057; or Greenfield Foundation for Educational Excellence, c/o Mrs. D.L. Turpin, 608 Walnut, Greenfield, IL 62044.
Franklin J. Fishburn
Dr. Fishburn (KSU ’49), 90, Muskogee, Okla., died July 18, 2012. From 1968 until retirement in 1985, he owned Westside Veterinary Clinic in Manhattan, Kan. Following graduation, Dr. Fishburn practiced in Medicine Lodge, Kan. From 1966-1968, he taught at the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Fishburn was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and American Animal Hospital Association. He was a past treasurer of the Kansas VMA and was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1989. Dr. Fishburn was active with the Masonic Lodge and Rotary and Lions clubs. His son and daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Boulevard Christian Church, 1700 W. Shawnee, Muskogee, OK 74401.
Jack G. Giesy
Dr. Giesy (CAL ’65), 80, Vancouver, Wash., died July 28, 2012. A large animal veterinarian, he practiced at Vancouver Veterinary Hospital. Dr. Giesy volunteered as veterinarian for the Clark County Fair for more than 45 years. The horse arena at the Clark County Event Center at the Fairgrounds is named for him. Dr. Giesy was a member of the Clark County Executive Horse Council, 4-H State Board, 4-H Equine Advisory Committee, and Clark County Fair Board. The CCF has awarded the Jack Giesy DVM Golden Horseshoe Award to the most accomplished junior, intermediate, and senior 4-H horse exhibitors for the past 10 years. Dr. Giesy’s wife, Dorothy Ann; three daughters; and a son survive him.
Raymond E. Henry
Dr. Henry (OKL ’51), 86, Pawnee, Okla., died March 27, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he owned a practice in Pawnee for 35 years. With his special interest in horses, Dr. Henry served on the Oklahoma Horse Racing Commission for several years. He was a past president of the Oklahoma VMA and was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1986. Dr. Henry was also a past member of the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. He served in the Navy during World War II. Dr. Henry is survived by his wife, Mel; a daughter; and a son. Memorials may be made to the Oklahoma State University Foundation, Attn: Sharon Worrell, Oklahoma State University, 308 McElroy Hall, Stillwater, OK 74078; First Christian Church of Pawnee, 900 6th St., Pawnee, OK 74058; or Judith Karman Hospice, 915 S. Main St., Stillwater, OK 74074.
Rodney G. Oliphant
Dr. Oliphant (KSU ’63), 73, Offerle, Kan., died Sept. 19, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned Oliphant Veterinary Hospital in Offerle prior to retirement in 2010. Dr. Oliphant was also a cattle rancher and served as a feed yard consultant. He was a past president of the Academy of Veterinary Consultants and a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, Kansas VMA, and Christian Veterinary Mission. Dr. Oliphant served on the board of directors of the veterinary medical divisions of SmithKline Beecham, Pfizer, Merck, and Elanco. In 1993, the AABP honored him with the Award for Excellence in Veterinary Preventive Medicine (beef award). Dr. Oliphant was a veteran of the Air Force. He is survived by his son and daughter.
Eugene J. Roszko Sr.
Dr. Roszko (UP ’55), 83, Jackson, N.J., died Aug. 11, 2012. In 1956, he founded Roszko Animal Hospital in Brick, N.J., where he initially practiced mixed animal medicine and later became a small animal practitioner. He retired in 1991. Dr. Roszko served as a captain in the Air Force Reserve from 1960-1968. In 1972, the Rotary International Foundation named him a Paul Harris Sustaining Member in recognition of his service to the foundation. His two daughters and a son survive him.
Kevin J. Schargen
Dr. Schargen (MUR ’05), 32, Staten Island, N.Y., died March 16, 2012. A small animal veterinarian, he received his veterinary degree in 2005 from Murdoch University in Australia. Dr. Schargen began his career at South Shore Veterinary Practice on Staten Island. At the time of his death, he was practicing at The Clinic at Country Estate on Staten Island and also volunteering at several animal shelters. Dr. Schargen is survived by his son.
James M. Shuler
Dr. Shuler (AUB ’45), 89, Dadeville, Ala., died April 12, 2012. From 1979 until retirement in 1989, he served as a veterinary epidemiologist with what is now known as the Indiana State Department of Health. Dr. Shuler began his career in Augusta, Ga., where he owned a mixed animal practice for six years. He joined the Air Force in 1951, retiring as a colonel in 1979. During his military service, Dr. Shuler served as head of the Air Force Veterinary Corps in Europe. He was the recipient of the Meritorious Service, Joint Services Commendation, Air Force Commendation, and Legion of Merit medals.
