AVMA Honor Roll Member
Paul B. Altemuehle
Dr. Altemuehle (AUB ’64), 71, Hebron, Ky., died Sept. 6, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned Hebron Animal Hospital. Early in his career, Dr. Altemuehle served as an associate professor of veterinary medicine at the University of Cincinnati. He also helped establish the veterinary medical teachers program at the university’s Raymond Walters College.
Dr. Altemuehle was a past president of the Cincinnati and Northern Kentucky VMAs. He served as treasurer of the Hebron Fire District and was a member emeritus of the Boone County Fair Board. Dr. Altemuehle received several awards for his contributions to the Boone County 4-H program. Memorials may be made to Friends of the Shelter, P.O. Box 93, Union, KY 41091; or St. Elizabeth North Hospice, 401 E. 20th St., Covington, KY 41014.
John F. Anderson
Dr. Anderson (MIN ’62), 74, Cannon Falls, Minn., died Nov. 8, 2006. He owned Valley Veterinary Consulting Services, dealing with environmental issues, housing, farm management, herd problems, and biosecurity. Following graduation and until 1966, Dr. Anderson owned a practice in Northfield, Minn. He then joined the faculty of the University of Minnesota College of Veterinary Medicine, where he worked until retirement in 1995.
During that time, Dr. Anderson met the late Donald Bates, PhD, an agricultural engineer who shared his interest in providing a comfortable, clean environment for cattle. They designed housing systems that improved animal welfare and reduced respiratory tract disease in cattle, and cow maternity units that were isolated from the rest of the herd. Designs by the Anderson-Bates team have been accepted internationally, and their research has become a part of many veterinary school programs. In 2000, Dr. Anderson received the AVMA Animal Welfare Award for his pioneering spirit in the areas of animal housing and dairy barn ventilation standards.
He was a charter member of the Minnesota Academy of Veterinary Medical Practice and a member of the Minnesota VMA, the American Association of Bovine Practitioners, and the American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers. A veteran of the Army, Dr. Anderson attained the rank of sergeant. His daughter survives him.
Gene M. Bierhaus
Dr. Bierhaus (COL ’54), 85, Nisswa, Minn., died Oct. 11, 2006. Retired since 1992, he practiced at Brentwood Small Animal Hospital, co-established by him in Denver. From 1957 until the mid-1980s, Dr. Bierhaus also served as veterinarian for the Colorado State Racing Commission. A distinguished life member of the American Association of Equine Practitioners, he helped develop drug test screenings for racehorses. Dr. Bierhaus’ research led to the concept of controlled medication in horse racing.
A talented athlete, he was drafted by the Green Bay Packers in 1942 but enlisted in the Marine Corps instead. A veteran of World War II, Dr. Bierhaus served at Iwo Jima. He attained the rank of lieutenant and was awarded the Purple Heart. Dr. Bierhaus is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Dr. Gene Bierhaus Athletic Scholarship or the Confidence Learning Center, Brainerd Senior High School, 702 S. Fifth St., Brainerd, MN 56401.
Pierre L. DePorre
Dr. DePorre (MSU ’56), 74, Bloomfield Hills, Mich., died Nov. 20, 2006. He retired in 1986 from DePorre Veterinary Hospital, a small animal practice he established in Bloomfield Hills in 1958. Dr. DePorre established a scholarship at the Michigan State University College of Veterinary Medicine. His wife, Virginia; two sons; and three daughters survive him. Dr. DePorre’s son, Dr. Pierre DePorre (MSU ’83); daughter-in-law, Dr. Deborah W. DePorre (MSU ’85); and nephew, Dr. Jules J. DePorre (MSU ’76), all practice at DePorre Veterinary Hospital.
Alan H. Edmondson
Dr. Edmondson (TEX ’44), 85, Huntington Beach, Calif., died June 9, 2006. A retired equine practitioner, he owned Edmondson Thoroughbred Farm for 29 years. Dr. Edmondson also served as chief veterinarian
for the California Horse Racing Board. He was a member and past president and chairman of the California Veterinary Medical Board. A distinguished life member of the California VMA, Dr. Edmondson also served as president of the Southern California VMA in 1975. In 1996, he received the CVMA’s Dan Evans Memorial Award, honoring equine practitioners.
John K. Emerson
Dr. Emerson (COL ’50), 81, Castle Rock, Colo., died Oct. 6, 2006. Prior to retirement, he served as public health veterinarian and epidemiologist for the Colorado Department of Health. Early in his career, Dr. Emerson practiced in Las Animas and Greeley, Colo. He was a member of the Colorado VMA and served as president of the Conference of Public Health Veterinarians in 1982.
In 2000, Dr. Emerson received the CVMA 50-year Service Award. A World War II veteran, he served in the Army. Dr. Emerson is survived by his wife, Mildred; four sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to First United Methodist Church Habitat for Humanity, 1200 South St., Castle Rock, CO 80104.
Harry J. Forrest
Dr. Forrest (MO ’54), 83, Clinton, Iowa, died June 11, 2006. Prior to retirement, he was in mixed practice in Clinton for more than 44 years. A veteran of World War II, Dr. Forrest served in the Army. His wife, Doris; a son; and a daughter survive him.
