AVMA honor roll member
John P. Arnold
Dr. Arnold (ISU '41), 101, White Bear Lake, Minn., died Feb. 8, 2012. From 1973 until retirement in 1976, he was in charge of animal resource facilities at the University of Minnesota. Following graduation, Dr. Arnold practiced in Blooming Prairie, Minn. He then served as an instructor and assistant professor at Iowa State University. Dr. Arnold returned to private practice in Mora, Minn., before joining the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine as an instructor in 1950. He became a professor in 1957 and was chair of the departments of Surgery and Radiology from 1956-1971. Dr. Arnold went on to serve as acting head of the college's veterinary hospitals. During his tenure at the university, he also served as an adviser to the College of Veterinary Medicine at Seoul National University in South Korea and consulted at the National University in Bogota, Colombia.
Dr. Arnold was a founder of the Minnesota Veterinary Historical Museum and served as its curator. He was a past president of the Minnesota VMA and a past chair of its Practice, Ethics, and Grievance Committee. Dr. Arnold was also a past president of the Minnesota Academy of Veterinary Practitioners. He was a member of the American Veterinary Medical History Society and the Minnesota, White Bear Lake Area, and Ramsey County historical societies. Dr. Arnold was a member of the Minnesota and English genealogy societies. He co-authored "One Hundred Years of Progress: The History of Veterinary Medicine in Minnesota."
Dr. Arnold received several honors, including the University of Minnesota Veterinary Alumni Association Distinguished and Dedicated Service Award in 1976, the MVMA Distinguished Service Award in 1977, and the Korean Veterinary Society of America Special Achievement Award in 1989. He is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Minnesota Veterinary Historical Museum, McNamara Alumni Center, 200 Oak St. S.E., Minneapolis, MN 55455.
Ervin V. Blume
Dr. Blume (MSU '43), 91, Fort Wayne, Ind., died Feb. 12, 2012. After retiring in 1990 from the Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, he worked for the Indiana State Board of Animal Health and Elkhart County Fair. Early in his career, Dr. Blume practiced mixed animal medicine in Butler, Ind., and Edgerton, Ohio. He was a member of the Indiana and Northeast Indiana VMAs, American Association of Bovine Practitioners, and National Association of Federal Veterinarians. Dr. Blume served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1943-1946 and was a member of the American Legion. He is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Bethany United Methodist Church, 7715 Sunny Lane, Fort Wayne, IN 46835; or Dr. Larry Ackermann Scholarship Fund, c/o Fort Wayne Children's Zoo, 3411 Sherman Blvd., Fort Wayne, IN 46808.
Carl S. Bozeman
Dr. Bozeman (AUB '54), 86, Hazlehurst, Miss., died Jan. 11, 2012. Prior to retirement, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Hazlehurst. Following graduation, Dr. Bozeman established a practice in Hazlehurst. In the 1980s, he joined the Department of Agriculture, serving as an inspector in charge. Dr. Bozeman later returned to his practice in Hazlehurst. He was a member of the Mississippi VMA and Mississippi Cattlemen's Association and a past president of the Copiah County Fair Association.
Active in civic life, Dr. Bozeman was a past president of the Copiah Educational Foundation, a board member of Copiah Water Association, and a past president of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees Association. He served in the Marines during World War II. Dr. Bozeman is survived by his wife, Betty; two sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to First Baptist Church, 151 Caldwell Drive, Hazlehurst, MS 39083.
Bradford B. Brown
Dr. Brown (COR '56), 82, Vassalboro, Maine, died Dec. 2, 2011. Prior to retirement, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Maine for 40 years. Dr. Brown authored "While You're Here, Doc" and "Just One More Thing, Doc." His two daughters and a son survive him.
Memorials may be made to the Crosby-Brown Memorial Scholarship Fund, University of Maine, Office of Financial Aid, 5781 Wingate Hall, Orono, ME 04469; or Kennebec Valley Humane Society, Connor Animal Shelter, 10 Pet Haven Lane, Augusta, ME 04330.
