March 01, 2012

 

 Obituaries

Posted on February 15, 2012
 

AVMA honor roll member

AVMA member

Nonmember


 

Douglas M. Bengford

Dr. Bengford (COL '86), 52, Lakewood, Colo., died July 27, 2011. A small animal veterinarian, he worked for Banfield Pet Hospital in Lakewood. Prior to that, Dr. Bengford practiced at Nelson Animal Hospital in Denver. His two sons survive him.

 

John M. Beverly

Dr. Beverly (MO '81), 56, Myrtle Beach, S.C., died Nov. 19, 2011. An equine veterinarian, he practiced at Coastal Equine Clinic in Galivants Ferry, S.C. Dr. Beverly also consulted in Germany and Argentina. Earlier in his career, he worked in Cedarburg, Wis. Dr. Beverly was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. Memorials in his name may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 22718, Oklahoma City, OK 73123.

 

Edward H. Bohl

Dr. Bohl (OSU '44), 89, Wooster, Ohio, died July 19, 2011. A charter diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists, he was professor emeritus of veterinary microbiology at The Ohio State University's Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center. Following graduation, Dr. Bohl served in the Army during World War II. From 1946-1947, he practiced in Mount Orab, Ohio. Dr. Bohl then returned to OSU, where he earned a master's in veterinary pathology in 1948 and obtained a doctorate in microbiology in 1952. During that time, he also served as an instructor in the Department of Microbiology at the OSU College of Veterinary Medicine, eventually becoming a professor. In 1963, Dr. Bohl was named professor in the Department of Veterinary Science at the OARDC, where he remained until retirement in 1982.

Known worldwide for his expertise in the enteric viruses of swine, he focused his research on leptospirosis in cattle and swine, porcine and bovine enteroviruses, germ-free pigs, viral abortion in cattle, infectious bovine rhinotracheitis, mycoplasmosis in turkeys, colibacillosis in piglets, transmissible gastroenteritis of swine, and the mechanism of intestinal immunity. Dr. Bohl demonstrated the value of gnotobiotic pigs and used them in research on the purification and adaptation of a human rotavirus.

He was a member of the Ohio VMA, American Society for Microbiology, American Association for the Advancement of Science, United States Animal Health Association, World Association of Veterinary Microbiologists, Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, and Immunologists and Specialists in Infectious Diseases. In 1983, Dr. Bohl received an OSU Distinguished Alumnus Award. The 76th annual meeting of the CRWAD in 1995 was dedicated to him, and in 2002, the OARDC held the E.H. Bohl Honorary Symposium.

Dr. Bohl was a member of the Woosters Kiwanis Club. He is survived by three sons. One son, Dr. E. Eric Bohl (OSU '75), is in mixed dairy practice in New Richmond, Wis. Memorials may be made to the Wooster United Methodist Church Sunday School Program, 243 N. Market St., Wooster, OH 44691.

 

Patricia O. Brackett

Dr. Brackett (CAL '62), 87, Bluffton, S.C., died Oct. 17, 2011. An equine practitioner, she worked for the Maryland Racing Commission for 20 years prior to retirement. Earlier in her career, Dr. Brackett owned practices in Maryland and Virginia. Her husband, Bruce; a son; and a daughter survive her.

 

Jack R. Dinsmore

Dr. Dinsmore (OSU '41), 93, Tulsa, Okla., died Nov. 18, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned Glenview Animal Hospital in Glenview, Ill., until 1980. During that time, Dr. Dinsmore also served as veterinarian for the Brookfield Zoo. He was a past president of the American Animal Hospital Association, American Veterinary Radiological Society, Chicago VMA, and Midwest Small Animal Association. Dr. Dinsmore served on the AVMA Professional Liability Insurance Trust from 1968-1993. In 1997, he was appointed to the former AVMA Honor Roll Committee. He was a founding member of the American Veterinary Medical Law Association and Flying Veterinarians Association. Dr. Dinsmore served on the Citizens Advisory Committee for the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine and was a past chairman of the group's subcommittee on preceptorships.

