AVMA Honor Roll Member
Harold L. Decker
Dr. Decker (MSU ’36), 92, Sebring, Fla., died March 4, 2007. He was track veterinarian at Suffolk Downs Racetrack in Massachusetts from 1978-1988. Following graduation, Dr. Decker served in the Army for 30 years, attaining the rank of colonel. He also practiced in Florida during his career.
A member of the American Legion and the Reserve Officers Association, Dr. Decker received a Bronze Star for his Army service. His wife, Adeline; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Spring Lake Presbyterian Church Lets Be Alive Fund, 5887 US Highway 98, Sebring, FL 33876.
Roger F. Hagedorn
Dr. Hagedorn (ISU ’53), 77, St. Charles, Mo., died July 14, 2007. During his 50-year career, he owned practices in Iowa and Florida, and served as a relief veterinarian in Arkansas and Missouri. Dr. Hagedorn’s son and three daughters survive him. His son, Dr. James Hagedorn (ISU ’79), practices in Evanston, Ill. Memorials may be made to the Companion Animal Fund, College of Veterinary Medicine, Iowa State University, 1600 S. 16th St., Ames, IA 50011.
Elizabeth K. Jemelka
Dr. Jemelka (TEX ’00), 34, Madisonville, Texas, died June 6, 2007. She owned Rafter J Veterinary Clinic in Madisonville. Dr. Jemelka was a member of the Texas VMA. Her four daughters survive her. Dr. Jemelka’s father, Dr. E.D. Jemelka (TEX ’67), is a veterinarian in Centralia, Wash.
Arthur H. McArthur
Dr. McArthur (AUB ’69), 64, Kingston, Tenn., died Jan. 4, 2007. He practiced in Oak Ridge, Tenn., for 33 years. Dr. McArthur was a member of the Tennessee VMA and past president of the East Tennessee VMA. His wife, Anne, and three children survive him.
Vaughn W. Morrison
Dr. Morrison (OSU ’52), 94, Greensburg, Ind., died April 1, 2007. Prior to retirement, he worked for the Department of Agriculture. Earlier in his career, Dr. Morrison practiced in Ohio and Indiana. His son survives him.
Norman O. Olson
Dr. Olson (WSU ’38), 93, Oxford, N.C., died June 29, 2007. He was professor emeritus of animal pathology at West Virginia University since 1981. Following graduation, Dr. Olson worked for the Department of Agriculture in Idaho, Washington D.C., and Maryland. During that time, he was involved with brucellosis erad¬ication, drug testing, and disease identification and eradication, particularly in poultry.
In 1948, Dr. Olson joined the faculty of WVU, where he developed a control program for Newcastle disease in the state. He played a vital role in discovering and helping to eradicate avian diseases such as quail bronchitis, infectious synovitis, and avian viral arthritis. Dr. Olson also conducted research on infectious agents of cattle and sheep. From 1958-1965, he consulted with the Poultry Inspection Service in Washington, D.C. Dr. Olson served as a visiting professor at Louisiana State University from 1979-1981.
A past president of the West Virginia VMA, he was a member of the United States Animal Health Association, American Assoc-iation of Veterinary Laboratory Diagnosticians, American Assoc¬iation of Avian Pathologists, and World Veterinary Poultry As¬sociation. In 1972, Dr. Olson received the American Feed Man¬ufacturers Association Award, in recognition of his research con¬tributions. He was the recipient of the 1976 AAAP Upjohn Achievement Award for his research accomplishments.
Dr. Olson’s two sons and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer’s Association, 225 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1700, Chicago, IL 60601; or American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368.
Chester W. Paulus III
Dr. Paulus (OSU ’79), 53, North Brunswick, N.J., died Jan. 12, 2007. He was a partner at Paulus Animal Hospital in North Brunswick. Dr. Paulus was a member of the New Jersey VMA. His father, Dr. Chester W. Paulus Jr. (OSU ’51), owns Paulus Animal Hospital.
Vincent G. Pedroia
Dr. Pedroia (CAL ’71), 60, Occidental, Calif., died May 29, 2007. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine (neur¬ology), he was a veterinary neurologist at Animal Care Center of Sonomo County in Rohnert Park, Calif., since 1988. Dr. Pedroia also served as medical director of the center and a member of the board of directors for several years, and was a founding director of the Animal Care Center Foundation.
Earlier in his career, Dr. Pedroia practiced small animal medicine in Sebastopol, Calif.; served as an adjunct instructor in anatomy at the University of California-Davis; and owned a neurology referral practice in California at Sacramento and Berkeley. His wife, Trisha; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Animal Care Center Foundation & Community Foundation Sonoma County, 250 D St., Suite 205, Santa Rosa, CA 95404.
Philip K. St. John
Dr. St. John (ONT ’79), 53, Welland, Ontario, Canada, died Jan. 12, 2007.
Willard M. Strawn
Dr. Strawn (OSU ’39), 92, Denham Springs, La., died June 15, 2007. Retired since 1998, he owned a practice in Walker, La. During his career, Dr. Strawn also practiced in Toledo, Ohio. He was an honorary member of the Louisiana VMA and a member of the Florida Parishes Veterinary Association.
A veteran of World War II, Dr. Strawn served as a major in the Army Veterinary Corps. He later served as a lieutenant colonel in the Army Reserve. Dr. Strawn was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars. His wife, Laura, and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
Allan L. Trapp
Dr. Trapp (MSU ’56), 74, Lansing, Mich., died May 15, 2007. He was a professor of veterinary pathology at Michigan State University’s Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health, retiring as professor emeritus in 1992. Dr. Trapp served as a member of the board of directors of the Detroit Zoo. In 1972, he chaired the North Central Poultry Disease Conference.
Dr. Trapp’s wife, Joyce; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health, Michigan State University, Lansing, MI 48824.