posted November 1, 2008
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Harold L. Chute
Dr. Chute (ONT ’49), 87, Orono, Maine, died Sept. 11, 2008. Retired since 1995, he was professor emeritus of animal pathology at the University of Maine and the founder of Chute Chemical Company, established in Bangor, Maine, in 1977. Following graduation, Dr. Chute joined the University of Maine as a veterinary pathologist, focusing on poultry pathology. He became a professor in 1955, serving in that position for 22 years. During that time, Dr. Chute also served eight years as director of development for the university.
Known for his expertise in poultry diseases, including myoplasmosis in poultry, he helped develop disease control programs and was a member of several state and national committees dealing with control and inspection. Dr. Chute was a past president of the Maine VMA, American Association of Avian Pathologists, and American Association of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians. In the late 1970s, he was elected to a five-year term on the Maine Board of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Chute served as Maine’s delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1996-2000, after serving as alternate delegate from 1978-1996.
He was a member of the American Society of Microbiology, Canadian Society of Microbiology, and Royal Society of Health. Dr. Chute was also a member of the Animal Health Subcommittee of the National Academy of Sciences and associate editor of “Methods for the Examination of Poultry Biologics.” He received several honors, including the AAVLD E.P. Pope Memorial Award in 1990 and the MVMA Service Award in 2000.
Active in civic life, Dr. Chute served as the first mayor of the Orono Town Council and as trustee and president of the Maine 4-H Club Foundation. His wife, Marion, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the DeMolay and Pine Tree Youth Foundation, 415 Congress St. #100, Portland, ME 04101; Bangor Scottish Rite Masonic Children’s Learning Center, 84 Harlow St., Bangor, ME 04401; or Page Farm and Home Museum University of Maine, Orono, ME 04469.
Forrest H. Davis
Dr. Davis (COR ’57), 76, Granby, Conn., died Aug. 21, 2008. He practiced at Salmon Brook Veterinary Hospital in Granby for 51 years. Since 1972, Dr. Davis also owned Granby’s Maplewood Farm, where he raised Holsteins. He was a member and past president of the Connecticut VMA. In 2008, Dr. Davis received the Dairy Farm of Distinction Award for Maplewood Farm.
His life partner, Dawn E. McGee; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the Dana Farber Cancer Institute for Treatment and Research, Attn: Contribution Services, 10 Brookline Place W., 6th floor, Brookline, MA 02445; or the Dr. Forrest H. Davis Memorial Fund, Attn: Alumni Affairs and Development, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, P.O. Box 39, Ithaca, NY 14853.
Andrew S. Dworkis
Dr. Dworkis (MSU ’68), 64, Southfield, Mich., died Sept. 26, 2008. He founded a chain of practices in southeast Michigan known as Professional Veterinary Hospitals. The organization established and funded a scholarship program for veterinary students at Michigan State University. Dr. Dworkis last practiced at Dworkis Dog and Cat Hospital in Southfield. His wife, Cheryl; two sons; and a daughter survive him.
Gloria J. Groves-McKinnon
Dr. Groves-McKinnon (TEN ’82), 54, Knoxville, Tenn., died June 10, 2008. She owned Groves Animal Hospital in Knoxville from 1984 until retirement in 2001. Earlier, Dr. Groves-McKinnon operated a mobile veterinary clinic in Knoxville. She also appeared on a local television show “Animal Talk” for several years. Dr. Groves-McKinnon is survived by her husband, Kenneth, and a stepson. Memorials may be made to the Knoxville Humane Society, 5720 Kingston Pike, Knoxville, TN 37919; or American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, 424 E. 92nd St., New York, NY 10128.
Dr. Gruesser (OSU ’45), 86, Jacksonville, Fla., died June 8, 2008. Prior to retirement in 1985, he owned Southside Animal Clinic in Jacksonville. Earlier in his career, Dr. Gruesser practiced in Akron, Ohio. A past president of the American Animal Hospital Association, he served as its delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1972-1975.
Dr. Gruesser was a charter member of the Ohio Academy of Small Animal Medicine and Surgery. He served as a trustee of the AVMA PLIT from 1977-1989.
Dr. Gruesser received the Florida VMA Gold Star Award in 1971 for his contributions to veterinary medicine. He was named FVMA Veterinarian of the Year in 1975 and honored with the association’s Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001. Dr. Gruesser’s wife, Sue; three daughters; a son; a stepdaughter; and a stepson survive him.
Weldon T. Heard
Dr. Heard (COL ’50), 86, Roseburg, Ore., died July 26, 2008. He practiced in Wheatridge, Colo., for 23 years. In 1973, Dr. Heard moved to Roseburg and practiced part time at Bailey Veterinary Clinic for seven years. He also bred Australian Shepherd dogs and Suffolk sheep. Dr. Heard was an Army veteran of World War II. His wife, Betty Sue; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Mercy Hospital Hospice, 2700 Stewart Parkway, Roseburg, OR 97471.
