|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
AVMA Honor Roll Member
|Donald L. Dungworth |
Dr. Dungworth (LIV '56), 73, Lincoln, Calif., died Feb. 14, 2005. Until recently, he was an international consultant on pulmonary toxicology. Dr. Dungworth began his career on the veterinary faculty of the University of Bristol in England. In 1962, he joined the Department of Pathology at the University of California-Davis School of Veterinary Medicine.
During his tenure at UC-Davis, Dr. Dungworth chaired the Department of Pathology for 23 years, served as associate dean for research, and was acting director of the California Primate Research Center. His expertise in inhalation toxicology and pathology led to a research program in pulmonary toxicopathology that is recognized worldwide. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists, Dr. Dungworth was its president in 1977.
Following his retirement from UC-Davis in 1993, he served on the faculty of St. Kitts Veterinary College for a year. Dr. Dungworth's wife, Terri; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Donald L. Dungworth Graduate Student Memorial Fund, Office of Development, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of California, One Shields Ave., Davis, CA 95616.
|Milton R. Flickinger |
Dr. Flickinger (ISU '43), 84, Washington, Iowa, died Nov. 13, 2004. From 1947 until retirement in 1980, he practiced in Washington. Following graduation, Dr. Flickinger practiced in Sac City, Iowa. He then served in the Army as a meat inspector during World War II in Germany, attaining the rank of captain. Later, Dr. Flickinger practiced in West Allis, Wis.; Freeport, Ill.; and Sigourney, Iowa, before moving to Washington. During his career, he also served as a southeast Iowa state meat inspector.
Dr. Flickinger's wife, Carol; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Fern Cliff Evangelical Free Church, 2739 Fern Cliff Road, Wayland, IA 52654; Lending Hands Inc., 125 E. Second St., Washington, IA 52353; or Parkinson's Disease Foundation, Gift Processing Center, P.O. Box 96268, Washington, DC 20090.
|Leo J. Freese |
Dr. Freese (MO '54), 78, Corydon, Iowa, died Dec. 12, 2004. Prior to retirement in 1994, he owned a practice in Corydon. Dr. Freese was a member of the Iowa VMA and Missouri VMA. His wife, Dorothy; three daughters; and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Hospice of Central Iowa, 401 Railroad Place, West Des Moines, IA 50265; Alzheimer's Association, 1730 28th St., West Des Moines, IA 50266; or Association for Retarded Citizens, P.O. Box 37, Promise City, IA 52583.
|Lynn D. Hupp |
Dr. Hupp (MSU '41), 86, Blue Springs, Mo., died Nov. 9, 2004. Prior to retirement in 1994, he owned Climax Springs Veterinary Service in the Lake of the Ozarks area of Missouri. Before that, Dr. Hupp owned Ray County Animal Hospital in Richmond, Mo., a mixed practice he established in 1949. Early in his career, he worked for Armour and Company and Fort Dodge Laboratories. Dr. Hupp was a past president of the Kansas City VMA and had served on the Missouri VMA board of directors.
His wife, Dorothy; four sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Butterfield Youth Ranch, P.O. Box 333, Marshall, MO 65340.
|Leroy E. Johnson |
Dr. Johnson (OSU '42), 90, Columbus, Ohio, died Dec. 4, 2004. He was professor emeritus at The Ohio State University Department of Clinical Services. A charter diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, Dr. Johnson was also a member of the Ohio VMA, American Association of Equine Practitioners, and American Association of Veterinary Clinicians.
His three sons survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to The Ohio State University College of Veterinary Medicine, 1900 Coffey Road, Columbus, OH 43210.
|Leslie W. Jones |
Dr. Jones (COL '36), 93, Oroville, Calif., died Dec. 8, 2004. He practiced in California for 35 years, also raising cattle. During World War II, Dr. Jones worked as a meat inspector in California. He was a member of the Butte County Cattleman's Association and the Plumas Sierra Cattleman's Association. Dr. Jones' son survives him.
|George J. MacLean |
Dr. MacLean (COL '39), 87, Huntsville, Ark., died April 29, 2005. Retired since 1982, he worked for Dow Chemical Company in research and development of agricultural products for livestock.
Following graduation, Dr. MacLean practiced in McLean County, Illinois. He then served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II, first as a food inspector in Chicago, and later, overseas, where he procured and cared for pack mules. After being discharged, Dr. MacLean worked as a consultant for Allied Laboratories and Pitman-Moore before joining Dow Chemical Company.
