|Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org|
|AVMA Honor Roll Member|
|Elihu Bond |
Dr. Bond (MID '42), 85, New Paltz, N.Y., died June 20, 2003. Prior to retirement, he was a consulting veterinarian for the Central Park Zoo and the animal laboratory facilities at Westchester Medical Center and New York University. At NYU, he co-developed a rabbit pox vaccine. From 1943-1948, Dr. Bond owned a practice in New London, Conn. He then taught parasitology and macrobiotics at the University of Chicago and served as a consulting veterinarian for the Lincoln Park Zoo. In 1953, Dr. Bond founded the Bond Animal Hospital in White Plains, N.Y., practicing there for 30 years. During his career, he also served as veterinary consultant to the Veterans Administration Hospital, consultant to the Council on Accreditation for the Association for Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, and as veterinarian for the Flushing Zoo.
In retirement, Dr. Bond helped inspect veterinary facilities and served as a wildlife rehabilitator in the mid-Hudson region. He was a diplomate of the American College of Laboratory Animal Medicine. One of the founders of the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science, Dr. Bond served as president of its Metropolitan branch in 1966. He also served as president of the Westchester-Rockland VMA in 1966. Dr. Bond was past chair of the Small Animal Practice Committee of the New York State VMS, and was named the society's Veterinarian of the Year in 1976.
His wife, Lillian; a daughter; a stepdaughter; and a stepson survive him. Memorials may be made to the Hospice Foundation Inc., 374 Violet Ave., Poughkeepsie, NY 12601.
|Daniel G. Brown |
Dr. Brown (AUB '56), 80, Knoxville, Tenn., died Aug. 22, 2003. From 1972 until retirement in 1995, he owned Cedar Bluff Animal Clinic in Knoxville. Prior to that, Dr. Brown served on the faculty of the University of Tennessee in Oakridge for 14 years, earning tenure as a professor of radiation biology. He also worked in the same capacity for the United States Atomic Energy Commission in Oakridge.
A life member and past president of the Tennessee VMA, Dr. Brown served on its Veterinary College Liaison Committee and was the recipient of its Veterinary Award. He was also a past president of the East Tennessee VMA. Dr. Brown had been a member of the Radiation Research Society and the Health Physics Society. He participated in several symposiums relating to the effects of irradiation in animals.
Dr. Brown served in the Navy from 1944-1946. His wife, Margaret; two daughters; and a son survive him.
|Richard J. Brown |
Dr. Brown (COL '62), 70, Pensacola, Fla., died Aug. 12, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1999, he was head pathologist at the Mississippi Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory in Jackson. Dr. Brown also worked as a diagnostic research pathologist for contract laboratories in Arkansas, Louisiana, and Italy. An Air Force veteran, he served as a pilot and worked on the animal phase of the Project Mercury space program. Later, he conducted research with the Navy in Taiwan, Indonesia, and the Navy Aerospace Medical Research Laboratory in Pensacola. Dr. Brown attained the rank of lieutenant colonel. He was a diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Pathologists.
Dr. Brown's wife, Jo Ann, and four sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Christian Veterinary Mission (Ethno Vet), 19303 Fremont Ave. N., Seattle, WA 98133.
|Marshall D. Conrad |
Dr. Conrad (MO '50), 80, Liberty, Mo., died Sept. 6, 2003. Retired, he owned a practice in Plattsburg, Mo., for 40 years. Dr. Conrad was a member of the Missouri VMA. He was a Navy veteran of World War II. Dr. Conrad served on the Plattsburg School Board for six years and on the board of directors of the First National Bank for more than 20 years. His wife, Janie; four sons; a daughter; a stepson; and a stepdaughter survive him.
Memorials may be made to the Liberty Christian Church Memorial Fund, 427 E. Kansas St., Liberty, MO 64068.
|Irwin W. Frock |
Dr. Frock (OSU '35), 89, Westminster, Md., died July 13, 2003. An equine practitioner, he was the founder of Reisterstown Veterinary Center in Reisterstown, Md. Dr. Frock was a member of the Maryland VMA and the AAEP.
A World War II veteran, he served in the Army Veterinary Corps. Dr. Frock is survived by his wife, June; two sons; and a daughter. Memorials may be made to the Trinity United Church of Christ, P.O. Box 730, Manchester, MD 21102.
|James W. Hubbard |
Dr. Hubbard (MO '54), 75, Scottsdale, Ariz., died July 9, 2003. Prior to retirement, he practiced in Phoenix for 36 years. A World War II veteran, Dr. Hubbard served in the Army. His wife, Patricia; a son; a daughter; and a stepson survive him.
Memorials may be made to the Alzheimer's Association of Arizona, 1028 E. McDowell Road, Phoenix 85006-2622; or the Hospice of Arizona, 2222 W. Northern Ave., Suite A-100, Phoenix, AZ 85021.
Jerald W. Kleckler
Dr. Kleckler (ILL '59), 68, Orangeville, Ill., died Aug. 29, 2003. Following graduation and until retirement in 1997, he was in mixed practice in the Orangeville area. Dr. Kleckler was a member of the board of directors of the Community Bank of Orangeville-Winslow-Warren-Lena and a trustee for the Orangeville Volunteer Fire Department.
