Anthony J. Ackerman
Dr. Ackerman (COR ’41), 87, Carmel, N.Y., died Oct. 29, 2006. Prior to retirement in 1975, he owned a small animal practice in Jackson Heights, N.Y. Early in his career, Dr. Ackerman practiced in New York City for three years. He is survived by a son and a daughter. Dr. Ackerman’s son, Dr. Frederick A. Ackerman (COR ’68), is a veterinarian in Jackson Heights.
Donald V. Benson
Dr. Benson (ISU ’45), 90, Fayette, Mo., died Feb. 14, 2007. From 1953 until retirement in 1977, he owned a practice in Fayette. In retirement, Dr. Benson served as a federal meat inspector. Early in his career, he practiced in Burlington, Iowa, for two years and served as assistant professor of veterinary medicine at Oklahoma State University and the University of Missouri-Columbia. Dr. Benson was a member of the Missouri VMA. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Army.
Dr. Benson was a member of the Fayette Rotary Club, served on the board of directors of the Fayette Public Library, and volunteered with the Fayette Caring Center’s meals-on-wheels program. His three daughters survive him. Memorials toward Endless Options or Fayette Public Library may be made c/o Friemonth-Freese Funeral Service, 174 Highway 5 & 240, Fayette, MO 65248.
William D. Blaine
Dr. Blaine (SM ’46), 86, Bloomington, Minn., died Oct. 9, 2006.
Donald E. Caswell
Dr. Caswell (MSU ’43), 85, Hillsdale, Mich., died Dec. 4, 2006. Prior to retirement in 1987, he practiced in North Adams, Mich., for 40 years. Dr. Caswell was a member of the Michigan VMA. An Army veteran of World War II, he was also a member of the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Active in civic life, Dr. Caswell was a past president of the North Adams Village Council. He also served as village street commissioner and as a member of the school board. Dr. Caswell’s wife, Eleanor, and two sons survive him. Memorials toward a scholarship fund benefiting North Adams graduates may be made to Hillsdale County Community Foundation, 52 E. Bacon St., Hillsdale, MI 49242.
Walter E. Crenshaw
Dr. Crenshaw (TEX ’46), 83, College Station, Texas, died March 5, 2007. He was associate professor emeritus of veterinary small animal medicine and surgery at the Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences since 1993. Prior to joining the university’s veterinary faculty in 1971, Dr. Crenshaw owned a practice in Weslaco, Texas, for 23 years.
He served as president of the Texas VMA in 1961 and was a past member of its historical committee. Dr. Crenshaw also served on the TAMU-CVM Selection Committee. His wife, Gloria; a son; a daughter; three stepsons; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the A&M Church of Christ, 2475 Earl Rudder Freeway S., College Station, TX 77845; or College Station Noon Lions, Lonestar Eye Bank, P.O. Box 347, Manor, TX 78653.
Clement C. Darrow II
Dr. Darrow (KSU ’59), 71, Vero Beach, Fla., died March 3, 2007. A relief veterinarian, he previously owned a mixed practice in Vero Beach. Following graduation and until 1965, Dr. Darrow worked for the Department of Agriculture in Missouri. He then joined Litton Bionetics in Maryland, helping to establish a primate breeding facility in Yamassee, S.C., for the company. Dr. Darrow next worked for the Lederle Corporation in New York. He moved to Vero Beach in 1983. Dr. Darrow was a diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine and a member of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. He is survived by a daughter and two sons. Dr. Darrow’s daughter and son-in-law, Drs. Shelli L. Skeels (KSU ’85) and Mark N. Skeels (KSU ’86), are veterinarians in New Jersey.
Lauretta M. Dennis
Dr. Dennis (OSU ’49), 82, Cleveland, died Feb. 8, 2007. Prior to retirement in 1990, she owned Detroit Dover Animal Hospital in Westlake, Ohio. Earlier in her career, Dr. Dennis practiced at the Roberts & Wendt Animal Hospital in Lakewood, Ohio. A past board of trustees member of the Cleveland Botanical Garden, she was active with the Western Reserve Herb Society and volunteered at the Cleveland Art Museum.
