March 01, 2011

 

 Obituaries

posted February 18, 2011
 


AVMA Honor Roll Member

AVMA Member

Nonmember


Hugh W. Armstrong

Dr. Armstrong (GA '53), 90, Matthews, N.C., died Jan. 13, 2011. Retired since 2008, he established Monroe Animal Clinic in Monroe, N.C., in 1953, later founding Armstrong Animal Hospital, also in Monroe. During his career, Dr. Armstrong initially practiced mixed animal medicine but since 1971 had focused on small animals. He was a life member of the North Carolina VMA and a member of the North Carolina Academy of Small Animal Medicine. Dr. Armstrong served in the Air Force from 1942-1945. He is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials may be made to The Children's Home Society of North Carolina, P.O. Box 14608, Greensboro, NC 27415; or First Presbyterian Church, 302 E. Windsor St., Monroe, NC 28112.

Ivan R. Edwards

Dr. Edwards (COL '55), 81, Wellington, Nev., died Nov. 25, 2010. Prior to retirement in 1993, he owned a primarily small animal practice in Lake Tahoe, Nev. Dr. Edwards was a board member and volunteer for the Lake Tahoe Humane Society and was active with the Rotary Club. He was a veteran of the Army. Memorials toward the Miki Society for Companion Animal Research may be made to Colorado State University Foundation, P.O. Box 1870, Fort Collins, CO 80522.

Howard E. Gregory

Dr. Gregory (TEX '54), 82, Spotsylvania, Va., died Jan. 2, 2011. From 1978 until retirement in 1992, he owned Chancellor Animal Clinic, a small animal practice in Fredericksburg, Va. Prior to that, Dr. Gregory owned Confederate Ridge Animal Hospital, a mixed animal practice in Fredericksburg. Early in his career, he taught at Auburn University. Dr. Gregory was a past president of the Virginia Board of Veterinary Medicine. Active in civic life, he served on the Fredericksburg City Council for 12 years and was a member of the Jaycees and Kiwanis Club. Dr. Gregory's wife, Sara, and two daughters survive him.

Robert A. Harcus

Dr. Harcus (WSU '51), 90, Kirkland, Wash., died Dec. 22, 2010. Prior to retirement in the mid-1980s, he co-owned North Seattle Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice. Dr. Harcus was an Army veteran of World War II. He is survived by his wife, Bessie; two sons; and a daughter.

Stephen B. Hitchner

Dr. Hitchner (UP '43), 94, Salisbury, Md., died Jan 1, 2011. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Microbiologists and an honorary diplomate of the American College of Poultry Veterinarians, he was professor emeritus of avian diseases at Cornell University since 1981. Following graduation, Dr. Hitchner served in the Army Veterinary Corps for three years, attaining the rank of captain. He then served as an associate professor at Virginia Polytechnic University and later as professor in the Department of Veterinary Science at the University of Massachusetts in Amherst. In 1947, while at the Virginia Agricultural Experiment Station, Dr. Hitchner identified and characterized the low-virulence strain of Newcastle disease, which became known as the Hitchner B1 strain. During his tenure at the University of Massachusetts, he spent four years in research on avian diseases.

From 1953-1960, Dr. Hitchner was research veterinarian with American Scientific Labs in Madison, Wis., where he continued his research on avian diseases and vaccine development. He then helped establish and became co-owner and research director of L&M Laboratories in Berlin, Md. Dr. Hitchner developed and improved vaccines for Newcastle disease, infectious bronchitis, infectious laryngotracheitis, and fowl pox. After L&M Laboratories was subsequently acquired by Abbot Laboratories, he served as group leader in animal disease research. In 1966, Dr. Hitchner became professor and chairman of what was known as the Department of Avian Diseases at the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. His research efforts resulted in the development of several new or improved vaccines, including those against canary pox and Pacheco's herpesvirus. Dr. Hitchner also helped establish a program in companion bird medicine.

A past president of the American Association of Avian Pathologists, he was a member of the Poultry Science Association, World Poultry Science Association, United States Livestock Sanitary Association, and New York Academy of Sciences. Dr. Hitchner received several honors, including the AAAP Special Service Award in 1981 and the first AAAP Bruce Calnek Applied Research Achievement Award in 2004. He is survived by his wife, Mariana; three sons; and a daughter.

Richard D. Howe

Dr. Howe (TEX '49), 82, Hillsboro, Ore., died Nov. 15, 2010. He practiced small animal medicine in Baytown, Texas, for 49 years, prior to retirement in 1998. Dr. Howe was an Army veteran of the Korean War. He retired from the Army Reserve in 1968 with the rank of major. Dr. Howe's wife, Glenda; a daughter; and two sons survive him.

