posted October 1, 2010
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Wenzel E. Armstrong
Dr. Armstrong (MIN '58), 79, Sandpoint, Idaho, died July 22, 2010. He practiced mixed animal medicine in Fergus Falls, Minn., for 24 years. Early in his career, Dr. Armstrong practiced briefly in Bangor, Maine. He served as an aerial photographer in the Navy from 1948-1952. Dr. Armstrong is survived by his wife, Carole; three sons; and two daughters.
David T. Berman
Dr. Berman (COR '44), 90, Madison, Wis., died July 8, 2010. Retired since 1987, he was professor emeritus of veterinary science and bacteriology at the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Dr. Berman began his career at the university in 1951. During his tenure, he served as chairman of the Department of Veterinary Science from 1964-1968 and was associate dean of the graduate school from 1969-1976.
Known for his research and expertise in brucellosis, Dr. Berman served as an expert consultant on the disease for the World Health Organization and the United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. He contributed to the epidemiologic capabilities of the Department of Agriculture's Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service, serving as adviser to several APHIS employees detailed to the University of Wisconsin for training in epidemiology of brucellosis and tuberculosis. In 1976, Dr. Berman was elected to serve as chairman of the Brucellosis Technical Commission, a group of nationally recognized experts in the fields of agricultural economics, veterinary medicine, and public health.
The commission and Dr. Berman received the Animal Health Award in 1980 from APHIS, the United States Animal Health Association, and the Association of State and Federal Veterinarians for their contributions to the brucellosis eradication program. Dr. Berman also received the 1990 Animal Health Award from the USDA for leadership in advancing state and national animal health programs. In 2009, the International Veterinary Vaccines and Diagnostics Conference recognized him for his contributions as chairman of the Department of Veterinary Science and associate dean of the graduate school at Wisconsin-Madison.
Dr. Berman is survived by his wife, Rhoda; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the University of Wisconsin Foundation, U.S. Bank Lockbox, Box 78807, Milwaukee, WI 53278; or the University of Wisconsin School of Veterinary Medicine, 2015 Linden Drive, Madison, WI 53706.
Frank D. Boone
Dr. Boone (GA '69), 66, Kennesaw, Ga., died May 26, 2010. A small animal practitioner, he established North Cobb Animal Clinic in Kennesaw in 1969. Dr. Boone served on the board of the Cobb Emergency Veterinary Clinic and was a member of the Georgia and Cobb County VMAs and the Humane Society of Cobb County. Active in civic life, he served on the Kennesaw City Council in the 1970s, chaired the Downtown Development Authority, and was a founder of the Kennesaw Business Association in 1975. Since 1990, Dr. Boone served on the board of the Cobb Energy Management Corporation. In 2008, the city recognized his service and contributions by dedicating the Swift-Cantrell Dog Park in his name. Dr. Boone's wife, Barbara; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Humane Society of Cobb County, 148 Fairground Street S.E., Marietta, GA 30060.
Sterling C. Corley
Dr. Corley (COL '63), 71, Riverside, Calif., died June 5, 2010. He owned Pedley Veterinary Hospital in Pedley, Calif. Earlier in his career, Dr. Corley worked for the state of California. He is survived by his wife, Jennifer, and three daughters.
James C. Davis
Dr. Davis (KSU '64), 79, Glendale, Calif., died June 8, 2010. A small animal practitioner, he owned Davis Animal Hospital in North Hollywood, Calif., prior to retirement in 2000. Dr. Davis was a Navy veteran of the Korean War. His wife, Ginger, and four daughters survive him.
Frederick A. Erb
Dr. Erb (COR '44), 87, Landaff, N.H., died June 29, 2010. Prior to retirement, he owned a small animal practice and a Holstein dairy farm in Landaff. Early in his career, Dr. Erb owned a practice in North Haverhill, N.H. A past president of the New England VMA, he served on the New Hampshire Board of Veterinary Medicine. Active in civic life, Dr. Erb was a member of the Landaff School Board. His two sons and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Susan G. Komen for the Cure, Attn: Donor Services, P.O. Box 650309, Dallas, TX 75265.
Edward S. Ford Jr.
Dr. Ford (AUB '58), 80, Cynthiana, Ky., died July 2, 2010. He founded Harrison Veterinary Medical Center in Cynthiana, where he practiced equine and large animal medicine for 25 years. Later in his career, Dr. Ford served as executive director of the Grayson-Jockey Club Research Foundation. He was a member of the Kentucky Senate from 1978-1994, after which he joined Gov. Paul Patton's administration, eventually serving as secretary of the executive cabinet.
Dr. Ford was a member of the Kentucky VMA. He was named Kentucky Veterinarian of the Year in 1979 and received the KVMA Distinguished Service Award in 1992. In 2002, Dr. Ford was the recipient of the Auburn University Wilford S. Bailey Distinguished Alumni Award.
