May 15, 2011

 

 Obituaries

posted April 28, 2011
 

AVMA Honor Roll Member

AVMA Member

Nonmember


David F. Anderson

Dr. Anderson (KSU '72), 65, Olathe, Kan., died Jan. 11, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned Anderson Animal Clinic in Olathe. Dr. Anderson is survived by his wife, Roberta; two daughters; two stepdaughters; and a stepson. Memorials may be made to Wayside Waifs, 3901 Martha Truman Road, Kansas City, MO 64137.

Robert L. Brewer

Dr. Brewer (CAL '54), 83, Fayetteville, Ark., died Nov. 25, 2010. He worked for the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C., from 1983 until retirement in 2006. Earlier in his career, Dr. Brewer served on the veterinary faculties of Texas A&M University and the University of Illinois and practiced mixed animal medicine in the Chicago area, also serving as veterinarian for the local humane society. In retirement, he conducted poultry research at the University of Arkansas. Dr. Brewer was an Army veteran of World War II, retiring with the rank of colonel. He is survived by three sons. Memorials may be made to the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, Davis, CA 95616.

Richard L. Cook

Dr. Cook (KSU '83), 53, Jackson Springs, N.C., died Nov. 5, 2010. He served as a supervisory veterinary medical officer with the Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service in Raleigh, N.C., since 2005. During that time, Dr. Cook also served as a relief SVMO at Rockingham, N.C. Following graduation, he practiced mixed animal medicine in Attica, Kan., for three years. Dr. Cook then worked at Hilltop Animal Health Center in Baldwin City, Kan. From 1989-2005, he owned Animal Health Center of Carrollton, a mixed animal practice in Carrollton, Mo.

Dr. Cook was a member of the Missouri VMA. His wife, Devonne; five sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to First Assembly of God, 160 Clemmer Road, Rockingham, NC 28379.

Glynden T. Easley

Dr. Easley (KSU '46), 95, Sulphur, Okla., died Jan. 20, 2011. A bovine practitioner, he owned a practice in Sulphur from 1976-1985. Dr. Easley also owned a Hereford cattle operation, which he continued until retirement in 1997. Early in his career, he served as veterinarian at the Turner Ranch. During that time, Dr. Easley became known for his work in artificial insemination and beef cattle fertility. He was a member of the American and Oklahoma Hereford associations and the Oklahoma VMA. Dr. Easley received the AVMA Practitioner Research Award in 1960, and in 1981 the OHA dedicated the Tulsa State Fair Register of Merit Hereford Show to him. In 1993, he was named OVMA Food Animal Practitioner of the Year.

Active in civic life, Dr. Easley served on the Sulphur Board of Education from 1967-1981. He is survived by two daughters and a son. Memorials toward the building fund may be made to Sulphur United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 657, Sulphur, OK 73086.

Charles E. Eastin

Dr. Eastin (OSU '51), 86, Paris, Ky., died Jan. 28, 2011. Following graduation, he served on the faculty of the Institute Agronomico do Norte in Brazil for two years. During that time, Dr. Eastin helped organize a school of veterinary medicine; conducted research on environmental adaptations and parasitism in cattle and water buffalo; and served as a grantee of the Rockefeller Foundation, studying the nutritional qualities of native Brazilian grasses, using animal feeding trials and other research methods. On his return to the United States, he practiced equine and bovine medicine in Kentucky and Virginia; worked for Hagyard, Davidson, and McGee in Lexington, Ky.; and served as Fayette County Livestock Inspector.

In 1961, Dr. Eastin was appointed veterinarian at the University of Kentucky Albert B. Chandler Medical Center. He was named director of laboratory animal care in 1969, also serving as an associate professor in the Department of Surgery. In the early '70s, Dr. Eastin went back to large animal practice in Lexington. He retired in the early 2000s.

Dr. Eastin was a past president of the Central Kentucky VMA, a past member of the board of directors of the American Veterinary Medical History Society, and a member of the Kentucky VMA and American Association of Equine Practitioners. He was also a charter member and a past president of the Kentucky Livestock Improvement Association, served on the Kentucky State Fair Board and Governor's Council on Agriculture, and was a member of the Thoroughbred Club of America, American and Kentucky Angus associations, American Brahma Breeders Association, and United States Livestock Sanitary Association. In 2009, Dr. Eastin received the KVMA Distinguished Service Award.

Active in civic life, he was a past vice chairman of the Lexington Junior Chamber of Commerce, served on the Fayette County 4-H Club Leader's Council, was a past state chairman of the Kentucky Junior Chamber of Commerce, and was a member of the Kentucky and Lexington chambers of commerce and Lexington Rotary Club. Dr. Eastin is survived by a son and four daughters. His son, Dr. Charles E. Eastin II (TUF '98) owns Sterling Park Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Sterling, Va. Memorials may be made to The Betty D. Eastin Historic Costume Collection, College of Agriculture, E.S. Good Barn, 1451 University Drive, Lexington, KY 40546; University of Kentucky Special Collections, 1-85 William T. Young Library, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40506; Rotary Club of Lexington, Scholarship Fund, Suite 305, 401 W. Main St., Lexington, KY 40507; or Walnut Hill Church, 575 Walnut Hill Road, Lexington, KY 40515.

