AVMA honor roll member
Robert A. Beck
Dr. Beck (WSU '42), 92, Modesto, Calif., died Jan. 4, 2012. A mixed animal practitioner, he was a partner at Modesto Veterinary Hospital prior to retirement in 1973. In retirement, Dr. Beck continued the family rice farming operations. He was a founding member and a past president of the North San Joaquin VMA. Dr. Beck served on the boards of the California State Rabies Advisory Committee, California Rice Research Board, and Coast Veterinary Operation. Active in civic life, he was a past president of the Modesto Kiwanis Club, Modesto Irrigation District, and Modesto Memorial Hospital Association. In 1991, the American Legion named Dr. Beck Man of the Year. He and his wife, Virginia, were awarded the Stanislaus County Bar Association Liberty Bell Award for volunteerism in 1994. In 2005, Dr. Beck was named Distinguished Alumnus by the Modesto Junior College Foundation. He is survived by his wife and four sons. Memorials in his name may be made to the Modesto Chapter of the American Heart Association, 2007 O St., Sacramento, CA 95811.
Frederick C. Borgwardt
Dr. Borgwardt (MIN '61), 79, Brainerd Lakes, Minn., died Feb. 1, 2012. He practiced mixed animal medicine in the Northfield area of Minnesota for more than 30 years. Dr. Borgwardt was a past president of the Minnesota Board of Veterinary Medicine's Ethics Committee. He served eight years as a councilman in Northfield and was a member of the Town Board in Outing, Minn. Dr. Borgwardt's wife, Arline; a son; and two daughters survive him.
Glenn E. Duncan
Dr. Duncan (KSU '41), 94, Tyndall, S.D., died Nov. 14, 2011. A mixed animal veterinarian, he owned a practice in Tyndall for more than 35 years. Dr. Duncan was a past president of the South Dakota Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the South Dakota VMA. In 1967, he was the first recipient of the SDVMA Veterinarian of the Year Award. Dr. Duncan served in the Army, attaining the rank of major. His three daughters and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Duncan Scholarship, University of South Dakota, 414 E. Clark St., Vermillion, SD 57069.
Cleon W. Easton
Dr. Easton (COR '51), 86, Delevan, N.Y., died Dec. 28, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine in Machias, N.Y., co-founding Machias Veterinary Service in 1967. In 1977, Dr. Easton retired from his practice and served as a track and supervising veterinarian with the state's Racing and Wagering Board until 1983. He was a member of the New York State VMS. Dr. Easton was a past supervisor of the town of Machias, served on the Cattaraugus County Legislature, and was a past chair of the Cattaraugus County Civil Service Commission. A Navy veteran of World War II, he was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Easton is survived by his wife, Anne; three sons; and two daughters.
Louis W. Feldman
Dr. Feldman (ISU '42), 91, Story City, Iowa, died Sept. 8, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine in Rolfe, Iowa. Dr. Feldman served in the Army from 1942-1946. He is survived by two sons and a daughter. One son, Dr. John L. Feldman (ISU '74), is a mixed animal practitioner in Jewell, Iowa. Dr. Feldman's granddaughter, Dr. BreAnne C. Feldman (ISU '08), is a veterinarian in Chicago. Memorials may be made to Bethany Manor, 212 Lafayette St., Story City, IA 50248.
Jon R. Fistler
Dr. Fistler (MIN '90). 51, Fort Frances, Ontario, died Jan. 19, 2012. A large animal veterinarian, he practiced at Hillcrest Animal Clinic in Dryden, Ont., since 2011. Dr. Fistler was also an accredited inspector with the Canadian Food Inspection Agency and a member of the College of Veterinarians of Ontario. Earlier in his career, he practiced equine and mixed animal medicine in Minnesota, was employed by dairy practices in Wisconsin and Minnesota, and worked with large beef herds. Dr. Fistler served as a field medical assistant with the Army during Operation Desert Shield/Desert Storm. He is survived by his life partner, Beth Caldwell; two daughters; a son; and a stepson. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Jon Fistler Memorial Fund, c/o U.S. Bank, Cloquet Branch, 705 Cloquet Ave., Cloquet, MN 55720.
