Honor Roll Member
Stanley E. Blinkhorn
Dr. Blinkhorn (COL '59), 78, Eugene, Ore., died April 20, 2011. He was in small animal practice in Eugene for more than 40 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Blinkhorn practiced briefly in Portland, Ore. He served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1959-1961, attaining the rank of captain. Dr. Blinkhorn was a past president of the Oregon and Lane County VMAs. He served on the Oregon Veterinary Medical Examining Board from 1989-1997 and was a past chairman of the board. In 2002, Dr. Blinkhorn received the OVMA Meritorious Service Award. Active in civic life, he was a longtime member of the Eugene Delta Rotary Club. Dr. Blinkhorn's wife, Joan; three daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Sacred Heart Hospice, 677 E. 12th Ave. # N110, Eugene, OR 97401; or toward the building fund at Grace Community Fellowship, 989 Country Club Road, Eugene, OR 97401.
William M. Busey
Dr. Busey (OSU '58), 79, Vienna, Va., died Aug. 6, 2011. Retired since 2004, he co-founded Experimental Pathology Laboratories Inc. in Herndon, Va., in 1971. Dr. Busey was instrumental in designing and developing a pathology peer review system for verifying the pathology data generated by the National Cancer Institute's National Toxicology Program. Recognizing the value of preserving and maintaining biomaterials and related scientific data, he also co-founded EPL Pathology Archives in 1978.
Following graduation, Dr. Busey practiced large animal medicine in Franklin, Ky.; ran the North Carolina state herd health program; and headed a swine research laboratory in Edenton, N.C. In 1961, he was awarded a four-year grant from the National Institutes of Health to attend Colorado State University, where he obtained a master's degree and a doctorate in veterinary pathology. Dr. Busey began his veterinary pathology career in 1965 at Hazleton Laboratories in Vienna. In 2005, The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Society honored him with the Alumni Recognition Award. Dr. Busey is survived by his wife, Betty; a daughter; and a son. Memorials may be made to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1900 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210; or Grear Memorial Garden, Immanuel Presbyterian Church, 1125 Savile Lane, McLean, VA 22101.
Hugh C. Butler
Dr. Butler (WSU '54), 86, Austin, Texas, died July 23, 2011. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, he was a professor of small animal surgery at Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine from 1968 until retirement in 1986. Dr. Butler was among the first veterinary surgeons in the United States to adopt an advanced Swiss system of using plates and screws for fracture repair in dogs. He was also known for his research and work in kidney transplantation.
Dr. Butler began his career as assistant state veterinarian for the Montana Livestock Sanitary Board. From 1955-1964, he served as a professor of animal surgery and physiology at the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Butler then moved to New York, where he was a small animal surgeon at the Animal Medical Center. He also conducted research at the Sloane-Kettering Institute in Manhattan, where he developed surgical techniques to advance the science of artificial joint replacement.
Dr. Butler received several honors, including the WSU-CVM McCoy Memorial Award in 1974 for his work in clinical veterinary medicine and the E.R. Frank Award from the KSU-CVM in 2000 for meritorious service to the college and the veterinary profession. He was an Army veteran of World War II, attaining the rank of 2nd lieutenant. Dr. Butler's two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Rails-to-Trails Conservancy, The Duke Ellington Building, 2121 Ward Court. N.W., 5th Floor, Washington, DC 20037.
Gerald B. Conger
Dr. Conger (COL '57), 82, Caldwell, Idaho, died June 27, 2011. He founded Conger Small Animal Hospital in Caldwell in 1958, practicing there for 29 years. Dr. Conger then served as a relief veterinarian until 1995. Early in his career, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Bozeman, Mont. Dr. Conger was a past president of the Idaho VMA and a founder and charter member of the Idaho Academy of Veterinary Medicine. He was also a past president of the Southwest Idaho VMA, served on the Idaho Board of Veterinary Medicine, and was a past Region 6 director for the American Animal Hospital Association. Dr. Conger was named Idaho Veterinarian of the Year in 1983 and received the IVMA Presidential Citation Award in 2008. Active in civic life, he was a past president of the Caldwell Rotary Club and was named 1998 Rotarian of the Year. Dr. Conger was also active with The Elks and Boy Scouts of America. His wife, Shirley; three sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Caldwell Rotary Foundation, P.O. Box 24, Caldwell, ID 83606.
Nicholas S. Dzubay
Dr. Dzubay (MIN '53), 84, Barron, Wis., died July 17, 2011. Prior to retirement in 1995, he worked for the United States Department of Agriculture in meat inspection. During that time, Dr. Dzubay was assigned to what was known as Jerome Foods in Wisconsin as inspector-in-charge for 24 years. Following graduation, he practiced large animal medicine in Cameron, Wis., for 11 years, while also working for Abbott's Dairy. In 1964, Dr. Dzubay returned to the University of Minnesota, where he earned a doctorate in public health and then moved back to Cameron to join the USDA. He was an Army Air Corps veteran of World War II. Dr. Dzubay's wife, Shirley; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Holy Trinity Orthodox Church, 523 First St., Clayton, WI 54004.