His wife, Elsie, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Madison County Pet Shelter, P.O. Box 364, Huntsville, AR 72740.
|Kenneth C. Morris |
Dr. Morris (TUF '85), 45, Fall River, Mass., died Dec. 13, 2004. He owned Morris Mobile Animal Clinic in Fall River for 16 years. Dr. Morris' wife, Michelle, and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the MSPCA, 350 S. Huntington Ave., Boston, MA 02130; or Forever Paws Animal Shelter, 300 Lynwood St., Fall River, MA 02721.
|Harold W. Nance |
Dr. Nance (AUB '44), 94, Temple Terrace, Fla., died April 23, 2005. From 1944 until retirement in 1973, he owned a mixed practice in Lawrenceburg, Tenn. Dr. Nance also conducted an annual rabies control program, in cooperation with the state health department. Participating with the Department of Agriculture and the state veterinarian's office, he led eradication programs against hog cholera and tuberculosis, and in calfhood vaccination against brucellosis.
A past president of the Tennessee VMA, Dr. Nance was its Veterinarian of the Year in 1964. He served on the Tennessee Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners from 1961-1966 and was a charter member of the Middle Tennessee VMA. Dr. Nance was a past president of the Lawrenceburg Chamber of Commerce, also serving on the city's planning board for 27 years. He received the 4-H Club's Recognition for Meritorious Service in 1973 and the Cattlemen of the Year Award from the Lawrence County Cattlemen's Association in 1997.
Dr. Nance's daughter survives him.
|Amiya K. Patnaik |
Dr. Patnaik (MAS '51), 74, River Vale, N.J., died Feb. 19, 2005. Known for his expertise and leadership in veterinary oncologic pathology, he was a senior staff pathologist at The Animal Medical Center's Department of Pathology in New York since 1968. Dr. Patnaik was also known for originating the grading system for canine mast cell tumors, the Patnaik Grading System, the gold standard for pathologists worldwide for the past 20 years.
Following graduation, Dr. Patnaik served as a research officer and veterinary pathologist at the state veterinary laboratories of the government of Orissa in his native India. He began his career with The Animal Medical Center as a resident in anatomic pathology in 1964. In 1984, Dr. Patnaik was the recipient of the Ralston Purina Small Animal Research Award, sponsored by Ralston Purina in cooperation with the AVMA. He also received special recognition from the Veterinary Cancer Society in 2002, for his work in veterinary oncology pathology.
Dr. Patnaik's wife, Kabita; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the American Diabetes Association, P.O. Box 1131, Fairfax, VA 22038.
|Fred W. Petersen |
Dr. Petersen (COL '50), 84, Fort Collins, Colo., died Nov. 7, 2004.
|D.W. Rawson |
Dr. Rawson (ISU '43), 85, Cora, Wyo., died April 21, 2005. He owned a large animal practice in Milledgeville, Ill., for 40 years, while maintaining a hog farm. Early in his career, Dr. Rawson practiced in Elburn, Ill., for a year.
A leader in artificial insemination technology, he conducted research on reproductive management of swine with the University of Illinois, and was a leader in the area of dietary research and veterinary preventive medicine. Dr. Rawson was a past director of the Illinois State VMA.
His wife, Barbara; three daughters; and two sons survive him. One son, Dr. Chester L. Rawson (ILL '68), is a veterinarian in Markesan, Wis. Memorials in Dr. Rawson's name may be made to the AVMA/Heifer International tsunami relief matching partnership, P.O. Box 8058, Little Rock, AR 72203 (for the partnership to receive matching dollars, donors must reference the AVMA); Center for Food Safety, 660 Pennsylvania Ave. S.E., Suite 302, Washington, DC 20003; or International Campaign for Tibet, 1825 Jefferson Place N.W., Washington, DC 20036.
|Benjamin J. Sinkler |
Dr. Sinkler (ISU '37), 93, New Sharon, Iowa, died Nov. 17, 2004. He owned a practice in New Sharon. Dr. Sinkler's wife, Aline; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to New Sharon Fire and Rescue Association, New Sharon, IA 50207; or New Sharon United Methodist Youth Program, 101 S. Main St., New Sharon, IA 50207.
|Carl F. Stephan |
Dr. Stephan (ISU '34), 92, Manitowish Waters, Wis., died May 8, 2005. From 1949 until retirement in 1972, he owned Hyde Park Animal Hospital in Chicago. A World War II veteran, Dr. Stephan served in the Army, attaining the rank of captain.