|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
AVMA Honor Roll Member
|Michael A. Collier |
Dr. Collier (WSU '72), 59, Kapaau, Hawaii, died Feb. 3, 2005. An equine surgeon and research consultant at the Comparative Orthopedic Research Laboratory in Kapaau, he was dean of the College of Agriculture, Forestry and Natural Resource Management at the University of Hawaii-Hilo until early 2004.
Following graduation, Dr. Collier practiced at the Hualalai Ranch Veterinary Center. From 1981-1986, he served as chief of orthopedic surgery at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Collier then moved on to Oklahoma State University, where he held the Biggs/Oxley Endowed Professorship in Surgery and Sports Medicine and directed the Equine Sports Medicine Laboratory from 1995-1999.
In 1999, Dr. Collier joined the University of Hawaii-Hilo as an affiliate professor of equine surgery and sports medicine, becoming dean of the CAFNRM in 2001. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, he focused his research on the electrophysiology of bone growth, cartilage metabolism and healing, and the effects of laser energy on articular cartilage.
Dr. Collier's wife, Melanie, survives him.
|Edwin H. Ellison |
Dr. Ellison (TEX '57), 71, Fort Worth, Texas, died Feb. 1, 2005. Prior to retirement in 1998, he practiced in the Fort Worth area, owning the Wedgwood Animal Hospital for several years. Dr. Ellison had also served as mayor pro tem of Benbrook, Texas.
He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and a charter member of the Texas Academy of Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Ellison had chaired the Texas VMA Ethics and Grievance Committee and served as a district director. He was a past president of the Tarrant County VMA and the Tarrant County Veterinary Research Corporation. A trustee emeritus of the Morris Animal Foundation, Dr. Ellison received its Veterinary Honor Roll Award in 1993.
His wife, Louise, and four daughters survive him. Dr. Ellison's brother, Dr. David W. Ellison (TEX '62), is a veterinarian in Fort Worth. Memorials in his name may be made to the Morris Animal Foundation, 45 Iverness Drive E., Englewood, CO 80112.
|Robert Y. Foos |
Dr. Foos (CAL '53), 81, Los Angeles, died Oct. 26, 2004. Following graduation, he practiced in Victorville, Calif., for six years. Dr. Foos then pursued an M.D. degree, graduating from the University of California-Los Angeles in 1961.
He went on to become a 40-year faculty member of the UCLA Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine and served as director of the pathology laboratory at the Jules Stein Eye Institute for 30 years, before retiring in 1993. Dr. Foos was a member of the American Association of Ophthalmic Pathologists and the Verhoeff Ophthalmic Pathology Society.
His wife, Sunny; three sons; and a daughter survive him.
|David W. Francis |
Dr. Francis (ONT '57), 72, Plantation, Fla., died Sept. 7, 2004. Prior to retirement, he owned Arlington Animal Hospital and Northside Veterinary Clinic in Arlington, Va. Dr. Francis also took care of the Arlington County Police K-9 dogs. His two sons and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, 4217 Park Place Court, Glen Allen, VA 23060.
|Thomas P. Griffin |
Dr. Griffin (TEX '50), 81, Woodridge, Va., died Feb. 20, 2005. Prior to retirement, he was a nutritional representative with Hill's Pet Food Company for two years. Earlier, Dr. Griffin worked for Tracor-Jitco, the contractor managing the National Cancer Institute's Carcinogenesis Screening Program. He also consulted with the Central Intelligence Agency.
From 1941-1969, Dr. Griffin served in the Air Force, first as a bomber pilot during World War II, and, later, as a veterinary officer with the Air Force Veterinary Service. He attained the rank of colonel. Dr. Griffin was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine and a member of the Texas VMA. His wife, Florine, and a daughter survive him.
|John M. Hill |
Dr. Hill (TEX '69), 59, Cypress, Texas, died Feb. 8, 2005. He owned Cypress Veterinary Hospital for 33 years. Dr. Hill was a member of the Texas VMA. His wife, Brenda, and two sons survive him. Memorials toward the Texas A&M Foundation may be made to the Class of '69 Endowed Scholarship, c/o Noell Vance, Office of the Dean, College of Veterinary Medicine, TAMU 4461, College Station, TX 77843.
|Richard W. Redding |
Dr. Redding (OSU '46), 81, Auburn, Ala., died Nov. 21, 2004. Known for his expertise in veterinary neurophysiology and neurology, he was professor emeritus at Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine. During his tenure at Auburn University, which began in 1968, Dr. Redding held appointments in the departments of Physiology and Pharmacology, and Small Animal Surgery and Medicine, and the Scott-Ritchey Research Center. Prior to that, he taught and conducted research at the University of California-Davis, University of Georgia, and The Ohio State University.
Dr. Redding devoted much of his career to the development and clinical use of the electroencephalography in small animals, publishing a manual for canine electroencephalographic diagnoses. He was the primary author of "Atlas of Electro-encephalography in Dog and Cat." Dr. Redding's work also provided the foundation for decompressive canine spinal surgery, and his research on spinal trauma was influential in treatment methods utilized in emergency rooms today.
