July 01, 2005


 DEA Web site supplies valuable information - July 1, 2005


posted June 15, 2005

After receiving an increase in requests from AVMA members for information on how to properly maintain a stock of controlled substances, the AVMA reminds readers to consult the Office of Diversion Control, a Drug Enforcement Administration program. Answers to frequently asked questions are conveniently located on the office's Web site at www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/faq/general.htm.

Once logged on to the Web site, AVMA members can find information on what receiving records a practitioner or physician should maintain if they plan to stock controlled substances for dispensing and administering to their patients; the definition of a "readily retrievable" record; and what reports must be filed if a practitioner or physician experiences a theft or substantial loss of controlled substances. Information is also available on many other topics, including how to report a breakage or spillage of controlled substances and whether there are any special security requirements that a practitioner or physician should take if they plan to stock controlled substances.