Posted Jan. 15, 2009
AVMA Honor Roll Member
David L. Brown Jr.
Dr. Brown (GA ’55), 77, Lake City, S.C., died Sept. 6, 2008. He owned Brown Animal Hospital in Lake City for 49 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Brown practiced in Florence, S.C., and served in the Air Force Veterinary Corps. He was a member of the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians and the Lake City Rotary Club. Dr. Brown is survived by his wife, Kathryn, and two daughters. One daughter, Dr. Karole B. Parker (GA ’88), now owns Brown Animal Hospital.
James T. Brown
Dr. Brown (KSU ’52), 83, Kingsland, Texas, died Sept. 24, 2008. A two-term vice president of the AVMA from 1969-1971, he owned Brykerwood Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice in Austin, Texas, prior to retirement. Following graduation, Dr. Brown practiced in Stafford, Kan. He then owned a large animal practice in Huron, S.D.
Dr. Brown served as South Dakota’s delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1964-1967. In 1965, he was appointed to the South Dakota State Fair Board. Dr. Brown served as president of the SDVMA from 1968-1969 and received the association’s Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1971. His wife, Pat, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Llano Memorial Hospice, 1100 Ford St., Llano, TX 78643.
Kenneth R. Burritt
Dr. Burritt (COL ’51), 83, Butte, Mont., died Nov. 26, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1987, he practiced in the Butte and Anaconda areas of Montana for more than 35 years. Earlier, Dr. Burritt owned a practice in Vernal, Utah. During his career, he also served as an inspector and veterinarian for the Montana stockyards and rodeo grounds. Dr. Burritt was active with the Rotary Club. His wife, Lue; a daughter; and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Easter Seals Highlands Hospice, 3703 Harrison Ave., Butte, MT 59701; Bagdad Shrine Temple, Children’s Transportation Fund, 314 W. Park St., Butte, MT 59701; or Butte Animal Shelter, 699 Centennial, Butte, MT 59701.
William C. Carter
Dr. Carter (OKL ’51), 88, Mercerville, N.J., died June 11, 2008. During his career, he worked for the New Jersey Department of Health and owned a practice in Mercerville. Dr. Carter was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine. His wife, Mildred; four sons; and a daughter survive him. Two sons, Drs. William J. Carter (OSU ’77) and Patrick M. Carter (KSU ’82), are veterinarians in Mercerville and Spokane, Wash., respectively. Dr. Carter’s grandson and granddaughter-in-law, Drs. William V. Carter (OKL ’06) and Katina M. Carter (OKL ’06) are also veterinarians in New Jersey.
Lawrence G. Clark
Dr. Clark (IL ’57), 77, Rockford, Ill., died Oct. 7, 2008. Prior to retirement, he worked for the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Cocoa, Fla. Following graduation, Dr. Clark worked for the USDA in Puerto Rico, Haiti, and Florida. He then served as a professor at the University of Pennsylvania’s New Bolton Center. Dr. Clark next traveled to Nicaragua, where he conducted research on leptospirosis. On his return and prior to rejoining the USDA, he practiced in suburban Chicago.
During retirement, Dr. Clark owned a house call veterinary practice in Cocoa. His wife, Leslie; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Christian Veterinary Mission, 19303 Fremont Ave. N., Seattle, WA 98133.
Michael E. Diesen
Dr. Diesen (OKL ’79), 61, Highland, Ill., died Oct. 15, 2008. He owned Highland Animal Hospital. Earlier in his career, Dr. Diesen practiced in Greenville, Ill., for several years. He was a member of the Illinois State VMA and a veteran of the Army. Dr. Diesen is survived by his wife, Dolores; a son; and a daughter. His daughter, Dr. Michelle A. Leckrone (IL ’03), is a veterinarian in Highland. Memorials may be made to the Polycystic Kidney Foundation, 9221 Ward Parkway, Suite 400, Kansas City, MO 64114; or Ducks Unlimited Inc., One Waterfowl Way, Memphis, TN 38120.
