Posted July 3, 2012
AVMA honor roll member
Roy H. Carlson
Dr. Carlson (COL ’59), 83, Northglenn, Colo., died Jan 10, 2012. He founded Northglenn Veterinary Clinic in 1960, re-tiring 30 years later. In retirement, Dr. Carlson helped establish the Adams County History Museum. He was a veteran of the Coast Guard. Dr. Carlson is survived by his wife, Beverly, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Adams County History Museum, 9601 Henderson Road, Brighton, CO 80601.
Arthur B. Douglas
Dr. Douglas (AUB ’43), 90, Collinsville, Ill., died Feb. 15, 2012. He was the former owner of Douglas Small Animal Hospital in Collinsville. Dr. Douglas was a 60-year member of the Illinois State VMA. He was also a member of the Col-linsville Noontime Lions Club for more than 50 years. Dr. Douglas’ wife, Juanita, and three daughters survive him. Me-morials may be made to First Baptist Church of Collinsville, 723 Saint Louis Road, Collinsville, IL 62234; or Collinsville Noontime Lions Club, Collinsville, IL 62234.
Robert W. Dygert
Dr. Dygert (IL ’64), 79, Springville, N.Y., died March 31, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he founded Hamburg Veterinary Clinic in Hamburg, N.Y., in 1966, practicing there until retirement in 2005. In retirement, Dr. Dygert served as a relief veterinarian. Early in his career, he was a mixed animal practitioner in Wisconsin and served as a veterinary meat inspector with the New York State Meat Inspection Program. Known for his support of, and dedication to, continuing education and the agricultural industry, Dr. Dygert administered internships for University of Illinois veterinary students via the Western New York VMA for decades. As a director and a past chair of the board of directors of the Erie County Agricultural Society, he organized internships involving hands-on work at the Erie County Fair and Exposition in Hamburg under the supervision of practicing veterinarians.
Dr. Dygert was a past president of the WNYVMA and a longtime member of the New York State VMS. In 1995, he re-ceived the NYSVMS Outstanding Service to Veterinary Medicine Award for his service to the WNYVMA and his work with developing the Erie County Fair into one of the largest in the country. Dr. Dygert served in the Army during the Korean War and was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. He was also a member of the Freemasons.
Dr. Dygert is survived by two sons and a daughter. His brother, the late Dr. David D. Dygert, was a veterinarian in Springville, N.Y. Memorials toward advancing education and careers in agriculture, animal husbandry, and veterinary medicine may be made to the Dr. Robert W. and Joanne B. Dygert Youth in Agriculture Scholarship Fund, c/o Erie County Agricultural Society, Erie County Fairgrounds, 5600 McKinley Parkway, Hamburg, NY 14075.
Rodney L. Ellefson
Dr. Ellefson (MIN ’61), 80, Watertown, S.D., died April 7, 2012. He owned a mixed animal practice in Estelline, S.D., for 30 years. Following retirement from his practice, Dr. Ellefson worked for Pfizer and in the diagnostic laboratory at South Dakota State University. He was an Army veteran of the Korean War and a member of the American Legion. Active in civic life, Dr. Ellefson was a member of the Lions Club, Estelline City Council, and Estelline Volunteer Fire Department. His wife, Pauline; a son; and four daughters survive him.
Anthony M. Gallina
Dr. Gallina (OSU ’60), 80, Panama City, Fla., died April 1, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1996, he served as interim director of the veterinary laboratories at the University of Illinois. Following graduation, Dr. Gallina practiced mixed animal medicine in Kent, Ohio. After obtaining his doctorate in veterinary pathology from the University of Connecticut in 1969, he served on the veterinary faculty of Purdue University. Dr. Gallina went on to become director of the veterinary labor-atories at the University of Illinois. In 1976, he became director of the Washington State Animal Disease Diagnostic La-boratories, serving in that capacity for 16 years. Dr. Gallina returned to the U of I in 1993.
Dr. Gallina was a past president of the American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians and a member of the United States Animal Health Association. In 1993, he received the AAVLD E.P. Pope Memorial Award for his contributions to the field of diagnostic veterinary medicine. He was an Air Force veteran of the Korean War. Dr. Gallina is survived by his wife, Dr. Lynne M. Siegfried (AUB ’64), a retired USDA veterinary pathologist; a daughter; and a son. Memorials may be made to the Barbara Gallina Scholarship Fund, Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Pullman, WA 99164.
Oliver D. Grace
Dr. Grace (COL ’40), 97, Lincoln, Neb., died May 9, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1982, he was a professor in the De-partment of Veterinary Science and a research veterinarian and head of the veterinary diagnostic laboratory at the Uni-versity of Nebraska-Lincoln. Following graduation, Dr. Grace worked as an inspector for the Food and Drug Administra-tion in North Dakota, Virginia, and New Hampshire for six years. From 1946-1953, he was an assistant professor of vet-erinary pathology and hygiene at the University of Illinois, where he also earned a master’s in animal pathology and hy-giene in 1951. Dr. Grace worked for Baxter Laboratories in Morton Grove, Ill., as head of the Department of Veterinary Medicine from 1953-1955. He then joined the veterinary faculty of UNL as an associate professor of animal pathology and hygiene. While at the university, Dr. Grace also served as animal hygiene extension veterinarian for a period of time and was acting chair of the Department of Veterinary Science for almost a year. During the cattle mutilation scare in the 1970s, he performed more than 100 necropsies and received the Our Man Friday Award from local law enforcement.
Dr. Grace was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists and a member of the American As-sociation of Avian Pathologists, Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, and American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians. He was also a member of the North Central Poultry Disease Conference and North Central Conference of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians.
