|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
AVMA Honor Roll Member
Dr. Bisgeier (MSU '40), 87, Boynton Beach, Fla., died Nov. 16, 2004. From 1979 until retirement in 1988, he was a consulting veterinarian at Oakland University. Early in his career, Dr. Bisgeier worked as an inspector, first for the Department of Agriculture in Chicago, and, then, for the city of Pontiac, Mich. From 1946-1984, he owned Pontiac Veterinary Hospital. Dr. Bisgeier also served as vivarium director of the Pontiac Medical Science Laboratory, a division of Pontiac State Hospital.
He was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association, American Association for the Advancement of Science, American Association of Laboratory Animal Science, and American Association of Laboratory Animal Practitioners. Dr. Bisgeier was also a member of the Michigan VMA, Southeastern Michigan VMA, Oakland County VMA, Animal Welfare Institute, and National Wildlife Health Foundation.
His wife, Norma, survives him.
|Gerald W. Cornwell |
Dr. Cornwell (ISU '41), 86, Boone, Iowa, died Nov. 29, 2004. From 1943 until retirement in 1973, he owned a practice in Boone. Earlier in his career, Dr. Cornwell served as an instructor of small animal medicine at Iowa State College. He was a former board member of the Beef Improvement Association and the Iowa Polled Hereford Association.
Memorials may be made to the First United Methodist Church, 703 Arden St., Boone, IA 50036; or Boone Area Humane Society, 228 W. 16th St., Boone, IA 50036.
|Walter R. Haas |
Dr. Haas (COL '49), 80, Lihue, Hawaii, died Nov. 9, 2004. He practiced at Lihue Veterinary Hospital with his son, Dr. David E. Haas (COL '85). Earlier in his career, Dr. Haas served as state veterinarian of Hawaii.
A past president of the Hawaii VMA, he had served on the Hawaii Board of Veterinary Examiners. At the time of his death, Dr. Haas was involved with the Hawaii Marine Mammal Stranding Network and was a member of the Marine Sanctuary Advisory Committee. His wife, Mabel, and four sons survive him.
Memorials may be made to the National Marine Sanctuary Foundation, 8601 Georgia Ave., Suite 201, Silver Spring, MD 20910.
|John W. Hanover |
Dr. Hanover (OSU '46), 83, Forest Park, Ill., died June 17, 2004. He was the founder of Hanover Animal Hospital in Forest Park, practicing there until 1999. Early in his career, Dr. Hanover practiced at Avenue Animal Hospital in Oak Park, Ill. He served as co-chairman of the small animal section on the AVMA Convention Management and Program Committee in 1967.
A life member of the Illinois State VMA, Dr. Hanover chaired its executive board from 1971-1973 and served as its representative to the Health Careers Council of Illinois. He was also a past president of the Chicago VMA and a member of the Illinois Academy of Veterinary Medicine and the American Animal Hospital Association. Dr. Hanover received the ISVMA Veterinary Service Award for 1977.
His wife, Donna; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Dr. Hanover's son and grandson, Drs. John R. Hanover (MSU '68) and John J. Hanover (ILL '91), are veterinarians who live in Bristol, Wis., and Barrington Hills, Ill., respectively. Memorials may be made to the John W. Hanover Veterinary Education Endowment Fund, 1212 S. Naper Blvd., Suite 119-211, Naperville, IL 60540.
|Clarence W. Kidder |
Dr. Kidder (AUB '50), 78, Black Mountain, N.C., died July 8, 2004. Prior to retirement in 1998, he owned Kidder Animal Hospital in Belle Glade, Fla. Dr. Kidder was a member of the Rotary Club. His wife, Sue; a son; a daughter; three stepdaughters; and a stepson survive him.
Memorials may be made to Black Mountain United Methodist Church, P.O. Box 517, Black Mountain, NC 28711; or Asheville Humane Society, 180 Merrimon Ave., Asheville, NC 28801.
|Harry E. Kingman Jr. |
Dr. Kingman (COL '33), 93, Fort Collins, Colo., died Dec. 14, 2004. Executive secretary of the AVMA from 1958-1967, he was executive director of the National Society for Medical Research from 1966 until retirement in 1977. Following graduation, Dr. Kingman practiced in Monterey, Calif., for a year. He then worked for the Bureau of Animal Industry, first in Sacramento, Calif., and, later, at its pathology laboratory in Chicago.
In 1940, Dr. Kingman joined Wilson and Company of Chicago, serving as a liaison with the Department of Agriculture's Meat and Poultry Inspection Service and the livestock industry. He also supervised plant sanitation, research, and field service programs. Dr. Kingman became assistant executive secretary of the AVMA in 1953. During his career with the AVMA, he also served as secretary to the AVMA Judicial Council, managing editor of JAVMA, director of the AVMA Foundation, and secretary to the AVMA Group Health and Life Insurance Trust and Professional Liability Insurance Trust.