A. Redmond Elliott

Dr. Elliott (ONT '50), 85, Camrose, Alberta, died Jan. 18, 2011. From 1950-1978, he owned a mixed animal practice in Camrose. In later years, Dr. Elliott served as an agricultural consultant with the Sampson Band Enterprises beef cattle operation in Hobbema, Canada. He was a member of the Canadian and Alberta VMAs and the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. Dr. Elliott was also a founding director of the Canadian Bull Congress and a charter member of the local artificial insemination co-op. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Royal Canadian Navy. Active in civic life, Dr. Elliott was a longtime member of the Rotary Club. He is survived by his wife, Frances; a daughter; and four sons. Memorials may be made to Parkinson Society of Alberta, Edmonton General Hospital, Room 3Y18, 1111 Jasper Ave., Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T5GOL4.

James H. Gillespie

Dr. Gillespie (UP '39), 93, Ithaca, N.Y., died Jan. 10, 2011. He was professor emeritus of veterinary bacteriology and past chairman of the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Following graduation, Dr. Gillespie served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. He then worked as assistant poultry pathologist at the University of New Hampshire. In 1946, Dr. Gillespie joined the veterinary faculty of Cornell University as assistant professor of poultry diseases. He was named assistant director of the university's Veterinary Virus Research Institute in 1950 and became professor of veterinary bacteriology in 1956. In 1972, Dr. Gillespie was appointed chair of the Department of Veterinary Microbiology and Immunology and served in that capacity until retirement in 1986.

During his tenure, he conducted research in bacterial and viral diseases of animals and was known for his contributions to research in virology, particularly his work on canine distemper. Dr. Gillespie had a special interest in foot-and-mouth disease and served as a special consultant to the Minister of Agriculture in Colombia in 1963, investigating the disease. He was a past member of the AVMA Council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents. Dr. Gillespie was also a member of the Society of American Bacteriologists, Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, American Association for the Advancement of Science, and New York State VMS. In 1971, he received the American Animal Hospital Association Merit Award and the AVMA Gaines Award. Dr. Gillespie's wife, Virginia; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Salvation Army of Ithaca, 150 N. Albany St., Ithaca, NY 14850; or Tompkins County SPCA, 1640 Hanshaw Road, Ithaca, NY 14850.

Jasha L. Glasser

Dr. Glasser (MID '45), 89, Cedar Grove, N.J., died Jan. 9, 2011. Prior to retirement in 1989, he served as a supervisory veterinarian for the Department of Agriculture's Food Safety and Inspection Service. Dr. Glasser was a member of the Cedar Grove Environmental Committee. He is survived by his wife, Claire, and two sons. Memorials may be made to St. Barnabas Hospice, 95 Old Short Hills Road, West Orange, NJ 07052.

George M. Kerr

Dr. Kerr (KSU '35), 101, Wilmington, N.C., died Jan. 20, 2011. Prior to retirement at the age of 70, he worked for the state of North Carolina. Following graduation and until 1962, Dr. Kerr served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was a veteran of World War II and the Korean and Vietnam wars. A member of the Wilmington Lions Club, Dr. Kerr was honored with the President's Award for Service. His wife, Lenore, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Carolina Canines for Service, P.O. Box 12643, Wilmington, NC 28405.

Gordon J. Kruger

Dr. Kruger (ISU '42), 91, Normal, Ill., died Feb. 10, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he was the founder of Kruger Animal Hospital in Normal. Dr. Kruger also served as veterinarian for the Miller Park Zoo and Illinois State Fair for several years. Early in his career, he worked for the University of Illinois Veterinary Extension. Dr. Kruger was a past president of the Mississippi Valley VMA and a member of the Illinois State VMA. He was also a member of the University of Illinois Foundation, McLean County Farm Bureau, and Bloomington Elks. Dr. Kruger is survived by three sons and a daughter. One son, Dr. David G. Kruger (IL '78), practices at Kruger Animal Hospital. Dr. Kruger's son-in-law, Dr. Warren R. Brunton (IL '62), is a veterinarian in Bloomington, Ill. Memorials may be made to the Epiphany Building Fund, 1000 E. College Ave., Normal, IL 61761; Midwest Food Bank, 1703 S. Veterans Parkway, Bloomington, IL 61701; or Home Sweet Home Mission, 303 E. Oakland Ave., Bloomington, IL 61701.

Thomas H. Lawrence

Dr. Lawrence (COR '38), 95, Buena Vista, Colo., died Jan. 30, 2011. An equine practitioner, he owned practices in New Jersey at Red Bank and Homdel; Buena Vista; and Solving, Calif., prior to retirement in his early 80s. Dr. Lawrence served as a lieutenant colonel in the Army during World War II. He is survived by his wife, Joan, and a daughter.