Active in civic life, he chaired the Cynthiana-Harrison County Economic Development Authority and served on the Southern Regional Education Board and the Farmers National Bank Board in Cynthiana. Dr. Ford was a Navy veteran of the Korean War, earning five Battle Stars and the Korean Presidential Unit Citation. He was a life member of the American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, and Disabled American Veterans.
Dr. Ford's daughter; three sons; and two stepsons survive him. Memorials may be made to Hospice of the Bluegrass, 1317 U.S. Highway 62 E., Cynthiana, KY 41031; Cynthiana Christian Church, P.O. Box 236, Cynthiana, KY 41031; or Indian Creek Christian Church, 51 Waits Lane, Cynthiana, KY 41031.
Kathryn D. Gilpatric
Dr. Gilpatric (TEX '01), 37, Knoxville, Tenn., died April 16, 2010. A small animal practitioner, she worked at the Cat Clinic in Knoxville. Dr. Gilpatric is survived by her husband, Scott, and a son.
John G. Golden
Dr. Golden (TEX '69), 63, San Antonio, died June 26, 2010. A retired Air Force colonel and a diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, he served as director of the Veterinary Sciences Department in the Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine at Brooks Air Force Base in San Antonio from 1988 until retirement in 1999. As director, Dr. Golden ensured that all the biomedical research programs involving animals were humane and that the animals received the best possible care. Earlier in his career with the Air Force Veterinary Corps, he was assigned to the Kincheloe AFB in Michigan; Hahn AFB in Germany; Air Force Institute of Technology; and Armstrong Aeromedical Research Laboratory at Wright-Patterson AFB in Ohio. In retirement, Dr. Golden directed the Palo Alto Veterinary Technology Department for two years, also serving as an adjunct veterinary instructor.
In 1994, he received the Outstanding Alumnus Award for Government Research from the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences. Dr. Golden is survived by his wife, Beverly; a son; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to The Fellowship of San Antonio, 23755 Canyon Golf Road, San Antonio, TX 78258.
Charles C. Harris
Dr. Harris (GA '69), 69, Roanoke, Va., died July 27, 2010. He owned a small animal practice in Roanoke. Dr. Harris was a past president of the Virginia VMA and was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1995. His wife, Evelyn, and three children survive him.
William R. Losch
Dr. Losch (IL '61), 74, Gerrardstown, W.Va., died Sept. 1, 2010. A small animal practitioner, he co-established with his then wife, Dr. Marjorie E. Losch (IL '61), a practice in Baraboo, Wis., following graduation. Dr. Losch later established another practice in Milwaukee. He also farmed, served as a veterinary nutrition consultant, and was a meat inspector for the Department of Agriculture. Active in civic life, Dr. Losch served on the Baraboo School Board from 1967-1979. His four daughters, a stepson, and a stepdaughter survive him.
Boyd C. Martin
Dr. Martin (KSU '59), 85, Bountiful, Utah, died June 19, 2010. He established Bountiful Small Animal Hospital in 1961, practicing there until retirement in 1989. Dr. Martin was a Navy veteran of World War II. Active in civic life, he was a past president of the Bountiful Lions Club. Dr. Martin is survived by two sons and two daughters.
Paul E. Miller
Dr. Miller (CAL '71), 64, Weed, Calif., died Aug. 13, 2010. He practiced large animal medicine in California's Siskiyou County following graduation, later establishing an equine practice in Weed. The University of California-Davis Veterinary Medical Teaching Hospital declared Aug. 12, 2010, as Dr. Paul Miller Day in recognition of his service and commitment to the horses and horse owners of northern California. Dr. Miller is survived by a stepson and stepdaughter. Memorials may be made to the University of California-Davis Foundation, School of Veterinary Medicine, Office of the Dean-Development, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616.
Earl W. Moore
Dr. Moore (WSU '51), 88, Richland, Wash., died July 18, 2010. He founded Richland Animal Hospital in 1953, practicing there until retirement in 1990. Dr. Moore was a Navy veteran of World War II. His wife, Jean; a daughter; and five sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Beverly Jewell Memorial Foundation, P.O. Box 1508, Richland, WA 99352.
John V. Wand
Dr. Wand (ISU '45), 84, Eagan, Minn., died April 10, 2010. Prior to retirement in the mid-1980s, he co-owned a large animal practice in Jefferson, Iowa. Dr. Wand is survived by four sons and a daughter.
William H. Wright
Dr. Wright (UP '39), 95, Chesapeake City, Md., died July 10, 2010. A longtime equine practitioner in the mid-Atlantic area, he served as a racetrack veterinarian in New York prior to moving to Maryland in 1962. During his career, Dr. Wright also owned, trained, and raced Thoroughbreds. His wife, Lana; two daughters; and two sons survive him.