May 15, 2005

 

 Obituaries - May 15, 2005

 

Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org

posted May 1, 2005
AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember
 

William E. Brennan

Dr. Brennan (WSU '45), 82, Seattle, died Dec. 19, 2004. Retired, he founded Bullard Animal Hospital in Seattle in 1956. During the Korean War, Dr. Brennan served as veterinarian for the dog-training center at what is now Fort Carson in Colorado Springs, Colo. He attained the rank of captain. Dr. Brennan is survived by his wife, Jane; two sons; and four daughters.

Thomas H. Bullington

Dr. Bullington (AUB '49), 82, Fayetteville, Tenn., died Feb. 8, 2005. Prior to retirement, he practiced in Fayetteville. Dr. Bullington had also served as mayor of Fayetteville. He was a past president of the Tennessee VMA and the Tennessee Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. Dr. Bullington was the first veterinarian to be named to the Tennessee Public Health Council by Governor Buford Ellington in 1967.

In 1984, he received special recognition from the TVMA for contributions to the association and veterinary medicine in Tennessee. Dr. Bullington's wife, Jean; four daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Washington Street Church of Christ Building Fund, 209 Washington St. E., Fayetteville, TN 37334; or American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368.

John P. Check

Dr. Check (OSU '48), 86, Eastman, Wis., died Nov. 26, 2004. Prior to retirement in 1981, he worked for the Department of Agriculture. Early in his career, Dr. Check practiced in Prairie du Chien, Wis., and Eastman. His wife, Margaret; a daughter; and a son survive him.

Marvin M. Corff

Dr. Corff (CAL '53), 84, McMinnville, Ore., died Feb. 11, 2005. Prior to retirement, he practiced in McMinnville for 30 years. Dr. Corff served in the Marine Corps during World War II in the South Pacific theatre. He received the Silver Star for gallantry in action. Dr. Corff's wife, Betty, and five children survive him.

Henry E. Everding III

Dr. Everding (COL '92), 38, Littleton, Colo., died Feb. 18, 2005. He owned Rocky Mountain Veterinary Surgery in Littleton since 2000. Earlier in his career, Dr. Everding served as chief of staff at Harrison Memorial Animal Hospital in Denver. His wife, Dr. Linda K. Dugger (COL '92), survives him. Memorials may be made to Ring Lake Ranch, P.O. Box 806, Dubois, WY 82513; or Fundacion Patagonia, Antares Patagonia Adventure, Barros Arana 111, Puerto Natales, Chile.

Richard C. Horn

Dr. Horn (UP '53), 76, Santa Ana, Calif., died Jan. 28, 2005. He owned Brookhurst Animal Hospital in Garden Grove, Calif. Dr. Horn was a member of the Southern California VMA.

George M. Hughes

Dr. Hughes (AUB '47), 82, Birmingham, Ala., died Feb. 8, 2005. He practiced predominantly small animal medicine in the Birmingham, Ala., area from 1971 until his retirement in 1989. Dr. Hughes was a member of the Jefferson County VMA.

Dr. Hughes served in the Army Veterinary Corps from 1950 until 1971, when he retired as a colonel. During that time, he earned the Army Commendation Medal. He was also a World War II veteran.

Dr. Hughes' wife, Mary; two sons; and two daughters survive him.

Alexander J. Manzoni

Dr. Manzoni (MSU '49), 76, Hemlock, Mich., died Jan. 2, 2005. During 1974 in Hemlock, Mich., he founded the Village Veterinary Clinic, a small animal practice that he later co-owned with his son, Dr. A. Michael Manzoni (MSU '82). Prior to that, he founded a large animal practice called the Hemlock Veterinary Clinic in 1949. He was active in local civic organizations.

Dr. Manzoni was a life member of the Michigan VMA and the Saginaw Valley VMA. During the Korean War, he was a first lieutenant in the Army Veterinary Corps.

Dr. Manzoni's wife, Jeanne; two sons; and three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Michigan Animal Health Foundation through the Michigan VMA, 2144 Commons Parkway, Okemos, MI 48864; or the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, 1931 N. Meacham Rd., Suite 100, Schaumburg, IL 60173.

Thomas S. McChesney

Dr. McChesney (COL '81), 57, Wellington, Colo., died Jan. 14, 2005. He owned Ambulatory Veterinary Service in Wellington for 22 years. Dr. McChesney's wife, Dr. Connie McChesney (COL '80), and three sons survive him. His father and sister, Drs. Tom McChesney (COL '44) and Sharon Gillette (COL '95), are veterinarians in Fort Collins, Colo.

James G. McClure

Dr. McClure (COR '69), 59, Fairfax, Va., died Feb. 16, 2005. He owned Northside Veterinary Clinic in Arlington, Va. Dr. McClure is survived by his wife, Ronetta; a son; and two daughters. His son and daughter-in-law, Drs. Adam J. McClure (COR '00) and Fiona H. McClure (NZ '92) are veterinarians in Arlington and Springfield, Va., respectively.

