posted May 15, 2008
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Robert H. Baker
Dr. Baker (CAL ’54), 78, Solana Beach, Calif., died Jan. 5, 2008. Retired since 1990, he was an equine practitioner who established Chino Valley Equine Hospital in Chino, Calif., in 1970. The practice served as the official hospital for the 1984 Olympic equestrian events. Dr. Baker began his career at California’s Caliente and Santa Anita racetracks. He then served in the Air Force for two years, attaining the rank of captain. Dr. Baker returned thereafter to the West Covina/Covina area of the San Gabriel Valley, where he built an extensive breeding farm practice and served as a racetrack practitioner.
Dr. Baker was a member of the California and Southern California VMAs, and the American Association of Equine Practitioners. In 1993, he received the CVMA’s inaugural Dan Evans Memorial Award for his contributions to equine veterinary medicine. Dr. Baker was the recipient of the University of California-Davis Alumni Achievement Award in 1997 and the AAEP Distinguished Educator Award in 2001. He was also honored with the Mexican Association of Equine Practitioners’ Caballero Azteca Lifetime Achievement Award in 2001 for his assistance to Mexican veterinarians.
Dr. Baker’s wife, Ann; three sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Robert H. Baker Scholarship Fund, University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616; or the Dr. Robert Baker Memorial Fund, AAEP, 4075 Iron Works Parkway, Lexington, KY 40511.
Kenneth B. Brown
Dr. Brown (COL ’52), 79, Brownstown, Ind., died March 20, 2008. Before retiring in 1991, he practiced in Indiana’s Jackson County for 39 years. Dr. Brown’s wife, Maxine, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Brownstone Presbyterian Church, 417 N. Elm St., Brownstown, IN 47220.
William F. Bryson
Dr. Bryson (MO ’53), 79, Fredericktown, Mo., died Feb. 24, 2008. He founded Fredericktown Animal Hospital in 1955, practicing there until retirement in 1990. In 1983, Dr. Bryson also established Bryson Funeral Home in Pilot Knob, Mo. A past president of the Missouri and Southeast Missouri VMAs, he was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and the Society for Theriogenology. Dr. Bryson served on the board of directors of the Missouri Veterinary Medical Foundation, and was a member of the Dean’s Advisory Committee to the University of Missouri-Columbia College of Veterinary Medicine and the Governor’s Advisory Council for Agriculture. In 1978, he received the MVMA Veterinarian of the Year Award.
Dr. Bryson served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1953-1955. Active in civic life, he was past chair of the Fredericktown Hospital Board, a member of the New Era Bank Board, and a founding member of the Veterinary Museum in Jefferson City, Mo. His wife, Jean; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Stockhoff Memorial Nursing Home, 611 W. Main St., Fredericktown, MO 63645; Missouri Veterinary Museum, 2500 Country Club Drive, Jefferson City, MO 65109; or Methodist Church United, 216 S. Main St., Fredericktown, MO 63645.
Robert J. Flynn
Dr. Flynn (MSU ’44), 85, Lake Forest, Ill., died March 11, 2008. He was Lake County veterinarian for almost 30 years, serving concurrently as veterinarian for the Argonne National Laboratory in Argonne, Ill. During his time at Argonne, Dr. Flynn directed animal facilities, conducted research, and authored “Parasites of Laboratory Animals.” He was a diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine and a past president of what is now known as the American Association of Laboratory Animal Science.
Dr. Flynn received several honors, including the AALAS Charles A. Griffin Award in 1968 and the first Robert J. Flynn Award in 1969, given for service to the AALAS and the Chicago branch of the AALAS. He was a member of the National Research Council and the National Academy of Sciences. Dr. Flynn’s wife, Doris; two sons; and three daughters survive him.
Henry P. Galloway
Dr. Galloway (COL ’38), 93, Elkhorn, Neb., died Oct. 1, 2007.
Roger W. Gfeller
Dr. Gfeller (KSU ’73), 58, Fresno, Calif., died Nov. 25, 2007. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, he owned Central California Veterinary Specialty Center in Fresno since 2006. Prior to that, Dr. Gfeller was chief of staff at Fresno’s Veterinary Emergency Services Inc., for more than 25 years. Early in his career, he served in the Army as a captain at Lemoore Naval Air Station, where he ran a veterinary clinic for the base.
Dr. Gfeller was a past president of the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society. He authored “First Aid Emergency Care for Dogs and Cats” and co-authored “Handbook of Small Animal Toxicology and Poisonings.” Dr. Gfeller’s wife, Margie; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Kansas State University Veterinary Scholarship Fund, 103 Trotter Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506; or Animal Rescue of Fresno, 4545 E. Dakota Ave., Fresno, CA 93726.
John B. Harms
Dr. Harms (WSU ’54), 87, Boise, Idaho, died Jan. 29, 2008. From 1958 until retirement, he worked in meat inspection for the Department of Agriculture. Early in his career, Dr. Harms owned a mixed animal practice in Wendell, Idaho. He served in the Marine Corps during World War II. Dr. Harms was a founding member of the Idaho Chapter of the American Civil Liberties Union and was involved with the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People and the International Association for Religious Freedom. He is survived by three daughters and a son.
Dr. Makowski (COR ’77), 56, Landenberg, Pa., died Oct. 13, 2007. She practiced in Pennsylvania and surrounding areas, focusing on holistic veterinary medicine.
Michael T. McCann
Dr. McCann (TEX ’66), 65, Fulshear, Texas, died Nov. 7, 2007. From 1977 until retirement in 2007, he owned Lakeside Animal Clinic in Houston. Dr. McCann also established Union Chappel Vineyards in Fort Bend County in 1991. Early in his career, he practiced at Fort Bend Veterinary Clinic.
He was a lifetime member of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo and the Fort Bend County Fair. Dr. McCann chaired the Fulshear Planning Commission and was a member of the Economic Development Council. He served as a captain in the Air Force Veterinary Corps for two years. Dr. McCann is survived by his wife, Carole, and three daughters. Memorials may be made to the K.G. “Red” McCann Endowed Scholarship, Texas A&M Foundation, 401 George Bush Drive, College Station, TX 77840; Texas A&M Foundation for Dr. Michael Turner McCann Veterinary Scholarship, College of Veterinary Medicine, College Station, TX 77843; or Fulshear Cemetery Association, 4522 Ivanhoe, Houston, TX 77027.
J. Eugene Schneider
Dr. Schneider (COL ’60), 75, Broomfield, Colo., died Dec. 21, 2007. Prior to retirement, he served 23 years as an associate professor of equine medicine at Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine. Following graduation, Dr. Schneider joined the veterinary faculty of Colorado State University. In 1967, he moved to Kenya, where he helped establish the veterinary school at the University of Nairobi. Dr. Schneider returned to the United States three years later and joined the faculty of KSU.
He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and a Marine veteran of the Korean War. Dr. Schneider is survived by his wife, Judith; three sons; and a daughter.