James C. McCrea

Dr. McCrea (MO '50), 87, Platte City, Mo., died Dec. 2, 2010. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned McCrea Veterinary Establishment in Platte City for 56 years. Early in his career, Dr. McCrea practiced in Kansas. He was a member of the Missouri VMA, American Association of Bovine Practitioners, American Association of Equine Practitioners, Platte County Fair Board, and Platte City Lions Club. An avid collector of antique horse-drawn vehicles, Dr. McCrea was also a member of the Kansas City Carriage Club. He served in the Army Air Corps from 1942-1945. Memorials may be made to Alpha Gamma Sigma Foundation Scholarship, 503 E. Nifonz #182, Columbia, MO 65201; or Platte County Historical Society, P.O. Box 103, Platte City, MO 64079.

James G. Paine

Dr. Paine (AUB '61), 78, Strafford, N.H., died Nov. 27, 2010. A mixed animal practitioner, he owned and served as president of Russell Animal Hospital in Concord, N.H. Dr. Paine was a past president of the New Hampshire Board of Veterinary Medicine and New Hampshire VMA and was past New Hampshire Fish and Game commissioner for Merrimack County. He received several honors, including the first Meritorious Service Award of the NHVMA in 1975, the Humanitarian of the Year Award from the Concord Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and the American Animal Hospital Association Region 1 Outstanding Practitioner Award in 1977, and the Granite State Award from the University of New Hampshire in 1979.

Active in civic life, Dr. Paine was a past president of the Concord Rotary Club and Concord Hospital board of trustees, served as a consultant to the New Hampshire Post Secondary Education Commission, and was a member of the New Hampshire Legislative Academy of Science and Technology. He was a veteran of the Air Force, attaining the rank of major. Dr. Paine is survived by his wife, Gertrude, and two sons. One son, Dr. James L. Paine (COR '83), practices at Russell Animal Hospital. Memorials may be made to Wildlife Heritage Foundation of New Hampshire, P.O. Box 3993, Concord, NH 03302; or Payson Center for Cancer Care, c/o Office of Philanthropy, Concord Hospital Trust, 250 Pleasant St., Concord, NH 03301.

James R. Saunders Jr.

Dr. Saunders (TEX '41), 92, San Antonio, died Dec. 11, 2010. From 1953 until retirement in 1991, he owned a primarily small animal practice in San Antonio. Following graduation, Dr. Saunders served as an animal clinic instructor at the Colorado State University College of Veterinary Medicine. He then briefly practiced in Brownfield, Texas. From 1943-1946, Dr. Saunders served with the Navy Hospital Corps in San Diego. On discharge from the Navy, he received a commission in the Army Reserve Veterinary Corps. From 1947-1950, Dr. Saunders practiced large animal medicine in Texas at Taylor and San Saba. He next served as professor of surgery at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine before moving to San Antonio.

Dr. Saunders was past chairman of the AVMA Judicial Council, served as Texas' delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1960-1964, and was a past member of the AVMA Council on Biologic and Therapeutic Agents. He was a past president of the Bexar County VMA and past vice president of the Texas VMA. Dr. Saunders' wife, Velma; five sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Central Christian Church, 720 N. Main Ave., San Antonio, TX 78205; San Antonio Humane Society, 4804 Fredericksburg Road, San Antonio, TX 78229; or Animal Defense League of Texas, 11300 Nacogdoches Road, San Antonio, TX 78217.

Kenneth A. Schulte

Dr. Schulte (MIN '66), 69, Milbank, S.D., died Dec. 25, 2010. He owned Dairy Production Services, a nutrition-based dairy management company, since 1997. Following graduation, Dr. Schulte practiced mixed animal medicine in Dickinson, N.D., and Pierz, Minn., before buying Arlington Veterinary Clinic, a mixed animal practice in Arlington, Minn., in 1967. In 1973, Dr. Schulte moved to Milbank to join Milbank Veterinary Clinic, where he continued to practice mixed animal medicine. During his career, he also served on the Monsanto Dairy Advisory Board, South Dakota Emergency Disaster Task Force, and Novus Dairy Strategic Advisory Panel.

Dr. Schulte was a past president of the South Dakota VMA and was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1995. He is survived by his wife, Janet, and three sons. Memorials may be made to Living Word Lutheran Church, P.O. Box 301, Milbank, SD 57252; or Watertown Christian School, 15 Twelfth Aven. N.E., Watertown, SD 57201.

 

Your assistance is needed

to ensure timely publication of obituaries. Please report the death of a veterinarian promptly to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; email; or fax at (847) 925-9329.