|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
AVMA honor roll member
|Raymond R. Allen |
Dr. Allen (COR '32), 95, Southborough, Mass., died Dec. 8, 2003. Retired, he served as veterinarian for the commonwealth of Massachusetts while also operating a large animal practice. In addition, Dr. Allen managed a dairy farm in Southborough. Earlier in his career, he worked for the Department of Agriculture for 30 years, inspecting and inoculating farm animals throughout Massachusetts.
Dr. Allen donated his time and skills to Heifer Project International. His wife, Katherine; four daughters; and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Heifer Project International, P.O. Box 8058, Little Rock, AR 72203; or Thomas Munson Foundation Scholarship Fund, Allen Scholarship, c/o Roberta Marianella, 24 Patten Road, Wallingford, CT 06492.
|Ray A. Ashwander |
Dr. Ashwander (AUB '42), 84, Decatur, Ala., died July 8, 2003. He was the founder of Ashwander Animal Clinic in Decatur. Following graduation, Dr. Ashwander practiced in Tuscaloosa, Ala., for three years. In 1952, the governor appointed him to the Alabama State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. Dr. Ashwander went on to serve the board as secretary-treasurer and executive director.
He was a past president of the Alabama VMA, receiving its Distinguished Service Award in 1982 and Special Award in 1995. Dr. Ashwander was a member and past president of the Decatur Lions Club. His wife, Elizabeth; three sons; and two daughters survive him. One son, Dr. Charles W. Ashwander (AUB '79), is a veterinarian in Decatur.
Memorials may be made to the Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine Foundation, Auburn University, AL 36849; or First United Methodist Church, 805 Canal St. N.E., Decatur, AL 35601.
|John G. Bee |
Dr. Bee (OSU '55), 77, Ojai, Calif., died Dec. 1, 2003. In 1956, he founded Matilija Veterinary Hospital in Ojai, practicing there until his retirement in 1991. Dr. Bee bred and exhibited Morgan and Clydesdale show horses. He helped establish California's program to test show and race horses for prohibited drugs.
Dr. Bee was a member of the California VMA. A World War II veteran, he served as an infantryman during the Rhineland Campaign. Dr. Bee was a member of the Ojai School Board. He is survived by his wife, Susan; two sons; and a stepson. Memorials may be made to the Humane Society of Ventura County, P.O. Box 297, Ojai, CA 93024.
|Grant E. Blake |
Dr. Blake (TEX '46), 83, Flagstaff, Ariz., died Dec. 24, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1979, he worked for the Department of Agriculture as director of the western United States, including the South Pacific Islands. During his career with the USDA, Dr. Blake also served as assistant veterinarian in charge of animal disease eradication activities, senior staff veterinarian of program appraisal, and assistant director and veterinarian-in-charge for the Animal Health Division in Des Moines, Iowa.
Following graduation, he practiced in Provo, Utah. Dr. Blake went on to become veterinary director of the Utah Fur Breeders Cooperative. In 1947, he joined the Bureau of Animal Industry in Mexico, later serving as field veterinarian in Utah, Maryland, and Wisconsin. During his time in Maryland, Dr. Blake was in charge of the brucellosis antigen production laboratory. Under his direction, the milk ring test antigen was produced on a mass scale. In 1951, Dr. Blake was assigned to full-time research on brucellosis of cattle, establishing testing laboratories throughout the United States.
Dr. Blake was a member of the National Association of Federal Veterinarians and the United States Animal Health Association, and a past secretary of the District of Columbia VMA. His wife, Ladell; three sons; and two daughters survive him.
|Alfred L. Bortree |
Dr. Bortree (MSU '44), 87, State College, Pa., died Dec. 7, 2003. He was professor emeritus of veterinary science at Pennsylvania State University. Following graduation, Dr. Bortree served as veterinary professor at Michigan State University's Department of Bacteriology. In 1948, he joined the faculty of Penn State University, heading the Department of Veterinary Science from 1953 until his retirement in 1978. Dr. Bortree also chaired the division of animal science from 1964-1970 and specialized in mastitis research. Upon his retirement, he was honored by the creation of an endowed scholarship in his name. The department also recognized Dr. Bortree's contributions by the creation of the A.L. Bortree lecture series.
