Posted Feb. 1, 2007
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Edwin A. Beckcom Jr.
Dr. Beckcom (TEX ’38), 90, Dallas, died Nov. 26, 2006. A veterinary consultant, he served as executive director of the Dallas Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals from 1977-1984. Prior to that, Dr. Beckcom was public health veterinarian for the city of Dallas. During his career, he also served as an adjunct professor of public health at Texas A&M University.
Dr. Beckcom was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine. A life member of the Texas and Dallas County VMAs, he received the TVMA Distinguished Achievement Award in 1990. Dr. Beckcom served as a veterinary staff officer in the Air Force from 1948-1969, retiring as a lieutenant colonel. He also served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II. In 1969, Dr. Beckcom received the Meritorious Service Medal for service to the Air Force and the North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
His wife, Helen; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the SPCA of Texas, 362 S. Industrial Blvd., Dallas, TX 75207.
Joseph C. Brown
Dr. Brown (TEX ’67), 63, San Antonio, died Oct. 25, 2006. He practiced in San Antonio for 39 years and established the city’s O’Connor Road Animal Hospital in January 2006. Dr. Brown was a member of the Texas and Bexar County VMAs. A Vietnam War veteran, he served in the Army. Dr. Brown’s wife, Linda; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Texas A&M Foundation, College of Veterinary Medicine & Biomedical Sciences, Office of the Dean, Attn: Noell Vance, 4461 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843.
Donald F. Chapel
Dr. Chapel (MSU ’43), 89, Batavia, Ohio, died Oct. 19, 2006. He practiced in Grass Lake, Mich., for 44 years. Dr. Chapel was a member of the Michigan VMA. His wife, Margaret; a daughter; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Research Department, 300 Spartan Way, East Lansing, MI 48824.
Robert E. Clark
Dr. Clark (COR ’52), 76, Ithaca, N.Y., died Aug. 8, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned the Miller-Clark Animal Hospital in Mamaroneck, N.Y. Dr. Clark was a past president of the New York State VMS, the Westchester/Rockland VMA, the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Association, and the New York State Association of the Professions.
He was a member of the Cornell University Council and chaired the College of Veterinary Medicine’s development committee and annual fund. Dr. Clark received several honors, including the NYSVMS Veterinarian of the Year and Distinguished Life Service awards, and Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine’s Daniel Elmer Salmon Award for distinguished alumni service.
His wife, Marilyn; a son; and two daughters survive him. Dr. Clark’s cousin, Dr. James T. Noonan (COR ’58), is a veterinarian in Akron, Ohio. Memorials may be made to the Robert E. Clark Scholarship, Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Box 39, Ithaca, NY 14853.
John M. Colby
Dr. Colby (MSU ’43), 84, Monroe, Mich., died Nov. 27, 2006. Prior to retirement in 2002, he owned Colby Veterinary Clinic in Monroe. Dr. Colby served in the Army from 1942-1943, and later in the Army Reserve. He attained the rank of captain. Dr. Colby’s son and daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Humane Society of Monroe County, 111 E. 1st St., Monroe, MI 48161; or Trinity Lutheran Church Choir, 323 Scott St., Monroe, MI 48161.
Joe B. Crane Sr.
Dr. Crane (AUB ’43), 85, Valdosta, Ga., died Oct. 17, 2006. He was the founder and president of Valdosta Veterinary Hospital, a practice he established in 1943. Dr. Crane served two terms on the Georgia State Board of Veterinary Medicine. He was a past president of the Georgia VMA and past chair of its legislative committee. Dr. Crane was also a past president of the South Georgia VMA, and served on the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine Alumni Advisory Council and the advisory board for the animal technology program at Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College.
He received the GVMA Veterinarian of the Year Award in 1988 and the 1996-1997 Auburn University School of Veterinary Medicine Distinguished Alumni Award. Active in civic life, Dr. Crane served on the board of the Georgia Agribusiness Council and was past chair of the Valdosta Board of Education. He was also a past president of the Valdosta Rotary Club. In 1983, Dr. Crane was named Outstanding Agribusiness Man by the Valdosta-Lowndes County Chamber of Commerce.
He is survived by a son and two daughters. Dr. Crane’s son, Dr. Joe B. Crane II (AUB ’72), practices at Valdosta Veterinary Hospital. Memorials may be made to Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine, Auburn University, AL 36849.
