August 01, 2012

 

 Obituaries

Posted on July 18, 2012 
AVMA member
AVMA honor roll member
Nonmember
 
 
Jack L. Anderson
Dr. Anderson (KSU ’65), 69, Columbus, Neb., died May 9, 2012. Following graduation, he served as a captain in the former Air Force Veterinary Corps for two years. From 1967-1978, Dr. Anderson owned a mixed animal practice in Sycamore, Ill. He then moved to Columbus and founded a swine consulting practice. Dr. Anderson also taught a swine production and health course at Central Community College and owned small animal practices in Nebraska at Fremont and Grand Island prior to retiring in 2007.
 
Dr. Anderson was a past president of the American Association of Swine Veterinarians, a past vice president of the Northern Illinois VMA, and a past district director of the Nebraska VMA. He served on the AVMA Group Health and Life Insurance Trust from 1989-2003. He received several honors, including the Nebraska VMA Distinguished Service Award in 1999 and a Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Award in 2002 and 2011. Dr. Anderson was a member of the Masonic Lodge and Elks Lodge. He is survived by his wife, Patricia; two daughters; and a son. One daughter, Dr. Beth L. Soulliere (KSU ’96), is a small animal veterinarian in Omaha, Neb. Memorials may be made to the Nebraska VMA Centennial Scholarship Fund, c/o Dr. Robert Stout, 688 Newberry St., Alliance, NE 69301; or Sesostris Shrine Transformation Fund, 1050 Saltillo Road, Roca, NE 68430.
 
Dennis H. DeJong
Dr. DeJong (WSU ’51), 85, Salem, Ore., died March 20, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1996, he owned a mixed animal practice in Salem. Earlier, Dr. DeJong practiced large animal medicine in northern Washington state. He served in the Navy during the Okinawa campaign in the Pacific during World War II. Dr. DeJong was a member of the Lions Club. His wife, Kathryn; four children; and two stepchildren survive him. Memorials may be made to Willamette Valley Hospice, 1015 3rd St. N.W., Salem, OR 97304; or Oregon Lions Sight and Hearing Foundation, 1010 N.W. 22nd Ave. #144, Portland, OR 97210.
 
Henry J. Deutsch
Dr. Deutsch (COR ’50), 88, Roslyn Heights, N.Y., died April 18, 2012. He was a small animal veterinarian. Dr. Deutsch is survived by his wife, Marion, and three children.
 
Warren L. Gardner
Dr. Gardner (COL ’72), 63, Canyon Country, Calif., died Jan. 10, 2012. He was a small animal veterinarian.
 
Laverne C. Harold
Dr. Harold (KSU ’45), 89, Falls Church, Va., died Feb. 22, 2012. Prior to retirement, he served as an assistant veterinary medical director with the Food and Drug Administration. Earlier in his career, Dr. Harold was a field veterinarian and poultry inspector with the North Dakota Livestock Sanitary Board; owned a small animal practice in Sunflower, Kan.; and served as a veterinary meat inspector with both the Department of Agriculture in Kansas and Missouri, and the Army Veterinary Corps in Omaha, Neb. He attained the rank of captain with the Army Veterinary Corps. Dr. Harold was a member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians, Kansas VMA, and District of Columbia VMA. He is survived by his wife, Rosemary; three daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, Fairfax County, P.O. Box 1749, Vienna, VA 22183.
 
Clarence B. Hostetler
Dr. Hostetler (KSU ’43), 91, White Pigeon, Mich., died April 3, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1973, he served as executive secretary of the Illinois State VMA. Following graduation, Dr. Hostetler worked as an Illinois public health and regulatory veterinarian. He then briefly practiced in Dundee, Ill., before joining Cook County as county veterinarian. Dr. Hostetler was named executive secretary of the ISVMA in 1954. He was a longtime member of the Chicago VMA. In 1973, Dr. Hostetler received the ISVMA Veterinary Service Award. He was a veteran of the Army. Dr. Hostetler’s two daughters survive him.
 