Steven R. Brown
Dr. Brown (COL '74), 62, Newport, Ore., died Feb. 3, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned Animal Medical Care of Newport since 1976. Dr. Brown was also the attending veterinarian at the Oregon Coast Aquarium and took care of Keiko, the famous orca, when he was housed at the aquarium in the late 1990s. From 1970-1976, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of captain.
Dr. Brown was appointed to the AVMA Committee on the Human-Animal Bond in 2009 and was serving as vice chair at the time of his death. He was a past president of the Oregon VMA and served eight years on the Oregon Veterinary Medical Examining Board. Dr. Brown was also a trustee of the Oregon Animal Health Foundation and president of the Rotary Club of Newport. In 2011, the OVMA honored him with the Meritorious Service Award. That same year, Dr. Brown and his wife, Marian, were named Community Legends by the Oregon Coast Council for the Arts.
He is survived by his wife; two sons; and two daughters. Dr. Brown's son Dr. Shawn N. Brown, a 2002 graduate of Ross University, is a small animal practitioner in Toledo, Ohio. His other son, Dr. Eric N. Brown, a 2011 graduate of St. George's University in Grenada, practices mixed animal medicine in Newport. Memorials may be made to Oregon Animal Health Foundation, 1880 Lancaster Drive, Suite 118, Salem, OR 77305.
Theodore A. Farmer
Dr. Farmer (COL '50), 89, Utica, Ohio, died Jan. 16, 2012. He was a retired Utica veterinarian. Dr. Farmer served in the Naval Air Corps during World War II. His son survives him.
Jack G. Flint
Dr. Flint (COR '44), 92, Roseville, Minn., died March 6, 2012. From 1960 until retirement in 1984, he served as executive secretary and director of what is now known as the Minnesota Board of Animal Health. Following graduation, Dr. Flint established a large animal practice in Waterford, Wis. A few years later, he moved his practice to Faribault, Minn. In 1956, Dr. Flint joined the Minnesota Board of Animal Health as a traveling field veterinarian. He volunteered with the American Red Cross and American Cancer Society. Dr. Flint's two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Red Cross, P.O. Box 4002018, Des Moines, IA 50340.
Thomas W. Freas
Dr. Freas (OSU '51), 84, Veedersburg, Ind., died Feb. 12, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1994, he served as Indiana state veterinarian for 15 years. Following graduation, Dr. Freas practiced in Veedersburg for 23 years. He then worked for the Indiana State Board of Health for five years before being appointed state veterinarian. Dr. Freas was a member of the Indiana VMA and Veedersburg Farm Bureau.
He received several honors, including the Indiana VMA Veterinary Service Award and Special Service Award in 1993 and 1994, respectively. Dr. Freas also received two Sagamore of the Wabash awards.
At the time of his death, he was a Fountain County councilman and a member of the Fountain County Public Defenders Board. Dr. Freas helped establish and served as president of the Southeast Fountain County School Corporation. He was also a past chair of the Southeast Fountain Community Foundation, served on the St. Vincent Hospital Board, and was a member of the Lions Club. Dr. Freas served in the Army during World War II and was a member of the American Legion.
He is survived by his wife, Helen; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to Southeast Fountain Community Foundation, P.O. Box 95, Veedersburg, IN 47987; or First Christian Church, 301 N. Mill St., Veedersburg, IN 47987.
James J. Hapak
Dr. Hapak (PUR '79), 57, Casa Grande, Ariz., died Feb. 4, 2012. He practiced small animal medicine in Casa Grande. Dr. Hapak is survived by his wife, Susan, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Barrow Connection, St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center, c/o Jo Crawford, 350 W. Thomas Road, Phoenix, AZ 85013.
Leo L. Lemonds
Dr. Lemonds (ISU '49), 88, Hastings, Neb., died Dec. 12, 2011. Prior to retirement in 1983, he owned a mixed animal practice in Hastings, Neb., for 34 years. Dr. Lemonds was a past president of the American Veterinary Medical History Society and served as its secretary-treasurer for 11 years. He was a life member of the Nebraska VMA and a past president of the South Central VMA. Dr. Lemonds served on the NVMA board of directors and was past chair of its Professional and Consumer Relations Committee and History Committee. He also co-chaired its Centennial Committee. Dr. Lemonds authored several publications, including "A Century of Veterinary Medicine in Nebraska" and "Beginning the Second Century." He was named Nebraska VMA Veterinarian of the Year in 1983 and received the association's Distinguished Service Award in 2002.
