AVMA honor roll member
AVMA honorary member
Charles H. Bridges
Dr. Bridges (TEX ’45), 90, College Station, Texas, died Jan. 12, 2012. A diplomate and a past president of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he retired in 1986 as professor emeritus of veterinary pathology at Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences and Texas A&M Agricultural Experiment Station.
Following graduation and until 1949, Dr. Bridges practiced mixed animal medicine in Brenham, Texas. He then served as a research associate and instructor at Louisiana State University. Dr. Bridges joined the Air Force in 1951 as base veterinarian at Edwards Air Force Base. In 1953, he returned to Texas A&M University and the Walter Reed Armed Forces Institute of Pathology to continue his studies, obtaining his doctorate in veterinary pathology in 1957.
Dr. Bridges joined the veterinary faculty at Texas A&M University in 1955. From 1960-1978, he served as professor and head of the university’s Department of Veterinary Pathology. Dr. Bridges also served as a professor of comparative pathology at the TAMU Institute of Comparative Medicine from 1976-1979 and was an adjunct professor of pathology at Baylor University College of Medicine in Houston from 1978-1995. His research interests focused on mycotic diseases, neuropathology, toxicologic pathology, and inherited diseases.
Dr. Bridges was a member of the Texas VMA and an emeritus member of the International Academy of Pathology. He was also a Morris Animal Foundation Fellow. Dr. Bridges received several honors, including the Texas VMA Award for Research in 1978, the TAMU-CVM Distinguished Alumnus Award in 1994, and the Charles L. Davis Foundation’s Harold W. Casey Award for Sustained Excellence in Teaching of Veterinary Pathology in 1998. In 2000, he and his wife, Mildred, established the Charles H. and Mildred Kruse Bridges Chair in Veterinary Medical Education at the TAMU-CVM. Dr. Bridges served in the Army from 1942-1944 and retired from the Air Force Reserve as a major in 1968.
He is survived by his wife, two sons, and a daughter. One son, Dr. Gary W. Bridges (TEX ’81), practices small animal medicine in Dallas. Memorials may be made to Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church, 1001 Woodcreek Drive, College Station, TX 77845.
Myron D. Brown
Dr. Brown (AUB ’62), 74, Stanley, Kan., died June 27, 2012. Prior to retirement in 2003, he served as an industrial veterinarian for 39 years. During that time, Dr. Brown worked for several companies: American Cyanamid, Abbott Laboratories, Ceva Animal Health, Rhone-Poulenc, Sanofi-Aventis, Sanofi Animal Health, Rhone Merieux, and Merck AgVet. Early in his career, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Tallahassee, Fla., and served in the Air Force Veterinary Corps. Dr. Brown was a past director and exhibits coordinator for the Western Veterinary Conference and a past director of what is now known as the American Association of Corporate and Public Practice Veterinarians. His wife, Nancy, and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to SilverLink Ministry, United Methodist Church of the Resurrection, 13720 Roe Ave., Leawood, KS 66224.
Victor J. Cabasso
Victor Cabasso, DSc, 96, Moraga, Calif., died Feb. 28, 2012. From 1967-1980, he worked for what is now known as Bayer AG in Emeryville, Calif., first as director of microbiology research and, later, as director and vice president of research and development. During that time, Dr. Cabasso helped develop treatments for hepatitis B in humans and was known for his research contributions to veterinary vaccine development and improvement. After earning a Doctor of Science degree from the Sorbonne and University of Algiers in 1941 and serving as a research fellow at the Pasteur Institute in Tunis from 1940-1944, he began his career at the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Middle East and Greece Missions as head of the Department of Bacteriology and Laboratories. From 1946-1967, Dr. Cabasso was research virologist at Lederle Laboratories in Pearl River, N.Y., becoming head of its Immunological Research Department in 1958. He also served as acting director of its Viral and Rickettsial Research Section. Dr. Cabasso helped develop an oral polio vaccine in the early 1950s and conducted research on canine distemper, infectious canine hepatitis, bluetongue in sheep, and rhinotracheitis in cattle. He joined what was known as Cutter Laboratories (now Bayer AG) in California in 1967.