Harold W. Gehrig
Dr. Gehrig (IL '63), 73, Greenville, Ill., died Feb. 4, 2012. Prior to retirement in 2007, he practiced mixed animal medicine at what is now known as the Greenville Veterinary Clinic. Dr. Gehrig also served as veterinarian for the Greenville Livestock Sale Barn for several years. He was a life member of the Illinois State VMA. Active in civic life, Dr. Gehrig was also a member of the Bond County Farm Bureau and served on the board of Bond County Soil and Water Conservation District. He is survived by his wife, Linda; a son; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Greenville First Christian Church, 1100 Killarney Drive, Greenville, IL 62246; Good News Productions International, P.O. Box 222, Joplin, MO 64802; or Hospice of Bond County Inc., 503 S. Prairie St., Greenville, IL 62246.
Jerry A. Hergott
Dr. Hergott (ONT '49), 86, Key Colony Beach, Fla., died Feb. 22, 2012. He owned Ann Arbor Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Ann Arbor, Mich., for 30 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Hergott practiced in Dearborn, Mich., for 10 years. He was known for his expertise in orthopedics for small animals and developed a 24-hour emergency clinic in Washtenaw County. Dr. Hergott was a past president of the Southeastern Michigan VMA and Washtenaw Academy of Veterinary Medicine and served on the board of the Michigan VMA. He was a Royal Canadian Air Force veteran of World War II, attaining the rank of flight lieutenant. Dr. Hergott's wife, Nancy; six daughters; three sons; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to St. Louis Center, 16195 Old U.S. 12, Chelsea, MI 48118; or Arbor Hospice, 2366 Oak Valley Drive, Ann Arbor, MI 48103.
David W. Kenney
Dr. Kenney (CAL '62), 77, Montrose, Colo., died Feb. 14, 2012. From 1997 until retirement in 2005, he practiced part time in Colorado, focusing on wild animal and exotic animal medicine. Following graduation, Dr. Kenney established a mixed animal practice in San Diego. In 1964, he joined Sea World in San Diego, serving as its first veterinarian. Dr. Kenney left Sea World in 1972 and continued to practice in the San Diego area until moving to Colorado in 1997. He is survived by his wife, Dr. Connie L. Stapleton (COL '77), who owns Ridgway Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Ridgway, Colo.; four sons; and a daughter.
Francis D. Knippling
Dr. Knippling (MSU '50), 95, Ingram, Texas, died Oct. 13, 2011. During his career, he worked in the research department of Merck Pharmaceuticals; practiced mixed animal medicine in Minnesota at Milaca and Princeton; and served as a meat inspector for the United States Department of Agriculture in Austin, Minn., and Deming, N.M. Dr. Knippling later taught parasitology at Tuskegee University; served as a quarantine inspector in Hawaii; and owned a cattle ranch in Arizona. He is survived by two daughters and a son.
William D. Krause
Dr. Krause (COL '61), 74, Pueblo, Colo., died Jan. 20, 2012. Prior to retirement in 1994, he owned Pueblo Small Animal Clinic. Dr. Krause was a past president of the Colorado VMA and a member of the South Central Colorado VMS. In 1986, he received the CSU Jerry Litton Memorial Award for his work in agriculture. Dr. Krause was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1995 and was the recipient of the 2006 Whisker Ball Tribute for service to the Pueblo Community Animal Shelter. He was active with the Rotary Club and the Colorado State University Alumni Association. Dr. Krause served in the Army and the Army Veterinary Corps. His wife, Judith; three sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials toward Pueblo Animal Services or the First Presbyterian Church Building Fund may be made c/o Montgomery & Steward, 1317 N. Main, Pueblo, CO 81003.
Matthew B. Maberry
Dr. Maberry (WSU '47), 94, Beaverton, Ore., died Jan. 26, 2012. He owned Wildlife Enterprises, a mixed animal practice in Beaverton, since 1974. Dr. Maberry also took care of the harbor seals at the Seaside Aquarium in Seaside, Ore. Following graduation, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Oregon and Washington state for five years. Dr. Maberry then served as a veterinarian for the United States Public Health Service in Atlanta. In 1954, he moved to Portland, Ore., where he founded the Tetra Chemical company and owned Broadway Animal Clinic.
