|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
|AVMA member |
AVMA honor roll member
|David Barsky |
Dr. Barsky (COR '35), 91, Beverly Hills, Calif., died Jan. 10, 2004. Retired, he had established the Port Washington Animal Hospital in Port Washington, N.Y., in 1952, and was one of the founders of the North Shore Animal League. During his career, Dr. Barsky also served as a director and veterinarian for Primate Imports of Port Washington, and as adjunct professor at New York University, where he also conducted research.
An Army veteran, he served as a major in the Veterinary Corps. While in the Pacific Theatre, Dr. Barsky was awarded the Bronze Star. His daughter survives him.
|James E. Boyd |
Dr. Boyd (KSU '57), 71, Bellevue, Neb., died Feb. 24, 2004. From 1963 until retirement in 2003, he owned Bellevue Animal Hospital. Earlier in his career, Dr. Boyd owned Plattsmouth Veterinary Practice in Plattsmouth, Neb. An Air Force veteran, he served as base veterinarian in California from 1958-1961. Dr. Boyd attained the rank of captain.
He served on the Nebraska Board of Examiners in Veterinary Medicine and Surgery from 1986-1996. Dr. Boyd was a member of the American Animal Hospital Association and a charter member of the Animal Emergency Clinic in Omaha, Neb. A member of the Nebraska VMA, he had served on its board of directors. Dr. Boyd was also a member and past president of the Omaha VMA.
He was past director and past president of the Bellevue Chamber of Commerce and Board of Education, respectively. Dr. Boyd's wife, Inez; two daughters; and a son survive him. His nephew, Dr. Gregory S. Hammer (KSU '73), is a veterinarian in Dover, Del., and a member of the AVMA Executive Board. Memorials may be made to College of Veterinary Medicine, Kansas State University, Trotter Hall, 1700 Anderson, Manhattan, KS 66502-9909.
|Raymond Fagan |
Dr. Fagan (COR '39), 89, Richmond, Va., died Feb. 1, 2004. Prior to retirement, he was a senior research scientist at Phillip Morris Research Center in Richmond. During his career, Dr. Fagan also worked for Wyeth Laboratories and the United States Public Health Service. He was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine. An Army veteran of World War II, Dr. Fagan attained the rank of captain. His three daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Bon Secours Hospice, 8580 Magellan Parkway, Building IV, Richmond, VA 23227.
|Stanley G. Harris |
Dr. Harris (KSU '60), 67, Pueblo West, Colo., died March 2, 2004. He was part owner of Hilltop Pet Clinic in Pueblo West. Earlier in his career, Dr. Harris had served on the faculty of the Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine. He was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Internal Medicine.
Dr. Harris served in the Army, attaining the rank of captain. He is survived by his wife, Dr. Kathleen M. Harris (ROS '91); two daughters; a son; and a stepson. Memorials may be made to the American Heart Association, 1280 S. Parker Road, Denver, CO 80231; or Morris Animal Foundation, 45 Inverness Drive E., Englewood, CO 80112.
|Maurice W. Hull |
Dr. Hull (KSU '45), 81, Mesa, Ariz., died Dec. 4, 2003. From 1962 until retirement in 1985, he was professor of veterinary physiology at Montana State University. Earlier in his career, Dr. Hull practiced in Clay Center, Kan. From 1973-1975, he helped establish a veterinary school in Zaria, Nigeria. Dr. Hull also visited the University of Alexandria in Egypt as part of an exchange program.
He is survived by his wife, Roberta; a son; and two daughters. Dr. Hull's son, Dr. Daniel B. Hull (WSU '74), is a veterinarian in North Bend, Ore.
|Leslie E. McQuinn |
Dr. McQuinn (ONT '51), 81, Penobsquis, New Brunswick, Canada, died Sept. 18, 2003. From 1979 until retirement in 1994, he owned a small animal practice in Penobsquis and inspected livestock auction barns for the province of New Brunswick. Following graduation, Dr. McQuinn served as district veterinary practitioner in Rexton, New Brunswick. From 1956-1979, he worked for the Canadian Department of Agriculture, first in contagious diseases and then in poultry inspection.
