January 01, 2009

 

 Obituaries - January 1, 2009

posted December 15, 2008

 

 
AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember
 
Clayton I. Blum
Dr. Blum (UP ’43), 87, Fredericksburg, Va., died Oct. 8, 2008. During his 35-year career, he practiced in Virginia at Lynchburg, Richmond, and Fredericksburg. Dr. Blum was a life member of the Virginia VMA. He served as a trustee of the Central Rappahannock Regional Library in Fredericksburg. Dr. Blum’s wife, Barbara; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Fredericksburg, 1523 Olde William St., Fredericksburg, VA 22401.
 
Robert E. Bogue
Dr. Bogue (KSU ’52), 85, Shell Knob, Mo., died Oct. 3, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1994, he practiced in Wichita, Kan., with his father, Dr. Joseph Bogue (deceased) and brother, Dr. Richard Bogue (deceased). During his career, Dr. Bogue also worked as veterinarian for the Riverside and Sedgwick County zoos in Wichita. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Marine Corps. Dr. Bogue’s wife, Glenna; two sons; a daughter; and two stepsons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Terry Johnson Cancer Foundation, #1 Chalmers, 1700 Anderson Ave., Manhattan, KS 66502; or Trinity Presbyterian Church, 24596 State Highway #39th, Shell Knob, MO 65747.
 
Richard E. Bradley Sr.
Dr. Bradley (GA ’54), 80, Morganton, N.C., died Oct. 6, 2008. He was professor emeritus at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine since 1990. Dr. Bradley began his career practicing in Illinois. In 1965, he joined the veterinary faculty at UF. Since 2003, he and his family owned Kustom Kare Kennel in Morganton.
 
Dr. Bradley was a past president of the Eastern States Veterinary Conference and a member of the Florida VMA. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Navy. Dr. Bradley is survived by his wife, Alla; three sons; and a daughter. Memorials (with checks payable to the University of Florida Foundation and notated toward the Veterinary Medicine Scholarship Fund in memory of Dr. Richard E. Bradley) may be made to the College of Veterinary Medicine, University of Florida, Senior Director of Development, P.O. Box 100125, Gainesville, FL 32610.
 
Wade O. Brinker
Dr. Brinker (KSU ’39), 95, Okemos, Mich., died Aug. 8, 2008. A founding diplomate and past president of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, he chaired what was known as the Department of Surgery and Medicine at Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine from 1957-1967. Dr. Brinker retired as a professor in 1978. Following retirement, he lectured at the Tuskegee University School of Veterinary Medicine and consulted on orthopedic cases.
 
Dr. Brinker began his career at MSU in 1939. From 1941-1946, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps. Dr. Brinker returned to the veterinary faculty of MSU following his service in the corps. During his tenure at the university, he developed an internationally renowned small animal surgical program. Known for his expertise in small animal orthopedic surgery, Dr. Brinker was the founding president of the Veterinary Orthopedic Society. He co-authored “Handbook of Small Animal Orthopedics and Fracture Repair” and helped introduce the fundamental principles of intramedullary pinning and fracture fixation. Dr. Brinker also helped introduce the concept of rigid internal fixation and the principles of the Association for the Study of Internal Fixation.
 
In 1961, he served as president of the American Association of Veterinary Clinicians. Dr. Brinker was also a past president and distinguished life member of the Michigan VMA and an emeritus member of the National Academies of Practice. He received several honors during his career, including being named Veterinarian of the Year by both the MVMA and the Gaines Dog Research Foundation in 1953. In 1959, Dr. Brinker received the AVMA Gaines Award in recognition of his contributions to the advancement of medicine and surgery for small animals. He was the recipient of a Kansas State University Centennial Award for Distinguished Service in 1963.
 
In 1966, Dr. Brinker was honored with the Norden Distinguished Teaching Award. He received the MSU Distinguished Faculty Award in 1969 and, in 1978, the veterinary college established the Wade O. Brinker Endowed Chair of Veterinary Surgery. Dr. Brinker was named honorary alumnus by the MSU-CVM in 1979 and received the college’s Distinguished Postdoctoral Veterinary Alumnus Award in 1988. In 2005, the ACVS bestowed on him its inaugural Founder’s Award for Career Achievement. An international symposium in Dr. Brinker’s honor will be held at Michigan State University in April 2009. It will feature milestones in the development of the veterinary surgery specialty and ACVS.
 
Dr. Brinker is survived by a daughter and two sons. One son, Dr. Jack W. Brinker (MSU ’82), is a veterinarian in Lake Orion, Mich. Memorials may be made to Michigan State University and mailed to the Office of Development, Wade O. Brinker Endowed Chair of Veterinary Surgery, College of Veterinary Medicine, Michigan State University, F130 Veterinary Medical Center, East Lansing, MI 48824.
 
Claudia I. Cartwright
Dr. Cartwright (OSU ’02), 37, Washington, D.C., died Sept. 19, 2008. She worked for the Department of Agriculture’s Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. In 2006, Dr. Cartwright was part of a team chosen to establish an emergency operations center for avian influenza at the Food and Agriculture Organization in Rome. While in Washington, D.C., she also practiced part time at the College Park Animal Hospital in College Park, Md. Dr. Cartwright is survived by her husband, Fletcher, and a daughter. Memorials toward a college fund for her daughter may be made to Putnam Investments FBO Catalina I. Cartwright, P.O. Box 681, Rogers, AR 72757.
 
John E. Del Favero
Dr. Del Favero (UP ’60), 72, Windsor Locks, Conn., died Oct. 6, 2008. He practiced at Springfield Animal Hospital in Springfield, Mass., for 39 years. Dr. Del Favero served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of major. He was active with the Boy Scouts of America. Dr. Del Favero’s wife, Carol; a daughter; and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Windsor Locks Lions Ambulance Fund, P.O. Box 105, Windsor Locks, CT 06096; or St. Benedict’s Preparatory School Scholarship Fund, 520 Martin Luther King Blvd., Newark, NJ 07102.
 
Marlys E. Forrester
Dr. Forrester (OKL ’77), 62, Midwest City, Okla., died May 19, 2008. She practiced at Boulevard Animal Hospital in Midwest City for 28 years. Dr. Forrester also volunteered her services at the Safe Haven Clinic in Midwest City. She was a member of the Central Oklahoma VMA. Dr. Forrester is survived by her husband, John. Memorials may be made to Safe Haven Clinic and Pet Lodge, 1279 N. Air Depot Blvd., Midwest City, OK 73110.
 
Marvin P. Polak
Dr. Polak (UP ’45), 86, Mission Viejo, Calif., died May 9, 2008.
 
Amy C. Renner
Dr. Renner (PUR ’90), 49, Ridgeville, Ind., died May 11, 2008. She worked at Devonshire Veterinary Clinic Inc. in Anderson, Ind. Earlier, Dr. Renner practiced at Trail Creek Animal Hospital in Michigan City, Ind., for 10 years. She was a member of the Indiana and Central Indiana VMAs. Memorials may be made to the Animal Rescue Fund, 1209 W. Riggin Road, Muncie, IN 47303.
 
Raol J. Taft
Dr. Taft (IL ’54), 82, Cherokee Village, Ark., died July 18, 2008. Retired since 1988, he established Taft Veterinary Clinic in Sawyerville, Ill., in 1970. Earlier in his career, Dr. Taft practiced in Staunton, Ill. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Navy. Dr. Taft’s wife, Marian; a daughter; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the National Kidney Foundation, 30 E. 33rd St., New York, NY 10016; or Cherokee Village Bible Church, 22 Caxambas Drive, Cherokee Village, AR 72529.