October 01, 2007

 

 Obituaries - October 1, 2007

posted September 15, 2007

AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember

Wilton E. Blake
Dr. Blake (AUB ’50), 86, Fayetteville, Ga., died May 1, 2007. He owned Blake Dog and Cat Hospital in Tampa, Fla., from 1950-1981. Dr. Blake was a member of the Florida VMA. During World War II, he served in General Patton’s 3rd Army 69th Medical Group. A member of Phi Zeta, Dr. Blake received the Borden Award from Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine for scholastic achievement in 1949. His son and daughter survive him. 
 

John D. DeMattei
Dr. DeMattei (WSU ’41), 91, San Jose, Calif., died July 2, 2007. He retired in 1976 from the California Department of Food and Agriculture as veterinarian in charge of 13 coastal counties. Earlier, Dr. DeMattei served as district veterinarian in San Francisco. Following graduation, he worked as a meat inspector for the Department of Agriculture in Los Angeles.
During World War II, Dr. DeMattei served as commanding officer of the 89th veterinary medical detachment. His son and daughter survive him.


Dale A. Graber
Dr. Graber (OSU ’51), 85, Toledo, Ohio, died June 23, 2007. He founded Graber Animal Hospital in Toledo in 1952, practicing there until retirement in the mid-90s. Following graduation, Dr. Graber briefly practiced large animal medicine in Lubbock, Texas, before moving to Ohio. During his career, he also served as veterinarian for the Toledo Area Humane Society and twice served as president of the Toledo VMA. 


Dr. Graber is survived by two sons and two daughters. Two of them, Drs. Cathy L. Graber (OSU ’77) and Steven A. Graber (OSU ’85), co-own Graber Animal Hospital. His granddaughter, Dr. Angela Tuckerman (OSU ’05), is a veterinarian in Baltimore. Memorials may be made to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 601 Vernon Tharp St., Columbus, OH 43210; Epworth United Methodist Church, 3077 Valleyview Drive, Toledo, OH 43615; or Hospice of Northwest Ohio, 30000 E. River Road, Perrysburg, OH 43551.


Robert T. Henry Jr.
Dr. Henry (UP ’50), 88, Woodstown, N.J., died June 20, 2007. Prior to retirement, he worked for Merck Sharp & Dohme, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia, and Coriell Institute for Medical Research in Camden, N.J. Earlier in his career, Dr. Henry was in mixed animal practice at Quakertown Animal Hospital in Quakertown, Pa.  He was a Navy veteran of World War II, attaining the rank of lieutenant. Dr. Henry received the Purple Heart, American Campaign, European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign with three stars, and World War II Victory medals. Dr. Henry’s wife, Evelyn; three daughters; and a son survive him. 


Jack C. Mitchell
Dr. Mitchell (FL ’99), 37, Delray Beach, Fla., died Aug. 16, 2007. Following graduation, he joined VCA Spanish River Animal Hospital in Boca Raton, Fla., serving as medical director since 2004. Memorials may be made to the University of Florida Foundation Inc., Office of Development & Alumni Affairs, College of Veterinary Medicine, P.O. Box 100125, Gainesville, FL 32610. 


Theodore A. Rude Jr.
Dr. Rude (UP ’52), 82, Hudson, Wis., died June 28, 2007. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, he owned Veterinary Consulting Services in Hudson from 1985 until retirement in 2003. Following graduation, Dr. Rude was a partner in a practice at Collinsville, Okla. He then served briefly as field veterinarian for the Wisconsin State Department of Agriculture. Dr. Rude went on to establish two practices in Wisconsin at Spring Green and Stoughton.

From 1959-1963, he supervised the Central Animal Diagnostic Laboratory for the WSDA in Madison. Dr. Rude joined Salsbury Laboratories in Charles City, Iowa, as a pathologist in 1963. He later served as manager of the laboratory’s biological development department. In 1973, Dr. Rude was named general manager and vice president of Fromm Laboratories Inc., in Grafton, Wis. He returned to Salsbury Laboratories in 1983 for two years, before moving to Hudson.


Dr. Rude was an Army veteran of World War II. His wife, Patricia; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Christian Community Home, 1329 Wisconsin St., Hudson, WI 54016.


Mary K. Schlangen
Dr. Schlangen (MIN ’98), 35, Two Harbors, Minn., died Aug. 10, 2007. She was an associate veterinarian at Grand Avenue Veterinary Clinic in Duluth, Minn. Following graduation, Dr. Schlangen practiced at Douglas County Animal Hospital in Alexandria, Minn., for five years. In 2005, she won a Northeastern Minnesota Book Award for writing and illustrating “Zoe’s Good-bye,” a book to help children cope with the loss of a pet.


Dr. Schlangen is survived by her husband, Mark, and two children. Memorials may be made to the Mary Schlangen Family Trust Fund, Wells Fargo Bank, 622 1st Ave., Two Harbors, MN 55616.

Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF, Department 20-1122, P.O. Box 5940, Carol Stream, IL 60197-5940 www.avmf.org