Frederick B. Hembrough
Dr. Hembrough (IL ’54), 83, Scandia, Minn., died March 31, 2008. He was professor emeritus in the Department of Biomedical Sciences at the Iowa State University College of Veterinary Medicine since 1998. Following graduation, Dr. Hembrough practiced in Jacksonville, Ill. He joined ISU as an assistant professor in 1966. Dr. Hembrough’s research focused on cardiovascular physiology. He was a member of the Iowa VMA and a veteran of the Air Force.
Desmond H. Hill
Dr. Hill (ONT ’50), 90, Leyburn, North Yorkshire, United Kingdom, died April 21, 2008. From 1979 until retirement in 1981, he worked for the International Livestock Research Institute in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Following graduation, Dr. Hill joined the University of Ibadan in Ibadan, Nigeria, as a lecturer in the Department of Animal Husbandry and Health and as head and acting dean of the Faculty of Agriculture. In 1963, he helped establish the university’s Faculty of Veterinary Medicine and was promoted to professor of veterinary medicine. Dr. Hill served as head of veterinary medicine and surgery from 1970-1977. He then became the dean of the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine. In 1978, Dr. Hill joined the ILRI as director of animal husbandry in Nigeria.
His wife, Heather; two sons; and a daughter survive him.
John A. Jordan
Dr. Jordan (MSU ’49), 90, Southern Pines, N.C., died Aug. 7, 2008. He owned a practice in Laurinburg, N.C., where he practiced until he was 88. Following graduation, Dr. Jordan established a practice in Lexington, N.C. In 1953, he co-founded Piedmont Animal Hospital in Lexington. He established Jordan Animal Hospital in Lexington in 1967.
Dr. Jordan was a member of the North Carolina VMA and active with the Kiwanis Club. He served as a pilot in the Navy, attaining the rank of lieutenant commander. Dr. Jordan’s wife, Rhett; two sons; a daughter; a stepson; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Kiwanis Kiddie Kamp Foundation, P.O. Box 1951, Lexington, NC 27293.
Donald E. LaBore
Dr. LaBore (COL ’42), 91, Cynthiana, Ky., died Aug. 9, 2008. He was extension professor emeritus at the University of Kentucky, having served as extension veterinarian from 1963-1987. Prior to that, Dr. LaBore practiced in Cynthiana for 21 years. He was appointed to the Kentucky Board of Veterinary Examiners in 1958, served as president of the Kentucky VMA in 1968, and was Kentucky’s alternate delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates from 1978-1990.
Dr. LaBore was named KVMA Veterinarian of the Year in 1973 and received its Distinguished Service Award in 1977. In 1983, he was the first recipient of the LaBore Award for supreme and outstanding contributions to the KVMA. The American Association of Extension Veterinarians named Dr. LaBore its Extension Veterinarian of the Year in 1984. In 2003, the KVMA building in Frankfort was dedicated to him.
Dr. LaBore was a founding member and past president of the Harrison County Water Association. He is survived by two sons and a daughter. One son, Dr. Rick A. LaBore (AUB ‘73), is a veterinarian in London, Ky. Memorials may be made to the Kentucky Veterinary Medical Association Foundation, Attn: Memorial Scholarship Fund, P.O. Box 4067, Frankfort, KY 40604.
Dr. Mayeda (MSU ’49), 85, Sacramento, Calif., died July 6, 2008. A diplomate of the American College of Poultry Veterinarians, he retired in 1985 as director of the California Department of Food and Agriculture’s regional veterinary diagnostic laboratory at Petaluma. During his 36-year career with the state’s Bureau of Veterinary Laboratory Services, Dr. Mayeda also served as assistant laboratory director of the Sacramento regional laboratory.
A veteran of the Army Veterinary Corps, he attained the rank of 2nd lieutenant. Dr. Mayeda was a charter member and past president of the Western Poultry Disease Conference, receiving a plaque of appreciation in 1985 for his support and service. He was also a life member of the American Association of Avian Pathologists and a member of the Sacramento VMA. Dr. Mayeda is survived by his wife, May, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Parkview Presbyterian Church, 727 T St., Sacramento, CA 95811.
James C. Oliver
Dr. Oliver (MO ’60), 79, O’Fallon, Mo., died Sept. 12, 2008. He founded Animal Clinic and Hospital of O’Fallon in 1960. Dr. Oliver was a veteran of the Army. He served on the Fort Zumwalt School Board from 1968-1980, was St. Charles County Western District Judge from 1972-1974, served on the St. Charles County Ambulance District Board from 1974-1977, and was a recent member of the St. Charles County Board of Equalization. He was also a member of the O’Fallon Kiwanis Club.
His wife, Dorothy; a son; and four daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Cornerstone United Methodist Church, 1151 Tom Ginnever Ave., O’Fallon, MO 63366; or the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, Donor Services, P.O. Box 4072, Pittsfield, MA 01202.
Richard C. Post
Dr. Post (UP ’54), 81, Kingston, Pa., died Aug. 13, 2008. He retired in 1992 from Back Mountain Veterinary Hospital, a practice he established in Dallas, Pa., in 1956. Early in his career, Dr. Post worked as staff equine veterinarian at Hanover Shoe Farms in Hanover, Pa. He was a veteran of World War II, serving first in the Naval Air Corps, and, later, as a 1st lieutenant in the Army Veterinary Corps.
