April 01, 2008

 

 Obituaries - April 1, 2008

 

posted March 15, 2008

 

AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember

James J. Boswell
Dr. Boswell (UP ’69), 68, Plymouth, Mass., died Jan. 11, 2008. In 1975, he founded Pilgrim Animal Hospital in Plymouth. Earlier in his career, Dr. Boswell practiced at Oradell Animal Hospital in Oradell, N.J. His wife, Ann; a daughter; and two sons survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the Jordan Hospital Club Cancer Center, 275 Sandwich St., Plymouth, MA 02360.


Irene W. Bryant
Dr. Bryant (WSU ’47), 84, Hendersonville, N.C., died Oct. 21, 2007 (see also news article, page 987). Prior to retirement, she owned a large animal practice in Skaneateles, N.Y. Early in her career, Dr. Bryant practiced in Missoula, Mont. She is survived by a daughter and three sons. Memorials may be made to the Brevard Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 562, Brevard, NC 28712.


James E. Cook
Dr. Cook (TEX ’79), 54, Beaumont, Texas, died Dec. 28, 2007. He owned Delaware Animal Clinic in Beaumont for 22 years and served as secretary of the board of directors of the Southeast Texas Animal Emergency Clinic. Earlier in his career, Dr. Cook practiced at Rutty Animal Clinic in Groves, Texas. He was a member of the Texas VMA, serving on its board of directors from 1994-1997. Dr. Cook was also a member of the Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers associations. He was active with the Beaumont Rotary Club.


Dr. Cook’s wife, Linda; a son; a daughter; and two stepsons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Dr. James E. Cook Endowment Fund (for indigent services), Southeast Texas Animal Emergency Clinic, 3420 W. Cardinal Drive, Beaumont, TX 77705.


Carol Frollo
Dr. Frollo (UP ’02), 44, Pittsburgh, died Aug. 14, 2007.


Frank B. James
Dr. James (KSU ’60), 73, Hickory Corners, Mich., died Aug. 8, 2007. A member of the Michigan VMA, he served on its Membership Services Committee for several years.

 
Jack A. Mau
Dr. Mau (ISU ’52), 78, Minnetonka, Minn., died Aug. 14, 2007. He worked for International Multifoods in Minneapolis. Following graduation and until 1971, Dr. Mau practiced in La Porte City, Iowa. He was a past president of what is now known as the American Association of Corporate and Public Practice Veterinarians and served as its allied industry representative to the Nutrition Council of the American Feed Industry Association. Dr. Mau was a member of the AFIA Animal Health Committee and represented the committee at meetings of the Food and Drug Administration’s Center for Veterinary Medicine. In 1989, he was named Industrial Veterinarian of the Year.

 
Dr. Mau’s wife, Martha; two daughters; and four sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Faith Presbyterian Church of Minnetonka, 12007 Excelsior Blvd., Hopkins, MN 55343.


Robert A. Odell
Dr. Odell (COL ’60), 74, Green Valley, Ariz., died Dec. 27, 2007. Prior to retirement in 1999, he was a partner at Alondra Animal Hospital and Inland Animal Hospital in Gardena, Calif., and Del Amo Animal Hospital in Torrance, Calif. Dr. Odell served a four-year term on the California Veterinary Medical Board. He was a past president of the South Bay chapter of the Southern California VMA. Dr. Odell is survived by his wife, Carol; three daughters; and two sons. Memorials may be made to the American Parkinson Association/Parkinson Research, Arizona Chapter, 2033 E. Speedway Blvd., Suite 203, Tucson, AZ 85719.
 

Dan G. Parmer
Dr. Parmer (AUB ’50), 81, Oak Lawn, Ill., died Aug. 3, 2007. He was the administrator of the Cook County Animal and Rabies Control Department since 1998. Following graduation, Dr. Parmer practiced in Galveston, Texas, for four years. He then served as public health officer for the Air Force Veterinary Corps. From 1959-1962, Dr. Parmer was a consultant for the veterinary division of Eli Lilly Company in Washington, D.C.

 
He owned Scottsdale Animal Clinic in Burbank, Ill., from 1962-1983. Dr. Parmer served as chief veterinarian for the city of Chicago and as deputy to the executive director of the Department of Animal Care and Control from 1973-1988. In 1988, Dr. Parmer was loaned to the Chicago Department of Health and named medical director of the Food Protection Program. During that time he co-developed and directed the Disease Outbreak Control Center.   