Fernley W. Duey
Dr. Duey (WSU ’39), 93, Bakersfield, Calif., died Nov. 12, 2008. During his career, he owned a practice in Bellevue, Wash. A veteran of World War II, Dr. Duey served in the Army, attaining the rank of lieutenant colonel. Active in civic life, he served on the Bellevue School Board for more than 20 years. He was also a 50-year member of the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce and Lions Club. Dr. Duey’s son and daughter survive him.
Fred E. Endres
Dr. Endres (MSU ’55), 83, Ionia, Mich., died Oct. 28, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1992, he worked for the Michigan Department of Agriculture. Earlier in his career, Dr. Endres served as an epidemiologist with the U.S. Department of Agriculture. He was a member of the Michigan and Western Michigan VMAs. Dr. Endres served in the Army during World War II, attaining the rank of sergeant. His wife, Kathy; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice of Michigan, 1260 Ekhart, N.E., Grand Rapids, MI 49503; or Ionia County Commission on Aging, 115 Hudson St., Ionia, MI 48846.
Henry L. Foster
Dr. Foster (MID ’46), 83, Boston, died Oct. 14, 2008. A diplomate and past president of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine, he was the founder and chairman emeritus of Charles River Laboratories in Wilmington, Mass. Dr. Foster began his career as a senior veterinarian with the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Administration in the United States and Poland. In 1947, he established CRL, where he first served as president, and, later, as chief executive officer and chairman.
Dr. Foster was known for his efforts to improve the care and quality of animals used in biologic and medical research. He refined the techniques of cesarean derivation, isolation maintenance, and reintroduction of a beneficial flora, leading to the production of barrier-reared, pathogen-free laboratory rodents. Dr. Foster designed barrier production buildings and autoclaves for processing animal food and bedding. He promoted the use of showers for personnel entering animal care facilities and the requirement for protective surgical clothing.
Dr. Foster helped establish the Tufts University Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, where the small animal hospital was named the Henry and Lois Foster Hospital for Small Animals. He also endowed the Henry and Lois Foster Biomedical Research Laboratories at Brandeis University, where he served as chair of the board of trustees. Past secretary of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Sciences and past president of the Laboratory Animal Breeders Association, Dr. Foster was a member of the American Society of Laboratory Animal Practitioners, Association for Gnotobiotics, International Council for Laboratory Animal Science, and Massachusetts VMA.
He was also director emeritus of the Massachusetts Society for Medical Research, served on the board of governors of the Foundation for Biomedical Research, and was a trustee of Tufts University. Dr. Foster received several honors, including honorary doctoral degrees from Brandeis University and Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine; the AALAS Charles A. Griffin Award in 1976; and the ACLAM Nathan R. Brewer Lifetime Achievement Award in 2007. An avid supporter of the arts, he chaired the board of trustees of the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston, where he endowed contemporary arts exhibitions and the purchase of artwork.
Dr. Foster is survived by his wife, Lois, and three sons. Memorials may be made to the Tufts Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine, c/o Shelley Rodman, 200 Westboro Road, North Grafton, MA 01536.
Dean R. Gross
Dr. Gross (KSU ’44), 87, Springfield, Ill., died Nov. 28, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1984, he was a partner at Lincoln Land Animal Clinic in Jacksonville, Ill. Dr. Gross began his career as a partner at the Gross Animal Clinic in Jacksonville. From 1952-1954, he served as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps. His three daughters survive him. Dr. Gross’ brothers, Drs. William C. Gross (KSU ’50) and Robert U. Gross (KSU ’54), are veterinarians in Jacksonville, Ill. Memorials may be made to the Morgan County Animal Shelter, 202 W. Oak St., Jacksonville, IL 62650.
William C. Hall
Dr. Hall (KSU ’44), 85, Coffeyville, Kan., died Oct. 25, 2008. A cattle rancher in Coffeyville since 1978, he owned a practice in Elburn, Ill., for 34 years. Dr. Hall was a member of the Illinois State VMA. His wife, Helen, and three sons survive him. One son, Dr. James B. Hall (KSU ’83), is a veterinarian in Kansas City, Kan. Memorials may be made to the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, KS 66506.