Memorials may be made to the Orangeville Volunteer Fire Department, Orangeville, IL 61060.
|Manford E. Mansfield |
Dr. Mansfield (KSU '45), 85, McCune, Kan., died July 22, 2003. Before retiring in 1984, he was a professor of veterinary medicine at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Following graduation, Dr. Mansfied practiced in Rockwell City, Iowa, for three years. In 1948, he joined the faculty of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign as extension veterinarian for the state. Dr. Mansfield also began conducting research at the university's Dixon Springs Agriculture Center in 1950.
He was a veteran of the Army Air Corps. Dr. Mansfield was active in the McCune Lions Club. His son survives him. Memorials may be made to the McCune United Methodist Church, c/o Forbes-Hoffman Funeral Home, 405 Main, Parsons, KS 67357.
|Harry D. McCreedy |
Dr. McCreedy (ISU '45), 80, Bloomfield, Iowa, died Aug. 1, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1983, he practiced in Bloomfield, Ottumwa, and North English, Iowa. Dr. McCreedy was a past board member of the Davis County (Iowa) Savings Bank and past president of the Rotary Club. He is survived by three daughters and two sons.
Memorials may be made to the Bloomfield Library, 107 N. Columbia St., Bloomfield, IA 52537; Bloomfield Rotary Club, Bloomfield, IA 52537; or Davis County Dollars for Scholars, 25554 Elk Ave., Bloomfield, IA 52537.
|Allen R. Puterbaugh |
Dr. Puterbaugh (ISU '40), 86, La Jolla, Calif., died Aug. 13, 2003. Prior to retirement, he practiced at the La Jolla Veterinary Hospital for 30 years. Earlier in his career, Dr. Puterbaugh practiced in New Castle, Ind.
His four sons survive him.
|Dale E. Shaffer |
Dr. Shaffer (CAL '59), 80, Roseville, Calif., died July 26, 2003. Retired, he owned Valley Veterinary Hospital in Red Bluff, Calif., from 1959-1990. A World War II and Korean War veteran, Dr. Shaffer served in the Army Air Force.
He had been a member of the Antelope School Board. Dr. Shaffer's wife, Barbara; four sons; and four daughters survive him. His nephew, Dr. Mark Weimer (TEN '86), is a veterinarian in San Pedro, Calif.
|Edwin J. Smith |
Dr. Smith (COL '38), 87, Pueblo, Colo., died June 27, 2003. Prior to retirement in 1978, he owned the Smith Veterinary Clinic in Santa Fe, N.M. Dr. Smith is best remembered for treating a two-month-old bear cub injured in a catastrophic forest fire in the Capitan Mountains of New Mexico in 1950 (see JAVMA Feb. 15, 2000, page 476). The bear, later christened Smokey Bear, became the fire-prevention symbol for the U.S. Forest Service. During retirement, Dr. Smith and his wife, Twilla, volunteered their time to spread the word about forest fire prevention. In recognition of their service, the U.S. Forest Service, the National Association of State Foresters, and the Advertising Council Inc., honored them with the Bronze Smokey Bear Award.
Following graduation, Dr. Smith was employed as a federal meat inspector in Omaha, Neb. He then worked in New Orleans and Greenville, S.C., before buying his practice in Santa Fe. Dr. Smith also served as state veterinarian for the Santa Fe Downs Racetrack for eight years and as secretary for the New Mexico Board of Veterinary Medicine for 10 years. He also treated laboratory animals at Los Alamos. Dr. Smith was a past president of the New Mexico VMA.
He is survived by his wife, Twilla; two sons; a daughter; three stepsons; and a stepdaughter. His brother, Dr. Earl D. Smith (COL '44), is a retired veterinarian in Battlement Mesa, Colo. Dr. Smith's granddaughter, Dr. Kathy Dobesh (COL '90), and her husband, Dr. Michael Dobesh (COL '90), own the Smith Veterinary Clinic in Santa Fe. Memorials may be made to Meals on Wheels or Cooperative Care Center, c/o Montgomery and Steward Funeral Directors Inc., 1317 N. Main St., Pueblo, CO 81003.
|Nickolas J. Sojka |
Dr. Sojka (KSU '58), 69, Afton, Va., died June 16, 2003. He was professor emeritus of medical education at the University of Virginia. Early in his career, Dr. Sojka practiced in Storm Lake, Iowa, and served with the Department of Agriculture's marketing service in Harrisonburg, Va. He then worked as an associate in veterinary medicine at Duke University before embarking on his 32-year career with the University of Virginia. During his tenure at the university, Dr. Sojka served as director of the vivarium, founded and chaired the Department of Comparative Medicine, and conducted research on reproductive physiology.
A member of the Virginia VMA, Dr. Sojka received its Veterinary Service Award in 1996. He had served as chair of the association's Animal Well-Being Committee. Dr. Sojka was a past president of the Blue Ridge VMA. Active in civic life, he was a director of the Farm Credit Bank of the Virginias, a two-term member of the Charlottesville-Albemarle Planning Commission, and a board member of the Virginia Agri-Business.
Dr. Sojka's wife, Eleanor, and three sons survive him. Memorials may be made to the Virginia Technology Fund for Dr. Nickolas Joseph Sojka, VA-MD Regional College of Veterinary Medicine, Phase III, Duck Pond Drive, Blacksburg, VA 24061.