Tony Barcelona Jr.
Dr. Barcelona (TEX '46), 84, Bryan, Texas, died May 11, 2010. He practiced mixed animal medicine in League City, Texas, for more than 30 years prior to retirement. Dr. Barcelona also served as veterinarian and lifetime director for the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. In retirement, he was a relief veterinarian. Dr. Barcelona's wife, Rosa Lee; three sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Hospice Brazos Valley, 502 W. 26th St., Bryan, TX 77803; or National Kidney Foundation, 2400 Augusta Drive, Suite 252, Houston, TX 77057.
Hugh E. Binks
Dr. Binks (ONT '49), 87, Topsham, Maine, died May 29, 2010. Prior to retirement, he served as deputy secretary of the Maryland Department of Agriculture. Following graduation, Dr. Binks established a farm practice in Anderson County, Ky. In 1963, he joined the University of Maryland, where he served as Maryland state veterinarian for several years. Dr. Binks authored "Animal Health Programs in Maryland 1880-1986." He was a Royal Canadian Air Force veteran of World War II. Dr. Binks is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, 1931 N. Meacham Road, Schaumburg, IL 60173.
John W. Evans Jr.
Dr. Evans (AUB '41), 91, Nashville, Tenn., died April 16, 2010. A small animal practitioner, he owned Donelson Animal Hospital in Nashville for 55 years. Dr. Evans was a member of the Tennessee VMA, receiving the Distinguished Service Award in 1985 and Lifetime Achievement Award in 1999. His wife, Frances, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Mount Sharon Cumberland Presbyterian Church, 4634 Mount Sharon Road, Greenbrier, TN 37073.
Thayer D. Hendrickson
Dr. Hendrickson (TEX '46), 96, Greenbrier, Ark., died April 5, 2010. Vice president of the AVMA from 1981-1983, he founded Bellevue Animal Clinic in Little Rock, Ark., in 1947, and Faulkner County Veterinary Clinic in Greenbrier, Ark., in 1973, retiring from the latter in 1987. Dr. Hendrickson took a sabbatical from his practice from 1967-1968 to teach as a small animal clinician at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Following graduation, Dr. Hendrickson served as a meat inspector for the city of Little Rock for a year.
He was past president of the Arkansas VMA and past secretary-treasurer of the Arkansas Veterinary Medical Examining Board and served as Arkansas' delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1978-1982. In 1961, Dr. Hendrickson was named Arkansas Veterinarian of the Year and in 1985 he received the Arkansas VMA Distinguished Service Award. He was a veteran of the Army and a member of the Rotary and Kiwanis clubs. Dr. Hendrickson is survived by a daughter. Memorials may be made to Greenbrier United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 126, Greenbriar, AR 72058.
M. Herbert Jones
Dr. Jones (COR '51), 83, South Dayton, N.Y., died May 23, 2010. Prior to retirement in 1990, he owned a mixed animal practice in South Dayton for almost 40 years. Dr. Jones was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, New York State VMS, Western New York VMA, and Lancaster Moose Club. A Navy veteran of World War II, he was also a member of the American Legion. Dr. Jones' wife, June; two daughters; and a son survive him.
William W. Leatherwood
Dr. Leatherwood (OKL '57), 77, Salisbury, Mo., died May 10, 2010. He owned Agri-Service Enterprises, a large animal hospital in Salisbury, prior to retirement in 1994. During that time, Dr. Leatherwood introduced artificial insemination technology for cattle to the area. He also served as Chariton County coroner for 20 years.
A charter member of the Missouri Veterinary Medical Board, Dr. Leatherwood was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners and American Association of Swine Veterinarians. He helped establish the American Society of Agricultural Consultants, serving as secretary-treasurer from 1964-1967 and as executive director until 1975. Dr. Leatherwood was a 50-year member of the Missouri VMA, serving on its Legislative, Swine Disease, and Beef Disease committees. He was also a member of the North Central and Intermountain VMAs. Dr. Leatherwood served as chair of the annual Salisbury Horse Show for several years.
Active in civic life, he was past president of the Salisbury Kiwanis Club and past chair of the Salisbury Boy Scout Troop Committee. Dr. Leatherwood is survived by his wife, Bette; three sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church, 225 E. Arrow, Marshall, MO 65340; or Shriners Hospitals for Children, 2900 Rocky Point Drive, Tampa, FL 33607.
Ralph C. Mobley
Dr. Mobley (GA '50), 84, Madison, Tenn., died April 16, 2010. In 1952, he established a veterinary clinic in Nashville, where he practiced until 1985. Dr. Mobley was instrumental in establishing the annual rabies vaccination clinics in Davidson County . He was past secretary of the Tennessee Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners, past president of the Davidson County Academy of Veterinary Medicine and Middle Tennessee VMA, and past chair of the Tennessee VMA Ethics Committee. In 1970, Dr. Mobley was named Tennessee Veterinarian of the Year. He received the TVMA Career Award in 1980. A veteran of World War II, Dr. Mobley served in the Marines. He was a member of the Madison Kiwanis and was named Kiwanian of the Year in 1967. Dr. Mobley is survived by a son and a daughter. His son, Dr. Summerfield Q. Mobley (AUB '78), is a small animal practitioner in Nashville. Memorials may be made to Madison King's Child Enrichment Center, 590 N. DuPont Ave., Madison, TN 37115.