Walter J. Mackey
Dr. Mackey (MIN ’51), 84, Roseville, Minn., died Oct. 19, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1992, he served as assistant veterinarian for the Minnesota Board of Animal Health. Following graduation, Dr. Mackey practiced in Blooming Prairie, Minn. He then owned a practice in Hayfield, Minn., for 13 years. Dr. Mackey went on to direct the Research Animal Division of the University of Minnesota, and, later, taught anatomy at the College of Veterinary Medicine.
A life member and past president of the Minnesota VMA, he helped establish the Minnesota Veterinary Historical Museum. In 1994, Dr. Mackey received the MVMA Distinguished Service Award. He was named one of the MVMA’s Veterinarians of the Year in 2006. Dr. Mackey was a Navy veteran of World War II. His wife, Phyllis; two sons; and two daughters survive him.
Memorials may be made to Corpus Christi Catholic Church, 2131 N. Fairview Ave., Roseville, MN 55113; Macular Degeneration Research, American Health Assistance Foundation, 22512 Gateway Center Drive, Clarksburg, MD 20871; or Minnesota Veterinary Historical Museum, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Minnesota, 1365 Gortner Ave., Room 143, Animal Science, Saint Paul, MN 55108.
Stephen P. Maxwell
Dr. Maxwell (GA ’78), 57, Prince George, Va., died July 3, 2008. He owned Hopewell Animal Hospital in Hopewell, Va. Early in his career, Dr. Maxwell practiced in Hillsville, Va. Dr. Maxwell was a member of the Virginia VMA. His wife, Joyce; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hopewell Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Hopewell, VA 23860; or Merchant’s Hope Church, 11500 Merchant’s Hope Road, Hopewell, VA 23860.
Ramon W. Medernach
Dr. Medernach (IL ’65), 78, Rockford, Ill., died Nov. 15, 2008. Retired since 2003, he was the founder of Auburn Animal Clinic in Rockford. Dr. Medernach was a member of the Illinois State, Northern Illinois, and Greater Rockford VMAs. He served on the Winnebago County Board of Health for 21 years. Dr. Medernach was a veteran of the Air Force. His wife, Sally, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Class of 1965 Endowment Fund, Office of Advancement, College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 2001 S. Lincoln Ave., Urbana, IL 61802.
John F. Melton
Dr. Melton (TEX ’37), 97, Dallas, died Aug. 21, 2008. He was the founder of Park Cities Animal Hospital, a small animal practice in Dallas. Dr. Melton’s two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Pathways to Ministry, Wilshire Baptist Church, 4316 Abrams Road, Dallas, TX 75214; or Scottish Rite Hospital, 2222 Welborn St., Dallas, TX 75219.
Earl M. Pruyn
Dr. Pruyn (WSU ’49), 83, Missoula, Mont., died June 11, 2008. He was the founder of Pruyn Veterinary Hospital in Missoula. Dr. Pruyn also served as track veterinarian for the Western Montana Fair for several years. He was a member of the Montana VMA, American Association of Bovine Practitioners, and American Animal Hospital Association. Dr. Pruyn was also a member of the Lions Club and was active with the National FFA Organization and 4-H Club. He served in the Army National Guard and was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Pruyn is survived by two sons and a daughter. His sons, Drs. Minott E. Pruyn (COL ’75) and Rollett A. Pruyn (COL ’81), practice at Pruyn Veterinary Hospital.
James R. Rooney
Dr. Rooney (COR ’52), 80, Queenstown, Md., died Sept. 5, 2008. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists and a fellow of the Royal Veterinary College in Stockholm, he was professor emeritus at the University of Kentucky. Known for his expertise in equine anatomy, pathology, and biomechanics, Dr. Rooney served from 1987-1989 as the first director of the University of Kentucky’s Maxwell H. Gluck Equine Research Center and chair of its veterinary science department.