Dr. Parmer served on the AVMA Animal Welfare Committee from 2000-2006 and was past chair of the Illinois State VMA board of directors. He was a member of the National Animal Control Association, Society of Animal Welfare Administrators, and American Association of Animal Welfare Veterinarians. Dr. Parmer received several honors, including the ISVMA President’s Award in 1987, the University of Illinois Special Service Award in 2002, and the Chicago Anti-Cruelty Society’s Rose Fay Thomas Special Recognition Award. In January 2006, the Cook County Board of Commissioners led a resolution in his honor, recognizing his lifelong commitment to animals and public safety.
Dr. Parmer is survived by his wife, Donna; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to St. Paul Lutheran Church, 4660 W. 94th St., Oak Lawn, IL 60453.

William B. Putnam
Dr. Putnam (MSU ’56), 77, Harwich, Mass., died Aug. 10, 2007. In 1960, he established Putnam Veterinary Clinic in Shrewsbury, Mass., practicing there until retirement in 1988. Earlier in his career, Dr. Putnam practiced in Bellingham, Mass., and worked at the Boston Animal Rescue League. His two sons and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to The American Diabetes Association, P.O. Box 11454, Alexandria, VA 22312; or The Cape Cod Artificial Kidney Center, 241 Willow St., Yarmouthport, MA 02675. 


Alvin H. Safanie
Dr. Safanie (COR ’47), 83, Champaign, Ill., died Jan. 10, 2008. He was professor emeritus of veterinary biosciences at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine in Urbana-Champaign. Dr. Safanie joined the university’s veterinary faculty in 1952, teaching anatomy and embryology courses until his retirement in 1985. In 1986, he received a Service Award from the U of I CVM’s Alumni Association. Dr. Safanie’s wife, Dr. Dorothy Singleton (IL ’55), and four daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Carle Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program, Carle Foundation Hospital, 611 W. Park St., Urbana, IL 61801.


Floyd W. Wagner
Dr. Wagner (ISU ’69), 62, Lake Andes, S.D., died Dec. 28, 2007. He owned a practice in Lake Andes for the past 10 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Wagner owned  practices in Iowa and Lennox, S.D. He was a member of the Charles Mix Fair Board and was named South Central Cattlemen’s Association Businessman of the Year for 2007. Dr. Wagner is survived by his wife, Joan; three sons; and four daughters. 


Stanley R. Waters
Dr. Waters (MIN ’76), 60, Hugo, Minn., died Aug. 10, 2007. He was a partner at Stillwater Veterinary Clinic in Stillwater, where he practiced for more than 30 years. Dr. Waters is survived by his wife, Claudia, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Helping Paws, P.O. Box 634, Hopkins, MN 55343.

 
James F. Wright
Dr. Wright (UP ’51), 83, Raleigh, N.C., died Jan. 10, 2008. From 1984-2004, he served as a pathologist and consulting clinical veterinarian at the North Carolina Zoological Park in Asheboro. Following graduation, Dr. Wright practiced mixed animal medicine in Lawrenceville, N.J., for two years. He next worked as veterinarian-in-charge at the Department of Agriculture’s Animal Disease Laboratory on Plum Island, N.Y. From 1957-1962, Dr. Wright served as veterinarian at the National Zoological Park in Washington, D.C. As a commissioned officer in the U.S. Public Health Service, Dr. Wright then worked on projects for the Air Force, first at the Primate Laboratory in Texas and, later, at the Yerkes Regional Primate Research Center in Atlanta.

From 1965-1969, he was assigned to the radiobiology laboratory of the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, under a cooperative agreement with the U.S. Atomic Energy Commission. Dr. Wright next served as section chief and pathologist at the USPHS Bureau of Radiological Health, Research Branch, Toxicologic Studies Section. From 1973-1982, he was detailed to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency as section chief and pathologist in the Health Effects Research Laboratory. Dr. Wright later served on the veterinary faculty of North Carolina State University, first as visiting associate professor and, later, as adjunct associate professor in the Department of Microbiology, Parasitology, and Pathology at the College of Veterinary Medicine. 


He was a member of the North Carolina VMA, American Association of Zoo Veterinarians, Wildlife Disease Association, American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, Society of Toxicologic Pathologists, and American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums. Dr. Wright received the USPHS Commendation Medal in 1979. He served in the Army Air Corps during World War II in the Pacific Theatre. Dr. Wright’s wife, Helen; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation by going to www.pdf.org and selecting “Memorial Donations” under the section “Giving to PDF”; or sending to the Parkinson’s Disease Foundation, 1359 Broadway, Suite 1509, New York, NY 10018.