Dr. Kingman had also served as AVMA treasurer in 1951, as secretary to the World Veterinary Congress' United States Committee, and as a member of the Food and Drug Administration's National Advisory Food and Drug Council. A member of the Colorado VMA, he supported legislation to create Colorado State University's new Veterinary Teaching Hospital and helped organize the endowment fund board of the College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences.
Dr. Kingman is survived by a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Kingman Integrated Livestock Management Fund (Scholarship Fund #49945), CSU Foundation, P.O. Box 1870, Fort Collins, CO 80522; or the Veterinary Teaching Hospital Fund #48103 (in support of the Kingman Library), c/o Allnutt Funeral Service, Drake Road Chapel, 650 West Drake Road, Fort Collins, CO 80626.
|Jerome H. Krupp |
Dr. Krupp (CAL '58), 78, Tulsa, Okla., died Dec. 11, 2004. A retired lieutenant colonel with the Air Force, he was chief of the radiation physics branch of the Air Force School of Aerospace Medicine in Brooks City-Base, Texas.
Following graduation, Dr. Krupp worked for a year as a county veterinarian for the Department of Agriculture. After a brief period in mixed practice, he joined the faculty of the University of Colorado as assistant professor of surgery and director of the laboratory animal center. From 1965-1968, Dr. Krupp served in the same capacity at the University of Louisville.
He was a member of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science. Dr. Krupp is survived by a son and a daughter.
|Michael J. Miller |
Dr. Miller (ILL '75), 54, Palos Hills, Ill., died June 21, 2004. He practiced at Roberts Road Animal Clinic in Palos Hills. Known for his expertise in the care of geckoes, Dr. Miller was a past president of the Chicago Herpetological Society and served as an exotic animal consultant to the Lincoln Park and Brookfield zoos.
His two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the Michael J. Miller Scholarship Fund, c/o Riverside Bank, 17 E. Burlington St., Riverside, IL 60546.
|James E. O'Brien |
Dr. O'Brien (MSU '61), 78, Northbridge, Mass., died Nov. 1, 2004. Retired, he founded the Northbridge Veterinary Clinic in 1963 and owned Cryogenic Laboratories of New England. During his career, Dr. O'Brien also served as a professor of animal pathology at the University of Rhode Island, staff scientist at the Worcester Foundation for Experimental Biology, staff veterinarian at the Animal Rescue League of Boston, and veterinarian at Foxboro Raceway.
His wife, Carol; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials in Dr. O'Brien's name may be made to the Whitinsville Social Library, Church St., Whitinsville, MA 01588.
|Philip T. Parker |
Dr. Parker (OKL '55), 82, Plainfield, Ind., died June 27, 2004. He was a small animal practitioner.
|Leslie L. Parrett |
Dr. Parrett (OSU '49), 82, Sebring, Fla., died Nov. 13, 2004. Retired, he practiced in Plymouth, Ind., from 1949-1988. Dr. Parrett's wife, Janelle; a son; and a daughter survive him. His brother, Dr. Carey M. Parrett (OSU '50), is a veterinarian in Indianapolis.
Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368-2454; Humane Society, 11165 13th Road, Plymouth, IN 46563; or Covenant Presbyterian Church, 4500 Sun 'N Lake Blvd., Sebring, FL 33872.
|Nils W. Robertson |
Dr. Robertson (COR '73), 56, West Boylston, Mass., died Nov. 7, 2004. He co-owned Abbott Animal Hospital in Worcester, Mass., since 1980. Earlier in his career, Dr. Robertson practiced at Shrewsbury Animal Hospital in Shrewsbury, Mass., for seven years. His wife, Theresa, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Holden Chapel, 279 Reservoir St., Holden, MA 01520.
|Claire L.S. Seifert |
Dr. Seifert (VMR '96), 51, Memphis, Tenn., died Sept. 19, 2004. From 1996 until 2002, she practiced at Pender Veterinary Clinic in Fairfax, Va. Dr. Seifert's husband, Paul, survives her. Memorials may be made to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital, 501 St. Jude Place, Memphis, TN 38105.
|Wallace J. Stephenson |
Dr. Stephenson (KSU '51), 85, Papillion, Neb., died Oct. 27, 2004. From 1963 until retirement in 1986, he worked as a meat inspector in Omaha. Prior to that, Dr. Stephenson practiced large animal medicine in Nebraska. Early in his career, he served as a veterinarian with the Air Force.
Dr. Stephenson's wife, Patricia; four sons; and four daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to St. Columbkille Building Fund, 200 E. 6th St., Papillion, NE 68046.