Dr. Cabasso became an honorary member of the AVMA in 1971. He was an honorary diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists and a member of the New York Academy of Sciences, New York Academy of Medicine, American and Northern California societies of microbiology, and International Association of Biological Standardization. Dr. Cabasso served on the Western Hemisphere Committee on Nonprimate Animal Virus Characterization and the National Academy of Sciences Committee on Standard Methods for Veterinary Microbiology.
In 1991, the ACVM and American Association of Veterinary Immunologists honored him for his work on vaccines. During retirement, Dr. Cabasso served on the board of directors of the Moraga Public Library. His wife, Anna; a daughter; and a son survive him.
H. Fred Clark
Dr. Clark (COR ’60), 75, Philadelphia, died April 28, 2012. He was an adjunct professor at The Wistar Institute in Philadelphia and a retired research professor of pediatrics at The Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. Dr. Clark was one of three scientists known for their work on the rotavirus vaccine RotaTeq, which is credited for saving children’s lives worldwide. In 2006, the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia awarded him its Gold Medal, honoring his achievements as a co-inventor of the rotavirus vaccine.
Following graduation from Cornell University and after earning a doctorate in microbiology and immunology at the State University of New York-Buffalo in 1967, Dr. Clark joined The Wistar Institute. He later became a research professor of pediatrics at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia and the Perelman School of Medicine.
Dr. Clark is survived by his wife, Karen; a son; two daughters; a stepson; and two stepdaughters. Memorials may be made to Parkinson Creative Collective Inc., c/o Pamela Kell, 6 Portland Road, Little Rock, AR 72212; or the Fred Clark Speakers for Justice Fund, c/o First United Methodist Church of Germantown, 6001 Germantown Ave., Philadelphia, PA 19144.
Beverly Y. Cockrell
Dr. Cockrell (IL ’65), 75, McLean, Va., died March 1, 2012. Prior to retirement, she was a pathologist and electron microscopist at Experimental Pathology Laboratories Inc. in Herndon, Va. Earlier in her career, Dr. Cockrell taught pathology at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign and Michigan State University. Her research focused on identifying tumors and lesions of small animals. Dr. Cockrell consulted and collaborated with toxicologists in determining and publishing health effects of exposures to chemicals and pharmaceutical agents. She was a founding member and a past president of the Society of Toxicological Pathologists. Dr. Cockrell is survived by her life partner, Joan De Santis. Memorials in her name may be made to the National Multiple Sclerosis Chapter, 1800 M St. N.W., Suite 750 S., Washington, DC 20036; or VITAS Hospice, 1604 Spring Hill Road, Suite 450, Vienna, VA 22182.
Raymond A. Couk Jr.
Dr. Couk (KSU ’51), 89, Joplin, Mo., died April 29, 2012. During his career, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Chanute, Kan., and northwest Arkansas. Dr. Couk served as a 1st lieutenant with the Army Air Corps during World War II. He received the Distinguished Flying Cross and the Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster. Dr. Couk’s wife, Mary; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Hospice Compassus, c/o Parker Mortuary, 1502 S. Joplin Ave., Joplin, MO 64804.
Burnell H. Grim
Dr. Grim (UP ’41), 93, Hanover, Pa., died Jan. 5, 2012. He practiced mixed animal medicine in Pennsylvania’s Adam and York counties for 50 years. Dr. Grim’s wife, Loretta; six daughters; and five sons survive him.
Ralph F. Hall
Dr. Hall (IL ’54), 85, Colorado Springs, Colo., died July 7, 2012. He retired in 1997 as professor emeritus at the University of Tennessee College of Veterinary Medicine.
Following graduation, Dr. Hall practiced mixed animal medicine in LaHarpe, Ill., for 10 years. He then joined the University of Tennessee Comparative Animal Research Laboratory in Oak Ridge. In 1973, Dr. Hall became the university’s first extension service veterinarian. He joined the veterinary faculty in 1976 and maintained a joint appointment with the University Extension Service until his retirement.
