|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
|Carolyn S. Blakey |
Dr. Blakey (PUR '67), 65, Richmond, Ind., died Oct. 11, 2003. From 1976 until retirement in 2000, she owned Westside Animal Clinic in Richmond, incorporating alternative therapies such as acupuncture and homeopathy in her practice.
Dr. Blakey was a board member and president of the Society for the Preservation and Use of Resources, and the founder of the Help the Animals organization. Her husband, George, survives her.
|Raymond W. Cook |
Dr. Cook (TEX '59), 73, Waco, Texas, died June 3, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1992, he worked for the Texas A&M Extension Service as a poultry specialist. Earlier in his career, Dr. Cook was a poultry consultant for the American Cynamid Company's agricultural division. Following graduation, he practiced in Ennis, Texas.
Dr. Cook was a member of the Ennis Jaycees and Lions Club, and served on the board of the Ennis Independent School District. His wife, Nelle; a son; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Woodway First United Methodist Church Building Fund, 9191 Woodway Drive, Woodway, TX 76712; Providence Hospice, 4830 Lakewood Drive, Waco, TX 76710; or the Waco A&M Club Scholarship Fund, Waco, TX 76710.
|Ahmed H. Dardiri |
Dr. Dardiri (CAI '44), 88, Frankenmuth, Mich., died Oct. 4, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1984, he was laboratory chief of diagnostic research and service at the Department of Agriculture's Plum Island Animal Disease Center in New York. Earlier in his career, Dr. Dardiri served as an associate professor at the University of Rhode Island. He also served as an adjunct professor at Cornell University, University of Pennsylvania, and the University of Rhode Island.
From 1951-1955, Dr. Dardiri was an officer in the Veterinary and Animal Breeding Division of the Egyptian Ministry of Agriculture. He also served with the International Cooperation Administration in Egypt. During that assignment, Dr. Dardiri coordinated a mass distribution program of American poultry to Egyptian farmers. He wrote articles on equine encephalomyelitis, evaluations of vaccines for Newcastle disease, and pathogenic and orphan viruses.
Dr. Dardiri was a charter member of the Society of Microbiologists. He was also a member of the Scientific Research Society. In 1987, Dr. Dardiri received a USDA research citation for his continued research and interest in protecting the livestock of the United States. He was also the recipient of the Postdoctoral Veterinary Alumnus Award from Michigan State University in 1992. Dr. Dardiri was a past president of the Southold (New York) Rotary Club.
His wife, Lucille, survives him.
|Joseph S. Hansen |
Dr. Hansen (UP '61), 73, Glenolden, Pa., died Oct. 9, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1996, he owned a practice in Glenolden for 36 years. During his career, Dr. Hansen also taught small animal breeding and whelping at the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine.
A Korean War veteran, he served as a sergeant in the Army. Dr. Hansen was a merit badge counselor for the Boy Scouts of Delaware County and volunteered at schools. His wife, Joan, and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to Shriner's Hospital for Crippled Children, 3551 N. Broad St., Philadelphia, PA 19140.
|Hubert E. Jeffers |
Dr. Jeffers (KSU '66), 62, Garden City, Kan., died Sept. 22, 2003. Prior to retirement in 2003, he worked for the Department of Agriculture as a supervisor of veterinary medicine for 14 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Jeffers owned large animal practices in Cedarville, Kan., and Kulm, N.D.
His wife, Kathleen, and two daughters survive him. Dr. Jeffers' cousin, Dr. Marlin Jeffers (KSU '67), is a veterinarian in Casa Grande, Ariz. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368-2454.
|Richard H. Kirchgatter |
Dr. Kirchgatter (ISU '63), 65, Canton, Mich., died May 20, 2003. He practiced at the Parkway Veterinary Clinic in Canton. Dr. Kirchgatter was a member of the Michigan VMA. His wife, Elaine, survives him.
|Rex A. Malmberg |
Dr. Malmberg (COR '43), 84, New Smyrna Beach, Fla., died Oct. 2, 2003. From 1961 until retirement in 1978, he owned Malmberg Veterinary Clinic in New Smyrna Beach. Earlier in his career, Dr. Malmberg practiced in Jamestown, N.Y. Following graduation and until 1947, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps, attaining the rank of captain. Dr. Malmberg helped establish the Southeast Volusia Humane Society in New Smyrna Beach. He was a member of the New York State VMS and the Florida VMA. Dr. Malmberg was also a member of the American Legion of Edgewater.
He is survived by his wife, Judy; two daughters; and a son. Memorials may be made to the Southeast Volusia Humane Society, 1200 S. Glencoe Road, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168.
|William E. Mottram |
Dr. Mottram (WSU '37), 89, Lake Oswego, Ore., died Sept. 23, 2003. From 1973 until retirement in 1981, he served as the veterinarian for the San Francisco Zoo. During that time, Dr. Mottram also served as interim director for a year. Prior to that, he owned a practice in San Francisco, also treating San Francisco police horses. Earlier in his career, Dr. Mottram treated Thoroughbred horses at Tanforan and Bay Meadows racetracks, specializing in equine dentistry.
A World War II veteran, he served as a veterinarian for the 74th Field Artillery. Dr. Mottram is survived by his wife, Joyce, and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Coyote Point Museum, 1651 Coyote Point Drive, San Mateo, CA 94401; or the Peninsula Humane Society, 12 Airport Blvd., San Mateo, CA 94401.
|Peter A. Olson |
Dr. Olson (MIN '69), 57, Milwaukie, Ore., died June 2, 2003. He practiced small animal medicine in Milwaukie, Ore.
|Clarence H. Pals |
Dr. Pals (ISU '32), 96, Alexandria, Va., died Oct. 25, 2003. Following graduation and until 1965, he worked for the Department of Agriculture, retiring as director of federal meat inspection. Dr. Pals then became executive vice president and editor of the National Association of Federal Veterinarian's "The Federal Veterinarian." In 1967, Dr. Pals was named director of market development and research for Bauer International Corporation.
He served as chair of the former AVMA Food Hygiene Committee and helped organize the American Association of Food Hygiene Veterinarians. Dr. Pals served as a delegate to the World Association of Veterinary Food Hygienists, and as president in 1961 and 1965. He also served as a delegate to the Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, the Food and Agriculture Organization, and the World Food Congress from the World Veterinary Association. Dr. Pals was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Preventive Medicine.
In 1953 and 1959, he was awarded the Certificate of Merit by the Department of Agriculture. Dr. Pals received the Superior Service Award from the secretary of agriculture in 1955. A member of the Boy Scouts of America, he chaired the Alexandria District and the Eagle Board of Review, receiving a Silver Beaver Award in 1957. Dr. Pals is survived by a son and a daughter. His son, Dr. Calvan H. Pals (ISU '59), is a veterinarian in Bowie, Md.
|Alan W. Robinson |
Dr. Robinson (AUB '87), 42, Melbourne Village, Fla., died Oct. 27, 2003. He owned Calling on Pets, a house-call practice in Brevard County, Fla., since 1998. Prior to that, Dr. Robinson owned Animal Medical Clinic and West Palm Animal Clinic in Lake Park, and West Palm Beach, Fla., respectively.
His wife, Martha; two sons; and two daughters survive him. Memorials may be made to the American Homestead Foundation Endowment Fund, Melbourne Village Tree Project, 535 Hammock Road, Melbourne Village, FL 32904.