James C. Hathaway
Dr. Hathaway (COL '90), 49, Livermore, Colo., died Aug. 14, 2011. He owned Granite Canyon Surgical Services, a home-based practice covering Colorado and Wyoming that focused on orthopedic surgery. Dr. Hathaway is survived by his wife, Sandra; two daughters; and a son.
Ivin M. Jackson
Dr. Jackson (COL '38), 99, Kimberly, Idaho, died March 14, 2011. A small animal veterinarian, he practiced at Twin Falls Veterinary Hospital in Twin Falls, Idaho, with his brother, Dr. Delwyn A. Jackson (now deceased), for 40 years. Dr. Jackson served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II, attaining the rank of major. His two sons and two daughters survive him.
Lowell M. Jones
Dr. Jones (OSU '41), 95, Bowling Green, Ohio, died June 24, 2011. A mixed animal veterinarian, he established a practice in Bowling Green in 1946, working there until retirement in 1997. During that time, Dr. Jones was joined in practice by his brother, Dr. Kenneth Jones (now deceased), from 1951-1972, and his son, Dr. John A. Jones (VMR '93), from 1993. Earlier in his career, Dr. Jones practiced briefly in Murray, Ky., and served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of major. Active in civic life, he was a longtime member and a past president of the Bowling Green Rotary Club. Dr. Jones is survived by five daughters and his son. Memorials may be made to the Lowell Jones Scholarship Fund, Bowling Green Rotary Club, c/o Carl A. Lipp, Treasurer, 1047 Charles St., Bowling Green, OH 43402.
Robert A. Kainer
Dr. Kainer (COL '49), 88, Fort Collins, Colo., died Aug. 20, 2011. After earning a master's degree in anatomy from Washington State University in 1952, Dr. Kainer moved to Idaho Springs, Colo., where he taught science at Idaho Springs High School and operated a practice. In 1961, he joined the veterinary faculty of Colorado State University, teaching anatomy for the next 30 years. Dr. Kainer retired in 1991 as professor emeritus. He later accepted a teaching position at Ross University in St. Kitts, West Indies, where he taught histology. Dr. Kainer retired for the second time in 2008. He was named Top Professor in 1965 by Colorado State University and received the Ross University/DeVry Institute Pride Award for outstanding service in teaching in 2006. Dr. Kainer was an Army veteran of World War II. He is survived by his son. Memorials may be made to the Larimer County Humane Society, c/o Vessey Funeral Service, 2649 E. Mulberry St. A-1, Fort Collins, CO 80524.
Herbert C. Lloyd Sr.
Dr. Lloyd (AUB '64), 82, Arcadia, Fla., died July 6, 2011. A mixed animal veterinarian, he practiced in Florida for more than 45 years. During that time, Dr. Lloyd served as the resident veterinarian for Big B Ranch in South Bay; owned Everglades Animal Hospital in Belle Glade; owned Clewiston Animal Clinic in Clewiston; established Arcadia Animal Clinic; and practiced in Immokale. Prior to establishing Arcadia Animal Clinic, he left Florida briefly to work as a technical field specialist for Diamond Labs in Des Moines, Iowa. Dr. Lloyd also volunteered with the Peace Corps in Morocco and with the Christian Veterinary Mission in Honduras, Asia, Africa, Mongolia, and South America.
He was a past president of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, a past treasurer of the Florida VMA, a past president of the Palm Beach County Veterinary Society, and a charter member of the Academy of Veterinary Consultants. Dr. Lloyd was also a member of the Arcadia Rotary Club. He served as a lieutenant in the Army during the Korean War. Dr. Lloyd's wife, Jeanne; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to First Baptist Church, 1006 N. Brevard Ave., Arcadia, FL 34266; or Christian Veterinary Mission, 19303 Fremont Ave. N., Seattle, WA 98133.
Harold V. Miller
Dr. Miller (OKL '60), 78, Shawnee, Okla., died July 12, 2011. A diplomate of the American College of Theriogenologists, he was a consultant in dairy herd management since the mid-1980s. Early in his career, Dr. Miller practiced mixed animal medicine at Shawnee Animal Hospital for 16 years and served as a professor at the Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine for two years. He was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners and the Oklahoma VMA. Dr. Miller was the 1993 OVMA Food Practitioner of the Year and Veterinarian of the Year in 2000. He was active with the 4-H Club and Future Farmers of America and was a past board member of the Shawnee Conservation District. Dr. Miller is survived by his wife, Jean; a son; and three daughters. Memorials may be made to the Oklahoma State University Foundation (with the memo line of the check notated The Harold V. Miller Fund #28-90500), P.O. Box 1749, Stillwater, OK 74076.
Bruce W. Mueller
Dr. Mueller (ORS '86), 49, Sheridan, Ore., died Aug. 19, 2011. He was a field veterinarian with the Oregon Department of Agriculture. Dr. Mueller's responsibilities included overseeing the Johne's and Avian Influenza Control programs. Earlier in his career, he worked with the Peace Corps and Heifer International in Mafia, Tanzania, improving milk production and with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America in Linguere, Senegal, improving herd health and animal production. Dr. Mueller's wife, Kathryn, and four children survive him.