Dr. Maberry joined what is now known as the Oregon Zoo as its first full-time veterinarian in 1958, helping to establish an elephant breeding program and new facilities that would allow the elephants more freedom. He also established a continuing education program on animals for teachers in the Portland area. In 1962, Dr. Maberry became known for his delivery of Packy, the first elephant to be born in North America in 44 years. He and his wife, Patricia, later chronicled the event in the book "Packy and Me." In 2008, the Oregon VMA conferred on Dr. Maberry the Veterinary Service Award. Recently he was awarded lifetime achievement honors by Washington State University and the Metro Council. Dr. Maberry's wife; a son; and a daughter survive him.
Richard H. McFarlin
Dr. McFarlin (MSU '64), 75, St. Johnsbury Center, Vt., died Oct. 7, 2011.
Dr. Moore (AUB '55), 83, Auburn, Ala., died Dec. 14, 2011. Prior to retirement in 1998, he was a professor and director of the laboratory animal health program at the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine. Earlier in his career, Dr. Moore worked for the United States Public Health Service for 22 years. During that time, he participated in the atomic testing program. Dr. Moore served in the Army Reserve for five years. His wife, Mary; three sons; a daughter; and two stepchildren survive him. Memorials may be made to Alabama Baptist Children's Home and Family Ministries, P.O. Box 361767, Birmingham, AL 35236; or Parkway Baptist Church, 766 E. University Drive, Auburn, AL 36830.
Allan C. Pier
Dr. Pier (CAL '53), 84, Laramie, Wyo., died Jan. 25, 2012. He retired as professor emeritus from the University of Wyoming in 1993. Following graduation, Dr. Pier practiced in Humboldt County, Calif. After obtaining his doctorate in microbiology and bacteriology from the University of California-Davis in 1961, he joined the United States Department of Agriculture's National Animal Disease Laboratory in Ames, Iowa, serving as chair of the bacteriology department. During that time, Dr. Pier conducted research on zoonotic diseases and collaborated with Iowa State University, where he taught graduate classes in microbiology and bacteriology. In 1984, he was named head of the Department of Veterinary Science at the University of Wyoming. While there, Dr. Pier oversaw the expansion of the Wyoming State Veterinary Laboratory, eventually becoming its director. Known for his expertise in medical mycology and fungal diseases of animals, he served on a World Health Organization panel of specialists in medical mycology in 1987 and represented the United States at a conference of the WHO and International Society for Human and Animal Mycology in Oslo, Norway.
Dr. Pier was a diplomate emeritus and a past chair of the board of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists. He served in the Army Air Corps from 1946-1948. Dr. Pier is survived by two sons; a daughter; three stepdaughters; and one stepson. Memorials in his name toward the Wyoming Game and Fish's fishing access program may be made to ACCESS YES, Attn: Matt Buhler, Wyoming Game and Fish, Access Yes, 3030 Energy Lane, Casper, WY 82604.
Beth A. Plodzik
Dr. Plodzik (OSU '94), 45, Goffstown, N.H., died Dec. 7, 2011. A small animal practitioner, she most recently worked for Petco and LuvMyPet. Memorials in her name may be made to Animal Allies, P.O. Box 693, Manchester, NH 03105; or Manchester Animal Shelter, 490 Dunbarton Road, Manchester, NH 03105.
Max G. Pool
Dr. Pool (ISU '50), 95, Tucson, Ariz., died Oct. 28, 2011. Prior to retirement, he served as an area veterinarian for the state of Iowa. Before that, Dr. Pool owned a large animal practice in Mount Ayr, Iowa, for more than 20 years. Early in his career, he worked in York, Neb. Dr. Pool was an Army veteran of World War II. His three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Ames, IA 50011.
Hannis L. Stoddard Jr.
Dr. Stoddard (TEX '47), 88, Cross City, Fla., died Feb. 10, 2012. A mixed animal veterinarian, he had co-owned a practice in Cross City with his wife, Dr. Linda G. Stoddard (MIN '70), since 1984. Following graduation, Dr. Stoddard practiced briefly in Clarksdale, Miss. He then moved to Laramie, Wyo., where he initially worked in the state veterinary diagnostic laboratory, later going into practice there. In 1956, Dr. Stoddard earned a master's in parasitology and pathology from Texas A&M University. He subsequently joined the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, serving over the years as an animal health officer in Paraguay, as director of the International Campaign against Rinderpest in Cambodia, and as regional animal production and health officer for Latin America in Chile.