A member of the Pennsylvania and Northeastern Pennsylvania VMAs, Dr. Post served on the board of the Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Animals of Luzerne County and was active with the Lehman Horse Show and Back Mountain Kennel Club. He was also a member of the Dallas American Legion. Dr. Post’s life partner, Sandra J. Knouse, survives him. Memorials in his name may be made to Trucksville United Methodist Church, Church Road, Trucksville, PA 18709; or Holy Trinity Lutheran Church, 813 Wyoming Ave., Kingston, PA 18704.
Carl S. Pruitt
Dr. Pruitt (AUB ’56), 86, Indianapolis, died Aug. 17, 2008. He served as manager of regulatory affairs at Elanco Animal Health in Indianapolis for 23 years. Prior to that, Dr. Pruitt was a field veterinarian with Elanco in Fayetteville, Ark. Early in his career, he owned a practice in Dadeville, Ala., and worked for the Department of Agriculture.
Dr. Pruitt was active with the Animal Health Institute and was a member of the Alabama VMA. A past president of what is now known as the American Association of Corporate and Public Practice Veterinarians, he received its Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1984. Dr. Pruitt’s wife, Frances, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Epworth United Methodist Church, 6450 Allisonville Road, Indianapolis, IN 46220.
Jerry L. Reed
Dr. Reed (AUB ’68), 65, New Port Richey, Fla., died March 20, 2008. He practiced at All Pets Hospital in New Port Richey for more than 30 years. Dr. Reed is survived by his wife, Carylene; two sons; and a stepson. Memorials in his name may be made to Hernando Pasco Hospice, 6801 Rowan Road, New Port Richey, FL 34653.
Dr. Splaver (OSU ’37), 99, Arcadia, Calif., died March 15, 2008. In 1945, he founded El Monte Dog and Cat Hospital in El Monte, Calif. Dr. Splaver was a life member of the California VMA and a member of the Southern California VMA. He is survived by two daughters. Memorials toward the David Splaver Memorial Fund may be made to Congregation Shaarei Torah, 550 S. Second Ave., Arcadia, CA 91006.
John V. Steiner
Dr. Steiner (COR ’68), 64, Red Hook, N.Y., died May 26, 2008. A diplomate and past president of the American College of Theriogenologists, he was a theriogenologist for Rhinebeck Equine Veterinary Hospital in Rhinebeck, N.Y., at the time of his death. Following graduation, Dr. Steiner practiced in Newton, N.J. In 1970, he founded an equine practice in Mahopac, N.Y., serving lower Duchess, Putnam, and Westchester counties, and western Connecticut.
Dr. Steiner moved in 1989 to Lexington, Ky., where he established an equine practice on a Thoroughbred farm. In 1992, he joined Hagyard, Davidson, and McGee in Lexington. During his 16 years at the practice, Dr. Steiner founded and directed its equine fertility unit. He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, serving on its Reproductive Committee in 1991-1992. Dr. Steiner was also a member of the Society for Theriogenology.
His wife, Geri; a daughter; a son; a stepdaughter; and a stepson survive him. Memorials in his name toward a joint AAEP/SFT/ACT memorial fund may be made to the AAEP Foundation, 4075 Iron Works Parkway, Lexington, KY 40511.
T. Victor Wakefield
Dr. Wakefield (AUB ’77), 56, Lewisburg, Tenn., died Aug. 13, 2008. He owned Lewisburg Animal Clinic for 30 years. Dr. Wakefield was a past member of the Tennessee State Veterinary Medical Board. He was active with the Boy Scouts of America and the Tennessee Children’s Home. His life partner, Sheryl McCaleb; two daughters; and a son survive him. Dr. Wakefield’s brother, Dr. A. Ray Wakefield (AUB ’79), is a veterinarian in Lewisburg.
Memorials in his name may be made to the Boy Scouts of America, Middle Tennessee Council, P.O. Box 150409, Nashville, TN 37215; Tennessee Children’s Home, P.O. Box 10, Spring Hill, TN 37174; Helping Hands International Missions, P.O. Box 9185, Columbia, SC 29290; or Foundation for Veterinary Technology Scholarship, Columbia State Community College, 1665 Hampshire Pike, Columbia, TN 38401.
Kenneth R. Wilcox
Dr. Wilcox (COL ’45), 84, Sequim, Wash., died Aug 10, 2008. From 1954 until retirement in 1988, he owned Upland Animal Hospital in Upland, Calif. Dr. Wilcox began his career in Los Angeles. He then practiced in Mesa, Ariz., during which time he helped organize the Central Arizona VMA. From 1952-1954, Dr. Wilcox served as a captain in the Air Force.
He was a past president of the California, Southern California, and Orange Belt VMAs. Dr. Wilcox served on the advisory committee to the California Academy of Veterinary Medicine and was American Animal Hospital Association Region 5 director in 1975. In 1979, he received the AAHA Region 5 Service Award for contributions to the veterinary profession. Dr. Wilcox became a distinguished life member of the CVMA in 1985.
His wife, Lilly; three sons; and two daughters survive him.