Dr. Shuler was an emeritus diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine. In 1984, he received the Sagamore of the Wabash Award from the state of Indiana, and, in 1998, he was honored as a Distinguished Alumnus by the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Shuler’s wife, B.J.; a daughter; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to AU Foundation for Small Animal Hospital, 317 S. College Ave., Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849; or AU Foundation for Pet Assisted Therapy Program, School of Nursing, Attn: Stephanie Wood, 107 Miller Hall, Auburn University, Auburn, AL 36849.
John N. Tuttle Sr.
Dr. Tuttle (KSU ’54), 85, Bedford, Va., died Sept. 4, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1990, he owned Pequannock Valley Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Pequannock, N.J. Dr. Tuttle was a past president of the Pequannock Rotary Club and a member of the Pequannock Chamber of Commerce. A veteran of the Army Air Corps, he was also a member of the American Legion for more than 50 years. Dr. Tuttle is survived by his wife, Linda; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to Bedford Volunteer Life Saving Crew, P.O. Box 161, Bedford, VA 24523.
Gordon W. Vacura
Dr. Vacura (KSU ’43), 94, Bella Vista, Ark., died Sept. 5, 2012. An emeritus diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine, he was chief of meat inspection for the state of Maryland prior to retirement in 1988. Earlier in his career, Dr. Vacura served in the Army Veterinary Corps for 30 years. During that time, he was stationed in several countries, including Japan and Korea; was assigned to the Walter Reed Army Medical Center at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology; and served as curator of the National Medical Museum. Dr. Vacura attained the rank of colonel. He is survived by his longtime companion, Ilale Hunt.
Michael M. Veitch
Dr. Veitch (GA ’78), 64, Lexington Park, Md., died Sept. 18, 2012. He co-founded Three Notch Veterinary Hospital in Hollywood, Md., in 1979, and Park Veterinary Clinic in Lexington Park in 1986. Dr. Veitch initially practiced mixed animal medicine, becoming a small animal veterinarian in later years and retiring in 2012. He was a member of the Maryland VMA and co-chaired the Northern New England Veterinary Alpine Symposium for 20 years. Dr. Veitch’s wife, Pam, and three sons survive him. One son, Dr. Gavin Veitch (GA ’06), is a small animal veterinarian in the Richmond area of Virginia. Memorials may be made to Hospice of St. Mary’s, P.O. Box 625, Leonardtown, MD 20650.
Robert F. Wignall
Dr. Wignall (MID ’43), 92, Hollis, N.H., died Aug. 10, 2012. From 1981 until retirement in 2002, he owned a mixed house call practice in Hollis. Earlier in his career, Dr. Wignall owned Linwood Animal Hospital in Lowell, Mass., and Wignall Animal Hospital in Dracut, Mass. He was a past board member of the Lowell Humane Society. Dr. Wignall’s wife, Marilyn, survives him. Memorials may be made to Tufts University School of Veterinary Medicine, 200 Westboro Road, North Grafton, MA 01536.
James C. Woodard
Dr. Woodard (AUB ’58), 78, Gainesville, Fla., died May 2, 2012. He was professor emeritus of veterinary pathology at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine since 1998. Following graduation, Dr. Woodard worked as a parasitologist for the Florida Livestock Board in Kissimmee. From 1959-1961, he served as a captain in the Air Force. Dr. Woodard then worked as an instructor of veterinary pathology at Auburn University. He earned a doctorate in nutritional pathology from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1965 and joined the University of Florida College of Medicine a year later as an assistant professor of pathology, becoming professor in 1974. Dr. Woodard then served as professor and directed the Division of Comparative Pathology at the UF College of Veterinary Medicine, holding a joint appointment in the College of Medicine.
A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he conducted research on the pathology and cause of kidney lesions induced by alkali-treated, textured soybean protein; the cause and pathogenesis of nutritionally induced renal calcification in laboratory rats; and spontaneous bone and joint disease.
Dr. Woodard was a member of the International Academy of Pathology and American Association of Pathologists. In 1983, he received the Charles David Foundation Journal Scholarship Award for an article published in Veterinary Pathology and in 1985 was the recipient of the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine’s Beecham Award for Research Excellence. Dr. Woodard is survived by his wife, Valerie; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society, Donor Services, P.O. Box 4072, Pittsfield, MA 01202.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified within six months
of the veterinarian’s date of death via a toll-free phone call at
(800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email at email@example.com
; or fax at (847) 925-9329.