He served as president of the Pennsylvania VMA in 1980. Dr. Bortree received the association's Distinguished Service Award in 1978 and was named Pennsylvania Veterinarian of the Year in 1982. He was a member of the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, Conference of Research Workers in Animal Diseases, and the American Dairy Association.
Dr. Bortree's wife, Edna, and two sons survive him. Memorials may be made to Easter Seals of Central Pennsylvania, 1300 S. Allen St., State College, PA 16806.
|John P. Cousins |
Dr. Cousins (MO '79), 51, Overland Park, Kan., died July 4, 2003. He was a small animal practitioner.
|Jacob Finkelstein |
Dr. Finkelstein (UP '43), 88, Norristown, Pa., died Dec. 3, 2003. From 1948-1981, he owned a practice in Norristown, eventually combining acupuncture with traditional therapies. Dr. Finkelstein also volunteered at the Elmwood Park Zoo.
A World War II veteran, he served as a captain in the Army Veterinary Corps. The Norristown Fraternal Order of Police named Dr. Finkelstein Man of the Year for his assistance in establishing its canine operation. He served on the Norristown School Board and the Norristown Board of Health. Dr. Finkelstein was also a board member of the American Veterinarians for Israel. His wife, Irene; a daughter; and a son survive him.
Memorials may be made to the University of Pennsylvania Veterinary Hospital, 39th and Spruce Sts., Philadelphia, PA 19192.
|George W. Fischer |
Dr. Fischer (MO '52), 78, Mankato, Minn., died July 9, 2003. From 1977 until retirement in 1995, he owned Mankato Pet Hospital. Earlier in his career, Dr. Fischer worked for the state of Wisconsin Center for Disease Control and was involved with poultry disease research and vaccine production.
He was an Army veteran of World War II. Dr. Fischer served with the Boy Scouts for more than 50 years. His wife, Dena; three sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Boy Scouts of America, 810 Madison Ave., Mankato, MN 56001; or Rotary Strive Program, Rotary International, District 5950 Office, 11251 Red Fox Drive, Maple Grove, MN 55369.
|Richard S. Gardner |
Dr. Gardner (OSU '41), 87, Chillicothe, Ohio, died July 14, 2003. He was a small animal practitioner.
|James W. Goris |
Dr. Goris (UP '47), 80, Coram, N.Y., died Nov. 21, 2003. Retired, he owned Hicksville Animal Hospital in Plainview, N.Y., from 1947-1972. During his career, Dr. Goris also served as medical director of Bide-A-Wee Home in Wantagh, N.Y. He was a past president of the Long Island VMA.
Dr. Goris had served as president of the Hicksville Rotary Club. His wife, Mary; a daughter; and a son survive him. Dr. Goris' niece, Dr. Mary F. Green (FL '92), is a veterinarian in Lutz, Fla.
|Henry W. Hall Jr. |
Dr. Hall (AUB '58), 69, Franklin, Tenn., died July 30, 2003. He owned Hall Veterinary Clinic, a mixed practice in Franklin. Dr. Hall was Tennessee's alternate delegate to the AVMA in 1973 and 1974. He served on the Tennessee Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners. A member of the Tennessee VMA, Dr. Hall was named Practitioner of the Year in 1983.
His wife, Lois; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to Williamson County 4-H Club, 4215 Long Lane, Franklin, TN 37064; or American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368.
|G. Neal Hill |
Dr. Hill (CAL '59), 74, Bristol, Tenn., died Nov. 13, 2003. He owned Parkway Animal Clinic in Bristol. Following graduation, Dr. Hill practiced at Owyhee Veterinary Clinic in Homedale, Idaho, for a year. In 1960, he joined Hess and Clark Inc., in Ashland, Ohio, as a research veterinarian. Dr. Hill went on to serve as director of veterinary medicine and veterinary clinical medicine for Beecham Massengill Laboratories in Bristol.