Memorials in his name may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368 (memo line to read "Prostate"); or Capital Hospice, 6565 Arlington Blvd., Suite 501, Falls Church, VA 22042.

John P. McIntosh

Dr. McIntosh (COR '28), 99, Kensington, Conn., died Jan. 5, 2005. Retired since 1981, he had owned Kensington Veterinary Hospital. Dr. McIntosh had also served as veterinarian at the Berlin (Connecticut) Fair for several years. He was a life member and past president of the Connecticut VMA. Dr. McIntosh had also served as president of the New England VMA. His son and daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to CCARC (Central Connecticut Association for Retarded Citizens Inc.), 950 Slater Road, New Britain, CT 06053.

Kenneth C. Perry

Dr. Perry (MSU '55), 83, Chicago, died March 18, 2005. He was the founder of Forest Glen Animal Hospital in Chicago. Dr. Perry was a life member of the Chicago VMA. A World War II veteran of the Navy and Army, he earned several honors, including four Bronze Stars. Dr. Perry attained the rank of sergeant.

His wife, Blanche, survives him.

Norman Pick

Dr. Pick (COR '56), 78, Oklahoma City, Okla., died Jan. 24, 2005. Retired, he founded Norman Foods, a meat supplier, in 1989. Following graduation, Dr. Pick practiced in Gibson City, Ill., for 10 years. In 1966, he joined Wilson Foods, working first in Chicago, and later, in Oklahoma City. Dr. Pick moved on to become president of Anderson Meat and Provisions.

He had been a member of the Illinois State VMA and a past president of the Eastern Illinois VMA. Dr. Pick is survived by his wife, Marilyn; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Class of '56 Scholarship Fund, Alumni Affairs and Development, Box 128, Ithaca, NY 14851; Hospice of Oklahoma County, 4334 N.W. Expressway St., Suite 106, Oklahoma City, OK 73116; or Village United Methodist Church, 2501 W. Britton Road, Oklahoma City, OK 73120.

Herman C. Ross

Dr. Ross (COL '50), 86, Kalispell, Mont., died Jan. 2, 2005. Retired, he owned Kalispell Animal Hospital. Dr. Ross served as president of the Montana VMA from 1964-1965.

In 1967, he founded Flathead Valley Community College, serving as chairman of the board until 1972. During that time, the FVCC was honored as the second most outstanding rural college in the country by the U.S. Department of Education. A member of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education since 1971, Dr. Ross was named chairman in 1977.

He served on the advisory board of the veterinary school at the University of California-Davis and veterinary colleges at Colorado and Washington state universities. Dr. Ross was honored as Flathead County's Outstanding Citizen, and received the Association of Community College Trustees Regional Trustee Leadership Award and the Eagle Award from the FVCC. In 2004, the college named its science and technology building after him.

Dr. Ross is survived by two daughters. Memorials may be made to the Science and Technology Building, Flathead Valley Community College, 777 Grandview Drive, Kalispell, MT 59901.

Malcolm M. Sharpe

Dr. Sharpe (COR '49), 84, West Palm Beach, Fla., died March 27, 2005. Prior to retirement in 1989, he owned South Dixie Animal Hospital in West Palm Beach. Dr. Sharpe was a member of the Florida VMA. His wife, Selma; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, P.O. Box 728, Ithaca, NY 14851.

John W. Siemens

Dr. Siemens (ISU '49), 78, Steilacoom, Wash., died Sept. 28, 2004. An equine practitioner, he established a practice in Spanaway, Wash., in 1961. Earlier in his career, Dr. Siemens had practiced in Wyoming and Illinois. He was a member of the Washington State VMA. Dr. Siemens' wife, Marilyn; two daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the Equine Scholarship Fund, c/o Iowa State University, 2524 Veterinary Medicine, Ames, IA 50011.

Charles L. Watterson

Dr. Watterson (OKL '73), 62, Miami, Okla., died Feb. 10, 2005. A small animal practitioner, he owned Watterson Veterinary Hospital in Miami. Dr. Watterson was a member of the Oklahoma VMA and had served on the admissions board for the Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine.

His wife, Melinda, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to First Presbyterian Church, 1410 N.E.Veterans Blvd., Miami, OK 74354; Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College Development Foundation, Multi Purpose Arena, Miami, OK 74354; or Oklahoma State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Stillwater, OK 74078.

Walter W. Weller

Dr. Weller (COL '42), 88, Wilsonville, Ore., died Feb. 26, 2005. He established the Eastgate Veterinary Clinic in Corvallis, Ore., in 1975. Prior to that, Dr. Weller owned the Ashland Veterinary Hospital in Ashland, Ore. A lifetime member and past president of the Oregon VMA, he had also served as president of the Oregon Veterinary Medical Examining Board. Dr. Weller's wife, Elizabeth; three daughters; and a son survive him.

Memorials may be made to the Boys and Girls Club of Corvallis, 1112 N.W. Circle Blvd., Corvallis, OR 97330.