Dr. McQuinn served as president of the New Brunswick Veterinary Association in 1963. He was a veteran of the Royal Canadian Air Force. Dr. McQuinn is survived by three sons and two daughters. Memorials may be made to St. Paul's United Church, 430 Main, Sussex, New Brunswick EOE 1PO, Canada; or Alzheimer's Society of New Brunswick, P.O. Box 1553, Station A, Fredericton, New Brunswick E3B 542, Canada.
|Loren F. Minear |
Dr. Minear (MIN '72), 61, Glenville, Minn., died Feb. 18, 2004. He owned Skyline Veterinary Clinic in Albert Lea, Minn., since 1979. Dr. Minear also owned Austin Animal Care Veterinary Clinic in Austin, Minn., since 1992. An Air Force veteran, he was a member of the American Legion.
Dr. Minear's wife, Diane; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368-2454.
|Robert L. Morin |
Dr. Morin (TEX '44), 85, Clinton, Ill., died Feb. 4, 2004. He had practiced in Clinton and DeWitt counties (Illinois) since 1944. During his career, Dr. Morin also served as animal control administrator for DeWitt County Animal Control for more than 30 years. He was a lifetime member of the Illinois State VMA. Dr. Morin was also a member of the American Quarter Horse Association.
His wife, Lillian, and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Second Chance for Pets, Clinton, IL 61727.
|Robert G. Pyle |
Dr. Pyle (MIN '51), 81, Blaine, Minn., died Oct. 20, 2003. Prior to retirement, he worked for the Minnesota Board of Animal Health for more than 25 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Pyle practiced in Delano, Minn. He was a life member of the Minnesota VMA. A Navy veteran of World War II, Dr. Pyle was awarded a Purple Heart.
His son and two stepchildren survive him.
|Grace C. Robinson |
Dr. Robinson (TEX '72), 55, Dallas, died Feb. 6, 2004. A small animal practitioner, she had owned Self-Robinson Animal Clinic and Pet Health Care Oakcliff in Dallas.
|Ronald G. Rocke |
Dr. Rocke (ILL '62), 65, Elgin, Ill., died Sept. 27, 2003. He had practiced small animal medicine in Elgin. Dr. Rocke was a lifetime member of the Illinois State VMA.
|Arthur E. Segedy |
Dr. Segedy (OSU '76), 53, Aurora, Ohio, died Oct. 31, 2003. An equine practitioner, he established the Aurora Veterinary Clinic in 1982, and it evolved into the Aurora Equine Veterinary Services Inc. and the Equine Specialty Hospital Inc. Dr. Segedy was a member of the Ohio VMA and the American Association of Equine Practitioners. He was instrumental in founding North Eastern Ohio Equine Practitioners, serving as its first president. Dr. Segedy was also a member of the Ohio Professional Horsemen's Association.
He served as a captain in the Air Force Veterinary Corps. Dr. Segedy's wife, Kimber Lea; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice of the Western Reserve, 4110 Warrensville Center Road, Warrensville Heights, OH 44122.
|James J. Spurgeon |
Dr. Spurgeon (OSU '53), 80, Bradley, Ill., died March 5, 2003. Retired, he had been part owner of the Bradley Animal Hospital for 43 years. Dr. Spurgeon was a lifetime member of the Illinois State VMA and the Kankakee Valley VA. A Navy veteran, he served in the Pacific Theater from 1943-1946. Dr. Spurgeon's wife, Ruth, and two daughters survive him.
Memorials may be made to Hospice of Kankakee Valley, 1015 N. 5th Ave., Kankakee, IL 60901; or Bradley Church of Christ, 1505 E. Broadway, Bradley, IL 60915.