Dr. Dinsmore received several honors, including the Morris Animal Foundation Award in 1970; the UOI-CVM Alumni Association Service Award, given to a nonalumnus for contributions to the development of the college, in 1974; and the 1975 Illinois State VMA Veterinary Award for meritorious service to the profession. In 1982, he received an OSU Distinguished Alumnus Award, and, in 1991, the ISVMA 50-year Award.

Dr. Dinsmore is survived by his wife, Elizabeth; a son; and three daughters. Memorials in his name may be made to St. Simeon's, 3701 N. Cincinnati Ave., Tulsa, OK 74106.

 

James J. Dorman

Dr. Dorman (OSU '40), 95, Leesburg, Fla., died Dec. 16, 2011. Prior to retirement in 1978, he worked for the Department of Agriculture in North Carolina and Tennessee. Earlier in his career, Dr. Dorman practiced mixed animal medicine in Argos, Ind., for 25 years. His wife, Nora, and three children survive him. Memorials may be made to Cornerstone Hospice of Tavares, 2445 Lane Park Road, Tavares, FL 32778; or Lake Square Presbyterian Church, 10200 Morningside Drive, Leesburg, FL 34748.

 

Harold S. Gober

Dr. Gober (AUB '40), 94, Aventura, Fla., died Oct. 28, 2011.

 

Danielle N. Goldin-Munday

Dr. Goldin-Munday (TUF '07), 45, Sutton, Mass., died Nov. 25, 2011. A small animal veterinarian, she practiced at VCA Blackstone Valley Animal Hospital in Uxbridge, Mass. Dr. Goldin-Munday was an opera singer and served on the board of the Fritz and Lavinia Jensen Foundation, helping aspiring opera singers. Memorials may be made to the World Wildlife Fund, 1250 24th St. N.W., P.O. Box 97180, Washington, DC 20090.

 

William C. Gross

Dr. Gross (KSU '50), 84, Jacksonville, Ill., died July 21, 2011. He owned a practice in Winchester, Ill., and practiced mixed animal medicine across central Illinois for more than 55 years. During that time, Dr. Gross also worked with his siblings, Drs. Glen G. Gross (now deceased), Dean R. Gross (now deceased), Robert U. Gross (KSU '54), and Joanne G. Pfeffer (now deceased), who were all practicing veterinarians in Jacksonville. He bred and raised Black Angus beefalo and traveled to South American countries to study cattle herds and to Poland to study the European bison bloodlines. Dr. Gross was a member of the Elks Club. He is survived by a daughter and two sons. Dr. Gross' nephew, Dr. Joseph M. Gross (KSU '52), practices mixed animal medicine in Winchester. Memorials may be made to the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, KS 66506; or Mayo Clinic, c/o Barbara Flasch, Department of Development, 200 1st St. S.W., Rochester, MN 55905.

 

Charles D. Knecht

Dr. Knecht (UP '56), 79, Opelika, Ala., died Sept. 20, 2011. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons and American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, he was professor emeritus of small animal surgery and medicine at the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine and former head of the college's small animal clinic. Following graduation, Dr. Knecht was in private practice in Virginia, Maryland, and Pennsylvania. He then served in the Air Force Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of captain. Dr. Knecht began his academic career at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine in 1964. From 1970-1972, he was a professor and chief of surgery at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Knecht then moved to Purdue University, where he served as a professor and chief of surgery in the small animal clinic. He joined Auburn in 1979, retiring in 1997.

In 1971, Dr. Knecht invented a surgical device known as the Knecht Condyle Clamp. He also authored the textbook "Fundamental Techniques in Veterinary Surgery." Dr. Knecht was a past president of the ACVS, American Association of Veterinary Clinicians, and American Neurology Association. He was elected to the AVMA Judicial Council in 2000.