J. Edward Davidson
Dr. Davidson (COL ’51), 86, Lincoln, Neb., died Oct. 15, 2006. Prior to retirement, he worked for the Department of Agriculture in Nebraska. Earlier in his career, Dr. Davidson owned a practice in Schuyler, Neb. He was a life member of the Nebraska VMA. Dr. Davidson served as a pilot in the Army Air Force. He is survived by his wife, Lou, and two sons. Memorials may be made to the Nebraska VMA, 2727 W. 2nd St., P.O. Box 2118, Hastings, NE 68902.
Richard E. Hargreaves
Dr. Hargreaves (COL ’42), 87, Longmont, Colo., died Nov. 1, 2006. Prior to retirement in the mid-1980s, he co-owned the Animal Hospital in Longmont. During retirement, Dr. Hargreaves provided spay/neuter services at the Longmont Humane Society. From 1942-1946, he served in the Air Force, attaining the rank of captain. Dr. Hargreaves’ wife, Laura; three daughters; three stepsons; and a stepdaughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Longmont Humane Society, 9595 Nelson Road, Longmont, CO 80501; or Longmont Meals on Wheels Inc., 910 Longs Peak Ave., Longmont, CO 80501.
Wilson B. Lewis
Dr. Lewis (CAL ’52), 80, Auburn, Calif., died Oct. 22, 2006. A relief veterinarian in Auburn, he owned a practice in Eagle Point, Ore., until 2005. Early in his career, Dr. Lewis owned a practice in Auburn for nearly 30 years. He also served as a relief veterinarian in Elko, Nev., for four years. Dr. Lewis was a Navy veteran of World War II. His three sons and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the University of California-Davis, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616.
Charles C. Murphy
Dr. Murphy (AUB ’53), 81, St. Petersburg, Fla., died Oct. 31, 2006. He co-owned Lake Seminole Animal Hospital in Seminole, Fla., for 29 years. Dr. Murphy also served as veterinarian at Derby Lane Greyhound Racetrack for 40 years. He was a member of the Pinellas County Horseman’s Association. An Army Air Force veteran of World War II, Dr. Murphy was a member of the American Legion. His son and two daughters survive him.
Melissa L. Payne
Dr. Payne (TEN ’97), 35, Murfreesboro, Tenn., died July 16, 2006. She practiced at Animal Care Veterinary Hospital in Murfreesboro. Dr. Payne is survived by a son and a daughter. Memorials toward a trust fund for her children may be made to Free in Christ Trust Fund, c/o Sun Trust Bank, Murfreesboro, TN 37130.
Dr. Phelen (MO ’63), 70, Punta Gorda, Fla., died Oct. 22, 2006. Before retiring in 1996, he was president and chief executive officer of American Veterinary Cooperative Inc. in Limerick, Pa. Dr. Phelen also served as president of International Consultants Network Inc. Prior to that, he headed the laboratory animal division of Glaxo SmithKline in Philadelphia, also directing the company’s research and development campus construction projects and chairing its worldwide facility planning projects. Early in his career, Dr. Phelen worked for Whitehall Laboratory in St. Louis, and served as an associate director for Merck Sharp & Dohme in West Point, Pa.
A member of the American Academy of Veterinary Pharmacology and Therapeutics and a past president of the Southern Illinois VMA, he was also a member of the Missouri, Illinois State, and Pennsylvania VMAs, and the Greater Philadelphia Technology Council. Dr. Phelen served on the board of directors of the American Society for Research. He was elected to the Punta Gorda City Council in 2005, and co-chaired the Florida Gulf Coast University Site Selection Advisory Committee.
A veteran of the Army, Dr. Phelen was a member of the American Legion. His wife, Claire; three daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to Heifer International, P.O. Box 8058, Little Rock, AR 72203.
Barclay B. Phillips
Dr. Phillips (TEX ’45), 94, Brownsville, Texas, died Oct. 3, 2006. From 1949 until retirement in 1978, he practiced at Brownsville Veterinary Hospital. During retirement, Dr. Phillips farmed and ranched, raising Charolais cattle in Brownsville. He was also involved with forestry in Texas’ Red River County. Dr. Phillips’ wife, Juanita, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Sunny Glen Children’s Home, P.O. Box 1373, San Benito, TX 78586.
