Several companies recalled dry dog foods in December 2011 after detection of aflatoxin concentrations above the acceptable limit.
Procter & Gamble Co. recalled one lot of Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy food with expiration dates of Feb. 5 and Feb. 6, 2013. The recall is for the following versions of the product:
- 7-pound bags, code date 12784177I6, bar code 1901402305
- 8-pound bags, code dates 12794177D2 and 12794177D3, bar code 1901410208
- 17.5-pound bags, code dates 12794177K1 and 12794177K2, bar code 1901401848
Cargill Animal Nutrition recalled certain lots of the River Run and Marksman regional brands of dog food. The recall affects the following products:
- Professional Formula River Run HI-NRG 24-20 Dog Food, 50-pound bags
- River Run Professional Formula 27-18 Dog Food, 50-pound bags
- River Run 21% Protein Dog Food, 40- and 50-pound bags
- River Run Hi-Pro No-Soy Dog Food, 40- and 50-pound bags
- Marksman Dog Food 24% Protein 20% Fat, 40-pound bags
- Marksman Dog Food 20% Protein 10% Fat, 40- and 50-pound bags
- Marksman Dog Food 28% Protein 18% Fat, 40-pound bags
The above recall only applies to packaging date codes 4K0335 through 4K0365, LL0335 through LL0365, 4K1001 through 4K1335, and LL1001 through LL1335.
Advanced Animal Nutrition recalled certain lots of Dog Power food. The recall affects the following products:
- Dog Power Adult Maintenance Formula 21-12 dog food, 50-pound bags
- Dog Power Hunters Formula 27-14 dog food, 50-pound bags
- Dog Power Hi-Pro Performance Formula 26-18 dog food, 50-pound bags
The recall applies only to packaging date codes K0004 through K1322.
The AVMA posts details about recalls of pet food at www.avma.org/petfoodsafety/recalls.