Thomas W. Ohlson
Dr. Ohlson (WSU '51), 88, Danville, Calif., died July 14, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine in California's San Ramon Valley. Dr. Ohlson also helped establish an emergency animal clinic in the county. Dr. Ohlson was a Navy veteran of World War II. Active in civic life, he was a past president of the Danville Chamber of Commerce and a member of the San Ramon Valley School Board. Dr. Ohlson was also a past president of the Danville Rotary Club, receiving a Paul Harris Fellow Award in 1976 and a Lifetime Service Award in 2010. He is survived by his wife, Gloria, and six children. Memorials may be made to The Rotary Foundation, P.O. Box 224, Danville, CA 94526.
Jimmy R. Peacock
Dr. Peacock (AUB '58), 82, Clermont, Fla., died Aug. 27, 2011. Prior to retirement in 1980, he worked for the Florida Department of Agriculture, testing show horses. Dr. Peacock began his career in Winter Garden, Fla., where he was in dairy practice. In 1966, he established South Lake Animal Hospital, a mixed animal practice in Clermont. Dr. Peacock sold the practice ten years later and joined the Florida Department of Agriculture. He was a past president of the Central Florida VMA and a past chair of the Lake Sumter Community College Board of Trustees. Dr. Peacock was also a past president of the South Lake Rotary Club. His wife, Margaret; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Auburn University Library, Auburn, AL 36849.
Jack D. Rux Jr.
Dr. Rux (TEX '73), 63, Olney, Texas, died June 18, 2011. He practiced mixed animal medicine at Olney Veterinary Hospital for 30 years. Dr. Rux served as a captain in the Army from 1972-1976 and was a member of the American Legion. He was a recipient of the Olney Chamber of Commerce Pioneer Award for his 30 years of dedicated and loyal service to the community. Dr. Rux's wife, Jerry; two daughters; and two stepdaughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Hospice of Wichita Falls, P.O. Box 4804, Wichita Falls, TX 76308.
Carl L. Schenholm
Dr. Schenholm (COR '46), 88, Sedona, Ariz., died Aug. 5, 2011. During his 58-year career, he practiced in Westport, N.Y.; established Schenholm Veterinary Hospital, a mixed animal practice in Flemington, N.J.; and founded Schenholm Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice in Fort Lauderdale, Fla. When Dr. Schenholm retired in 2004, he was honored by the city of Oakland Park, Fla., for his contributions to the city. He was a member of the Broward County VMA and the Rotary Club. Dr. Schenholm was a veteran of the Army. He is survived by his wife, Sandi, and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Box 39, Ithaca, NY 14853; or Hummingbird Society, 6560 Highway 179, Suite 204, Sedona, AZ 86351.
Amos W. Stults
Dr. Stults (UP '35), 100, Hopewell, N.J., died March 26, 2011. A mixed animal veterinarian, he established a practice in Hopewell in 1935, retiring after 70 years of practice. Dr. Stults was a past president of the New Jersey VMA. He received the association's Distinguished Service Award in 1979. In 2000, Dr. Stults was a recipient of the Centennial Award from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine. He was named Central New Jersey VMA Veterinarian of the Year in 2002. Active in civic life, Dr. Stults was a past president of the Hopewell Board of Education. He is survived by a son and a daughter. Dr. Stults' son, Dr. Amos Stults Jr. (UP '73), is a veterinarian in Ringoes, N.J. Memorials in his name may be made to the Scholarship Fund, University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, 3800 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19104.
Patrick R. Walker
Dr. Walker (AUB '79), 62, Loudon, Tenn., died May 3, 2011. A mixed animal practitioner, he was the founder of Loudon County Animal Hospital. Dr. Walker helped establish an animal shelter in Loudon County and was active with the Loudon County Humane Society. He served in the Army during the Vietnam War, earning a Bronze Star. Active in civic life, Dr. Walker was a longtime member of the Loudon Lions Club. He is survived by two sons. Memorials may be made to the Loudon County Humane Society, P.O. Box 602, Lenoir City, TN 37771; or Smile Train, P.O. Box 96231, Washington, DC 20090.
Richard A. Weaver
Dr. Weaver (OSU '65), 76, Canton, Ohio, died July 28, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned Veterinary Wellness Center of North Canton, focusing on providing affordable veterinary services. During his 48-year career, Dr. Weaver spent a year on the Oglala Sioux Reservation in South Dakota as a representative of the Outreach Program of the Ohio VMA, treating animals and working with high-risk youth. He also volunteered with the Christian Veterinary Mission, traveling to Haiti, Honduras, Guatemala, Romania, Mexico, and Peru. Dr. Weaver was a member of the Ohio and Stark County VMAs. His wife, Virginia; two sons; two daughters; and four stepsons survive him. One son, Dr. T. Wayne Watkins (OSU '85), is a veterinarian in McCook, Neb. Memorials may be made to Christian Veterinary Mission, 19303 Fremont Ave. N., Seattle, WA 98133.
Your assistance is needed
to ensure timely publication of obituaries.
Please report the death of a veterinarian promptly to
AVMA News Staff: (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754;
email; fax: (847) 925-9329.