posted July 1, 2008
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Ira J. Aves Jr.
Dr. Aves (IL ’57), 80, Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla., died May 23, 2008. Prior to retirement, he owned a mixed animal practice in Belvidere, Ill., for 47 years. Dr. Aves also served as the animal control administrator for Illinois’ Boone County. His wife, Nancy; a son; and a daughter survive him.
Robert L. Campbell
Dr. Campbell (ISU ’41), 90, Brookfield, Mo., died Feb. 22, 2008. From 1950 until retirement, he owned a practice in Brookfield. Earlier in his career, Dr. Campbell worked for the Department of Agriculture, served on the veterinary faculty of the University of Missouri-Columbia, and practiced in Missouri at Farmington and Macon. His wife, Mary, and four daughters survive him.
Dr. Higgins (MO ’53), 85, Tulsa, Okla., died April 30, 2008. Following graduation until retirement in 1979, he owned a practice in Grandview, Mo., continuing to practice there part time until 1985. Dr. Higgins was a past president of the Missouri VMA. While serving as first chair of its continuing education committee, he initiated the Missouri Veterinary Medical Academy. Dr. Higgins was also a past executive board member of the Kansas City VMA. In 1972, he received the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine Alumnus of the Year Award. Dr. Higgins was named MVMA Veterinarian of the Year in 1979.
He is survived by his wife, Mary, and a son. Dr. Higgins’ son and daughter-in-law, Drs. Mark T. Higgins (MO ’81) and Betty L. Bassett-Higgins (MO ’81), are veterinarians in Tulsa. Memorials may be made to the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine, W205A Veterinary Medicine Building, Columbia, MO 65211.
Grant D. Maurer
Dr. Maurer (COL ’69), 68, Salmon, Idaho, died April 8, 2008. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists, he owned practices in Oregon and California before becoming a full-time rancher in Salmon in 2005. Early in his career, Dr. Maurer was a staff ophthalmologist at the Berkeley Veterinary Medical Group in Berkeley, Calif. He also served as an adjunct professor at Oregon State University College of Veterinary Medicine.
In 1984, Dr. Maurer received the Northwest Practitioner Award from the American Animal Hospital Association for his service in the field of veterinary ophthalmology. He is survived by his wife, Dawn; a daughter; a son; a stepdaughter; and a stepson.
Richard A. Novak
Dr. Novak (OSU ’71), 60, Novelty, Ohio, died Nov. 26, 2007. He was a diplomate of the American Board of Veterinary Practitioners.
Robert B. Parker
Dr. Parker (CAL ’73), 59, Buck Hills Falls, Pa., died April 7, 2008. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, he was chief of surgery at the Animal Emergency Clinic of Wyoming Valley in Pittston, Pa., since January 2008. Dr. Parker began his career as a faculty member in the Department of Surgical Sciences at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. He was chief of animal surgery at the university from 1982-1991. Dr. Parker then went on sabbatical for a year to Australia, teaching and serving as a visiting scholar at the University of Sydney. In 1997, he joined the Animal Medical Center in New York City, where he was chairman of the department of surgery for 10 years.
During his career, Dr. Parker conducted and participated in research in the field of veterinary orthopedics, and mentored veterinary surgeons. His wife, Ramona; a daughter; and two stepsons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Pennsylvania Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, RR1, Box 1237, Stroudsburg, PA 18360.
Joseph S. Smith Sr.
Dr. Smith (AUB ’43), 85, Conway, S.C., died Nov. 21, 2007. Prior to retirement in 1985, he owned Conway Veterinary Hospital. Following graduation, Dr. Smith practiced in Tabor City, N.C., for two years. During his career, he also worked for the Department of Agriculture and held rabies clinics for South Carolina’s Horry County. Dr. Smith was a member of the South Carolina Association of Veterinarians and the North Carolina and Pee Dee (S.C.) VMAs. His wife, Eloise; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Trinity United Methodist Church, 198 Long Ave., Conway, SC 29526.
Allen R. Till
Dr. Till (AUB ’57), 78, Meridian, Miss., died Nov. 24, 2007. He owned Till-Newell Animal Hospital in Meridian. Dr. Till’s wife, Lynn, survives him.
Lowell M. Webb
Dr. Webb (KSU ’43), 88, New Lenox, Ill., died March 31, 2008. He owned New Lenox Animal Hospital from 1965-2004. Earlier in his career, Dr. Webb served as Will County veterinarian and was animal control administrator until 1977. He farmed and raised cattle and Appaloosa horses, also raising and racing several Thoroughbreds. Dr. Webb served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1943-1945. He attained the rank of captain. Dr. Webb’s wife, Kathleen; three sons; and a daughter survive him. One son, Dr. Harold L. Webb (KSU ’79), practices at New Lenox Animal Hospital.
Raymond J. Widmann
Dr. Widmann (UP ’52), 81, Martinsburg, Pa., died April 17, 2008. From 1957 until retirement in 2002, he practiced in Martinsburg. Following graduation, Dr. Widmann worked as a field veterinarian with the Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture, focusing on the eradication of bovine brucellosis. He then practiced in Everett, Pa. During his career, Dr. Widmann also helped with the nationwide effort to eradicate tuberculosis and hog cholera.
He was a past president of the Penn Allegheny VMA and a member of the Pennsylvania VMA, serving on the PVMA Agricultural Liaison Committee for more than 20 years. Dr. Widmann was also a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners. In 2007, he received the PVMA Lifetime Achievement Award. Dr. Widmann was a past president of the Martinsburg Lions Club. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Army. Dr. Widmann received the World War II Victory Medal.
He is survived by two daughters and five sons. Memorials may be made to Trinity Lutheran Church, 106 W. Penn St., Bedford, PA 15522.