April 15, 2008

 

 Obituaries - April 15, 2008

posted April 1, 2008

  

AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember
 

Francis L. Adams
Dr. Adams (COL ’61), 75, Madison, Wis., died Aug. 27, 2007. Prior to retirement in 1997, he served as an assistant area supervisor for the Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service in Madison. Earlier in his career, Dr. Adams practiced large animal medicine, worked for a biological laboratory, and owned a biological manufacturing company. He is survived by his wife, Phyllis, and three sons.


Clarence H.Y. Ching
Dr. Ching (ISU ’55), 80, Honolulu, died Dec. 30, 2007. In 1959, he established Maui Veterinary Clinic in Kahului, Hawaii. Dr. Ching moved the clinic in 1986 to Wailuku, Hawaii, practicing there until retirement in 2000. From 1958-1992, he also served as the Maui County Meat Inspection Supervisor for the Hawaii Department of Agriculture.
Dr. Ching was a past member of the Hawaii Board of Veterinary Examiners, a past president of the Maui Humane Society, and a past official of the Maui Kennel Club. In the 1960s, he served as track veterinarian for horse races at the Kahului fairgrounds, provided services at Maui rodeos, and took care of the pets and livestock on the Hawaiian islands of Molokai and Lanai.

Dr. Ching’s wife, Cathy; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the King Lunalilo Adult Day Care Center, 501 Kekauluohi St., Honolulu, HI 96825; or St. Francis Hospice, 24 Puiwa St., Honolulu, HI 96817.

 
Earl W. Cook
Dr. Cook (UP ’36), 93, Huntingdon Valley, Pa., died Feb. 21, 2008. Prior to retirement, he served as president of QC Inc., a commercial laboratory he co-founded in 1943 for quality control testing of dairy products, food, and the environment. Early in his career, Dr. Cook worked at National Dairy in Pittsburgh for seven years. He served as president of the Pennsylvania Dairy Laboratory Directors Association, was an official of the Pennsylvania Dairy Sanitation Association, and was a member of the Pennsylvania VMA. In 2001, Dr. Cook received the Alumni Award of Merit from the Veterinary Medical Alumni Society of the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.

Active in civic life, he served on the board of directors of the Fox Chase Bank for more than 50 years. Dr. Cook is survived by his wife, Elizabeth, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Bethany Baptist Church, 460 Rhawn St., Philadelphia, PA 19111.


G. Caroline Engle
Dr. Engle (WSU ’67), 78, Newberg, Ore., died Feb. 2, 2008. Before retiring, she served as a house call veterinarian for four years. Prior to that, Dr. Engle worked 20 years in Vancouver, Wash., at the Feline Medical Clinic, a practice she founded in 1977. Early in her career, she practiced in Philadelphia.


Dr. Engle served on the board of trustees of Washington State University, where she established the Caroline Engle Distinguished Professorship in Research on Infectious Diseases. She also established the Caroline Engle Scholarship Fund for Nursing Students at the George Fox University School of Nursing, where the Caroline Engle Critical Care Room also honors her memory. Dr. Engle was a member of the Peace Corps and the People to People Ambassador Program.


Michael S. Fielder
Dr. Fielder (NCU ’04), 35, Holly Springs, N.C., died Aug. 19, 2007. He was a captain with the Army Veterinary Corps, serving at the time of his death in Iraq, where he took care of the military working dogs. Dr. Fielder received several honors, including the Navy Good Conduct, National Defense Service, Iraq Campaign, and Global War on Terrorism Service medals. He also received the Army Service Ribbon.


Dr. Fielder is survived by his wife, Mary. Memorials may be made to the Captain Michael Shean Fielder, D.V.M. Memorial Scholarship, North Carolina Veterinary Medical Foundation Inc., 4700 Hillsborough St., Raleigh, NC 27606.


Paul J. Gordon
Dr. Gordon (COR ’70), 62, Millington, N.J., died Feb. 11, 2008. He practiced at Fanwood Animal Hospital in Fanwood, N.J. Dr. Gordon’s wife, Deborah; a son; and a daughter survive him.


Paul E. Gorham
Dr. Gorham (ISU ’52), 79, Indianola, Iowa, died Sept. 29, 2007. From 1964 until retirement in 1989, he served as a research scientist at Eli Lilly and Company in Indianapolis. Following graduation, Dr. Gorham established a large animal practice in Clear Lake, Iowa. He then practiced for seven years in Kanawha, Iowa, and served as a sales representative for Arizona Veterinary Supply Company. Dr. Gorham next worked as director of technical service at Diamond Laboratories Inc. for two years.  

He was a member of the Iowa VMA and past executive secretary of the Arizona VMA. From 1945-1947, he served in the Navy. Dr. Gorham’s wife, Marylin; a daughter; and two sons survive him. 

Raymond A. Howard
Dr. Howard (MSU ’46), 84, Prudenville, Mich., died Oct. 17, 2007. He co-owned Pearce Veterinary Hospital in Southfield, Mich., for 20 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Howard practiced at Patterson’s Dog and Cat Hospital in Detroit. He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and past treasurer of the Southeastern Michigan VMA. Dr. Howard served as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1952-1954. His wife, Doreen; a daughter; and a son survive him.