Memorials may be made to the Western Reserve Herb Society, c/o Shirley Ricketts, 2922 Somerton Road, Cleveland Heights, OH 44118; Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd., Cleveland, OH 44106; or Cleveland Animal Protective League, 1729 Willey Ave., Cleveland, OH 44113.
Robert H. Haight
Dr. Haight (TEX ’43), 89, Napa, Calif., died Nov. 18, 2006. From 1960 until retirement in 1985, he was director of veterinary public health in Orange County, California. Following graduation, Dr. Haight served in the Army as a 1st lieutenant during World War II. After his service, he practiced in California’s San Gabriel Valley. From 1948-1960, Dr. Haight worked for the Los Angeles County Livestock Department. He retired from the Army Reserve as a colonel in 1977.
Dr. Haight was a member of the California and Southern California VMAs. He received a Samuel J. Crumbine Award Medallion for developing a comprehensive program of environmental sanitation in 1964 and the Silver Beaver Award of the local council of Boy Scouts of America in 1975. Dr. Haight’s wife, Jean; two sons; and a daughter survive him.
Jean S. James
Dr. James (KSU ’60), 70, Hickory Corners, Mich., died Feb. 6, 2007. She practiced at Hickory Ridge Veterinary Services in Hickory Corners since 2002. Prior to that, Dr. James co-owned the James Animal Clinic at the same location with her husband, Dr. Frank B. James (KSU ’60), for 42 years. A member of the Michigan VMA, she served on its membership committee. Dr. James was also a member of the Southwestern Michigan VMA. Her husband; a son; and two daughters survive her. Memorials may be made to the Delton Women’s Center, 503 S. Grove, Delton, MI 49046.
John R. Jeffrey
Dr. Jeffrey (COR ’63), 73, Dalton, Mass., died Nov. 7, 2006. In 1979, he established Mountain Top Animal Hospital in Hensonville, N.Y., practicing there until 2006. Earlier in his career, Dr. Jeffrey owned Saugerties Animal Hospital in Saugerties, N.Y. He also owned a beef cattle farm. In 1968, Dr. Jeffrey published a clinical report in JAVMA describing diabetes mellitus secondary to chronic pancreatitis in a pony.
He founded the Mountain Top Friends of Animals Association and was a member of the New York State VMS and the Hudson Valley VMS. Dr. Jeffrey served in the Army. His two daughters and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Bluefields Children Scholarship Fund, c/o David Eton, 2685 E. Minnehaha Ave., Maplewood, MN 55119.
John H. Liggett
Dr. Liggett (OSU ’54), 78, Salem, Ohio, died Oct. 7, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned a mixed practice in Salem for more than 50 years. Dr. Liggett was a member and past trustee of the Ohio VMA. He served in the Air Force. Dr. Liggett’s wife, Joan, and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Cadiz Alumni Association Scholarship Fund, 242 S. Muskingum St., Cadiz, OH 43907; or Salem Community Foundation, 713 E. State St., Salem, OH 44460.
Dr. Lipman (COR ’43), 88, Hamden, Conn., died Feb. 21, 2007. From 1945 until retirement in 1980, he practiced in Hamden. During his career, Dr. Lipman also served 20 years as president of Marshall Laboratory, which produced vaccines for the poultry industry. He was a member of the Connecticut VMA and Veterinarians for Israel. Dr. Lipman’s wife, Muriel, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to South Asia Pure Water Initiative Inc., 2832 Whitney Ave., Hamden, CT 06518.
Gordon A. MacInnis
Dr. MacInnis (OSU ’50), 84, Blacksburg, Va., died Dec. 18, 2006. A charter faculty member of the Virginia-Maryland Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, he retired from the Department of Large Animal Clinical Sciences in 1983 after more than 20 years of service with the college. Before joining Virginia Tech as extension veterinarian in 1962, Dr. MacInnis practiced in Ohio at Wooster and Millersburg, and served on the faculties of Washington State University and the University of Idaho.