Dr. Grace was elected to the Nebraska Poultry Industry’s Hall of Fame in 1978 and received the Nebraska VMA Special Award in 1977. He was also elected to the Nebraska Hall of Agricultural Achievement in 1994. A past president of the Northeast Lincoln Kiwanis Club, Dr. Grace was named Kiwanian of the Year in 1982. His son and daughter survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the Nebraska VMA Centennial Scholarship Foundation, P.O. Box 296, Alliance, NE 69301.
Kermit R. Heidt
Dr. Heidt (OSU ’51), 91, Lima, Ohio, died May 1, 2012. A small animal practitioner, he owned Heidt Veterinary Hospital in Lima for 53 years prior to retirement in 2004. Dr. Heidt was a past president of what is now known as the Lima Area Academy of Small Animal Veterinary Medicine and a member of the Ohio VMA. He was also a past president of the Lima Farmers Club and the Lima Noon Sertoma. Dr. Heidt served in the Army Air Corps during World War II and was a member of the American Legion. He is survived by his wife, Virginia, and two stepchildren.
Waldo F. Keller
Dr. Keller (OSU ’53), 82, East Lansing, Mich., died Oct. 25, 2011. He was dean of the Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine from 1995 until retirement in 1996. Dr. Keller began his 43-year career at the college as an instructor in 1953 and went on to serve as a professor of ophthalmology, chair of the Department of Small Animal Clini-cal Sciences, associate dean of academic and student affairs, and twice as acting dean of the veterinary college. He was known for his innovative teaching, and as a leader, encouraged the CVM to interact with outside faculties and programs.
Recognized for his contributions to the field of veterinary ophthalmology, Dr. Keller was a founder, diplomate, and past president of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists and a past president of the American Society of Veterinary Ophthalmology. Dr. Keller founded and served as president of the Consortium of North American Veterinary Interactive New Concept Education, an organization that promotes the use of interactive media in veterinary education. He was also a past president of the Association of Veterinary Medical Data Program Participants. Dr. Keller was a member of the American Association of Veterinary Clinicians and developed an intern matching program for the associ-ation.
Dr. Keller received several honors, including the Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teaching Award from the MSU CVM in 1967, a Distinguished Alumnus Award from The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Med¬i¬¬cine in 1980, and an Honorary Alumnus Award from the MSU CVM in 1990. Dr. Keller also received the MSU Business Women’s As-sociation Boss of the Year Award and the Pauline and Walter Adams Award in 1994 and a Michigan VMA Award of Ap-preciation in 1995. He was a veteran of the Air Force, serving as a first lieutenant in the Strategic Air Command.
Dr. Keller is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Waldo F. Keller Educational Center in Veterinary Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Development Office, F130 Veterinary Medical Center, East Lan-sing, MI 48823.
Michael W. Skinner
Dr. Skinner (KSU ’78), 65, Wilmington, Ill., died May 9, 2012. A small animal veterinarian, he owned Skinner Animal Clinic in Wilmington, where he practiced for more than 25 years. Dr. Skinner was a member of the Illinois State VMA and the Wilmington Chamber of Commerce. Memorials may be made to Doc Skinner’s Good Neighbor Policy for Pets in Need, c/o Standard Bank, 1005 S. Water St., Wilmington, IL 60481.
Robert A. Taussig
Dr. Taussig (COL ’45), 88, Manhattan, Kan., died May 21, 2012. Following graduation, he established Morning¬side Veterinary Hospital, a mixed animal practice in Sioux City, Iowa, where he worked for 20 years. In 1966, Dr. Taussig became a member of the faculty at the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine. During his tenure, he served as a clinician and a professor in small animal clinics; earned a master’s in urology in 1970; and taught four years at Ahmadu Bello University in Zaria, Nigeria.
On his return to the U.S. in 1976, Dr. Taussig served as the zoologic medicine section head at the KSU Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital and was the clinician for exotic animals at the hospital. He also served as the principal vet-erinarian for the Sunset Zoo in Manhattan. From 1983-1984, Dr. Taussig took a sabbatical from KSU and taught at Ross University in the Caribbean. He then returned to his position as a professor in small animal clinics at KSU, retiring in 1988.
Dr. Taussig received the 1972 Carl J. Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teaching Award at KSU and was honored with the E.R. Frank Award in 1984 for his contributions to veterinary medicine through long-term service to the KSU veterinary college. While in Nigeria, he and his wife, Mary, established Navigators of Nigeria, an organization that taught and mentored students in the Christian faith. Dr. Taussig also established the organization Helping International Students. In 2004, he and his wife returned to Nigeria to celebrate the Navigators of Nigeria’s 30th anniversary and were recognized as its founders. Dr. Taussig is survived by his wife; four sons; and three daughters. Memorials may be made to The Gideons, P.O. Box 140800, Nashville, TN 37214; or Christian Veterinary Mission, 19303 Fremont Ave N., Seattle, WA 98133.
W. Keith Wearly
Dr. Wearly (OSU ’50), 92, Sun City, Ariz., died April 5, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1985, he served as assistant dean of student affairs at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Following graduation, Dr. Wearly was a partner at Springfield Animal Hospital, a mixed animal practice in Springfield, Ohio, for 11 years. In 1961, he joined the OSU CVM as an associate professor of veterinary medicine, later becoming a professor and the assistant dean of student affairs. Dr. Wearly was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and Ohio VMA and was a past president of the Miami Valley VMA. He received a 1986 Distinguished Alumnus Award from the OSU veterinary college. Dr. Wearly served in the Marines during World War II in the South Pacific. His wife, Marion, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Wilmington College, 1870 Quaker Way, Wilmington, OH 45177.