Prior to joining the UK faculty in 1961, he was chief of the pathologic-anatomy branch of the Army Biological Laboratories in Fort Detrick, Md. From 1954-1958, Dr. Rooney was a professor in the Department of Veterinary Science at the Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. He served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1952-1954. During his career, Dr. Rooney also served as a visiting pathologist and acting director of the Equine Research Station in Newmarket, England; was a researcher and professor at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine; and authored the book “Autopsy of the Horse: Technique and Interpretation.”
His wife, Audrey; a daughter; and a son survive him.
Kenneth D. Russell
Dr. Russell (MSU ’58), 75, Rockville, Ind., died Sept. 24, 2008. He owned a practice in Rockville for 33 years. During his career, Dr. Russell also worked for the Department of Agriculture. He was a member of the Indiana VMA. Dr. Russell’s two daughters survive him. His brother, Dr. W. Dale Russell (MSU ’51), is a veterinarian in Rockville.
Leon G. Schwartz
Dr. Schwartz (MID ’44), 87, West Palm Beach, Fla., died Dec. 1, 2008. A past president of the Chicago VMA, he was a consultant in biomedical communications and veterinary marketing since 1980. Following graduation, Dr. Schwartz served as an assistant sanitarian with the United States Public Health Service Communicable Disease Center in Savannah, Ga. From 1946-1975, he owned North Center Animal Hospital in Chicago. He then operated several mobile veterinary clinics in the area.
Dr. Schwartz was a strong believer in continuing education, receiving several university appointments in that field during his career. In 1967, he was dually appointed as an instructor in continuing education and as associate conference coordinator of continuing education service at Michigan State University. The following year, Dr. Schwartz was named a consultant in continuing education to the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine. From 1960-1968, he served on an ad hoc AVMA committee on continuing education. Dr. Schwartz was president of Veterinary Practice Consultants from 1974-1980, involved in continuing education program planning and development.
He was a founding member and past president of the Illinois Academy of Veterinary Practice. Dr. Schwartz was also a member of the Illinois State VMA, American Animal Hospital Association, Association of Military Surgeons of the United States, Conference of Public Health Veterinarians, and Adult Education Association. His wife, Marcia; a daughter; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Foster Small Animal Clinic, Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine, 200 Westboro Road, North Grafton, MA 01536.
Wendy A. Weil
Dr. Weil (BOL ’78), 59, Boynton Beach, Fla., died Aug. 21, 2008. She founded All About Town Pet House Calls in Boynton Beach. Dr. Weil also served as a volunteer with the Animal Care and Control Division Advisory Board in West Palm Beach, Fla. Memorials may be made to the Tri County Humane Society, 584 Northwest 45 Drive, Delray Beach, FL 33445.
Richard L. Winegarden
Dr. Winegarden (ISU ’50), 82, Waterloo, Iowa, died Oct. 16, 2008. He practiced in Waterloo. Dr. Winegarden also served as the veterinarian for the National Dairy Cattle Congress for several years. A veteran of the Air Force Reserve, he attained the rank of major. Dr. Winegarden was a member of the Iowa, Nebraska, and Cedar Valley VMAs. He was also a member of the Reserve and Military officers associations. Dr. Winegarden is survived by five sons, a stepson, and a stepdaughter. Memorials may be made to Waterloo First United Methodist Church, 614 Randolph St., Waterloo, IA 50702.
Ronald S. Zaidlicz
Dr. Zaidlicz (IL ’76), 61, Lee, N.H., died Nov. 28, 2008. He was a supervisory veterinary officer with the Department of Agriculture. Earlier in his career, Dr. Zaidlicz owned a mixed practice in Colorado. He was a co-founder of the National Organization for Wild American Horses and established the Wild Horse-Inmate Program in Canon City, Colo. In 1983, Dr. Zaidlic received the Year Award from the Boulder County Humane Society, for arranging adoptions for hundreds of wild burros and horses. His wife, Diane, and two daughters survive him.