Paul F. McWilliams
Dr. McWilliams (MO ’68), 65, Boise, Idaho, died Aug. 22, 2007. He owned Orchard Animal Clinic in Boise for 29 years. Early in his career, Dr. McWilliams served as a veterinarian for the Army, taking care of military working dogs. He is survived by his wife, Saundra. Dr. McWilliams’ brother-in-law, Dr. John C. Fields (MO ’68), is a veterinarian in Mount Vernon, Ill. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, 270 S. Orchard St., Boise, ID 83705.

Richard C. Williams
Dr. Williams (ISU ’49), 83, East Moline, Ill., died Jan. 13, 2008. Prior to retirement, he practiced in Moline, co-establishing Oak Knoll Animal Hospital in 1963. During his career, Dr. Williams also served as track veterinarian at Quad Cities Downs for several years. He was a past president of the Illinois State, Quad Cities, Mississippi Valley, and Midwest Small Animal VMAs. Dr. Williams chaired the ISVMA Ecology Committee in 1971 and received its 1982 Service Award. He was a member of the Quad City Audubon Society and the North American Bluebird Society.

Dr. Williams is survived by his wife, Phyllis; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to Riverside United Methodist Church, 712 16th St., Moline, IL 61265; or Two Rivers YMCA, 2040 53rd St., Moline, IL 61265.


Richard O. Willingham
Dr. Willingham (TEX ’75), 58, Plainview, Texas, died Feb. 8, 2008. He was herd veterinarian for Dairy Fountain in Plainview since 2002. Following graduation, Dr. Willingham served as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps. He then practiced mixed animal medicine for 24 years at Hopkins County Veterinary Clinic in Sulphur Springs, Texas. Dr. Willingham was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners and the Texas VMA, serving on the latter’s dairy committee.


His wife, Terry, and three daughters survive him. Dr. Willingham’s first wife, Dr. Jackie A. Willingham (now deceased), was a 1975 graduate of Texas A&M University and practiced with Dr. Willingham at Hopkins County Veterinary Clinic. Two of his daughters, Drs. Alexis Willingham (TEX ’05) and Callie Willingham (TEX ’07), are veterinarians in Little Elm, Texas, and Maricopa, Ariz., respectively. Memorials may be made to the Richard O. Willingham Scholarship Fund, Texas A&M Foundation, Office of the Dean, Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine, Suite 101-VMA, College Station, TX 77843.


Curtis L. Witt
Dr. Witt (IL ’62), 78, Madison, Wis., died Aug. 27, 2007. He owned Witt Animal Clinic in Maple Park, Ill., for 40 years. During his career, Dr. Witt also served as a veterinarian at Illinois racetracks and trained and drove Standardbred harness horses. He was a member of the Illinois State VMA and the International Veterinary Acupuncture Society. Dr. Witt was also a member of the Maple Park Lions Club.

His two daughters and three sons survive him. Memorials toward Dr. Witt’s favorite charities and the Dr. Curtis L. Witt Scholarship Fund for veterinary students at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign may be made to the Doctor Witt Memorial Fund, American Bank & Trust, 8 S. Main St., Elburn, IL 60119.

Steven E. Wright
Dr. Wright (KSU ’74), 59, Omaha, Neb., died Sept. 4, 2007. He owned Millard Veterinary Clinic in Omaha since 1975. Dr. Wright served on the Nebraska VMA board of directors for 12 years and was elected president in 1997. He was past chair of the Nebraska Board of Veterinary Medicine and Surgery and was a member of the American Association of Veterinary State Boards and Nebraska Academy of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Wright served on the board of directors of Professional Veterinary Products for seven years, including one year as president.

In 1991, he received the NVMA President’s Award for Outstanding Service. Dr. Wright was honored posthumously by the Kansas State University Veterinary Medical Alumni Association at the NVMA Annual Convention in January. He is survived by his son, Dr. Matthew S. Wright (KSU ’01), who owns Millard West Veterinary Clinic in Omaha.

 
Humberto Zayas-Chardon
Dr. Zayas-Chardon (UP ’47), 86, Ponce, Puerto Rico, died Nov. 30, 2007. He founded Ponce Animal Hospital in 1956, practicing there until retirement in 1992. Following graduation, Dr. Zayas-Chardon returned to Puerto Rico and was in mixed animal practice for two years. From 1949-1951, he worked for the Department of Agriculture. Dr. Zayas-Chardon then served as a food inspector for the Department of Agriculture of Puerto Rico. In 1977, he helped found the Ponce School of Medicine.

Dr. Zayas-Chardon was a city of Ponce assembly member from 1973-1978. He was twice elected in 1984 and 1988 to the House of Representatives of the Puerto Rican Legislature, serving as president of the agriculture committee and a member of the health and natural resources committees. During his tenure, Dr. Zayas-Chardon promoted the establishment of the Colegio de Medicos Veterinarios de Puerto Rico.

His wife, Lizette; three daughters; and five sons survive him. Dr. Zayas-Chardon’s son and daughter-in-law, Drs. Hector Zayas (UP ’92) and Patricia Randel (LSU ’95), operate Ponce Animal Hospital. His nephew, Dr. Franciso Zayas-Seijo (UP ’75) of Ponce, is also a veterinarian. Memorials may be made to the Trustees of University of Pennsylvania, Veterinary Alumni Scholarship Fund, c/o School of Veterinary Medicine, Office of Development and Alumni Relations, 3800 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19104.