AVMA Honor Roll Member
Walter B. Crowl
Dr. Crowl (WSU ’43), 89, Twentynine Palms, Calif., died Dec. 14, 2006. Prior to retirement in 1989, he owned a practice in Borrego Springs, Calif. In 1954, Dr. Crowl established the High Desert Animal Hospital in Twentynine Palms, practicing there until 1975. Earlier in his career, he practiced in Hollywood, Calif., and worked at the California Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in San Gabriel.
Dr. Crowl served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1943-1946, retiring as a major in the Reserve. He was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Crowl served as president of the Twentynine Palms Chamber of Commerce from 1955-1956. He is survived by two sons. Dr. Crowl’s cousin, Dr. James L. Bittle (CAL ’53), is a veterinarian in San Diego.
Howard D. Eikenberry
Dr. Eikenberry (COL ’67), 67, Denver, died Nov. 21, 2006. Prior to retirement, he co-owned Belcaro Animal Hospital in Denver for 37 years. Dr. Eikenberry’s wife, Linda; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 2255 S. Oneida St., Denver, CO 80224; or Trout Unlimited, 1320 Pearl St., Suite 320, Boulder, CO 80302.
Edward O. Franklin
Dr. Franklin (AUB ’61), 68, Southaven, Miss., died July 2, 2006. Prior to retirement in 2003, he owned DeSoto County Animal Clinic in Southaven. Earlier, Dr. Franklin owned Raines Road Animal Clinic in Whitehaven, Miss. During his career, he also established several businesses, including the Vapors Supper Club in Memphis; cared for animals at Elvis Presley’s Graceland; and starred in the 1990s television show “Elvis, the Early Years.”
Dr. Franklin served in the Army from 1962-1964, attaining the rank of captain. He was a member of the American Legion. Dr. Franklin served on the Mississippi Healthcare Trust Fund Commission, Memphis and Shelby County Port Commission, and Tennessee Public Service Council. He is survived by his wife, Jackie; four sons; and three daughters.
Linda H. Grayson
Dr. Grayson (COL ’95), 44, Bayfield, Colo., died July 11, 2006. A member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, she founded Village Veterinary Service, a large animal mobile veterinary practice. During her career, Dr. Grayson also worked at Thoroughbred racetracks in New England. Her husband, Paul, and two daughters survive her. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, 3801 Main Ave., Durango, CO 81301.
Morris M. Himmelstein
Dr. Himmelstein (MSU ’40), 88, West Orange, N.J., died July 2, 2006.
David S. Kronfeld
Dr. Kronfeld (QLD ’52), 78, Pembroke, Va., died Dec. 17, 2006. He was the Paul Mellon Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Agriculture and former professor of veterinary medicine at the Virginia Tech College of Agriculture and Life Sciences. Prior to his career at Virginia Tech, Dr. Kronfeld was the Elizabeth and William Whitney Clark Professor Emeritus of Nutrition at the University of Pennsylvania.
A charter diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine and the American College of Veterinary Nutrition, he served as president of the American Association of Veterinary Nutritionists from 1973-1975. Dr. Kronfeld authored more than 700 publications, several of them in refereed journals. His wife, Dr. Susan Donoghue (UP ’76), survives him. Memorials may be made to the David S. Kronfeld Endowment for Graduate Student Support, MARE Center, 5527 Sullivans Mill Road, Middleburg, VA 20117.
William K. Metzger
Dr. Metzger (COL ’75), 62, Gordon, Neb., died Nov. 16, 2006. He owned a small animal practice in Spearfish, S.D., from 1995-2005. Earlier in his career, Dr. Metzger was in mixed practice in Gordon, Neb. He was a member of the South Dakota VMA. Dr. Metzger’s wife, Carol; two sons; and four daughters survive him. His son-in-law, Dr. James R. Sasse (KSU ’93), is a veterinarian in Gordon. Memorials may be made to the W.K. Metzger DVM Veterinary Scholarship, Bank of the West, P.O. Box 250, Gordon, NE 69343.
Eugene W. Meyer
Dr. Meyer (MSU ’73), 62, Bay City, Mich., died Nov. 22, 2006. He owned Euclid Veterinary Hospital in Bay City for 33 years. Dr. Meyer is survived by his wife, Jennifer, and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine, East Lansing, MI 48824.
