posted April 15, 2007
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Donn I. Blevins
Dr. Blevins (MO ’64), 73, Warrensburg, Mo., died Feb. 2, 2007. A relief veterinarian in the Warrensburg area, he owned a mixed practice in St. James, Mo., for several years. Early in his career, Dr. Blevins served as a staff veterinarian and research scientist for the Upjohn Company in Kalamazoo, Mich., and as professional services veterinarian for the Bayvet Division of Cutter Laboratories Inc. in Shawnee, Kan.
Dr. Blevins was a member of the Missouri VMA. He is survived by his wife, Sally; a son; and four daughters. Memorials toward an educational fund for his grandchildren may be made to First Central Bank, 401 N. Maguire St., Warrensburg, MO 64093.
John G. Boetger
Dr. Boetger (COL ’51), 83, Cameron Park, Calif., died Dec. 23, 2006. He practiced at Cameron Park Veterinary Hospital from 1974-1985. Prior to that, Dr. Boetger practiced at Santa Cruz Veterinary Hospital in Santa Cruz, Calif. A past president of the Monterey Bay VMA, he was a member of the California VMA and helped establish the Santa Cruz VA. A World War II veteran, Dr. Boetger served in the Army Veterinary Corps. He attained the rank of 2nd lieutenant. Dr. Boetger’s wife, Sally; three daughters; and a son survive him.
Burson G. Busset
Dr. Busset (KSU ’43), 93, Lee’s Summit, Mo., died Jan. 27, 2007. Prior to retirement in 1998, he was a large animal practitioner in Jacksonville, Mo. From 1944-1951, Dr. Busset practiced in Bremerton, Wash. Before that, he practiced in Adair, Iowa. His wife, Ethel, and a daughter survive him.
Ray G. Cheezig
Dr. Cheezig (COL ’49), 86, South St. Paul, Minn., died Jan. 29, 2007. From 1964 until retirement in 1980, he worked for the Department of Agriculture as a meat inspector. Prior to that, Dr. Cheezig was in poultry inspection. Early in his career, he practiced in Paynesville, Minn. Dr. Cheezig served as a staff sergeant in the Army during World War II. His wife, Jean, survives him.
John R. Hart
Dr. Hart (AUB ’61), 73, Carlsbad, Calif., died Jan. 18, 2007. Retired since 2005, he owned Bay Pet Hospital and Marina Pet Hospital in California at Monterey and Marina. Dr. Hart is survived by his wife, Gwendolyn; a son; and a daughter. His son and daughter-in-law, Drs. John R. Hart (AUB ’88) and Rachel Hart (CAL ’97), are veterinarians in San Diego and Carlsbad, respectively. Memorials (notated in Dr. Hart’s name) may be made to Vitas Charitable Fund, 9655 Granite Ridge Drive, San Diego, CA 92123.
Dennis R. Hranitzky
Dr. Hranitzky (TEX ’52), 79, Grapevine, Texas, died Sept. 3, 2006.
Junior C. Hubbs
Dr. Hubbs (KSU ’47), 80, Fort Smith, Ark., died Feb. 23, 2007. He retired in 1997 from Hubbs Animal Clinic, a practice he established in Van Buren, Ark., in 1962. From 1953-1962, Dr. Hubbs practiced in Fort Smith. Early in his career, he practiced in Kansas at Dorrance and Salina. A past president of the Arkansas VMA, Dr. Hubbs was named Veterinarian of the Year in 1973. He was a member of the Fort Smith Area VA and the Crawford County Cattlemen’s Association.
Dr. Hubbs is survived by his wife, Jacki; a daughter; and two sons. His son and brother, Drs. Randal L. Hubbs (KSU ’82) and Maurice L. Hubbs (KSU ’62), are veterinarians in Van Buren. Memorials may be made to St. Luke Lutheran Church, 5401 Free Ferry Road, Fort Smith, AR 72903.
Glenn F. Irwin
Dr. Irwin (OSU ’45), 84, Bellefontaine, Ohio, died Feb. 13, 2007. Retired since 2002, he was the founder of Irwin Animal Hospital in Bellefontaine. Dr. Irwin is survived by his wife, Ruth; a son; and three daughters. His son, Dr. Timothy C. Irwin (OSU ’81), practices at Irwin Animal Hospital. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, P.O. Box 163549, Columbus, OH 43216.
Dr. Leveson (COR ’42), 88, Niagara Falls, N.Y., died Feb. 8, 2007. From 1946 until retirement in 1986, he practiced at Leveson Veterinary Clinic in Niagara Falls. Earlier in his career, Dr. Leveson practiced in Akron, Ohio. He was a founding member of the Cornell Research Laboratory for Diseases of Dogs and a life member of the New York State VMS and the American Society for Veterinary Clinical Pathology. Dr. Leveson was also a life member of the Western New York VMS.
He served as president of the Niagara County VA for 25 years. Dr. Leveson also served on the NYSVMS Committee on Ethics and on the advisory board of the local branch of the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals. He was a volunteer adviser to the Niagara County Health Board and wrote a weekly column for the Buffalo News for more than seven years. Dr. Leveson received the Western New York VMS Service and Regional Merit awards.
His wife, Annabelle; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Temple Beth El, 720 Ashland Ave., Niagara Falls, NY 14301; or Roswell Park Alliance Foundation, P.O. Box 631, Buffalo, NY 14204.
Thomas F. Orchard Sr.
Dr. Orchard (COL ’54), 78, Bismarck, N.D., died Nov. 19, 2006. He retired in 1993 from Midway Veterinary Hospital and Clinic, a practice he co-founded in Bismarck in 1959. During his career, Dr. Orchard also served as veterinarian for the Dakota Zoo. A past president of the Dakota Zoological Society, he received the Dakota Zoo’s Buffalo Award for outstanding effort and achievement. Dr. Orchard was also a past president of the North Dakota Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners and the North Dakota VMA.
He was appointed to the Livestock Veterinary Board in 1961. From 1974-1976, Dr. Orchard served as North Dakota’s alternate delegate to the AVMA House of Delegates. In 1988, he was named NDVMA Veterinarian of the Year. Active in civic life, Dr. Orchard served on the executive committee of the Bismarck Chamber of Commerce and was a member of the Bismarck-Mandan Developmental Association. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army. Dr. Orchard was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion.
His wife, Ruth, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Dakota Zoo, c/o Terry Lincoln, Zoo Director, Box 711, Bismarck, ND 58502; North Dakota Cowboy Hall of Fame, 1110 College Drive, Suite 216, Bismarck, ND 58501; St. George’s Episcopal Church, c/o Father Mike Horn, P.O. Box 1241, 601 N. 4th St., Bismarck, ND 58502; or St. Alexius Foundation, c/o Wendy Jung, 900 E. Broadway, P.O. Box 5510, Bismarck, ND 58506.
Dr. Rosenberg (UP ’35), 96, Abington, Pa., died Nov. 25, 2006. Prior to retirement in 1980, he owned a small animal practice in Rosyln, Pa., for 40 years. Dr. Rosenberg invented and manufactured the Elsam Lift Table, used in veterinary practices. He was a past president of the Glenside (Pennsylvania) Rotary Club. Dr. Rosenberg’s wife, Jean; two sons; and a daughter survive him.