William J. Forrest
Dr. Forrest (ONT ’55), 78, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, died June 2, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned Fourth Avenue Veterinary Hospital in Vancouver. Dr. Forrest was past secretary of the British Columbia VMA. His wife, Jacqueline; a son; and a daughter survive him.
Thomas W. Fox
Dr. Fox (OSU ’68), 65, Meadville, Pa., died June 14, 2006. He practiced at Glenwood Pet Hospital in Erie, Pa. Earlier in his career, Dr. Fox practiced in the state at Meadville, Conneaut, and Cochranton. He was a member of the Northwestern VMA. Dr. Fox is survived by his wife, Carolyn. Memorials may be made to Shriners Hospital for Children, 1645 W. Eighth St., Erie, PA 16505; Meadville Public Library, 848 N. Main St., Meadville, PA 16335; or the National Institutes of Health, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, 9000 Rockville Pike, Bethesda, MD 20892.
John W. Gupton
Dr. Gupton (TEX ’49), 80, Richmond, Texas, died Nov. 23, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned Richmond Animal Hospital for 32 years. During retirement, Dr. Gupton ranched at Half Circle J Ranches in Brazoria and Washington counties. He was a past member of the board of directors of the Texas VMA.
Dr. Gupton served as president of the Fort Bend County Fair Board of Directors and the Richmond Rotary Club, and was nominated to the Fort Bend County Aggie Hall of Fame. His wife, Marguerite, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to St. John’s United Methodist Church Building Fund, 400 S. Jackson, Richmond, TX 77469.
Hugo O. Hempel III
Dr. Hempel (AUB ’58), 80, Lexington, Ky., died July 10, 2006. Prior to retirement in 1999, he owned Hempel Animal Hospital in Lexington for 40 years. Dr. Hempel was a lifetime member of the Kentucky VMA. He was also a member of the Thoroughbred Club of America and the Rotary Club. Dr. Hempel served as a lieutenant colonel in the Air Force Reserve. His wife, Lee; two daughters; and four sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Feed the Hungry Program, Grace Baptist Church, 811 Bryan Ave., Lexington, KY 40505.
Jack A. Howarth
Dr. Howarth (COL ’44), 84, Davis, Calif., died Nov. 16, 2006. He was professor emeritus at the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine. During his tenure at the university, Dr. Howarth focused on infectious diseases of livestock. He also consulted for the Department of Agriculture and foreign governments on strategies to deal with exotic animal diseases. Dr. Howarth’s wife, Jennie; two daughters; two sons; and two stepsons survive him.
Don M. Keister
Dr. Keister (OSU ’77), 54, Loganville, Ga., died July 24, 2006. He was vice president of quality assurance and technology transfer at GeoVax Inc. in Atlanta. Dr. Keister also served as a consultant to the biotechnology and allied health industries and was an adjunct assistant professor at the University of Georgia College of Veterinary Medicine. Earlier, he worked for Merial Ltd and Idexx Laboratories. During his career, Dr. Keister also served as a technical service veterinarian for Philips-Roxane Inc., directed veterinary research and technical services at Sterling Winthrop Research Institute, and was a vice president at Rhone Merieux Inc.
A past president of the American Association of Industrial Veterinarians, he was a member of the American
Academy of Veterinary Pharmacol-ogy and Therapeutics, American Association of Veterinary Parasitolo-gists, American Heartworm Society, and the Georgia VMA. Dr. Keister’s three sons survive him.
Warren W. Marquardt
Dr. Marquardt (MIN ’61), 75, Mount Airy, Md., died Aug. 30, 2006. He was professor emeritus at Virginia Polytechnic Institute and the University of Maryland. A poultry virologist in serology and diagnostics, Dr. Marquardt was known for his work on the infectious bronchitis virus. He was part of the team that used single serum samples from chickens to diagnose diseases caused by several poultry viruses, using the ELISA technique. Dr. Marquardt worked with the Marek’s disease, Newcastle disease, and the infectious bursal disease viruses.
He is survived by his wife, Alice; two sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Myelodysplastic Syndromes Foundation, P.O. Box 477, 464 Main St., Crosswicks, NJ 08515.
Philip L. McClave
Dr. McClave (COL ’37), 93, Laguna Woods, Calif., died Sept. 17, 2006. Prior to retirement, he owned McClave Veterinary Hospital, a practice he established in Reseda, Calif., in 1948. Earlier, Dr. McClave worked in West Hollywood, Calif. During his career, he also served as head of the Animal Control Board of Los Angeles County and was a member of the California Veterinary Medical Board.
An honorary life member of the Southern California VMA, Dr. McClave was the recipient of the Distinguished Service Award from its Animal Health Foundation. A veteran of World War II, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of major. Dr. McClave is survived by two sons.
Lowell W. Walker
Dr. Walker (OSU ’45), 91, Georgetown, Ohio, died Oct. 19, 2006. He practiced for 10 years in Lynchburg, Ohio, and in Georgetown for 22 years. Dr. Walker is survived by his wife, Ada; two daughters; and a son.