Donald E. Lewis
Dr. Lewis (CAL ’83), 55, Prineville, Ore., died Jan. 20, 2012. He owned Crooked River Veterinary Service, a food animal and equine mobile practice in Prineville. Early in his career, Dr. Lewis practiced mixed animal medicine in northeastern California and eastern Oregon. He was a member of the Oregon and Idaho VMAs. Dr. Lewis is survived by his wife, Holly Imbach. Memorials may be made to the Don Lewis Memorial Scholarship, c/o Crook County 4-H, 498 S.E. Lynn Blvd., Prineville, OR 97754.
 
Richard C. Lunna
Dr. Lunna (COR ’49), 90, South Plainfield, N.J., died May 13, 2012. He established Plainfield Animal Hospital in 1952, retiring in 1989. Dr. Lunna also served as a trustee and attending veterinarian for the Plainfield Area Humane Society for several years. Early in his career, he practiced at Somerville Veterinary Clinic in Somerville, N.J. Dr. Lunna was a member of the New Jersey Metropolitan VMA. Active in civic life, he was a past president of the South Plainfield Rotary Club and was awarded a Paul Harris Fellowship in 1981. Dr. Lunna served in the Air Force during World War II. He attained the rank of first lieutenant and was awarded the Belgium Croix de Guerre Medal and the Air Force Medal with Five Bronze Oak Leaf Clusters. Dr. Lunna was a life member of the South Plainfield Veterans of Foreign Wars Memorial Post. His son and daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Wesley United Methodist Church, 1500 Plainfield Ave., South Plainfield, NJ 07080; or Plainfield Area Humane Society, 75 Rock Ave., Plainfield, NJ 07060.
 
Mary C. Opel
Dr. Opel (ISU ’77), 59, Des Moines, Iowa, died April 3, 2012. During her career, she practiced small animal medicine in California. Dr. Opel is survived by her son.
 
George C. Sturges
Dr. Sturges (MSU ’52), 91, Woodbury, Conn., died Dec. 11, 2011. From 1980 until retirement in 1986, he served as Connecticut state veterinarian. Following graduation, Dr. Sturges practiced mixed animal medicine in Turner Center, Maine, and small animal medicine in Newtown, Conn. He then served as a veterinary poultry inspector at ViBo Farm in Southbury, Conn. Dr. Sturges went on to work for the U.S. Department of Agriculture for 25 years throughout the northeastern and central states, first with what was known as the Bureau of Animal Industry and, later, with the Food Safety and Inspection Service. He was a life member of the Connecticut VMA, a member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians, and a past member of the board of directors of the U.S. Animal Health Association. Dr. Sturges was a charter member of the Old Woodbury Historical Society. He served in the Connecticut State Guard Volunteer Reserves during World War II. Dr. Sturges is survived by his son, Dr. George C. Sturges Jr. (COL ’92). Memorials may be made to the Book of Remembrance, First Congregational Church of Woodbury, P.O. Box 436, Woodbury, CT 06798; or Woodbury Community Services Council, P.O. Box 585, Woodbury, CT 06798.
 
Charles G. Wimpenny
Dr. Wimpenny (WSU ’56), 86, Coeur d’Alene, Idaho, died May 9, 2012. He owned a practice in Coeur d’Alene for 25 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Wimpenny practiced in Rosalia, Wash., for 13 years. He served in the Marine Corps during World War II. Dr. Wimpenny’s wife, Margaret; two sons; and two stepdaughters survive him.  
 
 
Memorial contributions
to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted.
When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address
of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact:
 
AVMF
 Department 20-1122
P.O. Box 5940
Carol Stream, IL 60197-5940
 
Obituary notifications
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified
within six months of the veterinarian’s date
of death via a toll-free phone call at
(800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754;
 email at news@avma.org;
or fax at (847) 925-9329.