Francis J. Mulhern
Dr. Mulhern (AUB ’45), 87, Laguna Hills, Calif., died July 6, 2006. From 1971-1980, he served as the first administrator of the Department of Agriculture’s Animal Plant Health and Inspection Service. During his tenure, Dr. Mulhern led eradication efforts for sheep scabies, Venezuelan equine encephalomyelitis, velogenic viscerotropic Newcastle disease in poultry, and screwworms.
In 1980, he became the director of animal health for the Inter-American Institute for Cooperation on Agriculture, where he focused on the prevention, control, and eradication of diseases and pests within the Western Hemisphere. Under Dr. Mulhern’s directorship, agreements were signed to implement programs to eradicate screwworms and African swine fever from Central America and Haiti.
Early in his 35-year career with the USDA, he served as a field veterinarian, directed the meat andpoultry inspection program, and led efforts to eradicate foot-and-mouth disease from Mexico and Canada. Dr. Mulhern was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine.
He received several honors, including the National Pork Producers Council’s Meritorious Service Award in 1994, the 1982 XIIth International Veterinary Congress Prize from the AVMA, and the 1977 Public Service Award from the AVMA. Dr. Mulhern was also the recipient of the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine Distinguished Alumnus Award, the USDA Superior and Distinguished Service awards, the Animal Welfare Institute’s Albert Schweitzer Medal, and the National Civil Service League’s Career Service Award.
His two sons and a daughter survive him.
R. Dean Scoggins
Dr. Scoggins (MSU ’60), 71, Villa Grove, Ill., died Dec. 29, 2006. From 1977 until retirement in 2004, he was an equine and sheep extension veterinarian at the University of Illinois College of Veterinary Medicine. Earlier in his career, Dr. Scoggins practiced large animal medicine in Hudson, Mich.; served as resident veterinarian at Al-Marah Arabians in Barnesville, Md.; and owned an equine practice in Pennsylvania’s Washington County.
He bred, trained, and showed Arabian, Morgan, and Quarter horses. A member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, Dr. Scoggins served on its board of directors from 2002-2005, and was past chair of its Ad Hoc Dentistry Committee. He was a founding member of the Horsemen’s Council of Illinois and was appointed to the Illinois Department of Agriculture’s Advisory Board of Livestock Commissioners. Dr. Scoggins was also active with the International Arabian and National Reining Horse associations. In 2006, the Land of Lincoln Purebred Livestock Breeders Association inducted him into its 2007 Hall of Fame.
Dr. Scoggins is survived by his wife, Constance; two sons; and a daughter. One son, Dr. Gregg A. Scoggins (IL ’90), is a veterinarian in Ashland, Va. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368; or the Countryside United Methodist Church, 990 County Road 1800 E., Urbana, IL 61802.
William J. Zontine
Dr. Zontine (COL ’42), 86, Vista, Calif., died Jan. 4, 2007. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Radiology, he practiced in Huntington Beach, Calif., from 1977 until retirement in 1989. Following graduation, Dr. Zontine served in the Army. From 1946-1971, he practiced in Lancaster, Calif. Dr. Zontine next served as an assistant clinical professor at the University of California-Los Angeles School of Medicine for four years. From 1971-1974, he worked at the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine, first as a research associate and, then, as a lecturer.
Later in his career, Dr. Zontine served as staff radiologist at the Animal Medical Center in New York, was a research associate professor of radiology at New York University, and worked as an associate clinical professor of radiology at the University of California-Irvine College of Medicine. He was a member of the California Veterinary Medical Board from 1955-1959.
Dr. Zontine helped found the Antelope Valley VMA, was a life member of the Southern California VMA, and was a member of the Sierra VMA, North American Radiological Society, and the International Veterinary Radiology Association. Past president of the California VMA and the American Veterinary Radiology Society, Dr. Zontine served on the former AVMA Continuing Education Advisory Committee, representing what is now called the American Board of Veterinary Specialties, from 1969-1979. From 1978-1984, Dr. Zontine represented small animal practice on the AVMA Council on Education. He was elected to the National Academies of Practice in 1986.
Dr. Zontine received several honors, including the CVMA Award of Merit in 1972, the American Animal Hospital Association’s Region 5 Veterinary Practitioner of the Year Award for 1978, and the AAHA Charles E. Bild Practitioner of the Year Award in 1979. For his service in the Army during World War II, he was awarded the Bronze Star and the Soldier’s Medal. Dr. Zontine attained the rank of captain in the Army. He also served in the Air Force Reserve, retiring as lieutenant colonel in 1968.
Dr. Zontine’s four sons survive him.
Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF, Department 20-1122, P.O. Box 5940, Carol Stream, IL 60197-5940 www.avmf.org