Dr. Hall served briefly in the Army during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Jean; two daughters; a son; and eight stepchildren. Dr. Hall’s son, Dr. Mark R. Hall (TEN ’80), is a small animal practitioner in Maryville, Tenn. Memorials may be made to Care and Share Food Bank, 2605 Preamble Point, Colorado Springs, CO 80915; Silver Key Meals on Wheels, 2250 Bott Ave., Colorado Springs CO 80904; or First Congregational Church, 20 E. Saint Vrain St., Colorado Springs, CO 80903.
Richard E. Hoadley
Dr. Hoadley (COL ’44), 89, Fresno, Calif., died March 20, 2012. A large animal practitioner, he was the founder of Belmont Large Animal Clinic in Fresno. Dr. Hoadley served in the Army during World War II. During that time, he was sent to Mexico to assist with the foot-and-mouth disease epidemic. Dr. Hoadley’s wife, Bella; two daughters; and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Veteran’s Community Living Center, 2615 E. Clinton Ave., Fresno, CA 93703; or Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Fresno Horse Fund, 103 S. Hughes Ave., Fresno, CA 93706.
Dennis W. Jensen
Dr. Jensen (TEX ’64), 70, Houston, died June 29, 2012. A small animal practitioner, he owned River Oaks Animal Hospital in Houston. Dr. Jensen’s wife, Janis; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to Cypress Family Fellowship’s Building Fund, 17330 W. Little York, Houston, TX 77084.
Mack I. Johnson
Dr. Johnson (TUS ’66), 73, Oxnard, Calif., died June 6, 2012. He was associate vice president of graduate studies, research, and international programs at California State University-Northridge since 1988. Dr. Johnson simultaneously served as a professor of biology at the university. During his tenure, he oversaw master’s and doctoral programs, supported visiting scholars and international students, and helped create grants for comparative agreements with universities overseas.
Earlier in his career, Dr. Johnson served as a member of the veterinary faculties at Tuskegee University, Washington State University, and the University of California-Davis. While at the WSU College of Veterinary Medicine, he was associate vice provost of graduate studies and later served as associate dean of project development affairs. Dr. Johnson’s wife, Gail; a daughter; and a son survive him. His brother, Dr. Anthony J. Johnson (TUS ’63), is a veterinary pathologist. Memorials may be made to California State University-Northridge, Office of University Advancement, 18111 Nordhoff St., Northridge, CA 91330.
Edward L. Lepley
Dr. Lepley (OSU ’65), 73, Stanwood, Mich., died Jan. 12, 2012. A small animal practitioner, he owned a practice in Howard City, Mich. Earlier in his career, Dr. Lepley practiced in Denmark and England, established a poultry research facility in Spain, and founded multiple practices in Michigan. Dr. Lepley was a member of the American Veterinary Dental Society and the Michigan and West Michigan VMAs. He served in the Army for two years. Dr. Lepley’s wife, Sharron, and a son survive him. Memorials toward underprivileged animals may be made c/o Sharron Lepley, 22745 W. Polk Road, Stanwood, MI 49346.
Nicholas W. Lerche
Dr. Lerche (CAL ’79), 62, Davis, Calif., died March 20, 2012. Prior to retirement in January, he was the associate director of the California National Primate Research Center, director of the Primate Center Pathogen Detection Laboratory, and a professor in the Department of Medicine and Epidemiology at the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Lerche was known for his expertise in infectious diseases, especially primate diseases, and preventive veterinary medicine. He conducted research on the simian retrovirus and simian acquired immune deficiency syndrome and helped develop specific pathogen-free macaque breeding colonies.
Dr. Lerche served as a consultant with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institutes for Health. Early in his career, he worked as an Epidemic Intelligence Service Officer at the CDC. In 2008, Dr. Lerche received the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science’s Nathan R. Brewer Award for his contributions to the field of primate medicine. His wife, Jacquelyn, survives him. Memorials toward a scholarship fund may be made to the UC-Davis Foundation, Attn: Lerche Scholarship Fund, UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, P.O. Box 1167, Davis, CA 95617
Charles R. Martin
Dr. Martin (MSU ’58), 82, Montague, Mich., died June 14, 2012. From 1960 until retirement in 1996, he owned Glenpark Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Muskegon, Mich. Earlier in his career, Dr. Martin worked in Detroit. He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and Western Michigan VMA. Dr. Martin served in the Air Force during the Korean War. He is survived by his wife, Jacquelyne, and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Child Abuse Council of Muskegon, 1781 Peck St. #1, Muskegon, MI 49441.