In 1967, Dr. Stoddard became professor of international veterinary medicine and vice president of international programs at the University of Minnesota. At the same time, he worked with the U.S. Agency for International Development as an assistant to the First Special Forces in South Vietnam on rinderpest eradication. In 1972, Dr. Stoddard briefly worked for an international agribusiness firm in Miami, planning agriculture projects in Central America and South America, Africa, and the Middle East. He and his wife established their practice in Branford, Fla., in 1976, shifting the practice to Cross City in 1984. At that time, Dr. Stoddard began focusing on aquaculture, eventually serving as president of the Florida Aquaculture Association. He also worked with community leaders and government officials to help develop the shellfish industry on the Gulf Coast.
Dr. Stoddard was a member of the Florida VMA, receiving a Lifetime Achievement Award in 2002. He served in the Navy during World War II. Active in civic life, Dr. Stoddard volunteered with Guardian Ad Litem, Rotary International, and Sheriffs Youth Ranches. He is survived by his wife; six sons; and a daughter. One son, Dr. Hannis L. Stoddard III (MIN '74), owns Animal and Bird Veterinary Medical Center in Norco, Calif. Memorials may be made to Haven Hospice, 311 N.E. 9th St., Chiefland, FL 32626; Florida Sheriffs Youth Ranches, 2486 Cecil Webb Place, Live Oak, FL 32060; or First United Methodist Church, 22 N.E. 138th St., Cross City, FL 32628.
Cornelius D. Van Houweling
Dr. Van Houweling (ISU '42), 93, Ames, Iowa, died Feb. 23, 2012. He served as director of the Food and Drug Administration's Center for Veterinary Medicine in Washington, D.C., retiring from federal service in 1978. Dr. Van Houweling then became the first governmental liaison for what is now known as the National Pork Producers Council. Following graduation, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Springfield, Ill. Dr. Van Houweling then served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II. He went on to work briefly as an instructor at the University of Illinois before being named assistant director of regulatory programs at what became the United States Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service in Washington, D.C. In 1961, Dr. Van Houweling became assistant director of regulatory laboratories at the USDA National Animal Disease Laboratory in Ames, Iowa. He earned a master's in veterinary microbiology at Iowa State University in 1966, moving to Washington, D.C., as director of the FDA CVM in 1967.
Dr. Van Houweling was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine and served as assistant executive secretary of the AVMA from 1950-1953. He also held leadership positions at the Illinois Farm Bureau. In 1978, Dr. Van Houweling was the recipient of both the Karl F. Meyer–James H. Steele Gold Headed Cane Award and the ISU Stange Award. The Van Houweling Research Laboratory, part of the Silliman University Medical Center in the Philippines, was named for him. Dr. Van Houweling is survived by his wife, Roberta; four sons; and a daughter. His son-in-law, Dr. H. Scott Hurd (ISU '82), is an associate professor at the ISU College of Veterinary Medicine.
George E. Wallner
Dr. Wallner (BUD '51), 86, State College, Pa., died Dec. 12, 2011. A graduate of the University of Veterinary Science in Budapest, Hungary, he owned Animal Clinic of Rutherford, a small animal practice in Rutherford, N.J., prior to retirement. Dr. Wallner was a member of the New Jersey VMA and Rutherford Lions Club. He is survived by two daughters. One daughter, Dr. Eva Wallner-Pendleton (BUD '79), is an avian diagnostic veterinarian at the Pennsylvania State University Animal Diagnostic Laboratory. Memorials may be made to the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, P.O. Box 96929, Washington, DC 20090.
For an obituary to be published, JAVMA must be notified within six months
of the veterinarian's date of death via a toll-free phone call at
(800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email; or fax at (847) 925-9329.
to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted.
When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address
of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact:
AVMF Department 20-1122 P.O. Box 5940 Carol Stream, IL 60197-5940