Fred B. Pulling
Dr. Pulling (COR ’42), 87, Las Vegas, died Dec. 10, 2006. Vice president of the AVMA from 1959-1960, he was in mixed practice in California’s northern San Luis Obispo County for 33 years. From 1947-1953, Dr. Pulling served as on-call veterinarian for publisher William Randolph Hearst’s Arabian horses at the San Simeon stables, having traveled to the Middle East and assisted in their selection and transportation. He also provided his services at the Atascadero Zoo, and was the veterinarian for San Luis Obispo County Fair for 30 years. In 1965, Dr. Pulling traveled on a People to People tour to Europe and the former Soviet Union.
He was a member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, a life member of the California VMA, and a past vice president of the Mid-Coast VMA. Dr. Pulling was also active in the Atascadero Businessmen’s Association and Lions Club. His wife, Anna; two daughters; and a son survive him.
Irving M. Roberts
Dr. Roberts (MSU ’41), 92, Eugene, Ore., died Dec. 26, 2006. Prior to retirement in the 1970s, he owned East Oakland Veterinary Hospital in Oakland, Calif., for 25 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Roberts co-founded Richmond Veterinary Hospital in Richmond, Calif., with his brother, Dr. Seymour Roberts (MSU ’40).
He was past treasurer of the California VMA. Dr. Roberts’ wife, Melinda, and a son survive him.
Dennis L. Sones
Dr. Sones (KSU ’83), 56, Syca¬more, Ill., died Nov. 15, 2006. He owned Sycamore Animal Hospital for the past three years. Dr. Sones also owned a mobile veterinary laser practice. Early in his career, he worked as a sales representative for Hill’s Pet Nutrition and VPI Pet Insurance.
Edward F. Steinfeldt
Dr. Steinfeldt (COR ’41), 87, Cortland, N.Y., died Oct. 11, 2006. Retired since 1983, he founded Cortland Veterinary Hospital in 1948. Dr. Steinfeldt also helped establish what is now known as the James A. Baker Institute for Animal Health at Cornell University. Early in his career, he practiced in Scarsdale, N.Y., and central New York.
A past president of the New York State VMS and the Cortland County VMS, Dr. Steinfeldt was a member of the Southern Tier VMS. His wife, Eudene; a son; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Cortland SPCA, 879 McLean Road, Cortland, NY 13045.
Elden D. Svec
Dr. Svec (OKL ’63), 76, Scribner, Neb., died Aug. 3, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned a practice in Scribner. Dr. Svec was a veteran of the Navy. His wife, Mary Ann, and six sons survive him. Memorials toward St. Lawrence Catholic Church or Scribner-Snyder Community Schools may be made c/o Mary Ann Svec, 809 N. Main St., Scribner, NE 68057.
James J. Syler
Dr. Syler (OSU ’68), 64, Massillon, Ohio, died Aug. 12, 2006. He was a partner at Stark Animal Hospital in Canton, Ohio. Dr. Syler also volunteered his services at Ohio’s Wilderness Center, Sippo Lake Park Wildlife Center, and Discover World. He was a member of the executive board of the Ohio VMA, and was elected second vice president of the association in 1999.
A veteran of the Vietnam War, Dr. Syler served in the Army. He was a charter member and past president of the Perry (Ohio) Rotary Club. Dr. Syler is survived by his wife, Linda; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Capital Projects Fund, Trinity United Church of Christ, 3909 Blackburn Road N.W., Canton, OH 44718; or Akron Children’s Hospital, Akron, OH 44308.
Earl R. Walker
Dr. Walker (KSU ’45), 83, Pawhuska, Okla., died Dec. 4, 2006. The founder of Osage Animal Clinic in Pawhuska, he retired from practice in the mid-1980s. Dr. Walker was a past president of the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners, the Oklahoma VMA, and the Tulsa VMA. He was also a past executive board member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners and a member of the Oklahoma and Osage Cattlemen’s associations.
Dr. Walker received the Oklahoma VMA’s W.F. Irwin Award and Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine’s E.R. Frank Award in 1971 and 1987, respectively. Active in civic life, he was a past board member of the Pawhuska Chamber of Commerce. Dr. Walker’s wife, Emagene, and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to College of the Ozarks, Box 17, Point Lookout, MO 65726.
Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF, Department 20-1122, P.O. Box 5940, Carol Stream, IL 60197-5940 www.avmf.org