Dr. Knecht received the Pfizer-Norden Distinguished Teaching Award in 1971 and was honored with an UG-CVM Faculty Adviser Award in 1972. He was the recipient of the AVMA Gaines Award in 1982 and the American Animal Hospital Association CYCLE Award in 1997. In 2001, the Veterinary Medical Alumni Society of the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine honored Dr. Knecht with an Alumni Award of Merit. He is survived by two sons.

 

Herbert F. Lindsey

Dr. Lindsey (AUB '46), 87, Griffin, Ga., died Aug. 25, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine for 52 years, retiring from what was known as Lindsey Smith Veterinary Clinic in Griffin. Dr. Lindsey was a member of the Georgia VMA. He is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Griffin Rotary Club, P.O. Box 473, Griffin, GA 30224.

 

Solomon S. Mirin

Dr. Mirin (OSU '36), 100, Boca Raton, Fla., died Dec. 11, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned McKim Animal Hospital in Port Chester, N.Y., prior to retirement. Early in his career, Dr. Mirin was a federal animal inspector in the mid-Atlantic states. He served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II, attaining the rank of major. Memorials may be made to Guiding Eyes for the Blind, 611 Granite Springs Road, Yorktown Heights, NY 10598.

 

George H. Muller

Dr. Muller (TEX '43), 92, Concord, Calif., died Oct. 3, 2011. A diplomate and a past president of the American College of Veterinary Dermatology and a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, he established Muller Veterinary Hospital in Walnut Creek, Calif., in 1956.

Following graduation, Dr. Muller served in the Army Veterinary Corps as a captain in the China-Burma-India theater for three years, receiving the China War Memorial Medal. He then owned Pittsburg Veterinary Hospital in Pittsburg, Calif., before establishing his practice in Walnut Creek. During his practice career, Dr. Muller simultaneously served as a clinical professor of dermatology at Stanford University School of Medicine for more than 30 years.

Known internationally for his work in veterinary dermatology, he co-authored "Small Animal Dermatology." Dr. Muller served as chair of the American Animal Hospital Association's Dermatology Committee in 1959 and helped establish the American Academy of Veterinary Dermatology, later serving as its president. He was also an honorary charter member of the European Society of Veterinary Dermatology.

Dr. Muller established the Postgraduate Symposium of Veterinary Dermatology at Stanford University, which later became known as the George H. Muller Veterinary Dermatology Seminar and is now sponsored by the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. He received an ACVD Award of Excellence in 1991. In 2008, Dr. Muller was the first recipient of the Hugo Schindelka Medal in recognition of excellence of scholarship and publication in the field of veterinary dermatology from the World Association for Veterinary Dermatology.

Dr. Muller is survived by his wife, Opal. Memorials (with the memo line of checks notated "in memory of Dr. George H. Muller") may be made to UC Regents, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, Office of the Dean-Development, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616.

 

John L. Noordsy

Dr. Noordsy (KSU '46), 89, Marion, S.D., died Sept. 30, 2011. He retired in 1990 as a professor of large animal medicine and surgery and associate dean of academic affairs and alumni relations at the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Noordsy began his career in Marion, where he practiced food animal medicine for 13 years. He joined the veterinary faculty of KSU in 1960. During his tenure, Dr. Noordsy also served as assistant head of the college's Department of Surgery and Medicine.

Known for his work in bovine surgery, he was a past president of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners and authored the textbook "Food Animal Surgery." Dr. Noordsy was a member of the AVMA Council on Veterinary Service from 1975-1986, including service as chair. He was a member and a past secretary of the South Dakota VMA. Dr. Noordsy received several honors, including the AABP Amstutz-Williams Award in 2004, an AVMA President's Award in 2008, and the KSU-CVM Distinguished Alumnus Award in 2010. His wife, Pat; two sons; and a daughter survive him.