A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine, Dr. Redding was a charter member of the former American Veterinary Neurology Association. In 1978, he served on the AVMA Panel on Euthanasia. That same year, Dr. Redding was the recipient of the AVMA Gaines Award, recognizing his contributions to the advancement of small animal medicine and surgery.
While serving as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps, he conducted research in the chemical warfare service from 1946-1948. Dr. Redding's wife, Barbara, and three daughters survive him. Memorials designated for the Intensive Care Unit may be made to the East Alabama Medical Center Foundation, 2000 Pepperell Parkway, Opelika, AL 36801.
|Stephen J. Roberts |
Dr. Roberts (COR '38), 89, Bath, N.Y., died Jan. 21, 2005. Professor and twice chairman of the Department of Large Animal Medicine, Obstetrics, and Surgery at Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, he acquired emeritus status in 1972. Thereafter, he practiced large animal medicine in Woodstock, Vt., until retirement in 1993.
Following graduation, Dr. Roberts was an instructor in the Department of Surgery and Medicine at Kansas State University. In 1942, he joined the faculty of Cornell University, where he was one of the first members to advocate for a research component in all faculty appointments. Dr. Roberts was also known for his efforts to promote equine research at Cornell.
He was a member of the AVMA Council on Research from 1956-1959. Dr. Roberts was also a member of the AVMA Judicial Council from 1963-1966 and from 1967-1976, serving as chairman in 1965 and 1974. A charter diplomate of the American College of Theriogenologists, he authored "Veterinary Obstetrics and Genital Diseases," served as associate editor of the New York State VMS' Veterinary News, and was a past president of the Southern Tier VMA.
Dr. Roberts received the AVMA Borden Award in 1965 and the New York State VMS' Outstanding Veterinarian Award and Outstanding Service to Veterinary Medicine Award in 1966 and 1998, respectively. He coached men's polo at Cornell University from 1947-1972, winning eight national titles for the university. Dr. Roberts' positive influence on intercollegiate polo throughout the country resulted in his being inducted in the United States Polo Association Hall of Fame.
His wife, Ruth; a daughter; a son; and two stepdaughters survive him. Memorials in memory of Dr. Stephen Roberts '38 may be made to the Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine, Office of Alumni Affairs and Development, P.O. Box 728, Ithaca, NY 14853; or The Doc Roberts Fund for Polo, Attention: John Webster, Cornell University Athletics, Teagle Hall, Campus Road, Ithaca, NY 14853.
|Claude A. Smith |
Dr. Smith (OSU '35), 92, Hyattsville, Md., died Feb. 15, 2005. From 1948-1972, he worked for the Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C., and Hyattsville, retiring as a senior staff veterinarian at the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service. Earlier in his career with the USDA, Dr. Smith served as a field veterinarian in Tennessee, Puerto Rico, and Michigan; veterinarian-in-charge of the diagnostic laboratory in Lansing, Mich.; animal disease research veterinarian in Beltsville, Md.; district veterinary supervisor in Lansing; and assistant veterinarian-in-charge of the state of Washington.
He was in the Army Air Corps from 1942-1946, working in meat and dairy inspection. Dr. Smith attained the rank of major. His wife, Gerry; a daughter; and two sons survive him.
|Raymond S. Wagner |
Dr. Wagner (OSU '79), 52, Wooster, Ohio, died Feb. 13, 2005. He practiced in the Wooster area for the past 23 years. Dr. Wagner's wife, Kay, survives him. Memorials in his name may be made to PanCan for Pancreatic Cancer Research, 2221 Rosecrans Ave., Suite 131, El Segundo, CA 90245.
|Robert C. Wahl |
Dr. Wahl (ISU '43), 86, Loveland, Colo., died Oct. 30, 2004. Prior to retirement in 1983, he practiced in Sibley, Iowa. Following graduation, Dr. Wahl served in the Army Veterinary Corps during World War II. He attained the rank of captain. Dr. Wahl was a member of the American Legion. He had served on the Sibley school board and city council.
Dr. Wahl's wife, Margot; two daughters; and two sons survive him. Memorials in his name may be made to the Fisheries Bureau of the Department of Natural Resources, Educational Displays, 122 252nd Ave., Spirit Lake, IA 51360.
|Alexander E. Whaley |
Dr. Whaley (AUB '44), 85, St. Cloud, Fla., died Sept. 11, 2004. He was a large animal practitioner.
|Raymond C. Williford |
Dr. Williford (TEX '54), 74, Houston, died Feb. 25, 2005. Retired since 1993, he was the founder of Bellaire West Veterinary Clinic in Houston. Following graduation, Dr. Williford served with the Air Force in Germany for two years. He then practiced in Houston for four years. In 1960, Dr. Williford established Houston County Veterinary Hospital, a mixed practice, in Crockett, Texas.
He was a member of the Texas VMA. Dr. Williford is survived by his wife, Martha, and three daughters. Memorials may be made to the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, 650 W. 168, Houston, TX 77036; Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine, College Station, TX 77843; or Houston Hospice, 8811 Gaylord St., Suite 100, Houston, TX 77024.