Dr. Stern (MSU '49), 91, New York, died April 30, 2010. Prior to retirement in the late 1990s, he owned a small animal practice in New York City. Dr. Stern was a member of the New York State VMS and a past board member of the VMA of New York City. He was also a charter member of the Metropolitan Veterinary Practitioners Society, an affiliate member of the American Animal Hospital Association, and a member of the American Veterinarians for Israel. Dr. Stern's daughter survives him.
Dr. Sussman (MSU '40), 92, Chapel Hill, N.C., died March 25, 2010. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine and a past vice president of the AVMA, he retired in 1978 as director of consumer health services for the state of New Jersey. Dr. Sussman began his career as a livestock inspector with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. From 1941-1946, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of major. In 1947, Dr. Sussman was commissioned into the U.S. Public Health Service Commissioned Corps and worked with the Arizona State Department of Health. He completed his service as a colonel.
Dr. Sussman joined the New Jersey State Department of Health in 1949 as chief of the Veterinary Public Health Program. In 1970, he was named assistant to the state commissioner of health and, in 1971, he became director of consumer health services. During his service with the state of New Jersey, Dr. Sussman also practiced part time at the small animal practice he owned in Princeton, N.J., and served as a professor of biology at Westminster Choir College. He conducted research on the epidemiology of arboviruses in the 1950s, '60s, and '70s. In 1962, Dr. Sussman accepted a senior Fulbright Professorship at the High Institute of Public Health in Alexandria, Egypt, and, in 1966, he served as a consultant to the World Health Organization in Brazil. In retirement, he filled in for professors on sabbatical at Colorado State University and The Florida State University.
Dr. Sussman was a past president of the New Jersey VMA, New Jersey Public Health Association, and Conference of Public Health Veterinarians. He was also a past member of the Governing Council of the American Public Health Association. An early advocate of one-health principles, Dr. Sussman served as vice chair of the Committee on Diseases of Birds Transmissible to Man at the 18th World Veterinary Congress in Paris in 1967. He received several honors, including recognition for outstanding achievement in public health from the Communicable Disease Center of the U.S. Public Health Service and the CPHV in 1964, the Humanitarian-Scientist Award from five New Jersey medical and health organizations in 1968, the Dr. Karl F. Meyer Gold Head Cane Award for meritorious service from the CPHV in 1969, and the Award of Merit from the New Jersey Professional Health Officers Society in 1972.
Dr. Sussman is survived by two daughters and a son. Memorials toward the staff development fund may be made to the Carol Woods Retirement Community, 750 Weaver Dairy Road, Chapel Hill, NC 27514.
Kimberly L. Townsend
Dr. Townsend (NCU '85), 51, Lincolnton, N.C., died March 7, 2010. She was a veterinary diagnostician for the North Carolina Department of Agriculture in Elkin, N.C. Earlier in her career, Dr. Townsend worked in the veterinary pharmaceutical industry in Greensboro, N.C. She is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 22718, Oklahoma City, OK 73123; or Mountain Valley Hospice and Palliative Care, 401 Technology Lane, Suite 200, Mount Airy, NC 27030.
Lory T. Walker
Dr. Walker (COL '55), 88, Phoenix, died June 9, 2010. Retired since 1990, he owned an equine practice that he established in the mid-1960s in Phoenix. Dr. Walker began his career in mixed animal practice in Safford, Ariz. In 1957, he began practicing equine medicine in Raton, N.M., moving that same year to Phoenix. where he co-established an equine practice. Dr. Walker was a Navy veteran of World War II. He is survived by his wife, Mary Dorcas; two daughters; and two sons. Memorials may be made to Hospice of the Valley, 1510 E. Flower St., Phoenix, AZ 85014.
Richard S. Webster
Dr. Webster (MSU '59), 75, Harvard, Ill., died May 24, 2010. From 1961 until retirement in 1989, he owned Des Plaines Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Des Plaines, Ill. Prior to that, Dr. Webster practiced at North Shore Veterinary Hospital in Evanston, Ill., for two years. He was a past president of the Illinois State and Chicago VMAs and a past member of the Illinois Veterinary Licensing and Disciplinary Board. In 1980, Dr. Webster received the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Association Service Award, given to a nonalumnus for devotion to the veterinary profession and contributions to the development of the college. He also received the ISVMA Service Award in 1985. Dr. Webster was active with the Boy Scouts, a member of the Evanston Lions Club and Des Plaines Chamber of Commerce, and a volunteer for Hospice of Northeastern Illinois. He is survived by his wife, Katherine; a son; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Hospice & Palliative Care of Northeastern Illinois, 410 S. Hager Ave., Barrington, IL 60010.
Paul A. Wesen
Dr. Wesen (WSU '52), 88, Federal Way, Wash., died May 25, 2010. A small animal practitioner, he owned Animal Center in Riverton Heights, Wash., prior to retirement. Earlier in his career, Dr. Wesen owned a mixed animal practice in Fall City, Wash. He was a member of the Washington State VMA and King County VA. A veteran of World War II, Dr. Wesen served in the Air Force. He is survived by a daughter and two sons. One son, Dr. Philip D. Wesen (WSU '85), is a small animal practitioner in Las Vegas. Memorials may be made to the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Pullman, WA 99164; or Grace Lutheran Church, 22975 24th Ave. S., Des Moines, WA 98198.
Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF, Department 20-1122, P.O. Box 5940, Carol Stream, IL 60197-5940 www.avmf.org
Your assistance is needed
to ensure timely publication of obituaries. Please report the death of a colleague or relative promptly to the AVMA News Staff via a toll-free phone call at (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6754; e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
; or fax at (847) 925-9329.
Correction: The online version above contains a correction in red text above.