 

Alfred A. Reich

Dr. Reich (MSU '74), 62, Rumely, Mich., died July 18, 2011. He owned North Rumely Veterinary Services since 2010, providing clinical services and house calls. Earlier in his career, Dr. Reich worked in Lansing, Mich., and Charlotte, N.C.; owned practices in Virginia at Waynesboro and the Shenandoah Valley; worked as an emergency veterinarian in Ypsilanti, Mich.; and owned Westgate Animal Clinic in Ann Arbor, Mich. His wife, Carol, and two daughters survive him.

 

Sonny D. Reynolds

Dr. Reynolds (AUB '66), 73, Murfreesboro, Tenn., died Nov. 20, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned Animal Birth Control Clinic in Nashville from 1979 until retirement in 2005. Prior to that, Dr. Reynolds served in the Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine and a member of the Upper Cumberland VMA. Dr. Reynolds is survived by his wife, Carole; a son; and a daughter. His brother, Dr. Buddy L. Reynolds (AUB '66), is a mixed animal veterinarian in Cookeville, Tenn. Memorials may be made to Rotary Foundation, Paul Harris Fellowship, P.O. Box 1391, Murfreesboro, TN 37133.

 

Joseph H. Robbins

Dr. Robbins (COR '53), 86, Rochester, N.Y., died Nov. 2, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned Robbins Animal Hospital in Rochester from 1955 until retirement in 1989. Earlier in his career, Dr. Robbins worked in the small animal clinic at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. A member of the New York State VMS, he served on its Small Animal Practice Committee. Dr. Robbins was also a past member of the Western New York VMS board of directors.

An Army veteran of World War II, he served in the European theater and was awarded a Bronze Star. Dr. Robbins is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to the First Unitarian Church of Rochester, 220 Winton Road S., Rochester, NY 14610; or Janice Lynn Cohen Memorial Fund, Colgate Rochester Divinity School, 1100 S. Goodman St., Rochester, NY 14620.

 

Ralph R. Romo

Dr. Romo (TEX '41), 97, Belvedere Tiburon, Calif., died Aug. 2, 2011. Prior to retiring at the age of 75, he practiced small animal medicine in San Marino, Calif., for more than 30 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Romo established small and large animal practices in California at Downey, Montebello, Whittier, and La Habra. An Army veteran, he attained the rank of major. Dr. Romo is survived by his wife, Alta, and a son. Memorials may be made to Hospice By the Bay, 17 E. Sir Francis Drake, #100, Larkspur, CA 94939.

 

Samuel R. Thomas

Dr. Thomas (OSU '61), 77, Bucyrus, Ohio, died Oct. 27, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine in Crawford County (Ohio) and surrounding areas for 50 years. Dr. Thomas was also the Pickwick Farms veterinarian for several years and served as an adjunct professor at The Ohio State University. He was a member of the Ohio VMA. Dr. Thomas served as Crawford County Health commissioner for 10 years and was a member of the Bucyrus Community Hospital board of directors.

An Army veteran, he attained the rank of lieutenant. Dr. Thomas's wife, Tina, and five children survive him. Memorials toward Hope Lodge, St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, Ronald McDonald House, The Humane Society serving Crawford County, Salvation Army, or Crawford County Chapter of the American Red Cross may be made c/o Wise Funeral Service, 129 W. Warren St., Bucyrus, OH 44820.

 

William L. Tilgner

Dr. Tilgner (KSU '57), 80, North Platte, Neb., died Nov. 11, 2011. Prior to retirement, he worked for the Department of Agriculture in meat and poultry inspection for 35 years. During that time, Dr. Tilgner was posted in Kansas at Wichita and Dodge City and then moved to North Platte, where he served as supervisor of western Nebraska meat plants. Early in his career, he practiced in Salina, Kan. Dr. Tilgner was a member of the Salvation Army and the City Tree Board. He is survived by his wife, Velda, and three daughters. Memorials may be made to Bethel Evangelical Church, 2700 W. Philip, North Platte, NE 69101; or North Platte Gideon Memorial Bibles, P.O. Box 383, North Platte, NE 69103.