Dr. Lemonds served as chairman of the Adams County Fair Board, was a past president of the Toastmaster's Club, and was a member of the Adams County Historical Society and Adams County Genealogical Society. He was a 61-year member and a past president of the Hastings Kiwanis Club and a Hixson Fellow of Kiwanis International. Dr. Lemonds received the Kiwanis Legion of Honor for 60 years of service and the Aggie Award for outstanding contributions to agribusiness in Hastings and Adams County. He is survived by his wife, Marcella; three daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church Building Fund, 614 N. Hastings, Hastings, NE 68901; or Kids Against Hunger of Hastings, 800 W. 3rd St., Suite 202, Hastings, NE 68901.
Dr. Meyer (ZUR '50), 84, Fort Collins, Colo., died Jan. 1, 2012. He was professor emeritus of veterinary anatomy at The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine since 1986.
Dr. Meyer graduated from the University of Zurich in Switzerland in 1950. After obtaining his doctorate in veterinary anatomy from the university in 1952, he moved to the United States, where he earned his second doctorate in veterinary anatomy from Cornell University in 1957. During his time at Cornell, Dr. Meyer served as an instructor and as an acting assistant professor of veterinary anatomy. He joined the Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences in 1957 as an assistant professor, eventually becoming a professor of anatomy. In 1972, Dr. Meyer was named professor and director of the Veterinary Anatomy Institute at the University of Zurich. He returned to the United States a year later, serving as director of public relations for Poudre Valley Memorial Hospital, outside Fort Collins, from 1973-1975. Dr. Meyer taught at the University of Missouri-Columbia from 1975 until he joined the Ohio State veterinary college faculty in 1979.
A past president of the American Association of Veterinary Anatomists, Dr. Meyer twice received the Norden-Pfizer Distinguished Teacher Award, first at Colorado State in 1966 and then at Ohio State in 1981. Dr. Meyer was a member of the Fort Collins Rotary Club for more than 50 years and was a past editor of its bulletin, The Rotogear. He received the Bemis Bulletin Award in 1950 and was named Rotarian of the Year in 1977.
Dr. Meyer is survived by his wife, Marti; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to The First Presbyterian Church Youth Fund, c/o First Presbyterian Church, 531 S. College Ave., Fort Collins, CO 80524; Colorado State University Foundation for the Dr. Hermann and Marti Meyer Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 1870, Fort Collins, CO 80522; or Fort Collins Rotary Club Foundation Dr. Hermann Meyer Memorial Fund, c/o Rotary Club of Fort Collins, P.O. Box 1206, Fort Collins, CO 80522.
Dennis M. Reed
Dr. Reed (TEX '71), 64, Mount Vernon, Texas, died Sept. 12, 2011. A mixed animal practitioner, he established Reed Veterinary Clinic in Mount Vernon in 1976. Prior to that, Dr. Reed practiced in Quitman, Texas. His wife, Gail; a son; and three daughters survive him.
Kenneth H. Schulte
Dr. Schulte (UP '63), 77, Suffield, Conn., died Jan. 29, 2012. From 1971 until retirement in 2004, he owned a small animal practice in Suffield. Earlier in his career, Dr. Schulte practiced in Winsted, Conn., for a year, and worked in East Patterson, N.J., for seven years. He was a past president of the Northern New Jersey VMA and a member of the Connecticut, Hartford County, Springfield, Western Massachusetts, and New England VMAs.
Dr. Schulte was a veteran of the Army. He served on the Suffield Zoning Board of Appeals for 27 years, including service as chairman for 18 years. Dr. Schulte was also active with the Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts. He is survived by his wife, Agnes; three sons; and three daughters. Memorials may be made to the Suffield Ambulance Association, P.O. Box 642, Suffield, CT 06078; or First Church of Christ Congregational, 81 High St., Suffield, CT 06078.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified within six months
of the veterinarian's date of death via a toll-free phone call at
(800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email; or fax at (847) 925-9329.