July 01, 2006


 Veterinarians may submit theft, loss reports to DEA online

Posted June 15, 2006

Veterinarians who need to report the theft or loss of controlled substances to the Drug Enforcement Administration may now electronically submit DEA Form 106.

The DEA requires all registrants to notify their local DEA field office, in writing, of any theft or "significant loss" of any controlled substances within one business day of discovery of the theft or loss. The registrant must complete a DEA Form 106 when reporting the theft or loss.

The electronic version of DEA Form 106 can be found online at the DEA's Diversion Control Program Web site, www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov. If the circumstances surrounding the theft or loss are known at the time of discovery, veterinarians may fill out the form online through a secure connection and then submit it electronically to DEA headquarters.

Veterinarians may also submit DEA Form 106 by completing the form online, printing it, and once signed, mailing it to the local DEA field office. Another option would be to print the form and complete it by hand or typewriter. The DEA recommends not using the latter method, however, because errors are more likely to occur when completing the form.

If circumstances surrounding the theft or loss are not yet available, the DEA recommends that initial written notification be submitted on company letterhead to the DEA by fax. If the investigation takes more than two months, updates should be provided to the DEA. Once all facts are determined, the veterinarian must submit DEA Form 106 in a timely and accurate manner.

In contrast, when accountable losses of controlled substances occur as a result of breakage, spillage, outdating, or other damage, veterinarians should submit DEA Form 41: Registrants Inventory of Drugs Surrendered. Veterinarians are not required to immediately notify DEA of accountable losses.

Veterinarians have two options when it comes to disposing of controlled substances that they were able to recover. They may contact their local DEA field office and receive permission to dispose of the controlled substances, or send the controlled substances to a firm registered with the DEA as a reverse distributor, which handles returns and disposals.

If the controlled substances are not recoverable, then veterinarians must document the circumstances of the damage in their inventory records. Two individuals who witnessed the breakage must sign the inventory recor ds and indicate what they witnessed.

For questions regarding the electronic DEA Form 106, contact the DEA's Registration and Program Support Section at (202) 307-4295.

To learn more about submitting information to the DEA
on theft or loss of controlled substances,
see JAVMA, Oct. 1, 2005