Posted Oct. 15, 2007
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Elmer A. Barce
Dr. Barce (OKL ’54), 83, Randolph, Mass., died July 24, 2007. He owned Dr. Barce’s Animal Hospital in Randolph from 1956-1994. Dr. Barce was a member of the Massachusetts VMA. He served in the Army Air Force from 1943-1946. Dr. Barce’s wife, Irma, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Angell Animal Medical Center, Pet Adoption Program, 350 S. Huntington Ave., Boston, MA 02130; or the Heart/Lung Transplant Fund, Division of Cardiology, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 75 Francis St., Boston, MA 02115.
Overton E. Hundley
Dr. Hundley (KSU ’52), 83, Johnson Lake, Neb., died Aug. 11, 2007. Prior to retirement, he owned a practice in Lexington, Neb. Dr. Hundley was a life member and past president of the Nebraska VMA. His wife, Mildred; a son; and a daughter survive him.
Alphonse J. Kunkel
Dr. Kunkel (MIN ’52), 79, Cold Spring, Minn., died Sept. 17, 2007. A past president of the Minnesota VMA, he owned a practice in St. Michael, Minn., for more than 25 years. During his career, Dr. Kunkel also visited farms in Poland and the former Soviet Union, helped establish a dairy industry in Guyana, and developed high-fiber feeding programs to increase production and improve herd health. He is survived by his wife, Joyce; three daughters; a son; five stepdaughters; and two stepsons.
William J. Quist
Dr. Quist (COL ’63), 75, Phoenix, died March 12, 2007. He practiced in the Phoenix area for more than 40 years. Dr. Quist was a life member and past vice president of the Arizona VMA. He served eight years as a commissioned officer in the Army National Guard.
Raymond R. Rediske
Dr. Rediske (WSU ’52), 82, Gold Beach, Ore., died July 19, 2007. He practiced in California and Oregon for more than 35 years. Dr. Rediske was a member of the California and Oregon VMAs. Active with the Rotary Club, he was a past president of the Novato (California) and Gold Beach clubs. Dr. Rediske’s wife, Margaret; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Rotary Club of Gold Beach, P.O. Box 1289, Gold Beach, OR 97444.
Fred J. Roberts
Dr. Roberts (COL ’55), 75, Denver, died June 22, 2007. He owned Roberts Animal Hospital in Denver for 31 years. Dr. Roberts was a member of the Colorado VMA and Denver Area VMS. He served in the Air Force from 1957-1959, attaining the rank of captain. Dr. Roberts is survived by his wife, Polly, and three sons. Memorials may be made to Sigma Alpha Epsilon Foundation, 35022 Eagle Way, Chicago, IL 60678; or The Denver Hospice, 501 S. Cherry St., #700, Denver, CO 80246.
Walter A. Schuehle
Dr. Schuehle (WSU ’42), 90, Watsonville, Calif., died April 25, 2007. He owned The Pet Care Center in Seattle for more than 30 years. Dr. Schuehle’s wife, Alma, survives him.
Charles B. Schwab
Dr. Schwab (KSU ’44), 85, Fairbury, Neb., died Aug. 9, 2007. He owned a practice in Fairbury since 1946. Prior to that, Dr. Schwab served in the Army Counter Intelligence Corps for two years in Europe. A past president of the Nebraska VMA, Dr. Schwab was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1969.
He was past mayor of Fairbury and past president of the Fairbury Chamber of Commerce, and served on the city council and board of education. Active with the Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts programs, Dr. Schwab served as a scoutmaster for 17 years and received the Silver Beaver Award from the Boy Scouts for service to youth. A member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars, he was the recipient of its citizenship award for youth activities.
Dr. Schwab’s son, daughter, and two stepsons survive him.
Victor M. Shille
Dr. Shille (CAL ’58), 74, Gainesville, Fla., died Sept. 9, 2007. Editor-in-chief of the journal Theriogenology from 1980-2003, he was professor emeritus at the University of Florida College of Veterinary Medicine. During his tenure at the University of Florida, Dr. Shille developed a comprehensive didactic and clinical program in small animal reproduction. Early in his career, he owned a small animal practice in Santa Ana, Calif.
Dr. Shille received the Carl J. Norden Distinguished Teacher Award in 1991 and the Society for Theriogenology/American College of Theriogenologists Dave E. Bartlett Award for career contributions in 1992. He was also the recipient of the International Embryo Transfer Society’s Distinguished Service Award in 2006. Dr. Shille’s wife, Patricia, and three sons survive him.
Memorials may be made to the National Parkinson Foundation Inc., Office of Development, 1501 N.W. 9th Ave., Bob Hope Road, Miami, FL 33136; or University of Florida Foundation Inc. (in support of the development of the Visual Guide to Feline Reproduction and the Visual Guide to Canine Reproduction), P.O. Box 14425, Gainesville, FL 32604.
Harold M.S. Smith
Dr. Smith (UP ’43), 88, Milford, N.J., died July 5, 2007. Following graduation, he founded a practice in East Hanover, N.J., focusing on small animal and equine medicine. In 1982, Dr. Smith was joined by his daughter, Dr. Suzanne J. Smith (UP ’82), and the practice moved to Milford, where it continues as the Spring Mills Veterinary Hospital. Dr. Smith served as veterinarian for the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals from 1948-1970 and as its president from 1952-1963. He also served as chief veterinarian for the annual Far Hills Races for more than 55 years.
Dr. Smith co-founded the New Jersey Equine Medical Association, founded and served as chair of the Hanover Horse Show, and consulted for the New Jersey Thoroughbred Horse Breeders Association. He was a past member of the New Jersey Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners, past president of the New Jersey VMA, founding member and past president of the Metropolitan New Jersey VMA, and member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners. In 1988, Dr. Smith received an Alumni Award of Merit from the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.
Active in civic life, he served as mayor of East Hanover, chaired the Holland Township Board of Adjustment, and was a member of the Holland Township Historical Society. Dr. Smith is survived by his wife, Constance; his daughter; and two sons. Memorials may be made to the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine, Office of Development and Alumni Relations, 3800 Spruce St., Philadelphia, PA 19104; or the Milford-Holland Rescue Squad, P.O. Box 251, Milford, NJ 08848.
Weaver M. Williamson
Dr. Williamson (OSU ’54), 79, Hillsboro, Ohio, died Aug. 17, 2007. He retired in 1975 after more than 20 years as veterinarian for the Brookfield Zoo in Brookfield, Ill. A past president of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians, Dr. Williamson was a life member of the Ohio VMA and a member of the Illinois State VMA, American Association of Zoological Parks and Aquariums, American Institute of Park Executives, and Chicago Medical Mycological Society. His wife, Nellie, and a daughter survive him.