Posted Dec. 15, 2007
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Warren E. Buhler
Dr. Buhler (OSU ’49), 86, Rushville, Ind., died Aug. 20, 2007. From 1980-2003, he served as area veterinarian for the Indiana State Board of Animal Health. Earlier in his career, Dr. Buhler owned Buhler Veterinary Hospital in Rushville for 30 years. He was a life member of the Indiana VMA.
Dr. Buhler served in the Army during World War II, earning the Distinguished Flying Cross, Bronze Star, and Air Medal. He later served as chief of U.S. veterinary services in Vietnam during the war. Dr. Buhler spent 39 years in the Reserve and retired as a colonel from the Army Air Corps. He was a member of the American Legion and Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Active in civic life, Dr. Buhler was a board member of the Rush Memorial Hospital and Rush County Economic & Community Development Corporation, and served as a county commissioner from 1988-2000. He was also a past president of the Rushville Lions Club.
Dr. Buhler’s wife, Beverly; two daughters; two sons; two stepdaughters; and two stepsons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice of Decatur County, 1201 N. Lincoln, Greensburg, IN 47240; Rushville Animal Shelter, 223 Smiley Ave., Rushville, IN 46173; or Voice for Christ, 1024 S. Old 3, P.O. Box 394, Rushville, IN 46173.
Leland E. Griffith
Dr. Griffith (GA ’51), 84, Nashville, Tenn., died May 22, 2007. From 1955 until retirement in 1984, he owned Griffith Animal Hospital in Nashville. Dr. Griffith was a member of the Tennessee VMA, American Animal Hospital Association, and Davidson County Academy of Veterinary Medicine. He served in the Navy during World War II. Dr. Griffith’s wife, Florence; a son; and two daughters survive him. His brother, Dr. Benard O. Griffith (GA ’56), is a veterinarian in Franklin, Tenn.
Charley P. Grissom
Dr. Grissom (AUB ’57), 79, Tupelo, Miss., died May 13, 2007. Prior to retirement, he worked for the Department of Agriculture for 39 years. During that time, Dr. Grissom served as a veterinary medical officer and as the USDA expert in postmortem for the Southeast. He also served on the national panel reviewing plant processes and setting new standards for the meatpacking industry as well as creating training programs and materials for the USDA Training Center in Denton, Texas.
Dr. Grissom was a life member of the Mississippi VMA. His wife, Imogene, and four daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church Building Fund, 412 W. Main St., Tupelo, MS 38804.
Duane E. Huwe
Dr. Huwe (MIN ’61), 75, Morton, Ill., died May 10, 2007. He practiced in Morton and East Peoria, Ill., for 44 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Huwe practiced in Skokie, Ill. He was an associate member of the American Animal Hospital Association and a member of the Illinois State VMA, Chicago VMA, Illinois Valley Kennel Club, and Peoria Animal Services. Dr. Huwe was also a member of the East Peoria Chamber of Commerce and the Morton Rotary Club. His son and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Glad Tidings Assembly of God Church, 2201 Washington St., East Peoria, IL 61611.
Gordon H. Keown
Dr. Keown (ONT ’34), 95, Los Gatos, Calif., died May 12, 2007. He retired from the Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine as professor of veterinary clinical medicine and surgery in 1976. Before joining the faculty at WSU in 1949, Dr. Keown practiced in Canada and the state of Washington. He was a charter diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, serving on its board of regents from 1966-1970 and examination committee from 1973-1976. Dr. Keown was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and the Washington State VMA. His son and daughter survive him.
Dr. Krawitz (UP ’39), 91, Coatesville, Pa., died May 12, 2007. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Ophthalmologists, he owned West Park Animal Hospital in West Philadelphia until 1991. Dr. Krawitz was a past president of the American Society of Veterinary Ophthalmology and a member of the Pennsylvania VMA.
An accomplished clarinetist, saxophonist, and organist, he was honored by the PVMA in 1995 with the Outstanding Public Service Award for using his musical talents to provide entertainment at senior citizen recreation centers, churches, hospitals, nursing homes, and retirement facilities. Dr. Krawitz served in the Army during World War II in the China-Burma-India theatre. His daughter and two sons survive him.
Dr. Levy (TEX ’41), 92, Austin, Texas, died May 5, 2007.
Philip R. Lucas
Dr. Lucas (MIN ’65), 70, Parker, Colo., died July 21, 2007. He co-owned Hoffman Heights Veterinary Clinic in Aurora, Colo., with his wife, Dr. Edith A. Lucas (MIN ’65), for 25 years. Dr. Lucas was a member of the Denver Area VMS. His wife; a son; and four daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, 5613 DTC Parkway, Suite 810, Greenwood Village, CO 80111.
Ms. Mangi (MIN ’11), 25, Arlington Heights, Ill., died Aug. 19, 2007. She was a member of the University of Minnesota student chapter of the AVMA. Memorials may be made to the Anti-Cruelty Society, 157 W. Grand Ave., Chicago, IL 60610; or Susan B. Komen for the Cure (for breast cancer), 5005 LBJ Freeway, Suite 250, Dallas, TX 75244.
John H. Nelson
Dr. Nelson (COR ’66), 66, Jamestown, N.Y., died Oct. 15, 2007. He owned Busti Veterinary Hospital in Jamestown for 38 years. Dr. Nelson was a member of the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, New York State VMS, and Chautauqua VMS. Active in civic life, he was also a member of the Busti Fire Department and a past president of the Jamestown Lions Club.
Dr. Nelson’s son and daughter survive him. His brother, Dr. Carl D. Nelson (COR ’59), is a veterinarian in Keene, N.H. Memorials toward the Chautauqua County VMS Scholarship Fund or the Dr. John H. and Susan Nelson Scholarship Fund may be made to the Chautauqua Region Community Foundation, 418 Spring St., Jamestown, NY 14701.
Susan M. Saliga
Dr. Saliga (OSU ’82), 51, Rahway, N.J., died Sept. 25, 2007. Following graduation, she practiced at Cranbury Veterinary Hospital in Cranbury, N.J. From 1983-1984, Dr. Saliga served as an associate pathologist at Ciba-Geigy Corporation in Summit, N.J. She then managed animal research support for American Cyanamid in Pearl River, N.Y. Later in her career, Dr. Saliga was director of animal research for Carter-Wallace Pharmaceuticals of Cranbury.
She volunteered with the Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at Rahway, Arts Guild of Rahway, Deborah Heart and Lung Center, Rahway Public Library, and Union County Performing Arts Center. Memorials may be made to the RWJUH at Rahway, 865 Stone St., Rahway, NJ 07065; or Union County Performing Arts Center, 1601 Irving St., Rahway, NJ 07065.