He was an associate member of the American Animal Hospital Association and a member of the Tennessee VMA. A Korean War veteran, Dr. Hill served in the Marine Corps, attaining the rank of captain. He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Bronze Star. Dr. Hill is survived by his wife, Shirley; a son; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to Redeemer Lutheran Church, Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center, VU Station B 357727, 2301 Vanderbilt Place, Nashville, TN 37235.
|Samuel Hodesson |
Dr. Hodesson (OSU '43), 91, Tucson, Ariz., died Nov. 27, 2003. Retired, he had served on the faculty of the University of Arizona School of Veterinary Medicine, being named director of the college's Division of Animal Resources in 1967. During his career, Dr. Hodesson also practiced in southern California, served as veterinarian at the University of California-Los Angeles Center for Health Sciences, and was associated with the Air Force School of Aviation Medicine.
He was a diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine and a past president of the Arizona VMA. Dr. Hodesson served as a captain in the Air Force Veterinary Corps during the Korean War. He was contributing editor for Dog News Magazine for 12 years. Dr. Hodesson is survived by his wife, Marian.
|Willard D. Ommert |
Dr. Ommert (TEX '43), 86, Temecula, Calif., died Jan. 2, 2004. A retired equine practitioner, he owned Los Caballos Veterinary Hospital in Temecula. Prior to that, Dr. Ommert owned practices in Monrovia and Hollydale, Calif. Early in his career, he was in mixed practice in Los Angeles. Dr. Ommert served as veterinarian for the 1962-1964 National Final Rodeos and the 1984 Olympics, both held in Los Angeles.
The first veterinarian to become a member of the International Arthroscopy Association, he performed equine arthroscopy surgery. Dr. Ommert was a past board member of the California Thoroughbred Breeders Foundation and the California Polytechnic University Pomona Equine Research Unit. He served as the California equine representative for the Morris Animal Foundation.
Dr. Ommert was a World War II veteran. His wife, Pat, and two daughters survive him.
|Robert D. Painter |
Dr. Painter (WSU '60), 72, Helena, Mont., died Nov. 22, 2003. Prior to retirement, he owned Helena Veterinary Service, a mixed practice. Dr. Painter was a life member of the Montana VMA. He served on the AVMA Committee on Impaired Veterinarians from 1985-1989.
Dr. Painter's wife, Grace, and two sons survive him.
|Anthony J. Prasnikar |
Dr. Prasnikar (KSU '42), 85, Schaumburg, Ill., died Sept. 13, 2003. Retired, he was co-founder of the Arlington Heights Animal Hospital. A member of the Illinois State VMA, Dr. Prasnikar served as president of the Illinois Health Professions Interprofessional Council from 1971-1972.
His wife, Helen; five daughters; and a son survive him. Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer's Association, 4709 Golf Road, Suite 1015, Skokie, IL 60076; or American Heart Association, 208 S. LaSalle St., Suite 900, Chicago, IL 60604.
|Elwin R. Prather |
Dr. Prather (KSU '41), 86, Lenexa, Kan., died Dec. 4, 2003. A retired Army Veterinary Corps colonel, he was a professional representative for Hill's Pet Nutrition from 1976-1981. Following graduation, Dr. Prather joined the Army Veterinary Corps as post veterinarian in Fort Leavenworth, Kan. During World War II, he served in the China-Burma-India theatre. After the war, Dr. Prather practiced in Kansas City, Mo. He rejoined the Army in 1949, retiring in 1976 as the first command veterinarian of the Health Service Command in Fort Sam Houston. Dr. Prather received several awards and citations, including two Legions of Merit.
He was a life member of the Missouri VMA and the Veterans of Foreign Wars. Dr. Prather is survived by his wife, Teresa; two sons; and two daughters. Memorials may be made to Kansas State University College of Veterinary Medicine, Manhattan, KS 66506; Army Medical Museum, Fort Sam Houston, San Antonio, TX 78234; or Lakeview Village Foundation, Lenexa, KS 66215.
|Michael L. Wiseman |
Dr. Wiseman (PHI '69), 60, Baltimore, died July 7, 2003. He was a relief veterinarian. From 1970-2000, Dr. Wiseman owned Old Court Animal Hospital in Pikesville, Md. He was a member of the Maryland VMA. Dr. Wiseman's wife, Shelley; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Society for Technion, Baltimore Chapter, 106 Old Court Road, Suite 302, Baltimore, MD 21208.