He was a past president of the American Association of Extension Veterinarians. A veteran of World War II, Dr. MacInnis served in the European theater with the infantry. His wife, Eleanor; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Alpha Gamma Rho Alumni Corporation of Virginia (MacInnis memorial), P.O. Box 11055, Blacksburg, VA 24062.
Samuel R. Monroe Jr.
Dr. Monroe (AUB ’54), 83, Auburn, Ala., died Dec. 11, 2006. Retired since 1994, he owned a small animal practice in Pensacola, Fla. Earlier in his career, Dr. Monroe owned a practice in Gadsden, Ala., for eight years. During that time, he served as editor of The Alabama Veterinarian. Dr. Monroe was a past president of the World Mariculture Society and farmed the sea in Pensacola and Key West, Fla., for several years, working with oysters and pompanos.
An infantry veteran of World War II, he received a Purple Heart for his service. Dr. Monroe’s wife, Virginia; a son; and a daughter survive him.
Samuel H. Moser
Dr. Moser (UP ’39), 89, Myerstown, Pa., died Jan. 11, 2007. He retired from the Department of Agriculture in 1984 as a foreign programs veterinary staff officer. Prior to joining the USDA in 1962, Dr. Moser owned a large animal practice in Mohrsville, Pa. He was a member of the Pennsylvania VMA. Dr. Moser’s wife, Arlene, and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to ECC Retirement Village, 440 E. Lincoln Ave., Myerstown, PA 17067.
Donald L. Moyer
Dr. Moyer (WSU ’42), 88, Milwaukie, Ore., died Feb. 5, 2007. He co-founded the Willamette Dog and Cat Hospital in Milwaukie. Dr. Moyer was a past member of the Oregon Veterinary Medical Examining Board. He is survived by three daughters and a son. Memorials may be made to St. John the Evangelist, 2036 S.E. Jefferson St., Milwaukie, OR 97222.
Dale E. Schneider
Dr. Schneider (OSU ’50), 87, Canton, Ohio, died Nov. 27, 2006. Prior to retirement, he practiced in Canton. Dr. Schneider was a member of the Ohio VMA and the Stark County Academy of Veterinary Medicine. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Army Air Corps. Dr. Schneider was a past president of the Canton Kiwanis Club. His two sons survive him. One son, Dr. Tod E. Schneider (OSU ’76), is a veterinarian in Canton. Memorials may be made to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1480 W. Lane Ave., Columbus, OH 43221.
Robert D. Schupbach
Dr. Schupbach (KSU ’50), 87, Denver, died Dec. 31, 2006. Prior to retirement, he worked 30 years as a federal meat inspector for the Department of Agriculture. Dr. Schupbach was an Army veteran of World War II. His two daughters survive him. Dr. Schupbach’s nephew, Dr. Theodore A. Schupbach (OKL ’77), is a veterinarian in Taos, N.M. Memorials may be made to Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Attn: Chris Gruber, 103 Trotter Hall, Manhattan, KS 66506.
Glenn L. Waxler
Dr. Waxler (IL ’53), 82, Haslett, Mich., died March 3, 2007. He was professor emeritus at Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine since 1990. Following graduation, Dr. Waxler practiced in Olney, Ill., for four years. He joined the veterinary faculty of MSU in 1961, becoming a professor in 1966.
A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, Dr. Waxler was known for his work on germ-free swine and his research on neonatal enteric diseases in swine. He was a leader in the North Central Technical Committee for the Prevention and Control of Enteric Diseases of Swine. In 1987, Dr. Waxler received an Honorary Alumnus Award from the MSU College of Veterinary Medicine.
His wife, Gwen, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to University United Methodist Church, 1120 S. Harrison, East Lansing, MI 48823; The Alzheimer’s Association, 107 Aprill Drive, Suite 1, Ann Arbor, MI 48103; or Hospice of Lansing, 6035 Executive Drive, Suite 103, Lansing, MI 48911.