John B. McCarthy
Dr. McCarthy (COR ’52), 81, Easton, Md., died July 4, 2012. Following graduation, he served in the Air Force for two years. From 1954-1990, Dr. McCarthy practiced in New York state, first at a mixed animal practice that he established in Carmel, and then at County Animal Hospital, a small animal practice he co-owned in New City. He earned a Master of Business Administration from Long Island University in 1989, and in 1990, he joined the AVMA Governmental Relations Division as a senior program specialist, directing the legislative contact program. Dr. McCarthy developed and coordinated the Congressional Action (now, Advocacy) Network, comprising AVMA members who regularly contact congressional representatives on issues affecting veterinary medicine. He left the AVMA GRD in 1995 and established an educational consulting firm in Washington, D.C. Dr. McCarthy retired in 2009.
He was a past president of the American Animal Hospital Association, New York State VMS, and Westchester/Rockland VMA; a founder, distinguished practitioner, and a past chair of the National Academy of Practice in Veterinary Medicine; and a past executive director of the National Academies of Practice and American Veterinary Medical Law Association. Dr. McCarthy served as the AAHA delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1984-1987 and was a member of the Society for Veterinary Medical Ethics and American Society of Association Executives. He received several honors, including the 1980 New York State VMS Veterinarian of the Year Award and the 1995 AAHA Award.
Dr. McCarthy was a longtime member and a past president of the New City Rotary Club, becoming a Paul Harris Fellow in 1976. From 2003-2005, he served as executive director of the Talbot River Protection Association. His wife, Ruth, and two daughters survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 1952 Scholarship, Cornell University, College of Veterinary Medicine, Box 39, Ithaca, NY 14853; or Talbot Hospice Foundation, 586 Cynwood Drive, Easton, MD 21601.
James P. McGinnis
Dr. McGinnis (MO ’55), 89, Moberly, Mo., died March 2, 2012. During his career, he practiced in Fulton, Mo., for several years, later working as assistant state veterinarian for the Missouri Department of Agriculture in Jefferson City. Dr. McGinnis served in the Army during World War II and was a member of the American Legion. He was also a member of the Masons and Shriners. Dr. McGinnis is survived by his wife, Lyla, and a son. Memorials may be made to the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine, Columbia, MO 65211.
Rebecca K. Moody
Dr. Moody (WSU ’02), 41, Coupeville, Wash., died April 20, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, she practiced in Washington state at Whidbey Island and Mount Vernon. Dr. Moody is survived by her husband, Dr. Robert L. Moody (WSU ’02), a mixed animal veterinarian; a son; and two daughters.
Norman R. Morrow
Dr. Morrow (KSU ’59), 78, Salina, Kan., died May 1, 2012. Recently retired, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Salina. Dr. Morrow also raised Black Angus cattle. He was a member of the American Angus Association, Kansas Livestock Association, and Kansas Cattlemen’s Association. Dr. Morrow was also a member of the Salina Masonic Lodge. His wife, Marjorie; three daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 308 S. Eighth St., Salina, KS 67401; or the Dr. Norman R. Morrow Scholarship Fund, Kansas State University, College of Veterinary Medicine, 1700 Denison Ave., Room 103, Trotter Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506.
Merle L. Raida
Dr. Raida (KSU ’72), 64, Kingman, Kan., died Jan. 10, 2012. Prior to retirement in the late 2000s, he practiced mixed animal medicine in the Kingman and Hutchinson areas of Kansas. Dr. Raida is survived by three children. His son, Dr. Will J. Raida (KSU ’95), is a veterinarian in St. Joseph, Mo. Memorials may be made to the Cheyenne Raida Educational Fund, Kanza Bank, 151 N. Main St., Kingman, KS 67068.
