July 15, 2003

 

 Obituaries - July 15, 2003

Posted on June 30, 2003
 

Memorial contributions to the American Veterinary Medical Foundation are gratefully accepted. When making such contributions, please indicate the name and address of the individual who should receive notification of your donation. Contact: AVMF 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100 Schaumburg, IL 60173-4360 (800) 248-2862, Ext. 6689 www.avmf.org


AVMA Honor Roll Member
AVMA Member
Nonmember 

M. Earl Boyer

Dr. Boyer (ISU '39), 92, Freeport, Ill., died Feb. 12, 2003. Prior to retirement, he practiced in Freeport, Lena, and Cedarville, Ill., for almost 40 years. Dr. Boyer donated heifers and traveled to Liberia as part of the Heifer Project International.

He served on the board of the Freeport School District and sponsored the Boyer Colloquium at Highland Community College, a program focusing on the inter-relationship of economics, ethics, and ecology. Dr. Boyer is survived by his son and daughter.

Carol A. Bryda

Dr. Bryda (TUF '00), 35, Granville, N.Y., died May 6, 2003. She practiced large animal medicine at Granville Veterinary Service for two years. Earlier in her career, Dr. Bryda practiced at Derby Pond Animal Hospital in Derby Line, Vt. She was a member of the AABP. Dr. Bryda's husband, George Bovret, survives her. Memorials may be made to the North Country SPCA, P.O. Box 171, Queensbury, NY 02839.

Robert F. Burns

Dr. Burns (MSU '47), 79, Lemon Grove, Calif., died May 1, 2003. Retired since 1991, he founded the Lemon Grove Veterinary Hospital in 1955. Early in his career, Dr. Burns owned a farm practice in Rockford, Mich. He was a life member and past president of the San Diego County VMA. Dr. Burns was also a life member of the California VMA. He was appointed to the California Board of Examiners in Veterinary Medicine by Governor Pat Brown.

Dr. Burns was a Navy veteran of World War II, attached to the Marine Corps at Parris Island. He had served as mayor of Lemon Grove, and as a member of the city council and the Fire District and Transit boards. Dr. Burns' wife, Jackie; two sons; and a daughter survive him. Memorials may be made to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society, 8775 Gibbs Drive, San Diego, CA 92123.

Herman F. Dieterich

Dr. Dieterich (TEX '52), 73, Del Norte, Colo., died April 28, 2003. He co-founded the Frisco Creek Wildlife Hospital and Rehabilitation Center in the San Luis Valley, Colo., in 1989. During his career, Dr. Dieterich established practices in Texas, including one in Richardson and a referral surgical practice in Dallas. A diplomate of the American College of Veterinary Surgeons, he served as an adjunct assistant professor in the Department of Medicine and Surgery at Texas A&M University College of Veterinary Medicine.

Active in organized veterinary medicine, Dr. Dieterich was a past president of the Dallas County VMA, the Texas Academy of Veterinary Practice, and the Veterinary Orthopedic Society. He served as district director and program chair for the Texas VMA, and chaired the association's Education Committee. Dr. Dietrich also chaired the committee that wrote the charter for the Texas Academy of Veterinary Practice.

His many honors include the Colorado VMA Achievement of 50 Years in Veterinary Medicine Award, the Professional Achievement Award for Wildlife Management from the Colorado chapter of the Wildlife Society, and recognition by the Colorado Division of Wildlife for supporting the international project to reintroduce Canada lynx into Colorado.

Dr. Dieterich is survived by his wife, Susan; two sons; two daughters; one stepson; and one stepdaughter. Memorials may be made to the Frisco Creek Wildlife and Rehabilitation Center, P.O. Box 488, Del Norte, CO 81132.

Raymond C. Elam

Dr. Elam (GA '58), 69, Columbia, S.C., died April 11, 2003. He owned Elam Animal Hospital in Columbia since 1978. Prior to that, Dr. Elam owned Elam Animal Clinic in West Columbia, S.C., and Ambassador Animal Hospital in Columbia. Dr. Elam was an Army veteran, serving as a lieutenant in Korea.

An avid pilot, he was active in the South Carolina Aviation Association and the Sport Aviation Association. Dr. Elam was also a member of the Flying Club, Airport Owners and Pilots Association, and Experimental Aircraft Association. His wife, Margaret; five sons; and four daughters survive him.

A. J. Mabry

Dr. Mabry (COL '47), 76, Seminole, Texas, died May 2, 2003. Prior to retirement, he was in mixed practice in Seminole. Dr. Mabry was involved with the Aftosa program in Mexico, a Mexican-American commission established for the eradication of foot-and-mouth disease. He was a member of the Texas VMA.

Dr. Mabry had served in the Air Force. He is survived by his son. Dr. Mabry's nephew, Dr. Rob Moreland (TEX '72), is a veterinarian in El Paso, Texas.

James C. Mullins

Dr. Mullins (TEX '52), 83, College Station, Texas, died April 14, 2003. Prior to retirement, he worked as a veterinary medical officer for the Department of Agriculture in Clarksville, Tenn., for 20 years. Following graduation, Dr. Mullins owned Mullins Veterinary Clinic, a mixed practice in Clarksdale, Miss., for 20 years. He was a past president of the Mississippi VMA.

A World War II veteran, Dr. Mullins served with General Patton's 3rd Army during the Battle of the Bulge. He was a recipient of the Bronze Star. Dr. Mullins was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and the American Legion. Memorials may be made to the American Cancer Society, P.O. Box 102454, Atlanta, GA 30368-2454.

Samuel S. Rubin

Dr. Rubin (OKL '67), 67, Linwood, N.J., died March 30, 2003. He owned Rubin Veterinary Hospital in Marmora, N.J. A member of the New Jersey VMA, Dr. Rubin had served on its executive board. He was a founding member of the Southeastern New Jersey VMA, being named its Veterinarian of the Year in 1982.

Memorials may be made to the Oklahoma State University Foundation, P.O. Box 1749, Stillwater, OK 74076-1749.

Charles H. Skinner

Dr. Skinner (MSU '47), 84, Indianapolis, died May 2, 2003. Retired since 1981, he owned Northern Heights Pet Hospital in Indianapolis for 19 years. Prior to that, Dr. Skinner owned a large animal practice for 16 years in the Colfax-Thornton area of Indiana.

A member of the Indiana VMA, he was appointed to the Indiana State Board of Health by Governor Otis Bowen. Dr. Skinner was an Army veteran of World War II, serving as a combat medic in Europe. He was awarded the Bronze Star and the Purple Heart.

Dr. Skinner is survived by a daughter and two sons. Memorials may be made to the Murat Shrine Transportation Fund, c/o Murat Shrine Temple, 510 N. New Jersey St., Indianapolis, IN 46204; or the American Veterinary Medical Foundation, 1931 N. Meacham Road, Suite 100, Schaumburg, IL 60173.