George M. McCown III

Dr. McCown (GA '68), 72, Marietta, Ga., died Jan. 30, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned Austell Road Veterinary Clinic in Marietta since the mid-1970s. Earlier in his career, Dr. McCown served as associate veterinarian at Florence Animal Hospital in Florence, S.C., and Chastain Animal Clinic in Smyrna, Ga. Dr. McCown was a member of the Cobb County Emergency Veterinary Clinic and the Georgia and Cobb County VMAs. His wife, Jacklyn; three daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Southminster Presbyterian Church, 1507 Hurt Road S.W., Marietta, GA 30008.

Norvan L. Meyer

Dr. Meyer (KSU '47), 85, Alexandria, Va., died Jan. 27, 2011. He retired in 1985 as deputy administrator of international programs with the Department of Agriculture's Animal Plant and Health Inspection Service. Following graduation, Dr. Meyer was in private practice in Iowa and Missouri. He joined the USDA in 1950. During his 35-year career with the department, he served in Mexico as part of the foot-and-mouth disease eradication program, headed the program that helped eradicate screwworms in the southwest United States, and worked in Missouri, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa, and Washington, D.C. Dr. Meyer authored "History of the Mexico-United States Screwworm Eradication Program." He received several honors, including the 1983 Presidential Distinguished Executive Award; USDA certificates of merit in 1980 and 1985; and the USDA Certificate of Superior Service in 1981. Dr. Meyer was a member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians and was a trustee of the Southwest Animal Health Research Foundation. He was also a member of the United States Animal Health Association and a past member of its Foreign Animal Disease Committee. Dr. Meyer's wife, Aileen; two sons; and a daughter survive him.

Larry J. Oliver

Dr. Oliver (KSU '69), 75, Stanford, Ky., died Jan. 26, 2011. He owned Animal Care Center, a mixed animal practice in Stanford, until 2006. Dr. Oliver was a member of the Kentucky VMA. He served on the Lincoln County Board of Health for 24 years and was a past director of the Lincoln County Farm Bureau. Dr. Oliver was named Lincoln County Chamber of Commerce Farmer of the Year in 2004 and received the chamber's Health Care Service Award in 2007. He was also honored by the Lincoln County Cattlemen's Association with the Agriculture Service Award for 37 years of service and the LCFB Service Award. Dr. Oliver's wife, Lois, and four daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, 1 Billy Graham Parkway, Charlotte, NC 28201.

Dan F. Sewell

Dr. Sewell (GA '85), 51, Griffin, Ga., died Jan. 15, 2011. He worked at South Metro Bone and Joint in Stockbridge, Ga. Earlier in his career, Dr. Sewell owned Fairview Animal Hospital, a mixed animal practice he established after graduation. His three sons and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to New Georgia Baptist Church Building Fund, 6092 Mulberry Rock Road, Villa Rica, GA 30180.

George Walmsley

Dr. Walmsley (OSU '39), 93, Fairhaven, Mass., died Sept. 20, 2010. He practiced mixed animal medicine at Capeway Veterinary Hospital in Fairhaven for 50 years. Dr. Walmsley served in the Army during World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was a past member of the Fairhaven Board of Health. Dr. Walmsley is survived by his wife, Mary; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Shepherd's Pantry, P.O. Box 760, Fairhaven, MA 02719.

Charles L. Ward

Dr. Ward (CAL '71), 67, Mebane, N.C., died Jan. 18, 2011. A small animal practitioner, he owned The Animal Hospital of Carrboro in Carrboro, N.C., until 2008. Dr. Ward also served as an adjunct associate professor of special species medicine in the Department of Clinical Sciences at North Carolina State University. He was a past president of the North Carolina VMA. Dr. Ward is survived by his wife, Beth.

Leigh West-Hyde

Dr. West-Hyde (CAL '78), 60, Davis, Calif., died Jan. 13, 2011. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists, she served on the faculty of the Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital at the University of California-Davis. While at the university, Dr. West-Hyde helped develop the clinical and academic dental program at the VMTH, resulting in the Michael R. Floyd Operatory Suite that was established in 1992. She was a member of the American Society of Veterinary Ophthalmology and Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology. Dr. West-Hyde is survived by her husband, Dallas Hyde, and two sons. Memorials may be made to Oakland Children's Hospital (to benefit Ruby Stone), P.O. Box 2054, Oakland, CA 94604.

Stephen M. Woodard

Dr. Woodard (UP '82), 54, Waterbury Center, Vt., died Jan. 13, 2011. He owned Woodard Veterinary Clinic, a mixed animal practice in Waterbury Center. Dr. Woodard's two sons and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to The Ice Center of Washington West, 546 River Road, Waterbury, VT 05676.

Other deaths in the news...

Walter Beswick

Dr. Beswick (GLA '57), 77, Lisle-sur-Tarn, France, died Feb. 12, 2011. He was president of the British Veterinary Association from 1988-1989 and practiced mixed animal medicine in Glasgow, Scotland, prior to retirement.

 

 

Your assistance is needed

to ensure timely publication of obituaries. Please report the death of a veterinarian promptly to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email; or fax at (847) 925-9329.