Dr. Randall (MSU ’72), 62, Oldsmar, Fla., died May 23, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, she most recently practiced at Lakeside Animal Hospital in Odessa, Fla. During her 40-year career, Dr. Randall also served as track veterinarian at Tampa Bay Downs in Tampa, Fla., for more than 30 years and practiced at the Scarborough Animal Hospital in Scarborough, Maine. An accomplished athlete, she participated in 25 Boston Marathons and in an Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii. Dr. Randall is survived by her longtime companion, Bob Paterno.
Robert C. Rosenthal
Dr. Rosenthal (MSU ’68), 66, Seattle, died May 5, 2012. A veterinary oncologist, he worked part time at Animal Cancer Specialists in Seattle since 2010. Following graduation, Dr. Rosenthal served with the Public Health Service Commissioned Corps at the Gerontology Research Center in Baltimore for three years. He then established a practice in Norton, Mass. He later taught internal medicine and medical oncology at the University of Illinois and University of Wisconsin until 1991. During that time, he earned a master’s in veterinary clinical medicine in 1982 and a doctorate in veterinary pathobiology in 1985, both from the University of Illinois. Dr. Rosenthal left academia to join Veterinary Specialists of Rochester in New York, where he practiced for 11 years. He also had an adjunct appointment at the University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry. In 2002, Dr. Rosenthal moved to SouthPaws Veterinary Referral Center in Washington, D.C., where he practiced until he moved to Seattle.
A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Radiology in radiation oncology and of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine in both small animal internal medicine and oncology, Dr. Rosenthal was a past president of the ACVIM Specialty of Oncology. He served on the ACVIM Internal Medicine and Oncology examination committees and the Organizing Committee for the Specialty of Oncology. Dr. Rosenthal was known for his work on bone marrow transplantation, chemotherapy protocols, split-course radiation therapy for mast cell tumors, and tumor markers to monitor response to therapy and relapse. He served as an oncology consultant with the Veterinary Information Network. Dr. Rosenthal’s wife, Barbara; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Erwin Small Scholarship Endowment Fund, University of Illinois, College of Veterinary Medicine, Urbana, IL 61802; Trout Unlimited, 1300 N. 17th St., Suite 500, Arlington, VA 22209; or Jewish Family Service of Seattle, 1601 16th Ave., Seattle, WA 98122.
Raymond J. Ryan
Dr. Ryan (ISU ’42), 97, Garner, Iowa, died May 29, 2012. A large animal veterinarian, he owned a practice in Garner prior to retirement in 1979.
Dr. Ryan also served as an inspector at the Garner Sales Barn. Earlier in his career, his practice was located in Lake Mills, Iowa. Dr. Ryan was a life member of the Iowa VMA and a past president of the Upper Iowa VMA. He is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to St. Boniface Catholic Church, 660 Bush Ave., Garner, IA 50438.
Bill C. Throgmorton
Dr. Throgmorton (CAL ’63), 80, Gilroy, Calif., died Jan. 28, 2012. He practiced in Gilroy and conducted equine research. Dr. Throgmorton’s wife, Joan; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Forbes Norris ALS Research Center/CPMP Foundation, Attn: Lee, 2324 Sacramento St., Suite 111, San Francisco, CA 94115; or ALS Golden West Chapter, Greater Bay Area Office, One Embarcadero Center, Suite 1530, San Francisco, CA 94111.
John E. Tillie
Dr. Tillie (ISU ’49), 88, Muscatine, Iowa, died Feb. 29, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1994, he practiced in the Muscatine area. Dr. Tillie also served as Muscatine city health inspector for 25 years. He was a past member of the Muscatine School Board and served on the Salvation Army Advisory Board for the past 20 years. Dr. Tillie was an Army veteran of World War II. His two sons survive him.
James B. Walford III
Dr. Walford (CAL ’69), 69, Stockton, Calif., died June 13, 2012. Following graduation, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps for three years. Dr. Walford then moved to Stockton, where he established a small animal practice with his wife, Dr. Susan T. Walford (CAL ’68). He was a member of the California VMA and North Stockton Rotary Club. Dr. Walford is survived by his wife; a son; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the University of California-San Francisco Pancreatic Research Center, Box 0875, UCSF, San Francisco, CA 94143.