Posted April 1, 2009
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Burleigh P. Anderson
Dr. Anderson (UP ’57), 76, Landisburg, Pa., died Dec. 24, 2008. He was the founder of Tri-County Veterinary Service in Loysville, Pa. Dr. Anderson was a member of the Pennsylvania VMA and a veteran of the Army. His wife, Joan; a son; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Perry County Food Bank, 18 W. McClure St., New Bloomfield, PA 17068.
Howard L. Corley
Dr. Corley (TEX ’71), 61, Houston, died Dec. 13, 2008. He practiced at Veterans Memorial Drive Animal Hospital in Houston. Dr. Corley is survived by his wife, Glenda; a daughter; and a son. Memorials may be made to Champion Forest Baptist Church Choir Ministry, 15555 Stuebner Airline Road, Houston, TX 77609.
Thomas J. Crispell
Dr. Crispell (KSU ’52), 79, Parsons, Kan., died Sept. 14, 2008. His wife, Laurilla; two daughters; and four stepsons survive him.
James O. Foss
Dr. Foss (ISU ’40), 94, Minot, N.D., died Nov. 28, 2008. He established Minot Veterinary Clinic in 1951, practicing there until retirement in 1979. Earlier in his career, Dr. Foss practiced small animal medicine in Miami and served as a professor at North Dakota State University in Fargo. He also served as veterinarian for the Minot Park Zoo for several years.
A life member and past president of the North Dakota VMA, Dr. Foss was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1978. He was past president of the Kiwanis Club of Greater Minot. Dr. Foss’ two daughters and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to First Lutheran Church, 120 5th Ave. N.W., Minot, ND 58703; or Minot Park District Foundation, 420 3rd Ave. S.W., Minot, ND 58701.
Robert E. Harris
Dr. Harris (CAL ’53), 85, Vacaville, Calif., died Feb. 3, 2009. Prior to retirement in 1993, he owned a small animal practice in Torrance, Calif. In retirement, Dr. Harris was a cattle rancher. A World War II veteran, he served in the Navy. Dr. Harris’ wife, Mary; three sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials to support studies benefiting large animals may be made to the University of California Regents, School of Veterinary Medicine, Office of Development, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616.
Raymond E. Larson
Dr. Larson (UP ’38), 93, Deep River, Conn., died Feb. 12, 2009. Prior to retirement, he owned Hartford Veterinary Hospital, a practice he founded in 1940 in Newington, Conn. Earlier, Dr. Larson worked at Towson Veterinary Hospital in Towson, Md. During World War II, he served with the Army as base veterinarian at Bradley Field in Windsor, Conn., and Chatham Field in Savannah, Ga. Dr. Larson was a life member of the Connecticut VMA. His daughter survives him. Memorials in his memory may be made to Saddlebred Rescue, 4 Westview Drive, Blairstown, NJ 07825.
Spencer H. Morrison
Dr. Morrison (GA ’54), 89, Wiarton, Ontario, Canada, died Dec. 30, 2008. He is survived by three sons and a daughter. Memorials to the Canadian Cancer Society or Grey Bruce Health Centre Foundation may be made c/o Thomas C. Whitcroft Funeral Home & Chapel, 814 Bruce Road 8, Sauble Beach, Ontario, Canada N0H 2G0.
Dr. Mortenson (ISU ’59), 82, North Logan, Utah, died Sept. 11, 2008. Prior to retirement, he owned University Veterinary Clinic, a mixed animal practice in Provo, Utah. Earlier in his career, Dr. Mortenson owned The Bear River Animal Hospital in Tremonton, Utah, and taught in the Department of Animal Science at Brigham Young University. He was a Navy veteran of World War II. Dr. Mortenson’s son and daughter survive him.
Eugene J. Pope
Dr. Pope (AUB ’43), 88, Sun City Center, Fla., died Aug. 18, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1990, he owned Carpenter Pope Veterinary Hospital in Norfolk, Va. Early in his career, Dr. Pope served as veterinarian for the city of Norfolk. A World War II veteran, he was a first lieutenant in the Army Veterinary Corps. Dr. Pope’s wife, Jessie, and two sons survive him. His nephew and great-niece, Drs. William M. Pope Jr. (GA ’72) and Constance D. Capps (VMR ’92), are veterinarians in Norfolk.
Joyce M. Robinson
Dr. Robinson (TEX ’96), 57, Barry, Texas, died Dec. 22, 2008. She owned Country Garden Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice in Dresden, Texas. Dr. Robinson is survived by her husband, Lew; five sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 1301 S. Broadway, Tyler, TX 75701.
John J. Rogers
Dr. Rogers (ISU ’51), 92, East Troy, Wis., died Nov. 3, 2008. In 1951, he established East Troy Veterinary Clinic, practicing there until retirement in 2005. A member of the Wisconsin VMA, Dr. Rogers was a recipient of its 50-Year Award in 2002. He served as a captain during World War II in the Army Air Force. Dr. Rogers received a Distinguished Flying Cross, Asia-Pacific Theater Ribbon, two Bronze Stars, and Air Medal with Oak Cluster. Active in civic life, he served on the board of directors of the East Troy Community Schools. Dr. Rogers’ wife, Alice, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the East Troy Bible Church, 2660 North St., P.O. Box 376, East Troy, WI 53120.
Robert G. Rolofson
Dr. Rolofson (COL ’54), 80, Colorado Springs, Colo., died Feb. 14, 2009. He practiced mixed animal medicine in Colorado Springs for 48 years. Dr. Rolofson also owned Oak Grove Ranch in Teller County, where he raised Hereford and Angus cattle and Thoroughbred and Warmblood horses, and served as track veterinarian for the Colorado Racing Commission for more than 20 years.
A past president of the Colorado VMA, Dr. Rolofson served on the AVMA Council on Veterinary Service from 1984-1990. He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and a past president of the Pikes Peak Range Riders. In civic life, Dr. Rolofson served on the El Paso County Advisory Board for Penrose Stadium and Equestrian Center. He was a veteran of the Army and served in the Pacific Theatre for two years. Dr. Rolofson is survived by his wife, Marissa; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Pikes Peak Range Riders, 13710 Hallelujah Trail, Elbert, CO 80106; or Morris Animal Foundation, 10200 E. Girard Ave., Suite B430, Denver, CO 80231.
William L. Stabler
Dr. Stabler (AUB ’46), 84, Houston, Miss., died Dec. 4, 2008. He owned Stabler Veterinary Hospital in Houston since 1950. Following graduation, Dr. Stabler practiced in Greensboro, Ala. He then served with the Department of Agriculture’s foot-and-mouth disease eradication program in Mexico. A member of the Mississippi VMA, Dr. Stabler was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1997. He was a past president of the Mississippi Horse Council, helped establish the Sheriff’s Mounted Posse in the early 1970s, and served on the board of the National Spanish Mustang Association. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 123, Houston, MS 38851.
John J. Wright
Dr. Wright (COR ’73), 64, Phelps, N.Y., died Jan. 30, 2009. He owned Phelps Veterinary Hospital. Early in his career, Dr. Wright practiced at the Cheshire Veterinary Hospital in Cheshire, Conn. He was a member of the New York State VMS and a past president of the Finger Lakes VMA. Dr. Wright’s wife, Janice, and two sons survive him. His daughter-in-law, Dr. Lynda L. Wright (IL ’97), is a veterinarian in Phelps. Memorials may be made to the Rainbow Project, Clifton Springs United Methodist Church, 13 Pleasant St., Clifton Springs, NY 14432.